PDA

View Full Version : Brazil Tickets

Jon'o
14/01/2004, 6:45 AM
has anyone heard any news on the tickets for this game? There seems to be a feeling that the fai will sell tickets for this game and up coming games in march and april in a sort of block booking system.

I understand that the fai need to make their money back but this type of ticket allocation will price people out of the game.

:(

gspain
14/01/2004, 8:27 AM
Originally posted by Jon'o
has anyone heard any news on the tickets for this game? There seems to be a feeling that the fai will sell tickets for this game and up coming games in march and april in a sort of block booking system.

I understand that the fai need to make their money back but this type of ticket allocation will price people out of the game.

No news yet but as you say I'd be amazed if it wasn't a block booking system with the Cezech Republic and possibly other home friendles.

Surely the "fans" will want to go to all the Irish games even mickey mosue ones against the 11th best team in the world, who consigned the Dutch to the playoffs and who could well win Euro2004 so anything that helps the "fans" get tickets rather than those who just want to see Brazil will benefit the "fans".

I appreciate it is difficult to stump up the cash at once for 2 or 3 games but is it better than queueing overnight outside Merrion Square.

Footie_Fan
14/01/2004, 5:27 PM

Real fans will want to go to them all, not just the Brazil match.

tiktok
14/01/2004, 8:46 PM
Originally posted by Footie_Fan
Real fans will want to go to them all, not just the Brazil match.

agreed FF, but i think the point is that not all real fans will neccessarily be able to fork over the cash for all the games in one go (there are already rumours that a third friendly will be added to the package).

three games for a real fan who wants to bring his two kids is the bones of 300euro, and right after christmas.

Jon'o
15/01/2004, 6:47 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
agreed FF, but i think the point is that not all real fans will neccessarily be able to fork over the cash for all the games in one go (there are already rumours that a third friendly will be added to the package).

three games for a real fan who wants to bring his two kids is the bones of 300euro, and right after christmas.

Thats what im saying plus there is a lot of suport including my self that live in england and get to as many matches as possible.

add in the cost of the flights and trying to get the time off work and the price gets a bit steep....... i have no problems with the idea behind a block booking i just wondered what the feeling was.

republic
15/01/2004, 9:56 AM

The usual ticket allocation procedures will apply. The vast majority will be allocated to those who are regular block bookers - many of whom have been block booking for a decade or more. The rest will be allocated through clubs and leagues. It is unlikely that many, if any, tickets will go on general sale.

The assertion that this type of ticket allocation "will price people out of the game" is rubbish.

Footie_Fan
15/01/2004, 7:10 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
hree games for a real fan who wants to bring his two kids is the bones of 300euro, and right after christmas.

No doubt this is a costly process. But it is the only way that real fans can ensure their tickets for the big matches such as Brazil. It also ensures the FAI get income from all three matches not just the Brazil one.

Peadar
16/01/2004, 1:43 PM

Block booking isn't about lump sums!
You are on a list, when the game comes up you request/accept your ticket and then pay for it when they're made available.
If you fail to take your ticket, you're off the list AFAIK.

gspain
16/01/2004, 1:47 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Block booking isn't about lump sums!
You are on a list, when the game comes up you request/accept your ticket and then pay for it when they're made available.
If you fail to take your ticket, you're off the list AFAIK.

If you don't take them for competitive games you fall off the list.

However some friends have not been taking friendlies and still get their competitive tickets.

This would be the first linking of friendlies of it happens (got different numbers last year for friendlies).

babybusby
16/01/2004, 9:50 PM
Dont know how it works in the rest of the country but in the west we have to block book. if we dont take tickets for the smaller friendlies we dont get tickets for the rest and it IS the fairest way. that way the REAL fans get the tickets.

All those 6 hour round trips were worth it to see that mcateer goal agianst holland!!!!!!!!!!!!

ProfFrink
20/01/2004, 12:36 PM
Only 22,000 showed up for the Canada match. Would it not be fair to say that anyone who went to that match and can prove it deserves to get a chance to get a ticket for the Brazil and Czech match. Those 22,000 weren't there to see the superstars they were there for the Irish guys - which is what we want i'd assume.

fergalr
20/01/2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by ProfFrink
Only 22,000 showed up for the Canada match. Would it not be fair to say that anyone who went to that match and can prove it deserves to get a chance to get a ticket for the Brazil and Czech match. Those 22,000 weren't there to see the superstars they were there for the Irish guys - which is what we want i'd assume.
agree 100%

lively
20/01/2004, 12:55 PM
how's it going lads (& ladettes), am new on the case here...

agree with PFs idea, doing something along those lines would cut out a lot of the 'baggage' that 'toddles' along to the bigger games

republic
20/01/2004, 1:30 PM
The latest news on this is that the FAI will not rip people off by increasing the cost of match tickets especially for the Brazil game. However it is likely that the tickets for this match will be sold as a three match package which is likely to comprise of:

February 18 - Brazil
March - Czech Republic
May - probably Latvia

In this way each of the three games are guaranteed sell-outs of 48,000. The exorbitant match fee Brazil are charging will be easily covered by capacity attendances at all three games and the FAI make a tidy profit all round.

