PDA

View Full Version : andy fordham superstar

the scout
12/01/2004, 3:19 PM
saw the end of the bbc world darts competition.the winner was one of the biggest men ive ever seen he had got to be at least 35 stone.i am right in saying darts is a sport because id love to see his training sessions.(note the term sessions).surely this a hobby or passtime or something else but to call it a sport which requires zilch fitness level is a bit rich.

tetsujin1979
12/01/2004, 3:28 PM
Saw a documentary about darts before, the wife of one of the top players said she's never met a darts player who can even hold one without a few jars in him first.

Estar
12/01/2004, 3:40 PM
It's not only one of the top rated sports in the Irish Army you're in for a promotion if you can win one of the Army titles. Most Army bods can be seen training in ale house's 24 7 in Newbridge.;)

Fair play to Fordham, Darts for the Olympics:eek:

brendy_éire
12/01/2004, 4:08 PM
What I want to know, what the hell was he wearing? It looked like a curtain! :confused:

the scout
12/01/2004, 6:07 PM
we are talking marquee here my friend or at least an eight man tent.

Sheridan
13/01/2004, 8:22 AM
Nice to see an avid Rangers fan getting the recognition he deserves on these boards, maybe there's hope for us yet.

Shed End John
13/01/2004, 8:32 AM
Originally posted by Estar
Fair play to Fordham,

I'd have to say that as well. I watch the Lakeside World Championship every year and Fordham was coming close for a few years without actually winning it. Nice to see him do it at last. Plus he did it the hard way beating Ray Barneveld of Holland and fellow Englishman Mervyn King in the semi-final and final respectively.

SÓC
13/01/2004, 10:38 AM
Whats the difference between this Lakeside World Championships and the one the Phil Taylor won?

Macy
13/01/2004, 10:50 AM
Darts split over money (shocking that), so there's two World Championships. The Phil Taylor effort (BDO?) is supposed to be higher standard, but that could just be the usual sky hype....

Eric
13/01/2004, 11:20 AM
The one Phil Taylor is in is recognised as being fully professional and there is far more money involved in it through sponsorship of players etc.

The one Andy Fordham just one is only semi-professional. While most of the players are playing darts full time they are not fully recognised as being professionals. Also there world championship allows players to qualify which isn't the ase with Phil Taylor's one

the scout
13/01/2004, 11:36 AM
50 thousand sterling first prize for each of them so id say slim wasnt worried too much about which of them he won

Schumi
13/01/2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Macy
Darts split over money (shocking that), so there's two World Championships. The Phil Taylor effort (BDO?) is supposed to be higher standard, but that could just be the usual sky hype.... Taylor's one is the PDC, the one Fordham won is the BDO. The PDC is supposed to be of a higher standard although what the difference in quality is if you leave Taylor out, I'm not sure.

patsh
13/01/2004, 12:16 PM
The BBC version is much more entertaining and interesting than SKY. Bobby George is a right character, it's all a bit slightly p*ss-taking, and Bobby gave the memorable quote, when talking about King beating O'Shea in his semi-final:
"He done him up like a kipper".
You just can't get analysis like that everyday !

Sheridan
13/01/2004, 3:14 PM
Taylor "played-off" against Barneveld a few years ago and beat him fairly comprehensively (21-10 I think.)

As for BBC vs Sky, I'm SICK and TIRED of the BBC trying to turn every sporting event into a joke. Sky go to the other extreme, with their ridiculously portentous balls.

jofyisgod
13/01/2004, 5:42 PM
Andy Fordham-What a guy. He actually owns a pub, The Rose, not too far from me here over in England.

No offence to any of the players, but to be rfectly honest, as long as the players are not completely sh1t, can the average viewer actually tell the difference in standard?

Shed End John
15/01/2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by jofyisgod
No offence to any of the players, but to be rfectly honest, as long as the players are not completely sh1t, can the average viewer actually tell the difference in standard?

Easy. The better players (Fordham, Barneveld, King) will score far more 180's, 140's and 100+ than others. Also these players will more often than not finish a single game in 15 darts or less. 3 dart average is another thing to look at. Generally speaking, about 90-93 is average, 94-97 good and 98+ is excellent.

pineapple stu
15/01/2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by brendy_eire
What I want to know, what the hell was he wearing? It looked like a curtain! :confused:

Probably a moo-moo.

Add a few flowers and it'd look just like Homer Simpson's!

max power
15/01/2004, 3:19 PM
the funny thing about him is that he has a personell trainer and has lost 5 stone in the last year !!!

the sky thing came into being about 94 or so, they took all the top players by increasing the money, if the top players are in it then the quality of darts has to be higher and it is, but taylor is a tw*t.

pineapple stu
15/01/2004, 4:44 PM
There was a picture of him in The Times yesterday from 1979, when he was around 20 (years old) - he must have only been 10 stone or so!

Shed End John
16/01/2004, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by max power
but taylor is a tw*t.

A tw*t who has won 11 of the 12 PDO World Championships held to date, including an astonishing 10 in a row from 1993-2002, 11 in a row counting the Lakeside WC he won in 1992 (the last year before the split). Incidentally, Lakeside (BDO) commentator John Part of Canada is the only man to date to have beaten Taylor in a PDO World Final.

jofyisgod
16/01/2004, 5:44 PM
Originally posted by Shed End John
A tw*t who has won 11 of the 12 PDO World Championships held to date, including an astonishing 10 in a row from 1993-2002, 11 in a row counting the Lakeside WC he won in 1992 (the last year before the split). Incidentally, Lakeside (BDO) commentator John Part of Canada is the only man to date to have beaten Taylor in a PDO World Final.

He's still a tw*t though...

Estar
16/01/2004, 9:12 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
There was a picture of him in The Times yesterday from 1979, when he was around 20 (years old) - he must have only been 10 stone or so!

Similar picture in the Sun on Tuesday incredable. He said he was so skinny he could hide behind a goalpost. Fancied himself as a Roy Keane type when playing for his local pub team. Had to play under a different name because he was sent off so many times :D

the scout
17/01/2004, 12:11 PM
at a darts match once when a guy took his shot,1st dart treble 20,2nd dart single 20,3rd dart hit the wire and flew off the stage and hit a group from the local convent embedding itself in someones head.
and the scorer called out :one nun dead and eighty:D :D