PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool Legends V Celtic Legends

D Brannigan
31/05/2009, 8:49 PM
Last year a Sligo Rovers Legends side took on the Liverpool Legends in what was a great family occasion in the Showgrounds. Liverpool won 2-0 that day and this year they will return to defend their title. However facing them will be them famous green and white hoops as they take on the Celtic Legends. The Celtic Legends boast some of the greatest names to ever play for the Hoops including the likes of Tom Boyd, Frank McAvennie, Johan Mjallby, Joe Miller, Regi Blinker, Darren Jackson, Owen Archdeacon and Lee Martin among many other famous names. Liverpool will line out with the same names that graced the Showgrounds turf last year including the likes of Alan Kennedy, Phil Neal, Gary Gillespie, John Wark and Ian Rush in their squad. While this year they have been boosted by the addition of former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan, John Aldridge and Jason McAteer along with former England international Rob Jones.
The date for the game is Saturday July 18th with the game once again being staged in the Showgrounds. Kick-off will be 18:00 and in an effort to beat the recession blues the prices will be the same as last season. €15 for adults, €10 for students and oaps and €5 for children aged 12 and under. There will also be a special family ticket of €30 for two adults and two children aged under 12, great value for what is sure to be a great day. Also there will a dinner dance after in the Sligo Southern Hotel with a Legend sitting at each table. Tickets for the dinner cost €100 while a table for the dinner costs €1,000. The dinner last year was the highlight of the footballing calendar in Sligo and this year promises to be no different. Entertainment will once again be provided by DJ Scruffy Duffy.
Tickets for the match and the dinner go on sale at the Sligo Rovers game against Derry City and will be on sale at every home game and are also available from the Showgrounds office. Get yours early as while last year’s event was huge, this year’s will be legendary! For further information please contact either Keith O’Dwyer on 086-8235780 or Dermot Brannigan on 087-6172295.Tickets will also be on sale in Jako Sports.

sligofan4ever
31/05/2009, 9:27 PM
Will be a great money spinner for the club. Hopefully its as succesful as last year, with more bigger names in the Liverpool squad it might attract more people. Will tickets need to be bought this year or do you pay in on the day ?

D Brannigan
31/05/2009, 9:30 PM
Will be a great money spinner for the club. Hopefully its as succesful as last year, with more bigger names in the Liverpool squad it might attract more people. Will tickets need to be bought this year do you pay in on the day ?

We have 5000 tickets for sale max for this one last year we sold over 3500 if you think you can wait and try to pay on the day fine.

CarrickFan
01/06/2009, 6:03 PM
Of course i appreciate the much needed revenue but these games just make me sad!!...ur expecting between 3 and 5 thousand people to see ex players(some in their FIFTYS!!!!!!!!) and Celtic 'Legends' like REGI BLINKER!!!....why oh why oh why will they not come to see decent players in their prime play a good standard of football every second weekend in the showgrounds in those numbers...if we had crowds like that all the time most of the clubs problems would be solved.

D Brannigan
01/06/2009, 6:52 PM
Of course i appreciate the much needed revenue but these games just make me sad!!...ur expecting between 3 and 5 thousand people to see ex players(some in their FIFTYS!!!!!!!!) and Celtic 'Legends' like REGI BLINKER!!!....why oh why oh why will they not come to see decent players in their prime play a good standard of football every second weekend in the showgrounds in those numbers...if we had crowds like that all the time most of the clubs problems would be solved.

Just felt I had to say thanks for all the positive to what is most definitely a major fund-raiser for the club.

Guts&Glory
01/06/2009, 10:08 PM

Two teams at the Showgrounds not involving Rovers and promoted by the club...............no thanks.

Rovers Maniac
01/06/2009, 10:24 PM
Two teams at the Showgrounds not involving Rovers and promoted by the club...............no thanks.

To be fair only for the ledgends game last year there would not be a Rovers. Anything that helps the club is surely is worth been supported by the fans !?

