PDA

View Full Version : In Irish Times today.........

avvenalaf
23/05/2009, 2:52 PM
Welcome relief for Kenna

Dundalk 0 St Patrick’s Ath 1

MARK QUIGLEY popped up with a captain’s contribution as St Patrick’s Athletic recorded their first away win since March with victory over Dundalk at Oriel Park last night.

The striker’s winning goal will relieve some of the heavy pressure on manager Jeff Kenna. The St Patrick’s boss arrived at Oriel Park amid speculation that his job had been offered to Sligo Rovers boss Paul Cook. To add to the intrigue Cook was a spectator at the match.

Quigley’s strike came against the run of play in the 33rd minute. Shaun Kelly’s driving run was halted by Jamie Harris some 25-yards from goal. Referee Richie Winter waved play on allowing David Partridge pass towards Quigley. The striker timed his run to perfection and lifted the ball brilliantly over Chris Bennion from the corner of the penalty area.

Dundalk further handed the impetus to St Pat’s on half-time when Dave Rogers was sent-off.

Only1Rovers
23/05/2009, 3:11 PM
we play Dundalk next after Galway....

Would that not give Cook every reason to be at the game?

rovers100%
24/05/2009, 9:33 AM
woulnt read too much into it dont think cookie would leave us for them it would not be a step up for a manager. eng ger land will be his next destination i would say

red bellied
24/05/2009, 11:25 AM
The Dundalk managers job could be up for the offering soon as well especially if Rovers beat them Friday night.

brianw82
24/05/2009, 6:18 PM
we play Dundalk next after Galway....

Would that not give Cook every reason to be at the game?

Aye. Some journo put 2 and 2 together and got 5.

CarrickFan
24/05/2009, 8:03 PM
Becoming manager of either Dundalk or St Pats would be a step down from managing SLIGO ROVERS FOOTBALL CLUB.

rovers100%
25/05/2009, 11:17 AM
how true carrick fan !!! i cant see dundalk lasting the year financially somehow

Hibs4Ever
25/05/2009, 11:38 AM
becoming manager of st pats would be a step down from managing sligo rovers football club.

Funniest thing I've read in quite some time

Rovers Maniac
25/05/2009, 11:47 AM
Funniest thing I've read in quite some time

What do you be reading Death notices?

rovers100%
25/05/2009, 11:55 AM
st pats historically may be a far bigger team but ye are poor this year and ye prob dont have much bigger a budget than ourselves. the only big jobs in irish soccer are bohs, derry and cork in fairness and bohs and cork are in turmoil financially. cant see cook managing another irish side in fairness.

avvenalaf
25/05/2009, 12:21 PM
st pats historically may be a far bigger team but ye are poor this year and ye prob dont have much bigger a budget than ourselves. the only big jobs in irish soccer are bohs, derry and cork in fairness and bohs and cork are in turmoil financially. cant see cook managing another irish side in fairness.

Well, no can say you're not being fair about it, anyway.

Dodge
25/05/2009, 12:23 PM
Cook's been at loads of Pats games this season. I'd put it down to him doing his research

Rovers Maniac
25/05/2009, 12:43 PM
He was up at a game before we played you earlier in the season. I think he would be mad smaller club and probably the smallest out of Shels, Bohs and Shams in the Dublin region their backer is not involved as much as he was in prvious seasons, so onl way is down. Won't be big money being given to the next manager to spend as there crowds are poorish. Any manager would see it as a step down in terms of Footbal club but handy to get home to England for the tea every evening according to Kenna.

Dodge
25/05/2009, 12:45 PM
Sorry, I should've clarified. I think he's doing research on future oppenents (Pats, Dundalk etc) of Sligo as well as possible signings (etc etc)

rovers100%
25/05/2009, 12:47 PM
Well, no can say you're not being fair about it, anyway.

i think your taking the michael outta me avvenalaf in FAIRNESS.........lol:D

CarrickFan
25/05/2009, 12:55 PM
for sure St Pats have a greater History than Rovers in terms of Silverware etc and of course i realise that we are not one of the BIG CLUBS in most peoples eyes...BUT Pats spent huge money on players and wages in the last few seasons and still couldnt win the league..sure the did the league proud in Europe and congrats to them for that..they then got rid of the manager who achieved that and replaced him with one who had a good 2 0r 3 months in his managerial career with Galway Utd..hows that working out for ye lads??...Sligo RoversFC with manager Paul Cook finished 4th last season and qualified for Europe with a squad of about 16 or so..even after we had to let many players go in July..Real TEAM SPIRIT and UNITY..something you cant BUY..The attendance at Pats V Cork in the recent televised game was shocking..Where are all yer Fans gone??..ye are in the most populated areas in the country where soccer is the NUMBER ONE sport..Rovers regularly get around 2,000 and for big matches could get near double(as a home draw in the League cup semis and our European game should show) that and we have obviously a much smaller population to pull from and unfortunatly soccer is not the main sport in this part of the country..
...I can only dream of what Paul Cook would achieve had he St Pats wage bill and Squad size..with players like Quigley,Harris etc at his disposal....but we dont and we will carry along like we always do and continue to upsets the odds so yeah IMO Cookie heading for a club like St Pats WOULD be a step down from managing SLIGO ROVERS FC.

WoodquayBoy
25/05/2009, 3:53 PM
Yeah, Cook is taking the Pats job as he was at the match. Stephen Kenny is replacing him as he was in the Showgrounds the last night, and I know Tommy Tiernan goes to the odd United match, so he is takoing over down here.

avvenalaf
25/05/2009, 5:57 PM
Yeah, Cook is taking the Pats job as he was at the match. Stephen Kenny is replacing him as he was in the Showgrounds the last night, and I know Tommy Tiernan goes to the odd United match, so he is takoing over down here.

No chance - Tommy Tiernan already has a comedy show.

WoodquayBoy
26/05/2009, 9:44 AM
No chance - Tommy Tiernan already has a comedy show.
Look at the table as it stands my friend

dong
26/05/2009, 12:08 PM
Look at the table as it stands my friend
I think you'll find he meant Drogheda Utd as Tommy Tiernan's from around there.
Bit of paronoia setting in?;)

gustavo
26/05/2009, 12:23 PM
I think you'll find he meant Drogheda Utd as Tommy Tiernan's from around there.
Bit of paronoia setting in?;)

He lives in Galway though so it's there he was referring to

Either way I think Ian Foster's job is safe for now :cool:

WoodquayBoy
26/05/2009, 4:03 PM
Tommy is from Navan, not Drogheda, and I know well what he meant, but yes, Foster well safe

Only1Rovers
27/05/2009, 4:01 PM
Tommy is from Navan, not Drogheda, and I know well what he meant, but yes, Foster well safe

He's from Donegal if the truth be known....