PDA

View Full Version : Bray on Tuesday

Pages : [1] 2

Rory H
31/05/2009, 7:13 PM
www.sligorovers.com

or

www.twitter.com/sligorovers

If anyone wants to copy and paste it from the website for those who can't access it feel free. My copy and paste function is ballsed. Cheers.

gustavo
31/05/2009, 7:52 PM
Sligo Rovers injury woes took another turn for the worse on Thursday last when striker Stephen Parkhouse was taken from the training ground in an ambulance having gone over on his ankle as well as injuring his knee the club are awaiting the results of a scan but he is likely to be out for some time.Mauro Almeida and Sean Doherty will face late fitness tests for the game against Bray on Tuesday,while Romuald Boco is on international duty

Alty Rover
31/05/2009, 9:16 PM
I am flying from Manchester to Dublin for the Bray game on Tuesday.I am planning to get a bus from the Airport to Dublin City Centre & then take the DART to Bray.Is that the best route?

SligoBrewer
31/05/2009, 10:33 PM
I am flying from Manchester to Dublin for the Bray game on Tuesday.I am planning to get a bus from the Airport to Dublin City Centre & then take the DART to Bray.Is that the best route?

Yes, the Dart station at Bray couldn't be any closer to the ground.

red arrow
01/06/2009, 9:52 AM
how many games is boco going to miss. am i right in saying bray, derry and cork. if so this is a huge loss. anybody know exactly what the correct anser is?

sligoman
01/06/2009, 10:52 AM
He's playing at home to Sudan on the 7th June and away to Mali on the 21st. So he'll be out for the next 4 games afaik.

nechayev
01/06/2009, 2:45 PM
i assume (just to be social!) we'll all be getting hammered on cheap LIDL cooking larger up some dark alleyway near the ground?

or perhaps quaffing a few martinis in some reputable establishment in the vicinity?

any suggestions?

DIMITRI

sticking my scrawny neck out i'll go for a t'rrific 2:1 away victory!

(this 2:1 predictions got to come right SOMETIME!)

Rory H
01/06/2009, 2:51 PM
hibernian bar is just beside the ground, will be a few us of there from 6. At the beach from 5 for a swim :)

nechayev
01/06/2009, 4:11 PM
thanks R - see youse there

DIMITRI

you? in trunks......? brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....!

Alty Rover
01/06/2009, 7:50 PM
Yes, the Dart station at Bray couldn't be any closer to the ground.

Thanks SligoBrewer.I assume that you are a Burton Albion & Rovers supporter!

Mayo Red
02/06/2009, 8:03 AM
Good to have Raf back for this one, especially when we're missing Boco. We need a win here to keep the momentum going, I'll go for a hopeful 1-0 to Rovers!

clubman
02/06/2009, 10:14 AM
Good to have Raf back for this one, especially when we're missing Boco. We need a win here to keep the momentum going, I'll go for a hopeful 1-0 to Rovers!

Personally I don't think Boco will be missed. As I didn't get to the game in Dundalk I have to rely on what I read here. It may not have been pretty at Oriel but a win is a win. Watching MNS last night and I'm confused with the non celebration of Cookie for Keane's wonderstrike. What's your thoughts?

dong
02/06/2009, 3:36 PM
Going to be a cracking evening for a game. Always liked the Carlisle grounds for some reason. They are a capable enough side and play some decent stuff under Gormeley but I think we should be expecting a win. A loss would be very disappointing considering our decent form of late. Probably be a small enough Rovers contingent up considering mid week but hopefully we can put them away.

dublinred
02/06/2009, 7:26 PM
1up raf

dublinred
02/06/2009, 7:27 PM
1 1 og

dublinred
02/06/2009, 7:58 PM
2 1 down

dublinred
02/06/2009, 8:35 PM
3 1 down dodgy peno in injury time

Updates courtesy of Jeebus

sligofan4ever
02/06/2009, 8:39 PM
Ragin :( should've been able to come away with a draw but it wa salways going to be hard with a depleted squad.

SligoBrewer
02/06/2009, 8:51 PM
Thanks SligoBrewer.I assume that you are a Burton Albion & Rovers supporter!

