PDA

View Full Version : Ferguson leaves Linfield

gufc2000
21/05/2009, 9:05 PM
Linfield striker Glenn Ferguson has been released by the Windsor Park club after an 11-year spell in which he scored 261 goals for the Belfast Blues.

Even though 'Spike' will be 40 in July, his departure will come as a massive surprise to Linfield fans.
Former Lisburn Distillery star John Martin is also being let go.
But 38-year-old Noel Bailie has signed a fresh one-year deal while another defender, Jim Ervin, is staying on for another two years.

Ferguson whose Irish League career started with Ards, joined Linfield from Glenavon in 1998 for a record £55,000 and has won five Northern Ireland caps.
He is the third all-time highest scorer in Irish League football, behind Jimmy Jones and Joe Bambrick.

Graemerz
23/05/2009, 1:00 AM
Made big news up here in the North. Although I think its a good decision by DJ, I can't help but feel it could and should have been handelled much better.

waide
23/05/2009, 5:17 PM
Made big news up here in the North. Although I think its a good decision by DJ, I can't help but feel it could and should have been handelled much better.
I thought he was worth a one year deal playing a bit part from the bench,i think dj got it wrong way around with spike and noel.

balls
23/05/2009, 7:07 PM
great striker in the few irish league games i have seen down through the years on bbc etc he always seemed like a great poacher. will he retire now or move on to a different club do ya think?

Steve Bruce
24/05/2009, 7:56 PM
I think he'll play 1 more season.

Graemerz
24/05/2009, 11:24 PM
I thought he was worth a one year deal playing a bit part from the bench,i think dj got it wrong way around with spike and noel.

I think it was best to cut ties with Spike. Using Spike right we probably would have got a decent season out of him, but is it worth holding back the youth coming through for that?