PDA

View Full Version : Derry

Neil
13/01/2004, 8:30 PM
....are playing Saturday nights this season.
makes it easier to get there than Thursday anyway...
Would be a good weekend trip

Colm
13/01/2004, 8:38 PM
That will certainly increase our travelling support in Derry by quite a bit I'd say.
Could be good weekender alright.

It was near impossible for people to get to Derry on a thursday. Thursday is a silly night to play anyway.
Did I hear somewhere that Dublin City are going to be playing Thursdays?

Neil
14/01/2004, 8:18 AM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
They are playing thursdays i think because Shels use tolka on a friday night! are rovers using tolka? When will they play?

Saturday morning after the A-Team

tiktok
14/01/2004, 9:50 AM
Originally posted by xtreme rebel
They are playing thursdays i think ......

but haven't the FAI more or less forbidden thursday night games. I know Dykes has said it was in their Derry's best interest to move to saturdays as many players now live away form the city, but AFAIK, the FAI also gave a push in that direction so that all EL games would take place on Fri/Sat and help avoid the fixture mess of last season.

thecorner
14/01/2004, 9:58 AM
great stuff

have cousins living up there and was gonna take the thursday off this season to travel up

good weekender now itll be

Eric
14/01/2004, 11:27 AM
I had a mate living up there last year so travelled up for one of the games. He reckoned that it was a great spot at the weekends and the ladies were very pleasing on the eye too!!!!

I reckon I'll make both games there this year if they are on saturdays

niamh
14/01/2004, 12:59 PM
Should mean that more City fans make the journey. Playing on a Sat nite will be better for all the travelling teams.

paudie
14/01/2004, 1:02 PM
Yippee!

Saturday game in Derry has the makings of a very good away trip!

They must have had no away fans with Thursday night games.

Neil
14/01/2004, 1:06 PM
you know what I'm just waiting to happen though...

"Well we're playing ye on a Saturday night now so ye have to play us on a Saturday night down in Cork....."

jofyisgod
14/01/2004, 5:20 PM
That will happen soon, for sure. They always have to go and cause arguments every season. Saturday is better though, for all parties. Bigger away support, and i suppose they'd get a bigger home support?

MariborKev
14/01/2004, 7:21 PM
Short memories lads

When we played on Saturday nights there were few Cork fans who came to the games

The whole reason that we moved to Thursdays is that we get more fans- with a 2,400 sell out nearly guaranteed for every game we can't worry abvout larger crowds

paudie
16/01/2004, 2:27 PM
Maribor, we're not saying that hundreds of Cork City fans will go to every away game at the Brandywell but there will be more than at Thursday games.

whats that about 2,400 capacity at the Brandywell?

tiktok
16/01/2004, 2:54 PM
Originally posted by Maribor
When we played on Saturday nights there were few Cork fans who came to the games

to be fair Maribor, over the last two seasons the core support (ie those there for every game) for city has increased, and the numbers travelling to away games has been getting better. It might only mean an extra ten or twenty going, but it's still an extra ten or twenty.

Peadar
16/01/2004, 4:01 PM
Originally posted by Eric
He reckoned that it was a great spot at the weekends and the ladies were very pleasing on the eye too!!!!

When they used to play us on a Sunday I made the trip a few times on the Saturday and stayed in The Strand Hotel. It's a bit like a Jury's Inn. Grand spot. When you're on the Strand you're close to some great pubs and clubs. Very friendly town but at first you'd be a bit wary of some of the hard looking lads knocking around. The accent usually goes down a treat with the ladies. The place is full of Celtic shirts though.

pineapple stu
16/01/2004, 4:43 PM
Originally posted by paudie
what's that about 2,400 capacity at the Brandywell?

Isn't that the official capacity now after UEFA licencing? Terraces can't count for capacity any more.

MariborKev
16/01/2004, 9:27 PM
Properly constructed terracing can

Apparently ours has absestos in the roof and has to be removed and the council are to tumble it and show no signs of redevelop it

pete
20/01/2004, 2:49 PM
Terracing may not be allowed in Uefa comps but nobody said they can't be used for national comps.