PDA

View Full Version : Setanta in trouble. Bad news for exiles

Noelys Guitar
01/06/2009, 8:12 PM
Watching Ireland games live in pubs around the globe might soon become a problem.
http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article6395582.ece

pineapple stu
01/06/2009, 8:16 PM
Could be bad news for the LoI too. Setanta Cup's a nice little money earner for the top clubs.

Colbert Report
01/06/2009, 10:37 PM
Terrible news! How else will we get to watch football here in Canada?

irishfan86
01/06/2009, 10:50 PM
Terrible news! How else will we get to watch football here in Canada?

Setanta increased our access to soccer, but it also reduced the amount of soccer on basic cable.

Pre-setanta, we could expect about 3 games free on a Saturday, and one or two on a Sunday.

Now we have to pay $15 for Setanta and everyone gets one match on a Saturday and one match on a Sunday free.

Given the demand for the EPL, I wouldn't be surprised if Sportsnet and/or TheScore decided to bring back the old setup or offer even more games on basic cable.

Maybe GolTV or Fox Sports could enter the picture as well to fill the void.

Colbert Report
01/06/2009, 11:05 PM
I'm not talking about the weekend matches. Setanta ALWAYS had the Monday game, and anytime there was a midweek match, they'd have that too. There's nothing better than coming home from work and watching a match taped from earlier in the day. Sportsnet sucks, they have one Saturday 10am EST match on, but not live, it is a five minute delay (terrible for betting in-running, let me tell you.) Setanta had the Saturday lunchtime match (7.45am EST, then one 3pm English time match, and then the late game as well.)

You get one 11am Sunday game on The Score, and nothing except for Champions League matches on TSN. GolTV and FSN have Spanish and Italian football, but no English. This is a big big blow to us here in Canada. I've been watching matches live in pubs for $20 a shot at my local here in Calgary. Will that even be available anymore?

irishfan86
01/06/2009, 11:09 PM
I'm not talking about the weekend matches. Setanta ALWAYS had the Monday game, and anytime there was a midweek match, they'd have that too. There's nothing better than coming home from work and watching a match taped from earlier in the day. Sportsnet sucks, they have one Saturday 10am EST match on, but not live, it is a five minute delay (terrible for betting in-running, let me tell you.) Setanta had the Saturday lunchtime match (7.45am EST, then one 3pm English time match, and then the late game as well.)

You get one 11am Sunday game on The Score, and nothing except for Champions League matches on TSN. GolTV and FSN have Spanish and Italian football, but no English. This is a big big blow to us here in Canada. I've been watching matches live in pubs for $20 a shot at my local here in Calgary. Will that even be available anymore?

Before Setanta, Fox Sports World Canada showed Monday and mid-week matches at only $5 a month vs $15.

There is no doubt that Setanta is more comprehensive, but it also means a lot of low-income fans can't watch soccer on TV.

theworm2345
01/06/2009, 11:19 PM
I'd be ****ed if they go out, I've been a subscribers for a long time (2005? when they only showed CCC and hadn't got EPL rights yet) and in order to get Fox Soccer on DirecTV you have to get a whole different package. They force the pubs to charge a $20 cover fee at to show the Ireland games so I wouldn't mind that not being shown (I watch on streams) but I'd still be ****ed. They're also my only outlet for Blue Square Premier highlights.

Crosby87
02/06/2009, 1:26 AM
I hate Setanta with a passion and if they go away FoxSoccer will maybe pick up the slack. Murdoch is savvy that way. Now that fox has the rights to the Champions League maybe they will add a second soccer channel or show games on FX or something.

Drumcondra 69er
02/06/2009, 9:54 AM
Sky are determined to see off Setanta, that was the only reason they went for teh extra package of games last time the deal was up for renewal. They're moving in for teh kill now and will have no qualms about kicking them when they're down.

Sky have always operated that way, they only managed to survive themselves in the early 90's by some very dubious dealing over the first Premier League deal when they were fighting it out with ITV. Allegedly. They would have gone bust themselves had they not secured those rights.

I hate their coverage to be honest, complrehensive it may be but they've had a huge amount to do with the dumbing down of coverage and analysis on sports coverage. Jamie Redknapp and Andy Gray ffs, utter garbage.....

Metrostars
02/06/2009, 12:34 PM
For those of us in North America, I'm sure FSC will pick up most of the footie slack if Setanta went. But we'll lose out on GAA and Rugby coverage.

billybunter
02/06/2009, 5:19 PM
I hate Setanta with a passion and if they go away FoxSoccer will maybe pick up the slack. Murdoch is savvy that way. Now that fox has the rights to the Champions League maybe they will add a second soccer channel or show games on FX or something.

I guarantee no one hates them more than me. Will post a few reasons why once i get home tonight.

*Though I will say the starter of this thread (noely's) has bailed me out with links to games in the past, and for that i am grateful !

shakermaker1982
09/06/2009, 11:27 AM
I'll be gutted about the GAA coverage going.

paul_oshea
09/06/2009, 11:50 AM
shaker pm me as i might know a way around it

strangeirish
12/06/2009, 10:44 AM
There may be hope (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0612/breaking21.htm) yet.

markmc
22/06/2009, 9:38 PM
Setanta Ireland will still exist, definately. So exiles need not worry. Its only the British arms thats in trouble and thats a different company. The Irish operation still makes money..

IsMiseSean
22/06/2009, 10:42 PM
After hearing this evening that setanta has lost its Premier League rights, should I cancel my subscription or will setanta Ireland still have some games live on a saturday 3pm KO.
I only subscribed to watch EPL games and the occasional Magners League game.