PDA

View Full Version : Cork City 2005

liam88
13/01/2004, 7:56 PM
Hey,
Can anyone give me some infor on the offite tournament, teams, grounds etc.
LAst time I was in the City the row about the Gaelic stadium was at it's height, any change?
Cheers lads,
Liam :D

NorthoftheLee
14/01/2004, 8:26 AM
Huh? what you talking about willis???:confused:

tiktok
14/01/2004, 9:54 AM
Liam, are you talking about the suggestion that Cork City would play a tournament against football teams from other cities which were recent cities of culture?
I've not heard anything about that since it was touted initially to be honest, but i saw somewhere recently that the closing date for suggestions/proposals for the celebrations over 2005 has recently passed. So I wouldn't be holding my breath.

I'm afraid that apart from that your post left me confused;)

ccfc till i die
14/01/2004, 3:22 PM
A match at pairc ui caoimh between liverpool and real madrid was proposed.

adamcarr
14/01/2004, 5:04 PM
i can remember on red fm dolan was trying to organise a mini tournament at the cross with liverpool, real madrid, sporting lisbon and basle.
its obviosly never going to happen though

liam88
14/01/2004, 5:31 PM
That would probably be what I'm talking about. Ain't been round for a while and goodness knows what's going on with my spelling of footie, cheers.

A face
14/01/2004, 7:30 PM
Does anyone know what the football community from county Cork are going to be doing for it ??

liam88
15/01/2004, 7:54 PM
Originally posted by adamcarr
was trying to organise a mini tournament at the cross with liverpool, real madrid, sporting lisbon and basle.

Good idea for a tournie:

Cork City-obviously
Cobh Ramblers-Well yeah I would say that, but we're nieghbours :D
Celtic-See who the Celtic fans in Cork support when the teams meet
Ireland-It'd be like the 'Premiership Asian cup' with Newcastle, Chelse, Birmingham and Malaysia ;)

Sorry it's a completly random idea-just think it would be funny to see :rolleyes:

tiktok
15/01/2004, 9:08 PM
Originally posted by liam88
Celtic-See who the Celtic fans in Cork support when the teams meet

Believe me, it'd be Celtic. That was proven a few years back when we played them in a friendly.

City played in Europe against Ljepjas Metalurgs and the club sold one celtic ticket for every Euro ticket bought before the game, even though the Celtic game was a massive sell-out, very few of the 'Cork Football Fans' actually bothered to watch the european game despite the fact they all had tickets.

liam88
15/01/2004, 9:41 PM
I think that's a bit of a shame.
If Celtic and Rambs ever met I'd be with Rambs all the way despite the fact I am one o' the biggest Celtic fans you'll meet.
Ditching your local team for Celtic encourages anti-Celtic views, after all htat's what most of the anti-Celtic argument are based on.
What was the score in the end?
Good luck in the new season,
Liam

A face
15/01/2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
very few of the 'Cork Football Fans' actually bothered to watch the european game despite the fact they all had tickets.

Ditching your local team for Celtic encourages anti-Celtic views

You see, that is the thing .... most of the "Cork Football Fans" dont have a team to ditch before the game.

You're dead right man, Total Anti-Sell-Thick views, I can remember something i posted recently about them all burning in hell and it wouldn't be good enough for them and i stand by it.

liam88
16/01/2004, 6:20 AM
Yea I read that one.
That includes me as a full blown Celtic fan although i'd always support Rambs if we ever met ;)

tiktok
16/01/2004, 8:16 AM
What was the score in the end?

memory is surprisingly hazy, my eyes must have been damaged by all the away shirts in the shed, but I'm 99% sure we lost 3-2.
all that sticks in my head is a fan in the derrynane nearly losing a head as a celtic player smashed the ball out for a throw.

dcnags
16/01/2004, 10:16 PM
i think our goals were a penalty and jimmy mull, i have the programme upstairs somewhere.

Counting Crow
16/01/2004, 11:54 PM
A friend of mine is a Villa fan ( now there's a laugh ) and he actually calls them "we" when talking about them in conversation i.e. "we lost to Arsenal" or "we're going to be relegated if we leave O'Leary in charge" yet when he talks about City he says "they" like "they are a waste of time" etc.

This guy is born and bread in Cork city. Is very passionate about Cork and it's culture, loves his "mam more than anwan else", "hates Dubs" etc, etc........ and get this, is pasionately Republican and hates all things English such as their culture, national anthem at matches etc.

It's unbelievable to listen to. Yet he'll claim total alliegence to Villa.

Someday in the future, scientists will discover that R Murdoch invented a way of hypnotising these vulnerable people and brainwashing them into thinking they were English fans every Sunday afternoon........

......don't laugh!

pete
20/01/2004, 3:12 PM
Get some of those Munster/Cork MEPs to earn their cash & get some Northern European teams (on mid winter break) over for some high profile games?

Pat Cash is Euro Parliament President so he must have some influence...

Schumi
20/01/2004, 3:23 PM
Originally posted by pete
Pat Cash is Euro Parliament President so he must have some influence... :D I think you mean Pat Cox.

A face
20/01/2004, 4:12 PM
Originally posted by pete
Pat Cash is Euro Parliament President

Sheeze ... there is some racket going on there !! :)

pete
20/01/2004, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
:D I think you mean Pat Cox.

Nope. Pat Cox is some sort of skier or something isn't he.

Definitely Pat Cash.

:)