PDA

View Full Version : Brazil for Dublin on 18 Feb

soccerc
12/01/2004, 5:15 PM
http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=11829&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes

Plastic Paddy
12/01/2004, 5:22 PM
mmm... :D

:D PP

Footie_Fan
12/01/2004, 7:17 PM
I cannot wait! :)

The mighty Brazil should be a great match. What kind of team do you think they will have out?

Fair play to Rooney on getting that one.

Czech's in March is an exciting one as well.

Jon'o
12/01/2004, 7:47 PM
Originally posted by Footie_Fan
I cannot wait! :)

The mighty Brazil should be a great match. What kind of team do you think they will have out?

Fair play to Rooney on getting that one.

Czech's in March is an exciting one as well.

i saw them play jamicia in england this august they put a full strength side out but didnt fully commit them selfs during the game and oly won 1-0 still good to watch though

Jon'o
12/01/2004, 8:33 PM
Originally posted by davros
Fair play? to the FAI......pity we don't/won't/can't?have a decent stadia to host them in.

good point but we have to make the most of what we have got at the moment. prehaps two fingers to be shown in the direction of the gaa they could have had a share of the gate...

on the positive side it will be a great test for the players and a great game for the fans, im sure the crowd will make the atmosphere just as intense as filling the ground twice over.

bring them on!!

tiktok
12/01/2004, 9:01 PM
Originally posted by davros
Fair play? to the FAI......pity we don't/won't/can't?have a decent stadia to host them in.

I don't know Davros, I get the sneaky feeling that things are starting to improve there (though i've been wishing that for years now).

We were all quick to slag the FAI off when we thought Jamaica and China were on the way, and now that we have two extremely high quality and high profile games on the way we should give credit where it's due.

As for the stadium issue, I think the overtures that Rooney is making and the reported deals being touted for Parkhead, Anfield, etc. are being wisely used to keep pressure on Bertie to deliver on a commitment on a Landsdowne's redevelopment (and if one is made, FIFA should allow the use of Landsdowne with the bucket seats, if i read their position correctly).

I know that we'll have to accept three years without Landsdowne if the development goes ahead, but I think the GAA are more liokely to open Croker if it's a short term deal, which would be a good move for all concerned.

Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist but i think the demand for tickets for the Brazil and Czech games might give the government a none too friendly reminder that a 22,000 seater landsdowne isn't going to keep the public happy.

For Brazil and the Czechs, well done Fran.

brendy_éire
12/01/2004, 10:20 PM
Stuff your China, Canada and Jamaica. Well done Fran! The FAI's finally done something right. Now how bout a nice wee stadium to host teams such as Brazil and the Czech Republic. Any chance? ;)

gspain
13/01/2004, 7:38 AM
Brilliant news.

Time to settle the old debate as to who is the best left back in the world Ian Harte or Roberto Carlos. :) :)

finlma
13/01/2004, 9:04 AM
People will be allowed stand on the terraces since it's a friendly and the FAI will have no problem selling 48,000 tickets. It's probably costing them a bit to bring over Brazil too.

derm
13/01/2004, 9:09 AM
Can't wait. Sad that we can get so excited about a couple of friendlies but hey, we're all eternal optimists - even de cynical ones.

Lionel Ritchie
13/01/2004, 9:34 AM
as someone said to me earlier this morning ...Ronaldo V Richard Dunne -what a battle that'll be!!!:D

John83
13/01/2004, 9:43 AM
Woop, woop woop woop woop!
*Walking in a circle while lying on my side*

Can't see Andy Reid getting much of a run against Brazil, unless Kerr is a bit more daring than I think, though Miller could start in midfield.

tiktok
13/01/2004, 9:45 AM
Isn't Miller out injured at the moment, AFAIK he won't be back in time. I hope Kerr gives a few of the fringe players a chance, it's Brazil I know but it's still a friendly and the point is to get an idea of what we have prior to qualifiers.

I hope Kavanagh and Reid get a shot.

John83
13/01/2004, 9:55 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
I hope Kavanagh and Reid get a shot.
Kavanagh will probably start with Holland if Miller is injured. Who else is there? Carsley? Kilbane?

Reid would be well worth a run on the right wing, but I don't think Kerr will risk starting him. He'll probably feature, but only as a sub.

wws
13/01/2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
Maybe I'm just an eternal optimist but i think the demand for tickets for the Brazil and Czech games might give the government a none too friendly reminder that a 22,000 seater landsdowne isn't going to keep the public happy.

thats a bit ironic when one considers that the crowd was about that the last time Brazil came to Ireland: in and around 22,000. Irish Football fans pick and choose and can any of us honestly hand on heart predict ticket demand 10, 20 or 30 years into the future given the fickle nature of sporting support?

Robinski
13/01/2004, 10:42 AM
It's something excellent to look forwad to. Brazil! And to follow it on with the Czech Republic in March is nothing to be sneered at either.

Does this make up for Canada?

gspain
13/01/2004, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Lionel Ritchie
as someone said to me earlier this morning ...Ronaldo V Richard Dunne -what a battle that'll be!!!:D

After Kluivert and Pauletta the Honey Monster will win again hands down.

Dunne's playing great stuff with city at the moment and he is deceptively quick over 10 yards. He was also brilliant in the WC2002 qualifiers v Portugal and Holland particularly in Lisbon.

Falconblade
13/01/2004, 2:59 PM
Originally posted by gspain
Dunne's playing great stuff with city at the moment and he is deceptively quick over 10 yards.

City haven't won in 14 games. They also conceded 4 against Portsmouth on Saturday.

Great to see Brazil coming, and also to hear they plan to play a full-strength team.

Breen vs. Rivaldo... any takers? :)

carnstien
15/01/2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by gspain
After Kluivert and Pauletta the Honey Monster will win again hands down.

Dunne's playing great stuff with city at the moment and he is deceptively quick over 10 yards. He was also brilliant in the WC2002 qualifiers v Portugal and Holland particularly in Lisbon.
You must be having a laught, remember what Arsenal did to City the last time they met in the City of Manchester Stadium. City were 4-0 down after about 20 minutes, with Dunne pretty much responsible for every goal, Henry's pace and Pires' wit destroyed him. I can't even imagine what Ronaldo and Ronaldinho will do to him.

gspain
15/01/2004, 12:28 PM
Dunne has been singled oput for special praise from Keegan even during the bad run.

BTW I was at the last Brazil game and it is true the attendance was only 22,000 but they were not the same attraction then - poor world cup, not the big names of today plus we had a sellout v Belgium a couple of weeks earlier in the Euro88 qualifiers. Italy packed dalyer 3 years earlier when they were world champs with thousands outside. Brazilw as end of season too which may have reduced the crowd.

John83
15/01/2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by carnstien
You must be having a laught, remember what Arsenal did to City the last time they met in the City of Manchester Stadium. City were 4-0 down after about 20 minutes, with Dunne pretty much responsible for every goal, Henry's pace and Pires' wit destroyed him. I can't even imagine what Ronaldo and Ronaldinho will do to him.
I saw that match. Dunne was left dealing with both Pires and Henry for much of the match. Ayala, Nesta, Paul McGrath himself would struggle under those conditions.