PDA

View Full Version : Friendlies Summer 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

DeNiro
20/05/2009, 9:59 AM
Cork City announced a friendly v Ipswich (surprise, surprise) in July. Few quid for the coffers there. Any others in the pipeline for clubs? Leeds, Millwall, Dundee Utd and Sunderland came over last year if I remember right?

De Town
20/05/2009, 10:00 AM
Cork City announced a friendly v Ipswich (Surprise, suprise) in July. Few quid for the coffers there.

If they manage to last that long! ;)

passinginterest
20/05/2009, 10:48 AM
I've heard Celtic will be coming to Tallaght and Sunderland will more than likely fulfill the fixture from last season.

Reading are sending over a team led by Kevin Doyle to play in the Wexford Youths golf classic!

DeNiro
20/05/2009, 10:50 AM
Celtic are playing in Brisbane as well, so I'd say it will be the usual Celtic XI. That outstanding Sunderland game is v Shamrock Rovers, doubt that will go ahead TBH.

Black and White
20/05/2009, 11:13 AM
Celtic I think are bringin a full team over to Oriel and rumours had it that Leeds where visiting this Summer. Nothing is confirmed by the club but when the friendly against Celtic was confirmed back in February, it was said that thye will be coming back this Summer with a stronger team.

CarrickFan
20/05/2009, 11:49 AM
same old story..i understsand that these matches generate money but i think it's a shame that we have to pander to these teams DURING our season to get a few people through the gates...people that would never stand in a EL ground unless an English team are playing turn up but unfortunatly dont seem to come back to EL matches..this Country is full of soccer fans if only we could get them to suport our own League.

adamd164
20/05/2009, 11:58 AM
same old story..i understsand that these matches generate money but i think it's a shame that we have to pander to these teams DURING our season to get a few people through the gates...
Meh, we're not in europe so it doesn't really throw us out at all. We've milked the Keano brigade before, we'll do it again; better they part with their money for a ticket than down the local.

Longfordian
20/05/2009, 12:00 PM
We're trying to line something up against an English side but it hasn't been confirmed as yet.

MariborKev
20/05/2009, 12:06 PM
Meh, we're not in europe so it doesn't really throw us out at all. We've milked the Keano brigade before, we'll do it again; better they part with their money for a ticket than down the local.

Yeah, but the club cynically milk their own fans out of it as well.

Derry fans are basically paying McCourt's transfer fee by attending the friendlies with Celtic. Great work by our board......:rolleyes:

adamd164
20/05/2009, 12:16 PM
I just avoid the games; there are enough barstoolers out there wanting to see them, I see my club every week. No interest in forking out for meaningless friendlies.

LK37oldskool
20/05/2009, 12:37 PM
Limerick have a game against sunderland lined up in Thomand Park.If this backfires it will cost the club big time.Thomand is'nt cheap to rent.

sligoman
20/05/2009, 12:39 PM
Limerick have a game against sunderland lined up in Thomand Park.If this backfires it will cost the club big time.Thomand is'nt cheap to rent.You do know Roy Keane has moved clubs yes? Sunderland are old news at this stage, Ipswich is where all the cool kids are going these days.

Theskinloyal
20/05/2009, 12:48 PM
Shels will play Leeds again I'd assume because of Joe Casey's connections them. Doubt they'll play any other friendlies after the debacles against Millwall and CelticXI ended up costing the club money. Think about 300 turned up for the Millwall game. I know we need the Leeds game for money especially as it's around transfer window time but I'd love not to play it. Considering what a small club we have if we got an injury it would be dreadful. Last year against Leeds some ***** broke Bisto's ankle with a disgraceful two footed challenge from behind.

Then the Leeds' player got taken off at half time and Irish Leeds' "fans" were going over to him around the tunnel getting photos with him. In a friendly he broke the ankle of another player. Cost us a few points during the mid part of last season.

LK37oldskool
20/05/2009, 12:51 PM
You do know Roy Keane has moved clubs yes? Sunderland are old news at this stage, Ipswich is where all the cool kids are going these days.
This was set up during the Keane era,Better than nothing i suppose.

