PDA

View Full Version : Twigg: Irish sides on par with Scots

Pages : [1] 2

niallsparky
19/05/2009, 1:24 PM
http://www.setanta.com//uk/Articles/Football/2009/05/19/LOI-Twigg-on-LOI-sides/gnid-53531/

Soccer Writers' Association of Ireland Player of the Month Gary Twigg says there is little to choose between The League of Ireland Premier Division and The Scottish Premier League.

Glasgow-born Twigg earned the April award for some impressive displays with Shamrock Rovers – and brought that form into May with two late goals to see off champions Bohemians 2-1 last time out. The former Brechin player has seen first-hand what there is to offer in Scotland and thinks the top teams in Ireland would more than hold their own against the majority of the sides there.

“I have a lot of better players around me here,” Twigg was quoted as saying by The Irish Mirror.

“Bohs are a good side, Derry and Cork too. [They are] sides that could play in Scotland no problem.

“I played against some SPL teams at the start of the season and to be honest there wasn’t much in it.”

Rovers moved to within two points of Dublin foes Bohs with their win at home to Pat Fenlon’s men, while they remain five points behind Cork City, who now lead the top flight. With a big win behind them, Twigg now hopes The Hoops can continue to live with the best.

“If we keep doing what we’re doing, hopefully we can start climbing the league a bit more and start challenging the top three.

TheBoss
19/05/2009, 1:45 PM
Without a doubt, the gap is closing between the leagues. I feel the top teams in Ireland would be challenging a top 4 place in Scotland.

seand
19/05/2009, 2:12 PM
Without a doubt, the gap is closing between the leagues. I feel the top teams in Ireland would be challenging a top 4 place in Scotland.

Yes, top 4 in Scotland or League Two in England ;)

citybone
19/05/2009, 2:13 PM

I would like to beleive that but i beleive they would only be fighting for the top 6 split. Bar the top 3 in the league of Ireland premier the rest of the clubs would prob be around Scottish league 1st division-bottom of SPL standard

niallsparky
19/05/2009, 2:38 PM
I would like to beleive that but i beleive they would only be fighting for the top 6 split. Bar the top 3 in the league of Ireland premier the rest of the clubs would prob be around Scottish league 1st division-bottom of SPL standard

Yeah I probably agree with that. Bohs, Cork, Derry and at a stretch Rovers would be SPL standard. The rest would be 1st Divsion. Saying that, I reckon Bohs, Derry or Cork could aim at top 4 in the SPL.

Fr Damo
19/05/2009, 2:39 PM
Yes, top 4 in Scotland or League Two in England ;)

Kinda true.

The top four in the Premier would do well to survive in the SPL in my mind.

Maybe if we are to have the Setanta Cup, would including the top two in the scottish 1st to make things more interesting?

peadar1987
19/05/2009, 2:42 PM
I've always thought the Setanta should ultimately hope to expand into a "Celtic Cup", with teams from the Republic, the North, Scotland, and Wales (And maybe an Isle of Man select XI :D).

TheBoss
19/05/2009, 4:02 PM
I've always thought the Setanta should ultimately hope to expand into a "Celtic Cup", with teams from the Republic, the North, Scotland, and Wales (And maybe an Isle of Man select XI :D).

That would certainly help the progress of the competition, this system of playing a for a few months and then a 5 month break and again play for another 2 months. They think that would enhance it, but the addition of Welsh and Scottish would give it a bit more flavour.

citybone
19/05/2009, 4:41 PM

I guess your only messing about Isle of man, i woulnt mind 1 welsh club (champions) replace the 4th irish league club and see how they get on over a few years. I dont know about Scottish clubs, the logistics are not great.

OneRedArmy
19/05/2009, 5:09 PM
Man tells everyone new workplace is at least as good as old job...