Brewers follower, Rovers supporter!;)

red arrow
02/06/2009, 9:00 PM
was almeida on for this game? what was the team line up?

dong
02/06/2009, 9:09 PM
Brush
Keane
Ventre
Peers
Holmes
Morrisson
O'Grady
Ryan
Cash
Cretaro
Feeney (although I'm not too sure if he counts as he didn't really play, just stood around)

This was a fully deserved defeat by a crowd of part timers. We did okay first half but we showed very little after they went ahead. I know Morrisson hit the post late on but they also hit the woodwork. I can't figure out how we could be worse than these, but somehow we are. Sure, they can play a bit but they're not up to much.
Ref and linesmen were a disgrace but what's new.

SligoBrewer
02/06/2009, 9:14 PM
http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11463/1/

sligored
02/06/2009, 9:17 PM
1 outfield sub - the reserves must be hopeless.

Rovers Maniac
02/06/2009, 10:05 PM
No i think the rest of the young lads were all doing leaving cert exams or starting them tomorrow.

Ah just back to be fair we started really well, but we conceded from a mad deflection within 30 seconds (Edit)'of scoring ourselves'. Bray murdered us down both wings after and on numerous times we were caught square across the back. Bray came as us very strong early in the first half and should have scored. We almost made it 2-2 only for Owen Morrison's shot to come back of the post. Anyway we need to get caught for a third in injury time. I have no complaints just one of those night when things did not run for you and you have to take your beaten. Bray are not the worst side in this league and playd some decent ball although us playing so square did not help.

Rory H
02/06/2009, 10:39 PM
Better team for most of the game but didn't have it up front one bit, wouldn't say it was one of those nights. Bray had a bit of luck but we shoulda scored at least 2.

Leaving Cert, well I could name at least five "A" team players who aren't doing it and could be on the bench. Maybe they wouldn't be good enough, but would be nice to fill the bench instead of looking like a bigger joke.

Rovers Maniac
02/06/2009, 10:58 PM
Better team for most of the game but didn't have it up front one bit, wouldn't say it was one of those nights. Bray had a bit of luck but we shoulda scored at least 2.

Leaving Cert, well I could name at least five "A" team players who aren't doing it and could be on the bench. Maybe they wouldn't be good enough, but would be nice to fill the bench instead of looking like a bigger joke.

We must have been a different games Rory, thought Bray deserved it to be fair to them. They got their tactics spot in the second half and knew exactly what to do to win the game and where to attack. Although we could have snatched a draw in the end i thought on the night best team won.

Rory H
02/06/2009, 11:08 PM
Maybe you are right Maniac, we had an awful lot of the ball and maybe that is in mind when I'm saying we were the better team.

rovers100%
02/06/2009, 11:13 PM
We must have been a different games Rory, thought Bray deserved it to be fair to them. They got their tactics spot in the second half and knew exactly what to do to win the game and where to attack. Although we could have snatched a draw in the end i thought on the night best team won.

i agree, we didnt deserve a win there. a farce turning up at a game with one outfield sub, i feel it was another one of cookies stunts to get new players like at the start of the season, i love cookie and if thats the only way the board will listen, well be it. the last time i seen us with a striker as bad as feeney was darren jack !!!. in his defence i dont think he is a forward but he is by far the slowest player i have seen since mojlby played in showgies against the legends. we have no midfield whatsoever and the strikers when boco and raf are upfront are starved of service. we need new blood in midfield badly. i try to be positive but lets face facts we are playing not 50% as good as last season. we robbed 3 points against dundalk, met a poor galway side, struggled against pats, got hammered by shams and out played by bray. we are not gonna get relegated but silverware looks less likely the more i watch us and as for europe we will go out in 1st round unless the draw is good to us(which is not to often) it kills me to watch us so poor and people will say its injuries. we only done without boco, almeida and doherty and morrison was there for doherty really cos cash played all last season. it was only 2 down in reality. we need new players to liven up the squad. we look like we lack fight, drive, creativity and ambition this year. bad nite for the bit o red.

Rory H
02/06/2009, 11:20 PM
Love the way the Galway/Dundalk wins were just flukes now.

We're gona go out 1st round of Europe?? You don't even know who we're playing yet!

I agree, we're nowhere near as good as least year. We're in a battle, the bottom six is just that, we're well capable of finishing top of that group though.