Dunny
20/05/2009, 12:54 PM
Celtic I think are bringin a full team over to Oriel and rumours had it that Leeds where visiting this Summer. Nothing is confirmed by the club but when the friendly against Celtic was confirmed back in February, it was said that thye will be coming back this Summer with a stronger team.

I read somehwere they are heading over to play a team in Australia in July.

Black and White
20/05/2009, 12:57 PM
Shels will play Leeds again I'd assume because of Joe Casey's connections them. Doubt they'll play any other friendlies after the debacles against Millwall and CelticXI ended up costing the club money. Think about 300 turned up for the Millwall game. I know we need the Leeds game for money especially as it's around transfer window time but I'd love not to play it. Considering what a small club we have if we got an injury it would be dreadful. Last year against Leeds some ***** broke Bisto's ankle with a disgraceful two footed challenge from behind.

Then the Leeds' player got taken off at half time and Irish Leeds' "fans" were going over to him around the tunnel getting photos with him. In a friendly he broke the ankle of another player. Cost us a few points during the mid part of last season.

Bisto didnt break his ankle, he was out for 3 games and was back on the bench for the game after that, he just turned sh!@e after that. I broke my ankle and couldnt play for 3 months. Bisto was out for 3 weeks, what your saying is Bisto is superhuman and heels quicker than others yeah!

Black and White
20/05/2009, 1:00 PM
I read somehwere they are heading over to play a team in Australia in July.

Yeah they confrimed a friendly over there on Monday but I do remember reading that the terms of the friendlies was that they would sen dover a weak team first tiem around and a stronger team in the summer in order to raise cash for the club. The Leeds rumour has been floating around since the week of the Kildare game and 5 different people have said to me that they are coming over...but I have to ask....WHO ARE LEEDS??They where never a "big" club and never will be.

Dunny
20/05/2009, 1:08 PM
Hopefully the Celtic friendly will go ahead.

Wouldn't mind Leeds tbh. They are just like us. Everybody hates us..:D

dcfcsteve
20/05/2009, 1:17 PM
Cork City announced a friendly v Ipswich (surprise, surprise) in July. Few quid for the coffers there. Any others in the pipeline for clubs? Leeds, Millwall, Dundee Utd and Sunderland came over last year if I remember right?

Even with the Keane connection adding at best one or two thousand to the gate, can anyone really see Ipswich Town being all that big a draw....? :confused:

I'll be very surprised if the game sells out.

Ipswich are about as unglamorous as the English Championship gets. At least Norwich had a celebrity chef......!

eelmonster
20/05/2009, 1:22 PM
I don't know, Steve, there're plenty of tractor boys in the county of Cork.

pól-dcfc
20/05/2009, 1:56 PM
Even with the Keane connection adding at best one or two thousand to the gate, can anyone really see Ipswich Town being all that big a draw....? :confused:

Ipswich are about as unglamorous as the English Championship gets. At least Norwich had a celebrity chef......!

I think it'll definitely sell out. There is such a ridiculous cult around Keane that he could (in the words of Valdano) bring a piece of **** on a stick to Ireland and 10,000 would gladly pay to watch him wave it about.

SunderlandBohs
20/05/2009, 2:01 PM
You do know Roy Keane has moved clubs yes? Sunderland are old news at this stage, Ipswich is where all the cool kids are going these days.

If we stay up, Limerick could be up against Slaven Bilic's Sunderland side or if we go down it could be Steve McClaren's Sunderland side. Such a contrast!

Either way most of our Irish fan base have remembered that it's not Sunderland they support but it was Ipswich all along.

They just forgot about it for the last two and half years.

Hairy Bowsie
20/05/2009, 2:05 PM
Doubt they'll play any other friendlies after the debacles against Millwall and CelticXI ended up costing the club money. Think about 300 turned up for the Millwall game.

Shels will be playing Millwall again this year.