In fairness, as leading scorer he's hardly going to say it's a pub league.

niallsparky
19/05/2009, 5:30 PM
In fairness, as leading scorer

:mad:

http://soccer-stats.irishtimes.com/?Lang=0&CPID=95&CTID=34&TEID=0&pStr=Comp_Scorer

TOP SCORERS 2009
Jason Byrne 11
Gary Twigg 9
Mark Farren 5
Thomas Stewart 5
Chris Turner 5
Rafael Cretaro 4
Ciaran Martyn 4
Pádraig Amond 3
Dessie Baker 3
Denis Behan 3

pete
19/05/2009, 5:33 PM

So cynical. Twigg says we are great so that must be so!

kingdomkerry
19/05/2009, 6:08 PM
Twigg has 10

dcfcsteve
19/05/2009, 8:48 PM

Considering his old workplace was the Scottish Second Division, I'm not sure how qualified he is to comment on the SPL either.

When did he last face an SPL team in a competitive fixture ?

sonofstan
19/05/2009, 8:53 PM
Considering his old workplace was the Scottish Second Division, I'm not sure how qualified he is to comment on the SPL either.

When did he last face an SPL team in a competitive fixture ?

yeah, i was thinking that; whatever he says, that a striker who never got to the SPL despite ample opportunity but sets league alight here, would suggest that this is an easier league.

oriel
19/05/2009, 9:39 PM
There is no doubt our top 4 of Cork, Bohs, Derry, and maybe Rovers this year would be comfortable playing SPL sides, but this would only be on par with likes of Kilmarnock + M`well, I would say they would struggle v likes of top 6 teams like Aberdeen, Dun Utd, Hearts and Hibs, fitness for one would be a massive gap. Scot Div 1 crowds are somewhat similar to our Prem, maybe we get a lot more highs, but overall avg`s would not be far off, so maybe this would be our standard, then again is there much diff to bottom 6 in Spl and Scot First Div ?

TheBoss
19/05/2009, 10:35 PM
There is not too much of a difference between the bottom of the SPL and First Division. Many players transfer between them during the season, and they do not spend money and bring players in on frees.

Pablo Escobar
20/05/2009, 8:57 AM
There is no doubt our top 4 of Cork, Bohs, Derry, and maybe Rovers this year would be comfortable playing SPL sides, but this would only be on par with likes of Kilmarnock + M`well, I would say they would struggle v likes of top 6 teams like Aberdeen, Dun Utd, Hearts and Hibs, fitness for one would be a massive gap. Scot Div 1 crowds are somewhat similar to our Prem, maybe we get a lot more highs, but overall avg`s would not be far off, so maybe this would be our standard, then again is there much diff to bottom 6 in Spl and Scot First Div ?

It's hard to argue with anything as there is very little basis, but I will argue on the fitness point. I don't think we would struggle for fitness, why should we? Full time -v- full time?

Duggie
20/05/2009, 9:21 AM
im not so sure how our sides would do week in week out in the SPL. in fairness there light years ahead in regards facilities, full time attitude etc. look at the grounds around our league, there kips. apart from turners cross and tallaght which are decent. plus we'd prob get slaughtered at ibrox and parkhead.

bennocelt
20/05/2009, 10:12 AM
I think Europe is a good indication - I mean how far do Scottish teams bar Celt-Rangers do? Not that great in reality, in fact i would think Irish teams have been doing better recently?

galwayhoop
20/05/2009, 10:40 AM
I guess your only messing about Isle of man, i woulnt mind 1 welsh club (champions) replace the 4th irish league club and see how they get on over a few years. I dont know about Scottish clubs, the logistics are not great.

perhaps invitations could be given to the teams that finish in the top six in spl who do not qualify for europe (along with welsh top two, 3 from LoI and 3 from IL). I think that would be the 5th and 6th place finishers in the spl.

if the setanta was expanded it might allow clubs to get more benefit from it like the rugby crowd do with the magners league. to cut down on costs perhaps start off with 2 groups of 5 who each play 2 home and 2 away games like the uefa cup for last few years. then semi and final.

pineapple stu
20/05/2009, 10:49 AM
Why on earth would Aberdeen/Dundee United/Kilmarnock or someone like that want to play a competitive tournament against Sligo, Rhyl and Cliftonville?

Seriously, some people think our league is way ahead of where it really is.

If the LoI is as good as the SPL, it begs the question why Twigg's scoring record is better in the LoI than it was in the Scottish Division Two.