Incidentally an away game in Poland in April is looking likely along with the USA tour in the summer.

Junior
20/01/2004, 1:42 PM
Originally posted by ProfFrink

Aye, that will gurantee that the true fans get a ticket:confused:

Forget about the guy who's been to the last 20, 30 or 40 games home and away but missed the last friendly against Canada as obviously he's not a 'REAL' Fan:confused: :confused:

Agree, that we should try and prioritse tickets based on those fans that devote themselves to Home/Away, Competitivie/Friendly fixtures, but just cos someone goes to one bleedin friendly against a ****e team doesn't put you in that category!!!

babybusby
20/01/2004, 9:54 PM
Here we go with the whole "whos a true fan" arguement again!!
The way i see it, anyone who takes the time to log on here is a fan so no need for the paranoid rant Junior
You were at the last 40 home/away games! Well done. Thats good going from Manchester. What did you think of Japan? It will be a long time before ill be on a trip like that again.

Junior
21/01/2004, 11:43 AM
Wasn't talking about myself as it happens, and I agree with you I hate this 'the true fans, 'real supporters' ******. But if you read a lot of posts on this forum there often seems to be reference to these 'Real' fans yet I still don't know the definition of one.

As for Japan, trip of a lifetime:) :) heres hoping for many more of them!!!

lopez
21/01/2004, 1:22 PM
Was at first heartened to see the FAI put aside 4,000 tickets for kids, as they want to welcome a new generation of fan to Irish internationals. However these are I hear for the terraces. Is an under ten expected to stand on the terraces looking at the a*se of the bloke in front of him all night? :confused:

As for 'real fans' this argument could go on all night. I was in Iran for two nights without a drink while every Irish in the world - apart from 500 supporters dodging Qibla Cola bottles and kebabs - were getting boll*cksed. I want to be first in the queue...and get a medal like Muttley.:rolleyes:

Schumi
21/01/2004, 1:26 PM
Originally posted by lopez
Was at first heartened to see the FAI put aside 4,000 tickets for kids, as they want to welcome a new generation of fan to Irish internationals. However these are I hear for the terraces. Is an under ten expected to stand on the terraces looking at the a*se of the bloke in front of him all night? :confused: They've reduced the capacity by 4 or 5,000 to allow for these kids' tickets so maybe they'll have a specific kids' area that they'll only half fill or something.

Bald Student
21/01/2004, 3:15 PM
For the rugby games the very left hand side of the south terrace is for schoolboy and schoolgirl tickets only. It is devided again into two sections for younger (primary school) and older children. There are no adults in that section so everyone gets a good view. I presume that it will be the same for the soccer.

Beavis
21/01/2004, 11:58 PM
I think people like Lopez,who went to Iran(God knows I would have if wasn't a broke student) should definitely be given priority when it comes to games.The same discussion is had among Dublin fans regularly,you go to every Championship and league game but as soon as we get to the Leinster final you cam't get a ticket for love nor money.

But what's to be done?I'd propose that if you can present your ticket stubs from away and home at Merrion Square that they should guarentee you a ticket (they'd mark the ticket so they couldn't be shared around).

For 2G such as Junior it's a different story,evey home game comes at the expense of an away game but to the Irish living population if some games your just 'not @rsed',then I would gladly brand them as partimers

lopez
22/01/2004, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by Beavis
I think people like Lopez,who went to Iran(God knows I would have if wasn't a broke student) should definitely be given priority when it comes to games...
Beavis, thanks for your support but I was only messing about being a priority. There are various arguments that should prioritise who gets tickets. I don't go to home games much so I shouldn't get a ticket in front of anyone else just because Brazil are in town.

What makes me sick is the sight of mates who had been to every away game of the last campaign (and the one before) plus the friendlies in Athens and Glasgow standing outside Basel Stadium when I know there are people inside who are part-timers there just so they can tell the mates at work. The FAI have IMO got it right for the home games. Block bookings (season tickets in effect) will favour the committed fan, and for the games you can't get to, you can always give/sell them to someone else. It's the away tickets that the FAI f*ck up on. They need some sort of registry scheme like what happens with the Scots and Tans. Just because someone goes to all the home games doesn't mean he should jump the queue for crunch, easy to get to, full of Irish bars, away games.