D Brannigan
01/06/2009, 10:44 PM

Try thinking before you speak.The legends game provided the club with funds that helped through a very difficult period.As pointed out by Rovers Maniac

CarrickFan
02/06/2009, 2:04 AM
I totally understand that..was not knocking the match or its organisers..any revenue for the club is fantastic..i was just bemaoning the fact an extra couple of thousand may turn up to see has beens but wont come to see our lads...if only the would the club could have extra revenue every two weeks!!..i hope the match is a huge success and raises loads but i will be heading to Tallaght to see the boys in action that night!!

Rovers fan
02/06/2009, 2:21 AM
Surely it's a bit stupid to have this game on the same day as an away game in Dublin:confused:

The Midget Gem
02/06/2009, 8:12 AM
I'll buy a ticket to support this.

Surely it's a bit stupid to have this game on the same day as an away game in Dublin:confused:
But I'll be at the Shams game like most on here that day.

rovers100%
02/06/2009, 9:49 AM
jesus lads the club is only looking to raise a few much needed shillings to keep us afloat. fair enuf players outta shape and far from their prime is not exactly barca coming for a friendly but its meant to be a family, party day out atmosphere. whether ya go or not couldnt we all stretch to buy a ticket, what will it be the price of 3 pints........... anything that brings revenue to the club is a good idea as far as im concerned. lets support the club and keep it alive

clubman
02/06/2009, 10:10 AM
I'll buy a ticket to support this.

But I'll be at the Shams game like most on here that day.

I'm told the Shams game will be switched to the Friday night.
As DB has said this game is a major fundraiser for the club. Yes it's sad to think the club has to do this to bring in the revenue but at the end of the day it's the club that will benifit. Last season were it not for such a venture then the club would have gone out of business and that's the fact of the matter.

Jeebus
02/06/2009, 10:17 AM

If we make it to the 2nd qualifying round of the Europe League we would be playing on the Thursday so I'd say the Shams game could be moved to Sunday just in case we do qualify.

clubman
02/06/2009, 12:04 PM
If we make it to the 2nd qualifying round of the Europe League we would be playing on the Thursday so I'd say the Shams game could be moved to Sunday just in case we do qualify.

Maybe that's what I heard

Guts&Glory
02/06/2009, 1:15 PM
Try thinking before you speak.The legends game provided the club with funds that helped through a very difficult period.As pointed out by Rovers Maniac

Dermot like everyone else here I am entitled to my opinion.

It ****%s me off no end that such a game is laid on for people who very seldom or never attend a game in the Showgies.

I went to the game last season as a Rovers legends team played in it and it was a great day and a great fundraiser for the club absolutely no qualms on that.

However my objection is that no Rovers team will be involved this season.

I appreciate this game raised some money last season but
I would like to think the yearly Lotto ticket I buy from Frank Beirne, porgrammes from Anthony Kilfeather, and support at games home and away for the last for 30 years, support and membership of various supporters clubs in the town as they came and went as well as support of the Trust activities (including all their fundraisers last season when the club were in trouble and this) and lifelong support of the club - long before many were associated with the club also helped keep the club going to this day.

This club that I HAVE SUPPORTED ALL MY LIFE, has been in many troubles over the years and each time I and my family were there to back it.

The last two seasons I have brought my two nephews to home games to give them the bug myself and my brother had since we were kids and my brother brings his own boy now as well all of them being Super Reds members.

I will be at the game tonight in Bray if you want to discuss further.

To say I am disgusted by your personal insult as PR man for the club is an understatement.

Rory H
02/06/2009, 2:04 PM

It ****%s me off no end that such a game is laid on for people who very seldom or never attend a game in the Showgies.

I went to the game last season as a Rovers legends team played in it and it was a great day and a great fundraiser for the club absolutely no qualms on that.

I would like to think the yearly Lotto ticket I buy from Frank Beirne, porgrammes from Anthony Kilfeather, and support at games home and away for the last for 30 years, support and membership of various supporters clubs in the town as they came and went as well as support of the Trust activities (including all their fundraisers last season when the club were in trouble and this) and lifelong support of the club - long before many were associated with the club also helped keep the club going to this day.

This club that I HAVE SUPPORTED ALL MY LIFE, has been in many troubles over the years and each time I and my family were there to back it.