ORA is spot on.

passinginterest
20/05/2009, 11:01 AM
If the LoI is as good as the SPL, it begs the question why Twigg's scoring record is better in the LoI than it was in the Scottish Division Two

While I don't think LoI is as good as SPL, Twigg has suggested that the reason for scoring more goals is being surrounded by better players, which would be reasonable enough.

Definitely not much of a difference between bottom of SPL and top of LoI though, games would be competitive at least. Facilities are much better at the Scottish sides.

peadar1987
20/05/2009, 11:02 AM
Why on earth would Aberdeen/Dundee United/Kilmarnock or someone like that want to play a competitive tournament against Sligo, Rhyl and Cliftonville?

Money.

Rovers1
20/05/2009, 11:12 AM
Why on earth would Aberdeen/Dundee United/Kilmarnock or someone like that want to play a competitive tournament against Sligo, Rhyl and Cliftonville?.

your getting a bit too used to using us as an example Stu, first were 'Lowlier' and now this!:(

My respect for you is dwindling!

RoversHead
20/05/2009, 11:42 AM
LOI as good as SPL ?Are yis Blind?we are light years away both on and off the pitch.I believe that we produce the odd player of that quality and the odd team from time to time such as Bohs last season ,Derry have come close too but imo our league and clubs don`t even come up to the level of the English conference yet.I think the welsh champions and maybe Highland league champions would be great for the setanta cup.

pineapple stu
20/05/2009, 11:48 AM
your getting a bit too used to using us as an example Stu, first were 'Lowlier' and now this!:(

My respect for you is dwindling!
Indeed; apologies! All Sligo fans may read the word "Longford" there instead. ;)

Money.
For money, you'd need some semblance of public interest. There would be zero interest in seeing Aberdeen's U-15 team put away Rhyl 4-0. Not going to happen.

Rovers1
20/05/2009, 11:49 AM
Indeed; apologies! All Sligo fans may read the word "Longford" there instead. ;)

go again Stu!

pineapple stu
20/05/2009, 11:50 AM
Whad I say?!

Anyways, you know what my point is.

Longfordian
20/05/2009, 11:54 AM

For money, you'd need some semblance of public interest. There would be zero interest in seeing Aberdeen's U-15 team put away Rhyl 4-0. Not going to happen.

Zero per cent chance of it being us any time soon in any event. Until my euromillions win anyway. You've upset some Sligo fans as you've dissed their first and second teams!

pete
20/05/2009, 11:56 AM
Its fairly obvious as professional clubs we are well behind. On the other hand I rate the SPL below the English Championship & there are many LOI players who could play in the Championship.

rerun
20/05/2009, 11:58 AM

http://soccer-stats.irishtimes.com/?Lang=0&CPID=95&CTID=34&TEID=0&pStr=Comp_Scorer

TOP SCORERS 2009
Jason Byrne 11
Gary Twigg 9
Mark Farren 5
Thomas Stewart 5
Chris Turner 5
Rafael Cretaro 4
Ciaran Martyn 4
Pádraig Amond 3
Dessie Baker 3
Denis Behan 3

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what this list would look like if we excluded (a) penalties, and (b) scored direct from free?

pineapple stu
20/05/2009, 12:08 PM
On the other hand I rate the SPL below the English Championship & there are many LOI players who could play in the Championship.
Thing is, players being able to make the jump is a lot different to a team being able to make a jump. Just because Kevin Doyle played with Cork doesn't mean Cork are good enough to play Division One.

You've upset some Sligo fans as you've dissed their first and second teams!
Pfft - second teams?! They deserve to be upset for that. :p

Longfordian
20/05/2009, 12:10 PM
Well we're not exactly a threat at present. We're kind of like their daft little brother that they just shake their heads and laugh at.

pineapple stu
20/05/2009, 12:17 PM
I understand. We also have a local team who play in red and black, who we shake our heads and laugh at, who are rubbish and whom we'd like to see do well only so they could get up to our level and be hammered by us.

DmanDmythDledge
20/05/2009, 12:19 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know what this list would look like if we excluded (a) penalties, and (b) scored direct from free?
Byrne has three penalties, as does Turner.

