PDA

View Full Version : Cork Hibs

Paddy Ramone
14/01/2004, 2:05 PM
Does anybody have any information on Cork Hibs? When were they formed and when did they disband? Were Cork Hibs called after Scottish Hibs? The Co Cork Irish Nationalist MP Tim Healy was a patron of the Edinbugh Hibs. Edinburgh Hibs visited to Cork in the 30's and a trophy was presented to the Hibs manager Willie McCartney and they also played Cork Hibs in the early 70's. Were there any other links?

Seanie
14/01/2004, 2:11 PM
I can't remember the exact year Cork Hibs were formed, but the name Hibs come from the AOH club - the Ancient Order of Hibernians. The AOH had always been committed to staying an amateur even though they actually owned Flower Lodge (now - and unfortunately Pairc Ui Rinn) so founded a sister club so to speak.

Shed End John
15/01/2004, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by Paddy Ramone
Does anybody have any information on Cork Hibs? When were they formed and when did they disband?

I'll ask my dad about it, he was about 16-18 years old in the Hibs/Celtic heydays. I do know that Evergreen United/Cork Celtic lasted from 1953-1978 or so, making the longest surviving team in the chequered history of Cork soccer.