The last two seasons I have brought my two nephews to home games to give them the bug myself and my brother had since we were kids and my brother brings his own boy now as well all of them being Super Reds members.

To say I am disgusted by your personal insult as PR man for the club is an understatement.

:O Relax. It's not laid on for the public just to please British football fans in Sligo, it is so Sligo Rovers can make a bit of money off them to help the club get through the year.

Yes it is frustrating that thousands will go to a game like this and not Rovers, but what can ya do that hasn't been already tried?

Certainly wouldn't have a go at the club for it. I think it is best to support the game, still think most of the people who attend are complete idiots because they think 50 year-olds are better than the likes of Boco, Cretaro and Peers. I say most because there will also be a lot of SR fans there to support the club's fundraiser and it might be a bit of craic.

Incidentally, the Forza Rovers group are still gathering in the Jinks for a few songs, to show the rest of them what it is like to follow their team every week and give the club a few euro.

sligofan4ever
02/06/2009, 2:19 PM
I don't think its a thing of thinking 50 year olds are better than the likes of Boco and Peers while their at their best, a couple of people I know went to the game as they wanted too see some of their favourite players from Liverpool's 80's team but never got too see them in the flesh when they were actually playing football at their very best. I like most went to help raise funds and see a couple of famous players in the flesh, aswell as some Rovers legends I never had the chance too see. One thing that I tought was annyoing last year was the lack of people in Sligo Rovers jersey's, I seen more people in Man United jersey's than the jersey of their own hometown club, a match that didnt involve Man United! but I suppose you get them at every other home game too. Whatever way you look at it, it save dour club last season, and this year is adding more much needed money to the club and will be a good day out for the family.

D Brannigan
02/06/2009, 3:49 PM

If you think that i was trying to insult you i am very sorry.I just realise that people from outside our club do visit this forum as it generated a lot of ticket sales for us last year and to see it being knocked by our own supporters my not look so good.As for speaking to you at the Bray game tonight i will not be there as i will be out of the country i would speak to you at some other point but the fact that i have not got a clue who you are does not help if you wish to make yourself known to me that would be great or if you wish give me a call anytime on 0876172295,i will be back in the country tomorrow evening.As for PR man for the club i stepped down as PRO at the clubs AGM.Once again if i insulted you it was not on purpose and i do apologize.

Guts&Glory
02/06/2009, 4:12 PM
If you think that i was trying to insult you i am very sorry.I just realise that people from outside our club do visit this forum as it generated a lot of ticket sales for us last year and to see it being knocked by our own supporters my not look so good.As for speaking to you at the Bray game tonight i will not be there as i will be out of the country i would speak to you at some other point but the fact that i have not got a clue who you are does not help if you wish to make yourself known to me that would be great or if you wish give me a call anytime on 0876172295,i will be back in the country tomorrow evening.As for PR man for the club i stepped down as PRO at the clubs AGM.Once again if i insulted you it was not on purpose and i do apologize.

I think telling anyone to 'Try thinking before you speak' would be deemed an insult.

I did not refer to any indivuidual in my comment I merely made a comment of my opinion on the match on this forum.

My name is Ronan and my mobile is 087 6269037.

Guts&Glory
02/06/2009, 4:21 PM
:O Relax. It's not laid on for the public just to please British football fans in Sligo, it is so Sligo Rovers can make a bit of money off them to help the club get through the year.

Yes it is frustrating that thousands will go to a game like this and not Rovers, but what can ya do that hasn't been already tried?

Certainly wouldn't have a go at the club for it. I think it is best to support the game, still think most of the people who attend are complete idiots because they think 50 year-olds are better than the likes of Boco, Cretaro and Peers. I say most because there will also be a lot of SR fans there to support the club's fundraiser and it might be a bit of craic.

Incidentally, the Forza Rovers group are still gathering in the Jinks for a few songs, to show the rest of them what it is like to follow their team every week and give the club a few euro.

Just giving my opinion Rory - which was rammed back at me.