One of the most disappointing things tonight for me was our support. 100 fans there tonight, 5 singing. You only hear the other 95 when we're losing, Have great respect for people going like, but it would just be nice if they got behind the team in a more vocal way.

sligored
02/06/2009, 11:24 PM
What about paul mct leaving the squad . makes us look a laughing stock with 1 outfield sub . ffs is cookie trying to prove a point by bringing only 1 - where were mcloughlin torpey noctor etc. Gary curran , jim sheridan , ian rossi , dave odowd playing for travel expenses at first division clubs. Surely some A players or under 20s would have benefitted from inclusion in a match day squad.

Last week in galway derry had 3 players stretchered off. I know it did not happen but what would the response on here be to us leading 2-1 with 5 mins to go and being reduced to 10 men including ciaran kelly due to injuries. Bray score an equaliser and cost us points that we can scarcely afford to drop.

I would have brought my own boots if i had known things were going to be that bad.

Unprofessional imo.

rovers100%
02/06/2009, 11:28 PM
i said against galway we had no midfield and also against dundalk i said we were poor, go back and read my posts. i would rather come on here and say we were brill and i see great things for the future but i would be lying. that was what it was........ poor. do you dispute that we have no midfield or that feeney is a poor makeshift striker. are you honestly saying that was a good performance

Rory H
02/06/2009, 11:32 PM
Never said it was a good display. Just that I don't think we should discredit the team for the wins against Dundalk/Galway.

Feeney, ya he is probably a poor makeshift striker. We don't have many high quality makeshift strikers unfortunately.

Rovers Maniac
02/06/2009, 11:36 PM
I think a good central midfielder would go a long way to make us a decent side. Now there are not easy to come by fair enough but if we do we will see a major improvement in our team in my view. It won't cure all the ills but it will make a major difference as we will be able to get down the middle.

Is there any chance of Getting Gary Curran back? He was man of the match last season v Harps and then dropped pretty much after that? He would be have been handy this season to have in the squad

rovers100%
02/06/2009, 11:37 PM
i dont want to put them down but this year im coming away from games and saying we were poor and not playing well and your actually going away from games in a bad mood and depressed. last year even games we lost we were unlucky and could have got something outta nearly every game where as this year its a different story. we have 2 excellent strikers but they cant do anything if starved off good service. my big problem is with a non excistent midfield rory, anyone who wants to argue the midfield is playing up to standards this year i would like to hear it.

Rory H
02/06/2009, 11:47 PM
That's a fair point. I don't like being too hard on them because, we had 12 players tonight, whether it was a stunt by Cook to not bring young players, would anyone be that stupid when you think we could get 3 injuries? I doubt it. But 12 players, so you do your best. Tonight, we couldn't change it when it was 2-1, except bring on Danny K and that was hardly gona do much, no disrespct to him cos he looks a great player, but no experience yet. It isn't v fair to compare some things with last, we performed a fair few minor miracles at times then and you cant expect us to do it the whole time.

Depressed? If I looked depressed tonight, it is cos of sunburn :D

And cos Rovers lost ;)

rovers100%
02/06/2009, 11:55 PM
i dont like being hard either but its like watching your girlfriend cheat and saying nothing watching that tonight and not commenting. the hardest part is we know we can do so much better and we have some top class players at the club and if things were to click and improve we could well do a top 5 finish. remember we are one of the full time clubs in the league. that bray team were for the beating tonite and dundalk and galway were too but we made hard work of it. drogheda and pats were poor and we failed to beat them either. apart from derry and bohs we have not played well and got points and rode our luck. 2 or 3 signings i feel we could get things back on track

sligoman
03/06/2009, 12:10 AM
Shocking stuff tonight.
:o

MMVIII
03/06/2009, 12:14 AM
We were beaten by a better team tonight. Not a lot of effort being put in by the team bar the likes of Gavin Peers, Alan Keane, Conor O' Grady, and even in saying that none of these apart from Peersey really had a good game. Ventre was very unlucky for the own goal, although not sure he really needed to even jump for the ball as from where I was it looked to be going nowhere, but we can just put that down to bad luck.

In the midfield nobody had a brilliant game. Though Cash played well at times, played a few nice balls, but like Feeney is really stuck for pace, really beginning to think he just isn't good enough for this level of football. (And before anybody says anything, im not running him down, im just giving my opinion. I'm all for encouraging players but he really isnt) Richie Ryan played a good few bad balls tonight and O'Grady seemed to lose possesion a bit and not retain possesion which is unusual for him.

