PDA

View Full Version : Pats in serious bother ?

dortie
09/01/2004, 7:28 PM
Whats the real story with St Pats.....it was in our local paper today that they even tried to flog us Tony Bird for 20,000 euro ?? Can any Pats fans elaborate ?

A face
09/01/2004, 9:27 PM
How come all these money problems are only coming to light now .... why not earlier ??

To be honest .... you wouldn't know what to believe, sure there are money problems, but there always are. It is just kinda funny that they are so dramatic all of a sudden.

Dr.Nightdub
09/01/2004, 11:51 PM
Dortie, just after last season ended, Bohs fans were convinced Birdy was going to them. Guess it was your turn yesterday and then there was a Corkie on the Pats board tonight saying he's going there. Tomorrow, I'd say he'll be going to Shels, then the day after to Longford... :rolleyes:

Pats are having a meeting with the fans on Tuesday night. After that, we'll know more. Anything between now and them is pure Jackanory stuff.

A face
09/01/2004, 11:59 PM
What are the papers saying though .... i haven't seen anything written about Pats but they seem to be pulling facts out of the air, not just Pats ... the whole Bohs and Shels are going to the wall.
We dont hear from them for months yet all of a sudden some of the authors of these "hard facts" come out of the woodwork and seem to be spinning a few yarns !! :rolleyes:

brendy_éire
10/01/2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by A face
What are the papers saying though .... i haven't seen anything written about Pats

The Journal seems pretty sure about it.
http://icderry.icnetwork.co.uk/sport/page.cfm?objectid=13798083&method=full&siteid=66002&headline=Martyn%20Remains%20Loyal%20to%20Candystri pes
(down at the bottom of the page)

EireBadBoy
10/01/2004, 3:41 AM
Originally posted by Dr.Nightdub
Dortie, just after last season ended, Bohs fans were convinced Birdy was going to them. Guess it was your turn yesterday and then there was a Corkie on the Pats board tonight saying he's going there. Tomorrow, I'd say he'll be going to Shels, then the day after to Longford... :rolleyes:

Pats are having a meeting with the fans on Tuesday night. After that, we'll know more. Anything between now and them is pure Jackanory stuff.

Well, it has nothing to do with media hype or speculation. Dykes said it himself that Pat's phoned to offer Bird. Your cynicism might explain why not one person bothered to reply to my post on the Pats Forum. Ostrich syndrome no doubt! :rolleyes:

Colm
10/01/2004, 1:05 PM
Originally posted by EireBadBoy
Well, it has nothing to do with media hype or speculation. Dykes said it himself that Pat's phoned to offer Bird.

If (and that's a big if) there's any truth in this then it can only mean one of two things...
1) Pats are in serious financial bother and need to cash in on some of their better players.
2) Bird has had a falling out with Eugene McCormack and they can't work together anymore. Perhaps, this is something to do with happy family's trouble around the time of the cup final.

Dr.Nightdub
10/01/2004, 2:17 PM
EBB, media speculation is exactly what it is. Why is why I'm being calm, rather than cynical.

Leaving Birdy aside for a moment, various papers reported during the week that Shels were moving to Abbotstown with us and Bohs or alternatively that Shels were moving to Tallaght with Rovers. They can't both be right. It's the off-season, remember, the papers are gonna be full of rumour and guesswork.

By the same token, everyone was convinced Ciaran Martyn was moving to Shels. I just checked ShelsWeb and their news section still has the statement up from Pat Fenlon just before Xmas announcing the signing.

A Face is on the right track, I think. All of a sudden, there's stories left, right and centre in the press about financial difficulties at Bohs, Shels and Pats. I think it's more than coincidence myself and I think there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

As regards "ostrich syndrome" among Pats fans, you're ignoring the fact that the Pats 500 Club was told last November about the financial situation at the club, so what's coming out in public now is not exactly news to Pats fans. Things have got a bit worse since then but that's only to be expected given the fact that the club has had little income since the end of the season while players and staff still have to be paid.

A number of us have been in touch with the club and know a bit more than we did two weeks ago. We'll see what's said on Tuesday night and then see if it's the end of the world or not.

patsh
10/01/2004, 4:39 PM
I have to say that it just shows how pathetic the gutter/O'Reilly press is, and how disgraceful their attitude to the eL is. There have probably been more negative and critical articles about the eL since the season ended, that there were neurtal/supportive articles for the whole season.:rolleyes:

A face
10/01/2004, 10:10 PM
A Face is on the right track, I think. All of a sudden, there's stories left, right and centre in the press about financial difficulties at Bohs, Shels and Pats. I think it's more than coincidence myself and I think there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

Most of the stories seem to be all scandal or just menacing cynical or critical. To me .... just a punter, in the off season, reading anything eL related in the "mainstream press" and thats all i seem to be hearing. It is one thing to make a mountain out of a molehill but quite another to make them from scratch whenever seems fit.