SunderlandBohs
20/05/2009, 2:12 PM
Glebe North v Glenavon. You can keep your Leeds and Celtic!!

eamo1
20/05/2009, 2:23 PM
The usual round of friendlies.I think by next season most premier division clubs will have played Ipswich,Leeds,Sunderland,Millwall.I know we(Galway Utd) have played all of those bar Millwall in recent seasons.With a Galway native in goal for them i wouldnt be surprised if they are in Terryland this summer.
I dont go to those games though.Now if Barca came i WOULD.Didnt they play Derry a few years ago?

pól-dcfc
20/05/2009, 2:25 PM
The usual round of friendlies.I think by next season most premier division clubs will have played Ipswich,Leeds,Sunderland,Millwall.I know we(Galway Utd) have played all of those bar Millwall in recent seasons.With a Galway native in goal for them i wouldnt be surprised if they are in Terryland this summer.
I dont go to those games though.Now if Barca came i WOULD.Didnt they play Derry a few years ago?

Yeah. Liam Coyle took the pish out of Puyol all night.

Theskinloyal
20/05/2009, 2:26 PM
Shels will be playing Millwall again this year.

Says who?

gufc2000
20/05/2009, 3:57 PM
Theres rumours of Burnley heading on a pre-season tour of Ireland

MariborKev
20/05/2009, 4:27 PM
Yeah. Liam Coyle took the pish out of Puyol all night.

Aye,

Bettered by Ronaldinho taking the **** out of the entire Derry team.

We'll never see the likes of that again, and amazing to think the game didn't sell out.

RoversHead
20/05/2009, 5:20 PM
I've heard Celtic will be coming to Tallaght and Sunderland will more than likely fulfill the fixture from last season.

Reading are sending over a team led by Kevin Doyle to play in the Wexford Youths golf classic!Dont mind sunderland but the Celtic xi ****e drives me mad Id sooner have Stoke or Burnley or a European side .Celtic have used us all for years to grow their base here .

eirebhoy
20/05/2009, 5:47 PM
I'm glad people are actually copping on now what I've been saying all along, the interest in Sunderland was purely down to Roy Keane. Many LOI fans tried to make it out like tons of people are going around wearing Sunderland jerseys and claiming to support them. That was never the case. Roy Keane is the biggest personality in this country bar none. A lot of people are interested in Roy Keane more than they are any club and most of them wish success for Keane (and therefore the club he is at).

There is such a ridiculous cult around Keane that he could (in the words of Valdano) bring a piece of **** on a stick to Ireland and 10,000 would gladly pay to watch him wave it about.
These ridiculous cults exist all over the world. You haven't seen what the Japanese think of Nakamura. :) LA Galaxy would probably sell out any stadium in England for a friendly with Beckham in the team.

sligoman
20/05/2009, 5:55 PM
I'm glad people are actually copping on now what I've been saying all along, the interest in Sunderland was purely down to Roy Keane.Are you serious? I don't know anyone, apart from the new 'fans' wearing the Sunderland jersies, who thought otherwise. Did you think you were the only one who realised it?:confused:

Hairy Bowsie
20/05/2009, 8:33 PM
Says who?

Says me, my word not good enough?

peadar1987
20/05/2009, 9:05 PM
Shops were selling loads of Sunderland jerseys, so people must have been buying them. You'd see them every now and again around town. Maybe I just noticed them more because every time I though for a split second that I'd found another Irish Stoke supporter!

eirebhoy
21/05/2009, 7:49 AM
Are you serious? I don't know anyone, apart from the new 'fans' wearing the Sunderland jersies, who thought otherwise. Did you think you were the only one who realised it?:confused:
Any proof of this? I spent 6 months working in paddy power shops from Amien street to Finglas. Most shops on Dublin's north side. And I never saw an Irish Sunderland supporter. I'm absolutely positive that if I did meet an Irish Sunderland supporter he didn't just start supporting them when Keane took over. (maybe it was different outside of Dublin but I doubt it).

People have to realise that supporting Roy Keane will obviously mean you wish him success. Wishing Keane success means you're wishing Ipswich success. It doesn't make them a fan and they don't claim to be.

brianw82
21/05/2009, 8:04 AM
Any proof of this? I spent 6 months working in paddy power shops from Amien street to Finglas. Most shops on Dublin's north side. And I never saw an Irish Sunderland supporter. I'm absolutely positive that if I did meet an Irish Sunderland supporter he didn't just start supporting them when Keane took over. (maybe it was different outside of Dublin but I doubt it).

