PDA

View Full Version : A different view on the Stadium issue

Pages : [1] 2

patsh
09/01/2004, 10:13 AM
from the Letters page of the Irish Times

DO SOCCER FANS DESERVE A STADIUM?

Madam, - Tom Humphries (LockerRoom, January 5th) is spot-on in his comment on the National Stadium mess. GAA people are more tuned-in and quicker off the mark than all of the other sports bodies put together.

The entire organisation, from club members to the president, proudly work almost as a unit to achieve their successes, and they are many, culminating in the building of their own massive stadium. And yes, it is their own property, and well deserved.

I know what it is like to try and engender an interest in international standard facilities with people who are simply too thick, smugly arrogant, or just plain lazy.

Some years ago I addressed a Republic of Ireland supporters' meeting on the very subject of a national stadium, and it became obvious that if I wasn't offering free drink or cheap flights to Manchester or London, I might just as well shut up.

On another occasion outside Lansdowne Road, as I distributed leaflets to punters at a Ireland-Russia friendly condemning the bedraggled state of the stadium, I was heckled by groups of drunks for "letting our city down" and subjected to cries of "Lansdowne is the best venue in Europe."

Our supporters, when abroad, are said to be the best behaved. I sometimes wonder: would that be because they are unable to stay on their feet for long enough to misbehave?

The unpalatable truth for supporters of world-class facilities in this country is painfully obvious. The majority of fans are so wedded to their almost daily dose of Premiership football and staying on-side with the ever rising cost of Sky sports and of course the "few" pints, that they don't have sufficient time to lobby their local representatives on the less important issue of a national stadium.

Even Bertie has come to realise they just don't deserve it. - Yours, etc.,

NIALL GINTY, The Demesne, Howth Road, Killester, Dublin 5.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, the only problem with this letter is the statement that Ahern actually realises something. Thats simply unbelieveable.

Éanna
09/01/2004, 10:16 AM
agree 100% patsh. the guy has it almost spot on. only chance bertie has of realising it is if he'll get votes out of it

tiktok
09/01/2004, 10:18 AM
Nail on the head.

nifan
09/01/2004, 10:20 AM
Our supporters, when abroad, are said to be the best behaved. I sometimes wonder: would that be because they are unable to stay on their feet for long enough to misbehave?

Like all fans the majority are impeccably behaved, but the muppets are there all the same.

Éanna
09/01/2004, 10:55 AM
no, WE deserve one. The vast majority of people who call themselves football fans in this country don't, and the FAI certainly don't. Its a double-edged swrod really.

pineapple stu
09/01/2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by nifan
Like all fans the majority are impeccably behaved, but the muppets are there all the same.

There's a much higher percentage of true fans (and of eL fans, coincidentally enough!) on away trips. I think the myth of Ireland having the best fans in the world should be changed to having the best travelling fans in the world - and there's a huge difference.

Interesting - and depressing - viewpoint in the letter though.

Peadar
09/01/2004, 1:19 PM
Originally posted by patsh
from the Letters page of the Irish Times

That is a very ignorant and childish statement!
Trying to degrade the credibility of the case of the FAI by insinuating the fans are drunks!
Anyone who ever travelled away to an Ireland game would see that the behaviour is generally spot on.
We've had GAA teams being thrown off flights because they were drunk and disorderly not to mention the state of the supporters at championship games around the country every summer. I certainly would never use such a generalisation in an attempt to deny GAA supporters their own national stadium.
The simple fact is that Bernard O'Byrne brought the FAI within touching distance of having, their own ground, but Bertie stepped in, bribed the FAI and Bernard was hounded out over misuse of an FAI credit card. The GAA got their money off the government and off the people of Ireland. It doesn't make them better people or more organised. For years the foolish folk of this simple minded land have been funding the Catholic Church through some sense of duty or purely out of habit. The GAA have capitalised on the same misguided loyalty. Like the promoters of a protestant religion, the FAI will always rely on the financial support of a minority.
Football isn’t about standing outside a dilapidated stadium, handing out leaflets.
It’s about the skill of the players, the roar of the crowd and the range of emotions experienced in 90 minutes.
Whether or not supporters of any code deserve a stadium is a futile discussion. Whether some of our finest sports people deserve a venue worthy of their world class ability should not even be debated.
For most people who attend Lansdowne Rd. they’re not bothered if they’re sitting on temporary seats or if the rain gets you no matter where you sit. They’re there for the football and will continue to go no matter where the game is played.
For security and safety Lansdowne Rd needs to be redeveloped.
That will also increase capacity which will allow a greater number of people experience the magic of international football. Who has the right to deny that?
We will get our stadium.
Even if I have to give every minute of my free time to carrying a hod or swinging a pick, we will get our international stadium.

republic
09/01/2004, 1:42 PM
Niall Ginty is back! :D

I was wondering where Niall had got to! Some years ago Niall Ginty established the National Stadium Action Group. As far as I know he was pretty much the only member which was a pity as he did some very good work and spent a lot of his own time and money in trying to get people interested in supporting a National Stadium.