Really don't know what to say about Morrison. He has the potential to be such a brilliant player its unreal. He could have made bits of those defenders tonight, as he did on one or two occasions, but it seems he's just not arsed. Although, towards the end he did seem to put in that extra bit. Raf, compared to his usual standard, didn't play great either. As somebody else said tonight, he constantly walks back from offside positions when instead he could be looking to make a run or whatever. Feeney, really cannot play centre forward. I really don't know what Cook was thinking playing him up front today, although the fact that we had one outfield sub probably was the reason for that. The few times Feeney has played centre back this season he has played far better than he ever did up front.

What was with the fact that we only had 2 subs? I really cant understand why some of these A-team players aren't jumping at the chance to even get some first team experience, even if it is only warming the bench. Im sure most of us here would have brought our own boots if we knew this would be the case :D Another thing, what is with Mauro? He plays one game and then "picks up a knock" for the next. If he's gone through all these medical tests and nothing is found wrong with him, why isnt he shown the door? Dont understand why we don't give him the sack as its obvious there's nothing wrong with him. Was nice to see Chrissy Butler there tonight as well. Praying that he'll make a full comeback.

All in all, we were very poor tonight. Looked unproffesional. No talking at all on the pitch. We were beaten by a team which we should be well capable of beating and easily at that, just like earlier in the season. With all the players missing for Friday, I really think were gonna be in for a long depressing night. :(

rovers100%
03/06/2009, 12:26 AM
raf spends so much time chasing down lost causes of balls up to him ya cant blame him for walking back. i cant see boco staying around with the service he is getting. having boco and raf and starving them off the service is like putting diesel into a ferrari, your just never gonna get the potential outta it. on a positive note peers has to be the best defender in the country at the minute. he is absolutely top drawer. a real richard dunne/vidic mould of a defender. he played a marvelous long pass tonight in the 1st half too. we are priveledged to have him every bit as vital as seamie was to the club if not more

sligoman
03/06/2009, 12:29 AM
Gavin Peers is ridiculously under-rated. He wins every ball and is totally committed, unlike plenty others in the team.

rovers100%
03/06/2009, 12:32 AM
question is can we keep him sligoman...... a few in england may come knocking. hopefully july we can bring in a few players to shake the lads up a bit. in fairness the starting 11 know they are almost guaranteed a game no matter how theey perform as squad is so small

1st time post
03/06/2009, 1:22 AM
Love the way the Galway/Dundalk wins were just flukes now.

We're gona go out 1st round of Europe?? You don't even know who we're playing yet!

I agree, we're nowhere near as good as least year. We're in a battle, the bottom six is just that, we're well capable of finishing top of that group though.

One of the most disappointing things tonight for me was our support. 100 fans there tonight, 5 singing. You only hear the other 95 when we're losing, Have great respect for people going like, but it would just be nice if they got behind the team in a more vocal way.

In fairness mate i woz 1 of the other 95 ther and i dont think ya can say you only hear them when we lose we were obviously just there supporting the team we love,i have nithing but respect for ye lads that sing and put on a great display but some of us who are there just go to encourage the team and i like to think if were not doing it vocally we are just doing it by been there and letting the lads know were behind them. I have been following rovers for nearly 25 years now and i remember when 100 was nearly all we would get in showgies never mind a midweek away trip and just because some of us who go dont get involved in singing is no way a need for criticising.
With regards to the game i think we were unfortunate to concede when we did and if we had gotten to half time we would have had a good chance of going on to win the game although in fairness bray probably did deserve the win because we were so poor in 2nd half

dong
03/06/2009, 1:34 AM
question is can we keep him sligoman...... a few in england may come knocking. hopefully july we can bring in a few players to shake the lads up a bit. in fairness the starting 11 know they are almost guaranteed a game no matter how theey perform as squad is so small
Question is how do we (a)attract decent players to a struggling club in the west of Ireland and (b)pay the transfer fee and wages for these players?
I agree with you that is what we need to do and the squad has to be "shaken up" as you put it, but it's a tough task in reality.

Mayo Red
03/06/2009, 7:42 AM
Not good at all lastnight, but on the bright side as regards our league position at least Galway, Pat's and Dundalk all lost aswell!

Redie
03/06/2009, 9:14 AM
Gavin Peers is ridiculously under-rated. He wins every ball and is totally committed, unlike plenty others in the team.