People have to realise that supporting Roy Keane will obviously mean you wish him success. Wishing Keane success means you're wishing Ipswich success. It doesn't make them a fan and they don't claim to be.

They were all in Boyle Sports shops.

SunderlandBohs
21/05/2009, 8:47 AM

I agree dcfcsteve. There was a lot of hype around Sunderland's tour 2 years ago. With the Quinn and Keane factor and getting promoted and the fact that 3-4,000 mackems travelled over for the games. But the second tour was different. The hype died down. Only 1,500 travelled over for the Cobh game which didn't sell-out and another 1,500 travelled over the Rovers game and tickets were on sell the day of the match. In contrast to the 3-4,000 fans who the Algrave for the games with Sporting and Victoria Setubol.

I can't imagine 1,500 Ispwich fans traveling over to Ireland. Maybe 200-300 max. Plus people are starting to see Keane not as marvel genius but a nut case with a stupid beard.

The game between Rovers and Sunderland will take place. Just looking for a date.

micls
21/05/2009, 11:08 AM

You obviously werent in Cork. The place was covered in brand new Sunderland jerseys....

Ipswich are irrelevant in all this. People will come out, again, to see Keane and it'l be their first chance to support their 'new' team.

If you think Keane only adds 1/2 thousand to a gate in cork you're delusional.

I wouldn't be certain it will sell out(it'l depend on ticket price) but it'l be more than 5000 anyway, and thats with a lot of City fans staying away....

5000x20= money we could badly do with...

harps1954
22/05/2009, 2:47 PM
IPSWICH TOWN AND ROY KEANE HEADING TO FINN PARK

Finn Harps Football Club are pleased to announce that they will play a ‘friendly’ fixture against Roy Keane’s Ipswich Town at Finn Park, Ballybofey on Tuesday 7th July with an 8.00pm kick-off.

Harps Chairman Derek Wilkinson said that he was delighted that the ‘Tractor Boys’ were coming to Finn Park. “I am absolutely thrilled we have secured this fixture”, commented Wilkinson. “Ipswich are a high profile team and in Roy Keane they have one of the most high-profile young Managers in the game across the water. We are delighted that Roy Keane has agreed to bring his team to Donegal and I extend thanks to Roy and everyone at Ipswich Town for making this happen.”

The Ipswich Town boss is no stranger to football fans on this Island, or indeed throughout the rest of the World. Keane had a distinguished career as a player with Nottingham Forest, Manchester United & Celtic and won 66 caps for Ireland. As a player with Manchester United, Keane won 7 Premiership titles, 4 FA Cups, 4 FA Community Shields, 1 Intercontinental Cup and the UEFA Champions League in 1999. During a brief spell with Celtic in 2006, he added a Scottish Premier League winners medal and a Scottish League Cup winners medal.

After retiring from football, Keane moved into management almost immediately with Sunderland and led the ‘black-cats’ to the Football League Championship in his first season. He kept Sunderland in the Premiership in their first season up, before resigning in 2008 in his third season at the helm. He returned to management with just two games left of the 2008-09 season with Ipswich Town and saw his new team record victories in both his games in charge.

Details of ticket sales for the game will be announced in the coming days.

McDee
22/05/2009, 3:10 PM
HA!

The same Roy keane who kicked up such a stink in a certain far flung corner of Asia about the state of training facilities is going to play a full match on the quarry that is Finn Park. Good man Roy.

I'd say there'll be plenty of interest amongst the agriculturally-minded in this one, the tractor boys and the sheep, er... fanciers ...

Hope it goes well for Harps though, by all accounts they need the monies quite badly, would hate to see them go under.

Mr A
22/05/2009, 3:15 PM
I've always said Roy Keane was a great man.

Dodge
22/05/2009, 3:19 PM
I'm glad people are actually copping on now what I've been saying all along, the interest in Sunderland was purely down to Roy Keane. Many LOI fans tried to make it out like tons of people are going around wearing Sunderland jerseys and claiming to support them. That was never the case

I think you'll find that that was a media driven thing, and the vast majority of LOI fans were completely on point in saying that once keane goes, the fad will be over. The media, of course, were wined and dined by Sunderland. Apparently Ray Treacy lost a ton of money as he block booked trips to Sunderland and hardly anybody went

Sam_Heggy
22/05/2009, 5:08 PM
HA!