I note the great work Forza do (as did MNS last night) however given I am an old shed head and now in my 30's those young fellas in Forza have a few years and decent signing lungs on me now hence this old stoger is based in the Main Stand with his nephews in tow.

spud21
02/06/2009, 4:26 PM
I think this is crazy to organise this match on the same night as the Shams game. I went to the liverpool and Rovers legends game last year and it was a fantastic day, i would like to go to this one but why would i be in the showgrounds watching these 2 teams when i can watch Rovers in Tallaght?

I think its unfair to deny the true supporters the chance to see this game, lets face it what honest supporter is going to go to this instead of the shams game??

sligofan4ever
02/06/2009, 5:50 PM
I think this is crazy to organise this match on the same night as the Shams game. I went to the liverpool and Rovers legends game last year and it was a fantastic day, i would like to go to this one but why would i be in the showgrounds watching these 2 teams when i can watch Rovers in Tallaght?

I think its unfair to deny the true supporters the chance to see this game, lets face it what honest supporter is going to go to this instead of the shams game??

I'd say the Shams game will be friday if this game is confirmed for the 16th.

SligoBrewer
02/06/2009, 5:54 PM
I note the great work Forza do (as did MNS last night) however given I am an old shed head and now in my 30's those young fellas in Forza have a few years and decent signing lungs on me now hence this old stoger is based in the Main Stand with his nephews in tow.

Excuses! Get into the Jinks with the lads!;):D

red arrow
02/06/2009, 9:23 PM
this event is first &foremost a fund raiser to help sligo rovers maintain their budget figures and generate much needed income for the club. dermot branigan did a fantastic job last year to generate k30 for the club which as somebody said helped to keep the club afloat. let me tell everyone hear now that financially things are extremley tight with sligo rovers right now and in this current enviorment it is extremlry difficult to generate much needed cash flow. i get fcuking mad when people start giving out. this is a fundraiser, thats all and the night its on may not suit everybody but focus on what it is for . THE MONEY BEING RAISED IS TO KEEP SLIGO ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB IN BUSINESS.

red_away
03/06/2009, 11:56 AM
[QUOTE=red arrow;1171214 THE MONEY BEING RAISED IS TO KEEP SLIGO ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB IN BUSINESS.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with the above - maybe some people that come for the first time might be enticed to come to rovers games after, hopefully good PR will be generated and especially revenue for the club!

Every oppportunity should be exploited even if it is unpalatable, which i dont think this is?

Maybe a few sligo legends will be sneaked into each lineup?

SligoBrewer
03/06/2009, 12:30 PM
THE MONEY BEING RAISED IS TO KEEP SLIGO ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB IN BUSINESS.

Nobody disputes that, however to some it might seem that we are promoting the very thing that we are in competition with by promoting 50 yr people who are well past it as a better alternative to going to the Showgies every second week.

God, I sound like the Gah.

Guts&Glory
03/06/2009, 1:10 PM
Nobody disputes that, however to some it might seem that we are promoting the very thing that we are in competition with by promoting 50 yr people who are well past it as a better alternative to going to the Showgies every second week.

As well as complaining all the time that barstoolers and others that stay away from the Showgies during the season are not helping the club then open the gates for their one day a season attendance - to a game that does not involve a Rovers team.

People seem to be missing the point that last seasons game, which helped but was not the sole reason the club stayed in business there were plenty of other fundraisers, involved the Rovers Legends this year there is no Rovers presence.........unless Cookie plays for the pool!!

Mr A
03/06/2009, 1:38 PM
Very, very difficult to make any serious money when you have to pay the expenses for two legends teams. It'll take a big crowd to just break even.

spud21
03/06/2009, 4:29 PM
Very, very difficult to make any serious money when you have to pay the expenses for two legends teams. It'll take a big crowd to just break even.

That's a very good point - if we can get both teams why dont we play them seperately against the rovers legends - double the income!

CarrickFan
03/06/2009, 5:14 PM
Hope it makes a fortune because when a club travels to a league match with just 13 players it obviously needs a cash injection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Redie
04/06/2009, 9:06 AM

If only we were in competition with 50 year olds - we might have a chance of winning something!

gustavo
07/06/2009, 8:23 PM
Can't add this to site at the moment so I'll put it here

Last year a Sligo Rovers Legends side took on the Liverpool Legends in what was a great family occasion in the Showgrounds. Liverpool won 2-0 that day and this year they will return to defend their title.

