PDA

View Full Version : Florida

Pages : [1] 2

teckno
18/04/2007, 11:00 PM
Any info here would be very much appreciated. Looking to go to Florida in late August to start of December. Flights at the moment are quoting around €700 return. Does that sound like a fair price? or would it be better to wait.
Also, on passes for Disney World, Universal etc, where is the best place to purchase these. Should they be bought before travelling or when over there?

strangeirish
19/04/2007, 12:11 AM
Any info here would be very much appreciated. Looking to go to Florida in late August to start of December. Flights at the moment are quoting around €700 return. Does that sound like a fair price? or would it be better to wait.
Also, on passes for Disney World, Universal etc, where is the best place to purchase these. Should they be bought before travelling or when over there?
Can't speak for the flight price, but as far as the passes go, I'm thinking you would be better off buying them at Disney itself. Also, if you can find someone that is a Florida resident to buy them at the window for you, there is a 5 to 10% discount. I know that sounds a bit far fetched, but it is easier than you think. The hotel that you may be staying at may have some discounts also at that time of year. If they are, call Disney the day before you go and see what kind of deal the hotel is really giving. Whatever you do when you get to Orlando, don't fall for the 'get free Disney,Universal tickets here' crap. You can get free tickets alright(not the 1,2 or 3 day multi-park passes) but you and your significant other have to sit through a 3.5 hour high pressure sales pitch for time-share apartments!

Hope this helps.

passinginterest
19/04/2007, 1:29 PM
Friends of mine going in October booked the whole lot with a travel agent, can't remember which one but for around 1,500 each for two weeks including 10 day passes to Disney, Universal et al, car rental, flights the whole lot. Actually now I think of it I'm pretty sure the first 3 or 4 days is New York too.

OneRedArmy
19/04/2007, 1:39 PM
Try and combine it with 4 days to a week in Clearwater or somewhere on the coast (I prefer the Gulf coast myself but Space coast is an alternative, just not Daytona).

Your head is so fried (in a good way) after a week of theme parking than a few days by the beach is an excellent way to round off the holiday.

Other thing is don't bite off more than you can chew. I can categorically state that unless you are there for a month, you won't see every ride in every theme park. People get caught up in a box-ticking approach to try and cram everything in, rushing from ride to ride and end up with blisters and not enjoying it.

Take your time and enjoy it.

PaulB
20/04/2007, 8:53 AM
700 return sounds expensive to me. I know Aer Lingus are staring direct flights in the Autumn, is that where you got the prices from. Last time i went we went with delta, via Atlanta, cost 490 Return.

We got a great deal on park tickets last time, I'll try dig up the info and send it to you. And last of all if you are goign with nippers rent a vailla, don't stay in a hotel. A villa give su so much more freedom with a pool etc..

PaulB
20/04/2007, 8:54 AM
Other thing is don't bite off more than you can chew. I can categorically state that unless you are there for a month, you won't see every ride in every theme park. People get caught up in a box-ticking approach to try and cram everything in, rushing from ride to ride and end up with blisters and not enjoying it.

Take your time and enjoy it.

best advice you have been offered, if u try do everything you won't enjoy it..

shedite
20/04/2007, 3:55 PM
Flights should be under €500 if you're flexible with dates. Start from here on sky scanner. (http://www.skyscanner.net/eur/flights/dub/mco/cheapest-flights-per-month-to-orlando_international-from-dublin.html) It's a great little site.

As for Florida, not sure who you're goin with, but I went with a group of 20-22 year olds, and Kennedy Space Center was the best by a mile.

ilovejam
17/09/2007, 10:09 PM
hi guys & gals,

Just to refresh on Orlando, im goin from the 28th Nov. until 8th Dec. and then onto NYC. I have all the flights booked but not the accommodation.

Anybody know if i would be best of renting apartment, going hotel, hostel etc.. just myself and girlfriend and with NYC the latter stage of the trip i would like to spend the least in Orlando, so basic enough room.

Any idea's??

Thanks in advance

NY Hoop
18/09/2007, 11:56 AM
Dont take this bad but Orlando is a dump. Alll there is Universal, MGM etc. But accommodation at that time of the year should be plentiful and cheaper than NYC.

Anyway for NY accommodation try www.nyhabitat.com

KOH

Metrostars
18/09/2007, 2:30 PM
No need to stay at a hostel in orlando, there are hundreds of hotels and are cheap. Agreed with NY Hoop, not much to Orlando except the Disney/Universal. But as other others have said, go to Kennedy Space Center, about 45 minute drive I think. My favourite part of FL though is Key West.

