PDA

View Full Version : Millwall

Daxion
09/01/2004, 12:31 PM
Isn't Tim Cahill in the same boat, his old man is Irish and when he emigrated to the South Seas, he played for one of the Island teams, I can't remember which one, at under age level. If he is still interested and good enough (he has four goals this season to his credit), then he should be welcomed. ;)

Should be posted in National team eligibility can Moderator please move to this post

Thanks

Éanna
09/01/2004, 12:40 PM
thought he declared for australia

pineapple stu
09/01/2004, 12:44 PM
Idn't he the one who started all the latest FIFA wrangling in the first place? Played once for American Samoa U-16s (when he was 14), which meant he couldn't play for any other nation. You can well understand why he wanted the rules changed on that one!:p

Sheridan
09/01/2004, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Idn't he the one who started all the latest FIFA wrangling in the first place? Played once for American Samoa U-16s (when he was 14), which meant he couldn't play for any other nation. You can well understand why he wanted the rules changed on that one!:p
Yep. I went rather deeply into this with a Japanese journalist last year (long story), when Cahill was begging to be allowed represent Ireland. He came on as a sub for American Samoa U-17s in a World Cup qualifier at the age of 14, having agreed to it in order to visit his grandmother and after receiving assurance from FIFA that he would not be permanently tied to American Samoa. I think he has now declared for Australia. His interest in Ireland seemed to cool once it became clear that he wouldn't make the 2002 World Cup...

Daxion
09/01/2004, 1:12 PM
If he has declared for the Aussies then he can bugger off to Sydney, I can see why he was interested in declaring for Ireland at the time of the World Cup, no qualifiers to play and straight into the biggest competition in the World. He obviously is a "Jack in the Box" with regards to nationality. By the way has he got a full cap for the Koala Bears?