I wouldn't agree with a lot of what Niall wrote but his heart is in the right place. Supporting that well known GAAHman Tom Humphries who doesn't miss a chance to trumpet is support for the bogfighters and slag off the beautiful game is not a good idea! :mad:

patsh
09/01/2004, 2:37 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
Hold on their a minute, I can accept the fact that you may dislike Bertie Ahern. God knows I've tried to convert you often enough!

But I cannot agree with someone whose basic premise is that GAA supporters are all round beter people than 'soccer' fans, and we don't deserve a stadium. You mean to say that all of you who knock Bertie on the stadium issue agree that we should never have had one anyway?
My intention in posting the letter was to simply show another point of view on the issue.

A good point is that the GAA got up off their backside, got together themselves and built their stadiums. They got some help from Government coffers, but I would think they deserve that. Ahern also makes sure that he is seen as a high profile supporter of gaelic football.

On the other hand, the FAI deserves the same level of financial support, but the difference is that the FAI cannot get their act together to build the Stadium. It is a fact that the only time they did get plans together, Ahern did shaft them, and made sure that the FAI would never get Eircom Park built. Along with that, Ahern is one of the biggest cheerleaders for the premeirship in this country, never passing up a chance to profess his undying love for Man U.

There is quite a contrast in the attitude and actions of Ahern towards the two organisations. If Ahern really had the interests of soccer in this country at heart, we would have had a stadium long ago.

gspain
09/01/2004, 3:09 PM
My intention in posting the letter was to simply show another point of view on the issue.

A good point is that the GAA got up off their backside, got together themselves and built their stadiums. They got some help from Government coffers, but I would think they deserve that. Ahern also makes sure that he is seen as a high profile supporter of gaelic football.

On the other hand, the FAI deserves the same level of financial support, but the difference is that the FAI cannot get their act together to build the Stadium. It is a fact that the only time they did get plans together, Ahern did shaft them, and made sure that the FAI would never get Eircom Park built. Along with that, Ahern is one of the biggest cheerleaders for the premeirship in this country, never passing up a chance to profess his undying love for Man U.

There is quite a contrast in the attitude and actions of Ahern towards the two organisations. If Ahern really had the interests of soccer in this country at heart, we would have had a stadium long ago.

The GAA got their money in good times and good luck to them. The bigotry etc is another argument.

The F.A.I. had plans for a stadium that were scuppered. it was the right decision to abandon them given what was on offer. with hindsight they should have got guarantees from the government

I'm no fan of Bertie but has was shafted by the PDs on this one. FF might be in government but the PDs are in power.

Lets hope it finally gets sorted this month but I am convinced it will not be and that it will be buried in committees.

As for Bertie being a true gaaman or football man or even a rugby man well he is a populist and he'll be all things to all people.

republic
09/01/2004, 3:20 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
Like the promoters of a protestant religion, the FAI will always rely on the financial support of a minority.

Minority???

Football is the most popular sport in the state. Including the 6C it is even more so. Have a look at the TV audience figures for All Ireland finals and compare them to Republic internationals. The Beautiful Game wins out every time. Compare the reaction and interest throughout the country between and All Ireland final and an Ireland match in the World Cup. No comparison whatsoever.

Where the GAAH wins is the attendance at live matches. However, the competition from Soccer and Rugby, apart from internationals, is largely non-existent.

gspain
09/01/2004, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by republic
Minority???

Football is the most popular sport in the state. Including the 6C it is even more so. Have a look at the TV audience figures for All Ireland finals and compare them to Republic internationals. The Beautiful Game wins out every time. Compare the reaction and interest throughout the country between and All Ireland final and an Ireland match in the World Cup. No comparison whatsoever.

Where the GAAH wins is the attendance at live matches. However, the competition from Soccer and Rugby, apart from internationals, is largely non-existent.

apart from Peader's comment being sectarian.

Just to echo Republic's comments,
Football is also the most played sport in this country. It far outstrips gaa in playing numbers. Even in Kerry they have more football players now than gaelic players.

Domestic football in the country loses out to the GAA as a spectator sport as our football fans mainly support Man Utd and Liverpool rather than Cork City and Shelbourne. Sadly Liverpool and Manyoo could fill Corke Park every week but Shels can't fill tolka.

patsh
09/01/2004, 3:40 PM
Thank Christ someone else has said it.

I know FF deserve flak over this affair, particularly Bertie, but in the rush for some party political condemnation we overlook the FAI who royally screwed up on this one. Not to have sought any security in the matter, perhaps a charge over the lands at Abbotstown, and to pin all our hopes on the promise of a politician was insanity.
OK, lets get a few points straight.
1. The MAIN responsibility for soccer not having a stadium of it's own in this country definitely lies with the FAI.
2. NO other politician in this country trumpets his supposed love of sport and soccer so much as Ahern.