NY Hoop
18/09/2007, 2:46 PM
No need to stay at a hostel in orlando, there are hundreds of hotels and are cheap. Agreed with NY Hoop, not much to Orlando except the Disney/Universal. But as other others have said, go to Kennedy Space Center, about 45 minute drive I think. My favourite part of FL though is Key West.

Agree about the Space Centre. A must see without a doubt. Was lucky enough to see a shuttle launch when I was there many moons ago (excuse the pun).

Unforgettable experience.

Also check out Daytona Beach.

KOH

ilovejam
18/09/2007, 5:51 PM
Cheers much appreciated.

Do ye reckon that 10 days is far far to much in Orlando if all im going to Orlando for is the hole Disney experience. ? Thanks again.

onceahoop
20/09/2007, 5:33 PM
Cheers much appreciated.

Do ye reckon that 10 days is far far to much in Orlando if all im going to Orlando for is the hole Disney experience. ? Thanks again.

Forget Disney, Universal Islands of Adventure and Universal Escape way better for older kids;). Sea World worth a look if your into that. Get in very early for the Shamu show and get down the front at the platform.

Try Universal City Walk at night and do a pub crawl. The Bob Marley tribute bar, Pat O'Briens piano bar and the Latin Quarter well worth a look. Used to be a Motown bar but I think it's gone now.

ilovejam
21/09/2007, 9:00 AM
I thought that once you were going to 'disney' that all the parks came under that title when buying the pass to disney.

!!! how wrong was i !!! luckily everything is booked except for the theme parks so im going to have to decide what ones seem best, what ones need more than 1 day passes and which ones i should just give a miss to??!

Busch gardens will be a cert. as will the two universals.

onceahoop
21/09/2007, 8:56 PM
I thought that once you were going to 'disney' that all the parks came under that title when buying the pass to disney.

!!! how wrong was i !!! luckily everything is booked except for the theme parks so im going to have to decide what ones seem best, what ones need more than 1 day passes and which ones i should just give a miss to??!

Busch gardens will be a cert. as will the two universals.

You can buy Hopper passes (3-5 day)for Disney which allow you to move betwen the parks. The Orlando Flexi ticket allows you either 5 or 11 concecutive days in Universal, Busch Gardens(which is in Tampa, but you can get a shuttle there), Wet n Wild (water park) and Sea World. I think you'll get reduction on the day passes if you go before 8a.m. Best advice is to check out the websites for Orlando, Disney Florida and Universal Florida. The multi passes might sound expensive but think what your getting. Word of advice. First time I went, spent 11 days out of 14 in theme parks. Didn't see them all. You will return. Great place for big kids:D

Metrostars
01/10/2007, 4:41 PM
Also take advantage of the "Fast Pass" at Disneyworld. Saves a ton of time and make the expereience much more enjoyable avoiding the longer lines.

Same goes for Universal and their "Express Pass" ticket, it cost us a bit more but instead of waiting 45 minutes in a queue, you'll wait 5 minutes. Plus it's fun to pass exasperated parents who have been waiting for almost a hour in 90 degree heat with their cranky and hungry young kids, as we whizz by.

Conor H
09/10/2007, 7:57 AM
Express pass is a must.Orlando is a fine place and the locals are dead sound.....but NYC is in a League of it's own.Looking forward to going back in the summer.

paul_oshea
09/10/2007, 8:34 AM
but NYC is in a League of it's own.Looking forward to going back in the summer.

its a sh1tehole once you been there once, chicago is a way better city, even boston too probably.

Dodge
09/10/2007, 9:20 AM
its a sh1tehole once you been there once, chicago is a way better city, even boston too probably.

:rolleyes: It most definitely is NOT a ****hole, and while I enjoyed Chicago, its nothing on New York

NY Hoop
09/10/2007, 11:24 AM

Dumbest post ever.

KOH

paul_oshea
10/10/2007, 9:39 AM
It most definitely is NOT a ****hole, and while I enjoyed Chicago, its nothing on New York

Its impressive ill give you that. But in terms of going out and friendliness and everything else it is nothing on a host of other cities( assuming you aren't just there on holiday )

London for example is a great place for a weekend, but its a crap city to live i.e. by my definition a good city is somewhere you can spend more than a week - or so - in as a tourist ( live really ) and still love it.