However facing them will be them famous green and white hoops as they take on the Celtic Legends. The Celtic Legends boast some of the greatest names to ever play for the Hoops including the likes of Tom Boyd, Frank McAvennie, Johan Mjallby, Joe Miller, Regi Blinker, Darren Jackson, Owen Archdeacon and Lee Martin among many other famous names.

Liverpool will line out with the same names that graced the Showgrounds turf last year including the likes of Alan Kennedy, Phil Neal, Gary Gillespie, John Wark and Ian Rush in their squad. While this year they have been boosted by the addition of former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan, John Aldridge and Jason McAteer along with former England international Rob Jones.

The date for the game is Saturday July 18th with the game once again being staged in the Showgrounds. Kick-off will be 18:00 and in an effort to beat the recession blues the prices will be the same as last season. €15 for adults, €10 for students and oaps and €5 for children aged 12 and under. There will also be a special family ticket of €30 for two adults and two children aged under 12, great value for what is sure to be a great day.

Also there will a dinner dance after in the Sligo Southern Hotel with a Legend sitting at each table. Tickets for the dinner cost €100 while a table for the dinner costs €1,000. The dinner last year was the highlight of the footballing calendar in Sligo and this year promises to be no different. Entertainment will once again be provided by DJ Scruffy Duffy.

Tickets for the match and the dinner are available from the Showgrounds office Monday to Friday from 10am-2pm(0719171212). Get yours early as while last year’s event was huge, this year’s will be legendary! For further information please contact either Keith O’Dwyer on 086-8235780 or Dermot Brannigan on 087-6172295.Tickets for the game only will also be on sale in Jako Spots on Markievicz Road.

sligoman
07/06/2009, 8:59 PM
Is that not the same as the first post in this thread?:confused:

avvenalaf
07/06/2009, 10:36 PM
Is that not the same as the first post in this thread?:confused:

Yeah - it's a two for one deal.

D Brannigan
14/06/2009, 6:53 PM
Last year a Sligo Rovers Legends side took on the Liverpool Legends in what was a great family occasion in the Showgrounds. Liverpool won 2-0 that day and this year they will return to defend their title. However facing them will be them famous green and white hoops as they take on the Celtic Legends. The Celtic Legends boast some of the greatest names to ever play for the Hoops including the likes of Tom Boyd, Frank McAvennie, Johan Mjallby, Joe Miller, Regi Blinker, Darren Jackson, Owen Archdeacon, Lee Martin and former Irish international Chris Morris. Liverpool will line out with the same names that graced the Showgrounds turf last year including the likes of Alan Kennedy, Phil Neal, Gary Gillespie and John Wark in their squad. While this year they have been boosted by the addition of former Irish internationals Ronnie Whelan, John Aldridge and Jason McAteer along with former England international Rob Jones.
The date for the game is Saturday July 18th with the game once again being staged in the Showgrounds. Kick-off will be 18:00 and in an effort to beat the recession blues the prices will be the same as last season. €15 for adults, €10 for students and oaps and €5 for children aged 12 and under. There will also be a special family ticket of €30 for two adults and two children aged under 12, great value for what is sure to be a great day. Also there will a dinner dance after in the Sligo Southern Hotel with a Legend sitting at each table. Tickets for the dinner cost €75 while a table for the dinner costs €750 and includes ten free match tickets for the game. The dinner last year was the highlight of the footballing calendar in Sligo and this year promises to be no different and with the new low prices there is sure to be a huge demand so make sure to get your tickets fast. Entertainment will once again be provided by DJ Scruffy Duffy.
Tickets for the match and the dinner will be on sale at every Sligo Rovers home fixture and are also available from the Showgrounds office, 071-9171212. Get yours early as while last year’s event was huge, this year’s will be legendary! For further information please contact either Keith O’Dwyer on 086-8235780 or Dermot Brannigan on 087-6172295.Tickets for the game only will also be on sale in Jako Spots on Markievicz Road. Dinner tickets and match tickets are also available from the Sligo Southern Hotel, 071-9162101.