What i am trying to say is alot of the press are getting detail and info ahead of people closily related to some of the clubs and printing stuff in a negative light as opposed to a positive or neutral/objective stance. Are they not speaking to the PR reps of the clubs just to verify anything. And if not ... why not.

I am not suggesting sing the praises but a few articles about the efforts being made by some clubs in the offseason would be good too. If even just to balance it all out. Pulling hair brained ideas out of the sky is not good press and this is why i am questioning it

I think it's more than coincidence myself and I think there's a lot more to it than meets the eye

Now i dont know what that is but it would get you thinking.
Why is it so one sided all the time ?

Also ........ Why do the clubs/FAI never come out about any of this ? They seem to sit there and take it.

dortie
11/01/2004, 10:16 AM

Dr.....If i were you Id make a point of asking a few detailed questions of your board at this meeting, Ive actually heard that Pats definately offered us Bird from a decent source ! We actually turned the offer down as our board believe 'alot more' players will be available soon from 'cash strapped' Dub clubs....!!
BTW: I am in no way gloating over your situation as indeed we were in it over 3 years ago.

Derry City learned a lesson 3 years ago.....you cannot over spend on players wages when you dont have the income to fund it. We have numerous fund raising activities now on a frequent basis and i firmly believe we are the most financially stable club in the premier. We suffered for it over the past 3 seasons (crap teams) but now we are in a situation were we can spend again (wisely).....and before anyone asks the fund-raising is now continous with a 'Development committee'.

The Dub clubs are now at a situation we already experienced.....it takes a sensible board and efforts from the ordinary fans to get finances in the black.

Good luck !

TommyT
12/01/2004, 8:13 AM
In fairness 300k isn't serious bother if your turnover is close to a million a year. Especially as they own Richmond (a significant difference to Derry)

derm
12/01/2004, 8:14 AM
Originally posted by dortie
The Dub clubs are now at a situation we already experienced.....it takes a sensible board and efforts from the ordinary fans to get finances in the black.

Good luck !

Nothing like nearly going to de wall to wake a board up a bit. A sound financial grounding is more important than gambling on success. That's why I don't think Lennox will let Dolan go wild with de cheque book.

Good luck to all teams that are facing financial difficulties

dortie
12/01/2004, 9:03 AM
Originally posted by TommyT
In fairness 300k isn't serious bother if your turnover is close to a million a year. Especially as they own Richmond (a significant difference to Derry)

A club is in 'serious' bother if it makes public its situation and 300k is a substantial loss ! And whats owning the ground got to to with it unless they sell it ??? Ok we pay rent but its not alot.

The fact is 3/4 Dublin clubs are facing reality now....I personally knew this would happen witnessing the attendances and hearing the wages some of their players were on....was only a matter of time.

Dodge
12/01/2004, 9:08 AM
Originally posted by EireBadBoy
cynicism might explain why not one person bothered to reply to my post on the Pats Forum. Ostrich syndrome no doubt! :rolleyes:
No its more to do with not knowing anything about it. Like the Doc said we've a meeting tomorrow and hopefully all will be revealed. I'll ask personally about the Tony Bird to Derry offer and get back to you.

Myself I think the club made an error in going public with the debts, especially considering they think the debt is manageable (or at least did at the end of November) Unless its part of a concerte effort from the dub clubs to seek finance, I can't see what good it'd do us...

derm
13/01/2004, 9:04 AM
Originally posted by Dodge
Unless its part of a concerte effort from the dub clubs to seek finance, I can't see what good it'd do us...

I'd imagine that's it exactly. That and clubs will have to announce their financial status sometime to comply with EUFA licensing so might as well tell all early and try to raise some money while you're at it.

dortie
19/01/2004, 12:35 PM
What was the story at the Pats fans forum ?

Dodge
20/01/2004, 9:00 AM
They told us how much they owe and how they think they'll get out of it. No players are being off loaded but if we don't raise 100k by March some may have to go

SÓC
20/01/2004, 9:22 AM
100,000? Thats a fair chunk to raise in two months!

How much ya want for Adamson?

Dodge
20/01/2004, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
100,000? Thats a fair chunk to raise in two months!

How much ya want for Adamson?

Well one large sponsor had a problem payinng but they could end up paying most of that 100K. If they do I've no doubt we'll make it. CLub doing a few fundraising things and apparently things are going well

SÓC
20/01/2004, 12:40 PM
Ah right, like ye'd be doing very very well to make up that much from fundraising and events etc if ye didnt have the sponsor to pay the large chunk.

How many full timers do ye have to pay during the off season?

Dodge
20/01/2004, 2:20 PM
Not sure tbh. We have 20 professional players but not sure about the full time/part time split

tiktok
20/01/2004, 2:26 PM
Dodge,
Did anyone ask about the Tony Bird/Derry rumour?

Dodge
20/01/2004, 2:31 PM
Not specifically but the chairman said NO players have been offered to other clubs and no players have asked to leave