NY Hoop
10/10/2007, 11:12 AM
Its impressive ill give you that. But in terms of going out and friendliness and everything else it is nothing on a host of other cities( assuming you aren't just there on holiday )

London for example is a great place for a weekend, but its a crap city to live i.e. by my definition a good city is somewhere you can spend more than a week - or so - in as a tourist ( live really ) and still love it.

You've got to be joking. In terms of going out it has everything. Bars legally open til 4am and longer if you know where to go. Thousands of restaurants, hundreds of theatres and cinemas, chelsea piers etc etc. List is endless.

One of the most open friendly cities anywhere. If you want unfriendly locals go live in oz. Have friends living in London say its a cracking spot.

Maybe Paul has an attitude problem??!

KOH

paul_oshea
10/10/2007, 11:25 AM
As I summed it up before to many US nationals, who agreed. Bump into someone in NY and you get attitude, bump into someone in chicago and you get "I'm sorry".

Your friends must be right then, London is a great spot. Ill ask any of those who have lived in a few other cities, and you wont get that same response. My mates are all the same, came here for one simple reason, better work prospects and money, that really is the only main advantage. Fair enough you have shows etc etc, but you cant afford to be going to them every single night etc. There are plenty of things to do, if you have the money a la being a tourist. London is a very hard place to come on your own - I came here on my own, people go home after work have their own lives, unless you are in a group that came over from Ireland it is difficult. I was lucky I got in with some plastics and then more friends came over, but I know lads who have been here 6 months and have been out only 2 or 3 times, until they get to know me of course and I bring them under my wing :D

Dodge
10/10/2007, 11:32 AM
As I summed it up before to many US nationals, who agreed. Bump into someone in NY and you get attitude, bump into someone in chicago and you get "I'm sorry".

I didn't find this to be true on several visits to NY. Never anything less than courteous.

And if you haven't the money to be going out, what difference doe sit make where you are?

paul_oshea
10/10/2007, 11:44 AM
not going out dodge, but i meant shows etc, that is what everyone talks about, the west end etc, or eating out or whatever. I mean going out having a few drinks with friends, that can be done on a relatively small budget, the aforementioned sorta stuff cant be and it is what tourists generally do as they aren't thinking so much about money etc. This then gives away the idea that every single Londoner does this every weekend and what living in london is like, this is not the case. I remember mates coming over on a sunday night, we struggled to find a good spot, i have been out to 3 or 4 different spots in boston and chicago - I haven't found one in NY, but that may well be because I didnt know where I was going - for example that are buzzing on a sunday, that is not the case in London ( London is not a 24/7 happening place though they try to make out so, even in Dublin you can go out to 2 or 3 places that are buzzin on a sunday night!).That is why Americans love London, cos they come over and think thats what its all about, when realistically its not, oh ya that and watching Match Point ;)

Unreal Madrid
10/10/2007, 12:02 PM
The big diference between Disney and other parks is that Disney spend a fortune on graphics etc when you are in the Q. Everywhere else you just get bored before you get to the front. Of all the parks i would rate them (1) MGM Studios. It has something for everyone esp Twilight Zone Tower of Teror and Aerosmith Rock and roller coaster. Hitchcock set is also really good. You will need to spend 2 days there as some of the sets / tours take 45 mins besides waiting in line. (2) Universale Islands of Adventure. The start of the Hulk rollercoaster is brillent and the spiderman ride is cool. (3) Busch Gardens. The Kumba was my favourite until the last time I went (think its called Cobra). After you get on they take the floor away! so your are left danling in your seat. Get on the front row on the far right.
Anyone been to Porta Ventura in Salou? This is a brillent theme park that is under rated. You can stay in the hotel on site full board for about 600 euro for a family for 5 days, flights can be picked up from about 60 euro each if your lucky.
Also went to Legoland in Windsor a few weeks ago, 4 year old loved it. Both are much better value than the fortunes ive spent in Disney over the years.

NY Hoop
10/10/2007, 12:07 PM
not going out dodge, but i meant shows etc, that is what everyone talks about, the west end etc, or eating out or whatever. I mean going out having a few drinks with friends, that can be done on a relatively small budget, the aforementioned sorta stuff cant be and it is what tourists generally do as they aren't thinking so much about money etc. This then gives away the idea that every single Londoner does this every weekend and what living in london is like, this is not the case. I remember mates coming over on a sunday night, we struggled to find a good spot, i have been out to 3 or 4 different spots in boston and chicago - I haven't found one in NY, but that may well be because I didnt know where I was going - for example that are buzzing on a sunday, that is not the case in London ( London is not a 24/7 happening place though they try to make out so, even in Dublin you can go out to 2 or 3 places that are buzzin on a sunday night!).That is why Americans love London, cos they come over and think thats what its all about, when realistically its not, oh ya that and watching Match Point ;)

You're right you didnt know where to go! But in fairness there is a lot of choice. If you bothered to look around or ask locals you'd find out pretty soon. NYC citizens have never been anything but courteous. More so than here for sure.