BTW, Iran is a brilliant country, and I would not have preferred to be at home with twelve pints rolling down my throat. Shame I only had two nights.

soccerc
22/01/2004, 2:18 PM
The FAI have IMO got it right for the home games. Block bookings (season tickets in effect) will favour the committed fan, and for the games you can't get to, you can always give/sell them to someone else. It's the away tickets that the FAI f*ck up on. They need some sort of registry scheme like what happens with the Scots and Tans. Just because someone goes to all the home games doesn't mean he should jump the queue for crunch, easy to get to, full of Irish bars, away games.

Rightly so, and I know that this is something being seriously considered by the FAI.

Indeed, the eircom League fans initiative has helped this process along and I would say has been instrumental in seeing a new system being introduced in the very near future.

Watch this space!

Peadar
22/01/2004, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by soccerc
Rightly so, and I know that this is something being seriously considered by the FAI.

Something needs to be sorted for the short term anyway.
Realistically we'll have at least two international qualifying campaigns to play before we have a new stadium to play in.
As it stands the ticket situation is poorly managed and plays directly into the hands of touts.

Ozymandias
22/01/2004, 4:21 PM
Lads all the FAI have to do is introduce a loyalty system...most FA's and clubs have them.....It would nmake life simpler and would have meant I would have got a ticket for Basel NAd not get let down by Euroteam and scalped by a tout for a finish

C'mon Fran....do the decent thing

gspain
23/01/2004, 8:12 AM
Beavis, thanks for your support but I was only messing about being a priority. There are various arguments that should prioritise who gets tickets. I don't go to home games much so I shouldn't get a ticket in front of anyone else just because Brazil are in town.

What makes me sick is the sight of mates who had been to every away game of the last campaign (and the one before) plus the friendlies in Athens and Glasgow standing outside Basel Stadium when I know there are people inside who are part-timers there just so they can tell the mates at work. The FAI have IMO got it right for the home games. Block bookings (season tickets in effect) will favour the committed fan, and for the games you can't get to, you can always give/sell them to someone else. It's the away tickets that the FAI f*ck up on. They need some sort of registry scheme like what happens with the Scots and Tans. Just because someone goes to all the home games doesn't mean he should jump the queue for crunch, easy to get to, full of Irish bars, away games.

BTW, Iran is a brilliant country, and I would not have preferred to be at home with twelve pints rolling down my throat. Shame I only had two nights.

Agreed definitely need a travel club of sorts for the away games. Tartan Army seems like a good model. Ditto for major finals then - if you thought Basle was bad imagine the queue if we'd qualified and got the same numbe rof tickets for a smaller ground in Portugal.

In fairness though it was the first ever away game (outside of major finals) that there was a real issue with tickets (Brussels 97 was a problem but I think everyone got in in the end that travelled)

lopez
23/01/2004, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by gspain
In fairness though it was the first ever away game (outside of major finals) that there was a real issue with tickets (Brussels 97 was a problem but I think everyone got in in the end that travelled)
It shows how bad the problem is with the event junkies that we've had two crunch away qualifiers and two play-offs, of which of the four, three have been in less than salubrious cities (Skopje, Bursa and Tehran), and where tickets have not been a problem. I can understand the cost factor (for Tehran the Ray Crazy travel and co. were I heard asking a £1000) but you can always get cheaper flights if people looked around (I paid £550 for Tehran). The cost for many isn't a problem. Taking account the price of a pint of Guinness in a Basel Irish pub, are shows that the event junkies are far from bothered about money.

BTW, is it me or does anyone agree with that 'Irish' pubs (as in theme pubs as opposed to pubs where the Irish community drink, which may go by the name of The King William of Orange) in foreign cities are best avoided.

sylvo
24/01/2004, 8:45 PM
You drink in Irish bar's in place's like, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol, Liverpool, Hemel Hempstead, New york, Boston, Sydney etc. place's where there are massive Irish emigrant community's, but in place's in europe where Ireland are playing it's people with golf club's and day trip itinary that bev in them bar's and the beer alway's much more expensive, waxie o'shamrock's in the Faroe island's will be rocking

lopez
25/01/2004, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by sylvo
You drink in Irish bar's in place's like, London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Bristol, Liverpool, Hemel Hempstead, New york, Boston, Sydney etc. place's where there are massive Irish emigrant community's, but in place's in europe where Ireland are playing it's people with golf club's and day trip itinary that bev in them bar's and the beer alway's much more expensive, waxie o'shamrock's in the Faroe island's will be rocking
It'll be rocking expensive.

BTW, I've moved from Harlem Hempstead to Luton. I've been told that there is a 'papist' team there where I can go along for a no-nonsense chucky - oke, so I was.:D