PDA

View Full Version : Alan Gough Resigns

RockofGibraltar
24/05/2009, 12:41 PM
just heard there that he resigned last night:(

where do we go from here lads? bring back vinny?

http://www.ltfc.ie/news/article/?id=dc763123-fa68-4cc1-b4ed-23e4108f4c9b

Tallanted
24/05/2009, 12:55 PM
Hopefully a couple of the players who arent interested follow don't have to name them they know who they are, its desperate times its hard to know where to go from here. Kildare will be confident of catching us and unless we can turn things around they heve every right to think that

Magicme
24/05/2009, 12:59 PM
Another victim of the Mons curse.

Blue Man
24/05/2009, 1:33 PM
What was the Longford supporters' view on Gough? Was always going to be a difficult job to take on

atfconline
24/05/2009, 5:19 PM
Damnit! :mad:

Actually now that I think of it, any word on Coffey going, or might he become caretaker manager!?

howsyourtouch
24/05/2009, 5:20 PM
was always going to be a difficult job,especially without the full backing of the board...

Longfordian
24/05/2009, 5:23 PM
It's hard to know where to go from here. Gough wasn't getting the best out of the players obviously and our disciplinary record is appalling which is always a bad sign of the spirit in the team. He apparently wasn't always there for training etc either which didn't help relations with the committee. The budget is low but it wasn't impossible to find decent players on it. Athlone's is lower for starters as is Mervue's, Wexford's etc. We'll see who comes in but they need to get the players together and all pulling their weight.

Pauro 76
24/05/2009, 6:15 PM
What are we going to do about a keeper as well? Do we have back-up?

L.T.F.C.
24/05/2009, 6:54 PM
its arse the whole thing.

Martinho II
24/05/2009, 7:10 PM
Damnit! :mad:

Actually now that I think of it, any word on Coffey going, or might he become caretaker manager!?

What I heard about Coffey is that he didnt resign with gough.. whether the committee want him around is another thing. I heard this at one today in the shopping centre. I am so relieved he has departed. Spirit was at its lowest.The discipline has being shocking to say the least. What I said on this forum a few weeks ago has being vindicated. I had a feeling friday night that something was going to happen. I even said it to Magicme friday night after the match.

Two interesting and not so interesting names have thrown their hats into the ring. Mickey O'Connor who has touted himself for the harps job and Roddy Collins. I wont disclose my source but he is a prominent poster on this forum..

Keen2win
24/05/2009, 8:16 PM
What are we going to do about a keeper as well? Do we have back-up?

We already have a goalkeeper in. Fennelly. I take it ya still thaught Gough was in goal?

And ta think I thaught he was going to be the new Stephen Kenny:o:(

Tallanted
24/05/2009, 8:33 PM
Two interesting and not so interesting names have thrown their hats into the ring. Mickey O'Connor who has touted himself for the harps job and Roddy Collins. I wont disclose my source but he is a prominent poster on this forum..

Anyone who doesnt have a job at the moment is gonna get a mention so I wouldn't read anything into this.

CarrickFan
24/05/2009, 9:28 PM
Things are bad enough up there without appointing Roddy Collins!!!!!!!!!!!

Pauro 76
25/05/2009, 7:14 AM
We already have a goalkeeper in. Fennelly. I take it ya still thaught Gough was in goal?

And ta think I thaught he was going to be the new Stephen Kenny:o:(

I knew Fennelley had joined us, but wondered if Fennelley had back up?

RonnieB
25/05/2009, 11:22 AM
Had a feeling this might happen.

Salmon Coloured
25/05/2009, 11:40 AM
I got a text Sunday morning regarding this & the only way I can sum it up is,

When I got a text stating Matthews had left I was bitterly disapointed & it went on & on in my head for ages afterwards.
When I got a text that Gough had left I turned over & went back to sleep & slept soundly. I may as well have drank a glass of warm milk.

Alan Matthews is not a glass of warm milk,
Alan Gough = Lukewarm dairy produce.

RonnieB
25/05/2009, 3:36 PM
It is going to be another long season no matter who gets the job. Kildare will be improving as the season goes on and they get some more players in.

Martinho II
25/05/2009, 6:32 PM
I got a text Sunday morning regarding this & the only way I can sum it up is,

When I got a text stating Matthews had left I was bitterly disapointed & it went on & on in my head for ages afterwards.
When I got a text that Gough had left I turned over & went back to sleep & slept soundly. I may as well have drank a glass of warm milk.

Alan Matthews is not a glass of warm milk,
Alan Gough = Lukewarm dairy produce.

great comparison there salmon coloured. I texted a lot of people but there wasnt as many people that texted back compared to two years ago when matthews quit..