You can sum up to most americans all you want. Fact is a lot of them would not have visited NY and would have heard the myth of everyone being unfriendly.

KOH

Dodge
10/10/2007, 12:10 PM
Anyone been to Porta Ventura in Salou? This is a brillent theme park that is under rated. You can stay in the hotel on site full board for about 600 euro for a family for 5 days, flights can be picked up from about 60 euro each if your lucky.

Was there about 2 weeks ago. Ryanair flights were €110 and apartment in Salou cost €280 between two of us. Would endorse your recommendations re; PortaVentura. Had a fabulous time there. For those who've been in previous years (as I had), there's a new rollercoaster this year. Its called Furios and is europe's fastest reaching speeds of 135km/h. It loops out over the lake (and there's no floor on it...)

paul_oshea
10/10/2007, 12:16 PM
You can sum up to most americans all you want. Fact is a lot of them would not have visited NY and would have heard the myth of everyone being unfriendly.

Should have qualified with those comparing both cities, neither from either city, who had lived there or visited there ( both cities that is ) :)

Unreal Madrid
10/10/2007, 1:13 PM
Was there about 2 weeks ago. Ryanair flights were €110 and apartment in Salou cost €280 between two of us. Would endorse your recommendations re; PortaVentura. Had a fabulous time there. For those who've been in previous years (as I had), there's a new rollercoaster this year. Its called Furios and is europe's fastest reaching speeds of 135km/h. It loops out over the lake (and there's no floor on it...)

It was nearly ready in April when I was there. Just have to go again :)

paul_oshea
10/10/2007, 1:18 PM
Its called Furios and is europe's fastest reaching speeds of 135km/h.

I always find these things funny :D

Conor H
10/10/2007, 5:59 PM

Seriously.......:confused:

Ny Hoop summed it up nicely-it has endless streams of activities,tourist spots,big brand shops/resteraunts etc.

Locals are dead sound to......everything is "Sir,thank You,Please,Have a good Day".
Not like some of the galoots that work over here.I remember my Uncle(from Boston) telling me how his wife's friend walked into Supervalu in Eyre Square to buy a bag of crisps.She couldn't get over the discourteous nature of the girl at the checkout so she left the water there,told her she was the rudest person she ever met and walked out.:D

It might seem melodramatic but they're incredibly polite people the Americans,and New Yorkers in general.

paul_oshea
10/10/2007, 6:41 PM
Locals are dead sound to......everything is "Sir,thank You,Please,Have a good Day".

do you honestly think they mean it. Go into any shop and reply with i will have a good day and you too, they wont reply, cos its robotic, along with the "how are you today, sir?!" try it next time yer over, you will get 3 out of 10 replies if lucky :D

Polite, yes? Serious? No, Artificial, Yes!

Conor H
10/10/2007, 6:44 PM
Who cares if they mean it?

Manners are manners.

onceahoop
10/10/2007, 9:04 PM

Furious sounds a bit like Duelling Dragons in Universal, Orlando. You have to take your shoes off or there likely to clober someone if they fall off. Upside down inside out total corkscrew effect and shoot by the other coaster. I'd a sore chest for two days after it from the harness beating of me. To this day I'm convinced it wasn't on right.

Had a great time in Portaventura myself a few years ago. Some great shows and rides.

strangeirish
10/10/2007, 9:36 PM
Sorry POS, but I have to defend the New Yorkers. All that garbage about New Yorkers being rude is a myth. Loud maybe, but not rude. And the common courtesy that's extended to customers, whether it is in a bar, restaurant or supermarket is standard practice throughout the US. Even my friends and family notice it when they visit. Like someone mentioned above, the one's who think that northerners are rude are probably people who have never visited that part of the country.

Go into any shop and reply with i will have a good day and you too, they wont reply, cos its robotic, along with the "how are you today, sir?!" try it next time yer over, you will get 3 out of 10 replies if lucky

I'll bet 10 out of 10 will reply.