The same Roy keane who kicked up such a stink in a certain far flung corner of Asia about the state of training facilities is going to play a full match on the quarry that is Finn Park. Good man Roy.

I'd say there'll be plenty of interest amongst the agriculturally-minded in this one, the tractor boys and the sheep, er... fanciers ...

Hope it goes well for Harps though, by all accounts they need the monies quite badly, would hate to see them go under.

Yeah but when given the choice of Derry and Harps, Keano said "what ya talkin' about ya langer? It's no question which I would prefer. I walk through enough dog sh!te at home without having to do it with work too."

eirebhoy
23/05/2009, 2:02 PM
I think you'll find that that was a media driven thing, and the vast majority of LOI fans were completely on point in saying that once keane goes, the fad will be over. The media, of course, were wined and dined by Sunderland. Apparently Ray Treacy lost a ton of money as he block booked trips to Sunderland and hardly anybody went
I don't know. A lot of LOI supporters thought people were following Sunderland because of their Irish links (Quinn and the lads, the 10 or so Irish players). It was always to do with Roy Keane and nothing more, as we have seen since he left. It was definitely media driven but I don't think the majority of people that gave out about it realised the interest we had was just a fascination with Keane.

Ipswich actually would have been a team I had a close eye on with Garvan, Norris, Bruce, Quinn and Walters all first teamers there (almost half the team Irish). Keane joining has boosted my interest.

SunderlandBohs
25/05/2009, 9:30 AM
I don't know. A lot of LOI supporters thought people were following Sunderland because of their Irish links (Quinn and the lads, the 10 or so Irish players). It was always to do with Roy Keane and nothing more, as we have seen since he left. It was definitely media driven but I don't think the majority of people that gave out about it realised the interest we had was just a fascination with Keane.

Ipswich actually would have been a team I had a close eye on with Garvan, Norris, Bruce, Quinn and Walters all first teamers there (almost half the team Irish). Keane joining has boosted my interest.
What about people like me?

Anyway, this thread is called Friendlies Summer 2009 not The failed manager from Mayfield who wasted £80m on sh1t players left the club in a mess and ran away like a big girl ,like he did in Saipan, cause someone stood up to him thread.

Well let me get us back on track with this thread. With a large eastern European base here in Ireland why aren't clubs trying to get over Polish and Russian clubs for friendlies? Just look at the crowd at Ireland v Poland and when are clubs meet them in Europe.

holidaysong
26/05/2009, 12:26 PM
Well let me get us back on track with this thread. With a large eastern European base here in Ireland why aren't clubs trying to get over Polish and Russian clubs for friendlies? Just look at the crowd at Ireland v Poland and when are clubs meet them in Europe.

St. Pat's played a Polish club last year as far as I remember..

Dodge
26/05/2009, 12:41 PM
St. Pat's played a Polish club last year as far as I remember..

We played Wisla Krakow at the end of the 2007 season. Decent crowd at it.

One or two Poles support Pats regularly (at least one of them did before the friendly)

Ezeikial
27/05/2009, 6:33 PM
From an interview with Gerry Matthews, Owner and CEO of Dundalk FC in this weeks Dundalk Democrat:

One valid source of generating income is by hosting high profile friendlies against English and Scottish clubs in the summer. Celtic are believed to be returning to Oriel Park in July while Roy Keane's Ipswich have also been mentioned this week, a rumour that Matthews appeared to give credence to.
"It's very hard to come out and say things before they are confirmed. However we would like to think that getting Ipswich Town to Oriel Park is possible. With Roy Keane in charge it would be a great draw for the supporters"

Dunny
27/05/2009, 6:38 PM
They don't have to come if they lend us a few players.......:o

Ezeikial
27/05/2009, 7:16 PM
They don't have to come if they lend us a few players.......:o

Ipswich used to have a tall Cork lad in midfield. I wonder where he is now?:confused: