PDA

View Full Version : League Cup semi final

pineapple stu
01/06/2009, 7:54 PM
Home to Waterford. Will take that, though I'd have preferred Sligo. First Division representation in the final again.

colmanthesaint
01/06/2009, 10:59 PM
Home to Waterford. Will take that, though I'd have preferred Sligo. First Division representation in the final again.

being a bit picky there Stu in wanting Sligo, considering it was could only have been either Bohs, Shamrock Rovers or Waterford!!!

It's the game which gives the team the best chance to get to the final (Premier division sides should be stronger), but it's still a game against a very good Waterford team.

Will be tough and I'm not sure the key members of the first team can be dropped/rested in order to advance.

DmanDmythDledge
02/06/2009, 8:07 AM
being a bit picky there Stu in wanting Sligo, considering it was could only have been either Bohs, Shamrock Rovers or Waterford!!!
It is Sligo who are left, not Rovers.;)

pineapple stu
02/06/2009, 8:43 AM
It's the game which gives the team the best chance to get to the final (Premier division sides should be stronger), but it's still a game against a very good Waterford team.
Absolutely, but I'd like another chance (after Galway) to see how the current team would fare against Premier Division opposition. Longer-term thinking, I suppose.

colmanthesaint
02/06/2009, 11:02 AM

HA! My bad! :o

HarpoJoyce
02/06/2009, 5:12 PM
Happy with that.
Very glad we avoided the "don't you understand we are in Europe" whinge-fest so far in the League Cup. They are making noises early in the competition. There may be an Irish club on the TV if it's on the Tuesday 04th August, hope there is anyway.

We have a significant history of Cup games against Waterford Utd. Including FAI Cup semis and First Division Shield Finals first leg especially.
Looking forward to it.

Rory H
02/06/2009, 10:47 PM
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Stttuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MMVIII
03/06/2009, 12:22 AM

pineapple stu
21/06/2009, 7:06 PM
LOL at dmanetc thanking the post above and not having a notion what it was about actually! :D

Anyways, this game is on Tuesday 4 August at 7:45pm.

Rovers1
21/06/2009, 8:33 PM
I would also like to say 'Hi Stu'

LOL at everyone.

DmanDmythDledge
21/06/2009, 8:39 PM
LOL at dmanetc thanking the post above and not having a notion what it was about actually! :D
Doesn't matter it made me laugh.;)

And I think I can cos what was said in the main forum at the time.;)

Rovers fan
21/06/2009, 8:40 PM
I would also like to say 'Hi Stu'

You didn't pronouce it properly, it's:

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii Sttttuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Rovers1
21/06/2009, 8:46 PM
you didn't pronouce it properly, it's:

Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii sttttuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

just.like.that

pineapple stu
22/06/2009, 8:43 AM
And I think I can cos what was said in the main forum at the time.;)
Damn you!

Anyways, Tuesday the 4th.

HarpoJoyce
04/08/2009, 3:34 PM
Looking forward to this now. We've always respected this competition, even if some of our fans haven't. But they come around when we get to that latter stages like they always supported the League Cup.

Should be a good match, I think Waterford Utd. are favourites because we haven't won a 'big match' since the Galway Utd. game in the last round. But this could go to penalties at the same time. (We'll have Ger Barron in nets by then won't we?)

CF1989
05/08/2009, 12:51 AM

it was rovers, not shamrock

pineapple stu
05/08/2009, 8:54 AM
Oh well. Beaten by the best side in the division. The 22nd will be a doubly tough game now.

Red card was ridiculous, though the game was lost by then obviously. Penalty was bizarre, although I called it at the time. Looking at the video, I'm not so sure what I saw.

Schumi
05/08/2009, 1:34 PM
Disappointing second half, very poor defending for the goals. I'd hope Waterford can go on and win it but I'm not hopeful.

blue til i die
05/08/2009, 2:44 PM
Oh well. Beaten by the best side in the division. The 22nd will be a doubly tough game now.

Red card was ridiculous, though the game was lost by then obviously. Penalty was bizarre, although I called it at the time. Looking at the video, I'm not so sure what I saw.

Yeah, didnt quite understand the red card either, but the ref was right in front of it,so...i dono, looked like he kicked out at him or something, but game was well over at that stage anyway.
I thought the penalty was for a push on your striker as he went up to try head it, very harsh though.

The game itself wasnt bad. First half was poor enough but second half was much better. Your right winger (number 7??) was having a great game in the first half, made some great runs. Finn got alot of ball, but seemed to just want to beat players and not pass it. First two goals were good, two good crosses, but your keeper didnt look comfortable coming for crosses all night.
Cummins is just in unbelievable form, 20th goal of the season for a guy signed as a centre half :D

Schumi
05/08/2009, 2:47 PM
your keeper didnt look comfortable coming for crosses all night.

All season.

pineapple stu
05/08/2009, 2:59 PM
Yeah, didnt quite understand the red card either, but the ref was right in front of it,so...i dono, looked like he kicked out at him or something,
The ball ran ahead of him, your lad went in to tackle and Mulhall stood on his ankle, I think. Nothing malicious about it at all; was genuinely going for the ball and there was a split second between when the ball was there and when it was shielded by your lad's leg. Silly decision, but it's the only thing I can make of it.

Poor Student
05/08/2009, 6:40 PM
Well done to Waterford, good luck in the final.

I'm really gutted. I felt we had the better of the play in the first half but we lacked any credible threat. Waterford's goals were well worked and once the second went in we lost our impetus. I do feel a better keeper may have kept those chances out though. Waterford absorbed our better spells and hit us when it mattered. While the revenue from the final would have been welcome, you can't help but feel we could have been like Wexford last year. Hopefully Waterford will hold their own against Bohs.

HarpoJoyce
05/08/2009, 7:26 PM
Well done to Waterford, good luck in the final.

I'm really gutted. I felt we had the better of the play in the first half but we lacked any credible threat. Waterford's goals were well worked and once the second went in we lost our impetus. I do feel a better keeper may have kept those chances out though. Waterford absorbed our better spells and hit us when it mattered. While the revenue from the final would have been welcome, you can't help but feel we could have been like Wexford last year. Hopefully Waterford will hold their own against Bohs.

This is closest to how I'm thinking. Waterford had cleaner chances in the first half and before the first goal but I think UCD should have scored McMillans header early on especially. We were on the back foot after the first goal and Waterford kept the pressure on after Cummins scored Waterford's second goal aswell.
But when it wasn't going their way, at nil-nil, Waterford were happy to swing the elbow including Kevin Waters on Ronan Finn.
Thought Mulhall stamped on the player and I understand Devine was on his mobile after the game and was mentioning "his groceries" and that he was looking at a "bunch of grapes".
Good atmosphere and Waterford came to make some noise.
Good luck to them in the Final, I hope they win it for the Setanta Cup place (if it's awarded).

Angus
05/08/2009, 8:35 PM
It was interesting because I only arrived after half time and thought Waterford were super - best I have seen this season

pineapple stu
06/08/2009, 8:44 AM
I do feel a better keeper may have kept those chances out though.
First was a free header at the back post; arguably keeper's ball to begin with. Second was poor footwork. Third was awful defending to leave the Waterford lad with so much space ten yards out. But we'll learn from it.

Schumi
19/08/2009, 11:58 PM
Finally got the video of this game done. The picture quality for the first half isn't great but all the action was in the second half anyway.

Nqmfifz90D4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqmfifz90D4

blue til i die
20/08/2009, 12:51 AM
Fair play lads, nice to see it again :D