John83
20/05/2009, 12:20 PM
I understand. We also have a local team who play in red and black, who we shake our heads and laugh at, who are rubbish and whom we'd like to see do well only so they could get up to our level and be hammered by us.
Do Trinity even enter the FAI Cup?

pineapple stu
20/05/2009, 12:22 PM
I assume they enter the Junior or Intermediate Cup, which is how you get into the FAI Cup. They got in one year. Nearly met us.

Speaking of which, you heading into our cup game on Sunday?

John83
20/05/2009, 12:29 PM
I assume they enter the Junior or Intermediate Cup, which is how you get into the FAI Cup. They got in one year. Nearly met us.

Speaking of which, you heading into our cup game on Sunday?
I should be free, depending on who (Arklow?) and where we are playing. Finding cup info for us means trawling through threads. What happened to the days when we had an up to date fixtures thread (and website!)?

fergalr
20/05/2009, 12:36 PM
LOI as good as SPL ?Are yis Blind?we are light years away both on and off the pitch.
Thanks for the input.

Now let me weigh up your contribution against the views of the footballer who actually plays in the LOI and has recently played against SPL teams .....

.... Tough call but I think Twigg's views carry more weight.

Schumi
20/05/2009, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the input.

Now let me weigh up your contribution against the views of the footballer who actually plays in the LOI and has recently played against SPL teams .....

In friendlies, wasn't it? UCD beat Dundee United in a friendly last year but I don't think we're as good as them.

fergalr
20/05/2009, 12:48 PM
In friendlies, wasn't it?
Yes, in friendlies. Doesn't invalidate all of his opinion though!

Gaillimh Al
20/05/2009, 12:55 PM

There's only been three direct from frees, Killian Brennan twice and Colin Healy.

For a few more on the scorers list.

http://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1864/

pineapple stu
20/05/2009, 12:57 PM
What happened to the days when we had an up to date fixtures thread (and website!)?
Jesus, don't start Harpo off again! :eek:

I don't think the website ever carried LSL fixtures. It's Sunday at 2pm.

RoversHead
20/05/2009, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the input.

.... Tough call but I think Twigg's views carry more weight.He is hardly gonna say this is the worst league he`s played in and weather players views carry more weight than the people who watch mmmm Im not sure about that.You cant compare leagues without looking at the whole picture ie grounds and how things are run off the park and as for admin FAI V SFA dont make me laugh.In pure football terms our sides are nowhere near the level of the SPL sides in terms of ball retention ,fitness and coaching standards .

dcfcsteve
20/05/2009, 1:23 PM

Care to clarify which SPL teams the former Second Division Brechin City player has played against competitively.....?

dcfcsteve
20/05/2009, 1:26 PM
While I don't think LoI is as good as SPL, Twigg has suggested that the reason for scoring more goals is being surrounded by better players, which would be reasonable enough.

Being surrounded by better players who enable you to score goals would also equate with being surrounded by better defenders who help stop you scoring those goals, though.

Let's not forget that Rovers are only 4th in the table - suggesting that on-balance the players there to stop Twigg scoring are better at their jobs than the players there to help him score.

So his suggestion just doesn't stack up.

dcfcsteve
20/05/2009, 1:30 PM
Money.

What money would there be in a pairing of Rhyl v Cliftonville or Aberdeen v Crusaders ? :confused:

Where would that money come from ? The footballing public in countries like both parts of Ireland or Wales, who repeatedly show that they just don't care about their domestic football ? The Scottish footballing public, who would see the fixtures as no better than friendlies against a Scottish First Division side ? The Setanta broadcasting business that is teetering on the verge of bankruptcy....?

:confused:

RoversHead
20/05/2009, 1:36 PM
Jasus DCFCSTEVE your on a roll here

Ronnie
20/05/2009, 2:04 PM
Thanks for the input.

I'm with Rovers head on this one. Anybody who thinks Bohs, Cork, Derry would hold their own consistently in the Scottish Premier, outside the old firm is dreaming. We might look down on Motherwell or Falkirk, but they are much bigger clubs than us - infrastructure, administration, underage structure, support, finance. Indeed, if you compare populations, and exclude Glasgow, ireland and scotland are roughly similar in population but their clubs are miles ahead - Aberdeen average over 10000 per game, yet only 212000 population.