Don't think he is under-rated by any Rovers fans.

rovers100%
03/06/2009, 10:52 AM
I have been [quote=1st time post;1171309]In fairness mate i woz 1 of the other 95 ther and i dont think ya can say you only hear them when we lose we were obviously just there supporting the team we love,i have nithing but respect for ye lads that sing and put on a great display but some of us who are there just go to encourage the team and i like to think if were not doing it vocally we are just doing it by been there and letting the lads know were behind them.

i also was one and some fans and is just not into singing, i dont think it makes us any less commited as fans as the forza lads. i work every 2nd weekend and for most of the start of the season the home games were on my weekend on. i had to pay colleagues a days wages to work the staurday for me which is 250 euro and then drive down to sligo and back up to dublin to work the sunday. it was costing me 300 euros to go to the first 5 or 6 home games. remember we are in a recession and i have no qualms about paying this to see the bot o red and im sure there are many more like me but it saddens me to see my commitment when some players are given a great chance to play football as a pro and is not willing to put in a simular effort.

Guts&Glory
03/06/2009, 12:53 PM
Question is how do we (a)attract decent players to a struggling club in the west of Ireland and (b)pay the transfer fee and wages for these players?
I agree with you that is what we need to do and the squad has to be "shaken up" as you put it, but it's a tough task in reality.

It has been a good few years since we payed a transfer fee for any player moving to Rovers. Free Transfers and out of contract UK based players is the bread and butter of our squad.

Guts&Glory
03/06/2009, 1:04 PM
I have been [quote=1st time post;1171309]In fairness mate i woz 1 of the other 95 ther and i dont think ya can say you only hear them when we lose we were obviously just there supporting the team we love,i have nithing but respect for ye lads that sing and put on a great display but some of us who are there just go to encourage the team and i like to think if were not doing it vocally we are just doing it by been there and letting the lads know were behind them.

i also was one and some fans and is just not into singing, i dont think it makes us any less commited as fans as the forza lads. i work every 2nd weekend and for most of the start of the season the home games were on my weekend on. i had to pay colleagues a days wages to work the staurday for me which is 250 euro and then drive down to sligo and back up to dublin to work the sunday. it was costing me 300 euros to go to the first 5 or 6 home games. remember we are in a recession and i have no qualms about paying this to see the bot o red and im sure there are many more like me but it saddens me to see my commitment when some players are given a great chance to play football as a pro and is not willing to put in a simular effort.

I agree Rovers100% and 1st time post, for those of us in our 30's plus our constant singing days are past us really.

When we were singing all the time at games, for me it was the Shed, were moshes, tickertape and surges to the old fence were a regular home match occurence there were plenty of older lads in their late twenties early 30's who didn't sing along with us, its just the way a supporting life goes and doesnt dissapate our support for the club one bit.

Indeed Eddie Annand used to climb up the fence regularly at the Shed end to celebrate with the Supporters when the fence surges happened.

Rory - What would you rather that just the five lads who sing go to the games and the other 95 stay at home rather than attend in their Rovers gear and shout encouragement ?

Good song from the Bray lads.............."we only sing when we are winning!!!"........

BrayUnknowns
03/06/2009, 1:19 PM
Not that i think Sligo were terrible last night, they played some nice stuff at times. But that is the worst Sligo preformance against Bray in some time.

Only to bring 2 subs was just shocking. Not only does it make Sligo look like a schoolboy club but it also makes the league look bad. There is not ba hope in hell that Sligo only had 13 fit and available players in the whole club. What is the point in having an A or U20s team if Cook is not willing to at least put them on the bench for match day experience?

O'Connor, Massey, Webster; Coughlan, Shields; Jake Kelly, all started for us last night and have worked their way up the ranks at our club. Mulroy and Kane were on the bench and have also worked their way through the ranks. Flood, Tresson and Knight are other injured who did not make the sqaud last night.

Does Cook really expect Sligo fans to believe that his entire combined U20s and A teams were unavailable last night ? I'd be fuming if Gormley ever put a team out with 2 subs on the bench.

rovers100%
03/06/2009, 1:28 PM
surely we have some sligo/leitrim players who can make the step up. i would actually like to see the rovers playing select xi of sligo/leitrim maybe we could see is any young fella up to standard. also why have we an A team if they are not even up to the standard of warming the bench !!!