If you want rude, just visit a shop at home and wait 'till the wan behind the counter or checkout finishes yapping to her friend and then decides 'Oh, I didn't see you standing there' FOR THE LAST HALF HOUR! That annoys the **** out of me to no end.

onceahoop
10/10/2007, 10:08 PM
I actually agree that Americans are extremely polite. They will always try to help if asked a question. We think they're stupid when they come over here and appear stupid by asking a lot of questions. It's the way they are. I can only say that I've always received a polite reply when looking for help in the US. Th e customer is king.

paul_oshea
11/10/2007, 9:23 AM
Well, Fair enough, maybe its horses for courses, but I have experienced this no end when out with mates, so whatt I start to do is crack up a conversation or try, and stuff. I did it in an outlet store a couple of weeks ago ( as an example ), when going from shop to shop I said to the lads, right lets have a bit of craic and see what ones respond. SO when I entered they were like "how are you, sir", I was like oh im great and you and so on and so forth, you would sometimes get a reply then for 3 in 10 we got a second sentence and that was that. When I lived there I found the exact same, when I was bored I used to make a point of trying it and it was always the same. I dont beleive in saying something unless you mean it, and the americans dont mean it. Its the exact same with servers, first few sentences are all robotic what they say to everyone, try responding and saying something they aren't expecting and you still get the same response i.e. nothing. I will say though that nearly all of those who would chat back were women!!! Only female and all that....:D

The best one is "have a nice day", next time someone says that to ye, responsd in a louder tone than they do and say "NO, you have a nice day!". :D

strangeirish
11/10/2007, 1:48 PM
The best one is "have a nice day", next time someone says that to ye, responsd in a louder tone than they do and say "NO, you have a nice day!".
Jaysus, you're easily amused. You need to get out more.;)

Jofspring
10/12/2008, 5:47 PM
Going to Orlando early January doing the usual over there DisneyWorld, Universal etc.. and was wondering if anyone here has been before and if they have any useful tips on getting around (how easy it is), the best things to do, things that just can't be missed etc...

Cheers :D

strangeirish
10/12/2008, 6:05 PM
Going to Orlando early January doing the usual over there DisneyWorld, Universal etc.. and was wondering if anyone here has been before and if they have any useful tips on getting around (how easy it is), the best things to do, things that just can't be missed etc...

Cheers :D
Some comments and suggestions here. (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=58496)

;)

OneRedArmy
11/12/2008, 12:27 PM
You are screwed without a hire car, unless you are staying in one theme park and only want to go to that theme park.

Also bring a jumper and coat. Weather will certainly be better than here but will get nippy in the evening.

Same advice as earlier in the thread. Don't try and do everything otherwise you won't enjoy it.

Jofspring
15/12/2008, 10:33 AM
Some comments and suggestions here. (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=58496)

;)

excellent cheers :D

Jofspring
15/12/2008, 10:37 AM
You are screwed without a hire car, unless you are staying in one theme park and only want to go to that theme park.

Also bring a jumper and coat. Weather will certainly be better than here but will get nippy in the evening.

Same advice as earlier in the thread. Don't try and do everything otherwise you won't enjoy it.

Staying for 2 weeks so trying to do as much as we can but not going to burn ourselves out either. Was looking into getting a car but its very expensive as because i'm under 21 they add on an extra 27 Dollars per day. Its a pity i will have to depend on buses. Still looking forward to the experience though :D

strangeirish
15/12/2008, 1:42 PM
Get with the the front desk/concierge at the hotel you are staying at. A lot of them have free shuttles to and from the theme parks. Buses are non-existent in Orlando I'm afraid. You'll have to rely on a taxi.

Jofspring
15/12/2008, 2:09 PM
Ya the hotel we are staying at says there are shuttle buses alright, think there is only one or 2 places there is no bus for direct from the hotel :D

Magicme
15/12/2008, 2:24 PM
You lucky lucky thing. If you do nothing else while there, do the Space Mountain ride. Best 3 minutes of my life ever!

Jofspring
15/12/2008, 2:45 PM
You lucky lucky thing. If you do nothing else while there, do the Space Mountain ride. Best 3 minutes of my life ever!

Will do, heard its brilliant, going to be my first time in Disney, i feel like a big child ha.

Magicme
15/12/2008, 2:52 PM
Everyone becomes a big child when they walk through the gates of the Magical Kingdom. Love it.

Myself and the kids really enjoyed MGM Studios too.

strangeirish
15/12/2008, 2:57 PM
Now, you know that's not true!:D