Martinho II
25/05/2009, 6:35 PM
It's hard to know where to go from here. Gough wasn't getting the best out of the players obviously and our disciplinary record is appalling which is always a bad sign of the spirit in the team. He apparently wasn't always there for training etc either which didn't help relations with the committee. The budget is low but it wasn't impossible to find decent players on it. Athlone's is lower for starters as is Mervue's, Wexford's etc. We'll see who comes in but they need to get the players together and all pulling their weight.

see that gough had his whinge at the club in the sun today. he should look at brendan place at the job he has done at athlone with a much lesser budget. I m afraid that he was pampered for too long and didnt really spend that much time in the first division as a player except when he was player at galway utd a few yrs ago. heard from a reliable source that coffey will be caretaker manager

Massop 10
25/05/2009, 6:37 PM
The real thing to worry about is that I hear from people in the game I have been talking to that Kildare will have a little bit of money to spend in the summer and some ok players to sign where as Longford Town have NO money and NO players WANT to play for them anymore !!!! So it realy looks like Kildare will have their tails up and will push on, can LTFC do likewise and battle to the end or get left behind ????

Longfordian
25/05/2009, 7:57 PM
I reckon we have some decent enough players if they could be coached and organised properly. Somebody like Pete Mahon or as Martinho mentioned elsewhere John Gill would do a good job if they were interested and affordable. We could be a decent club again in time, we won't be paying off debts forever, we just need a bit of heart and enthusiasm about the place again.

L.T.F.C.
27/05/2009, 6:03 PM
What I heard about Coffey is that he didnt resign with gough.. whether the committee want him around is another thing. I heard this at one today in the shopping centre. I am so relieved he has departed. Spirit was at its lowest.The discipline has being shocking to say the least. What I said on this forum a few weeks ago has being vindicated. I had a feeling friday night that something was going to happen. I even said it to Magicme friday night after the match.

Your source is clearly an idiot... LTFC wouldn't take Collins with a multi-millionaire, do you think we'd take that fool with not a penny?

Martinho II
27/05/2009, 6:22 PM
Your source is clearly an idiot... LTFC wouldn't take Collins with a multi-millionaire, do you think we'd take that fool with not a penny?

well luckily enough the person that told me this isnt a town fan but from a club up the road.. im posting from what Im told. The chances of him or o connor getting it is zero anyway. Not much people have proposed any names so far.

corkharps
27/05/2009, 8:46 PM
well luckily enough the person that told me this isnt a town fan but from a club up the road.. im posting from what Im told. The chances of him or o connor getting it is zero anyway. Not much people have proposed any names so far.

Is that friend called Michael O'Conner?:rolleyes:

Town Legend
27/05/2009, 8:57 PM
I'd like to see Gill been approached but would be surprised if he took it. There's also the likes of Tony Cousins out there but would he be in the frame of thought like Vinny that if he wasn't good enough to get it first time around why would he take it now?

And I'd rather have Collins than O'Connor!!! We're right on track to matching the 7 or whatever measly amount of points we got in his last season in charge!!! But preferably neither of them!!!

The only name at the top of my head who'd be affordable and based locally is Stephen Kelly. Now I know he didn't have success with Athlone but maybe give it to him til end of season and see where to go from here.

Rocky77
27/05/2009, 10:49 PM
Wouldn't take Tony Cousins in a fit. He had a full-time squad with Galway and only got promoted thanks to the FAI, and again in the Prem, we'd have finished ahead of them in 2007 but for the deduction.

He had one job to achieve with Kildare last year ie keep them up, and failed but for more FAI intervention. Not popular in Galway and Gough was part of that regime lets not forget.

Olander
27/05/2009, 11:29 PM
Wouldn't take Tony Cousins in a fit. He had a full-time squad with Galway and only got promoted thanks to the FAI, and again in the Prem, we'd have finished ahead of them in 2007 but for the deduction.

He had one job to achieve with Kildare last year ie keep them up, and failed but for more FAI intervention. Not popular in Galway and Gough was part of that regime lets not forget.
Most of the above is correct! but you wouldnt have finished above is in 2007. Sorry :) Superior GD

Ash
28/05/2009, 9:38 AM
Just been told that Giller was approached but turned it down.
Would have been a good appointment so I'm glad it didnt come to fruit :D

gufc2000
28/05/2009, 10:20 AM

Stay well clear if you don't want to watch hoofball for 90 minutes, he also signed alot of thrash during his time here.

Longfordian
28/05/2009, 10:48 AM

That was one of the problems aside from Roddy's winning personality, they didn't actually have any money as was proved by them not getting a look in anywhere else. They never gave us the no strings 25k Roddy had promised either!. I believe we got 2,100 out of them at one point.

Martinho II
28/05/2009, 6:38 PM
Just been told that Giller was approached but turned it down.
Would have been a good appointment so I'm glad it didnt come to fruit :D

im gutted that giller turned them down as he would have being my perfect choice of candidate. so we start all over again. by the way the source of my rumour about o'connor and collins was ash not mr o'connor!:eek:

Martinho II
29/05/2009, 6:04 PM
good piece about the town on back on todays league pullout in the mirror.the last time there was a feature on us was when Daire Doyle was interviewed before last years fai cup match..:cool:

Town Legend
29/05/2009, 8:05 PM
So who's in charge for tomorrow night? Is Coffey still about?

Longfordian
29/05/2009, 9:55 PM
Coffey presumably is in charge. I hear there's been over 20 applicants for the job. No idea how many are actual credible contenders, however I believe members of the committee are meeting people shortly or may have met some already.