So, no matter how disparaging you want to be about Eircom Park, if Ahern, (or FF/PD/whoever you want to blame), had any real interest in soccer, he would have been, if not supportive, at least neutral on the issue. Instead he actively worked against the proposal and put it down at every hands turn, ably abetted by his chief cheerleader Dunphy. Anyone who lines himself up with Mr. "Dublin Dons", deserves all the abuse he recieves.

Finally, to my eternal frustration, the FAI continue to thrash aimlesly about on this issue. Instead of throwing their lot in with the highly dodgy rugger shower, Rooney should be meeting regularly with Sean Kelly, to get advice, help and know how on how to go about running a spporting organisation in this country.

And Conor, I really don't want to get into a political argument. If you cannot see the error of your ways by now, you never will ! ;)

Peadar
09/01/2004, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by gspain
apart from Peader's comment being sectarian.

I think you should look up the definition of sectarian and then explain how you apply it to my post.

As for the comment by republic about football being the most popular sport, what I was talking about was in terms of money contributed by the people of Ireland to football in Ireland with regard to the money contributed to the GAA.
If football is so popular then how come the game struggles financially in this country?
I used religion as an example. No one needs to get into a battle about sectarianism.

John83
10/01/2004, 1:34 PM
...Ahern is one of the biggest cheerleaders for the premeirship in this country, never passing up a chance to profess his undying love for Man U.
Don't forget that this is a man who referred to the undoubted class of Ole Gunnar "Socksler" and Luke "Chapman". The words 'bandwagon' and 'glory supporter' come to mind.

John83
10/01/2004, 1:43 PM
If football is so popular then how come the game struggles financially in this country?

Because:

Domestic football in the country loses out to the GAA as a spectator sport as our football fans mainly support Man Utd and Liverpool rather than Cork City and Shelbourne. Sadly Liverpool and Manyoo could fill Corke Park every week but Shels can't fill tolka.

Peadar
10/01/2004, 7:23 PM
Originally posted by John83
Because:

I think you guys should read what people post before flying off the handle. The GAA benefit from the vast sums of money generated from attendance figures and therefore it was easier for them the build their own stadium. Having said that they still needed a substantial contribution from the tax payers via our taoiseach and the bias of his generosity.
None of the above indicates that the GAA and its supporters are better people than the FAI and its supporters and therefore are no more or less entitled to a national stadium.
It may hurt the delicate feelings of Conor to admit it but Bertie Ahern destroyed eircom Park for his own gain so that he may be imortalised by his white elephant. We now have nothing only the promise that the government will discuss the issue further.
Charlie Haughy's student has learned well and is truely the master of political corruption!

A face
11/01/2004, 1:01 AM
It may hurt the delicate feelings of Conor to admit it but Bertie Ahern destroyed eircom Park for his own gain so that he may be imortalised by his white elephant. We now have nothing only the promise that the government will discuss the issue further.

Regardless of Conors feelings .... that is what the whole country or anyone with a brain in their head percieved the whole thing to be.

Lads, this guy standing outside Lansdowne ... what is the story with him. Is he a fruit and nut cake ? Where is he from ... never heard of him and his campaign before ?

One point that he made though was the GAAaahhh work as a unit, from the unwaged to the waged, from the depths of whatever god forsaken town, right up to the elite at HQ (the guys that are allowed use the lift) ..... where as the FAI/the supporters/junior football/schoolboys/etc. do not, but maybe that is where the problem lies !!

P.S. I hate this thread

republic
12/01/2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by A face

Lads, this guy standing outside Lansdowne ... what is the story with him. Is he a fruit and nut cake ? Where is he from ... never heard of him and his campaign before ?

Niall Ginty spent a lot of his own time and money trying to promote the concept of a National Stadium. His heart at least was in the right place. It seems that he may have become somewhat disillusioned recently with the lack of progress.

He was actually involved, to some extent, with the Dublin Dons proposal. Not especially that he wanted to see Premiership football in Dublin but rather because at that time it offered the best chance of a proper football stadium being built. Property developer Owen O'Callaghan had received planning permission for a 40,000 seater stadium with to be built in Quarryvale and I think Niall Ginty was one of the main supporters of that proposal. However, at the end of the day I don't think it particularly mattered to him where the stadium was built and whether there was an anchor tenant or not.

gspain
13/01/2004, 7:49 AM
Fran Rooney was on RTE's Questions & Answers last night.

Some interesting points.

1) Jim McDaid still favours the 80,000 option at Abbotstown.

2) Audience generally in favour of stadium.

3) Alan Hunter has a mate - anothe rmember of the IFSA there.

4) Enda Kenny made a significant statement backing the stadium and saying that FG will facilitate pushing this through quickly and made comments re dithering etc - my reading of this is that he expects the government to long finger a decision again.

5) Rooney kept stressing the need for a decision but remained silent when Abbottstown was mentioned by McDaid. I assume he would still be thrilled if Abbotstown was given the go ahead.

6) McDaid was very pessimistic re getting planning permission through for Lansdowne without years of delay - he does have a point here.

7) 3 options still o nthe table - 50,000 at Lansdowne, 65,000 or 80,000 at Abbotstown.

While a finished stadium in Lansdowne would be the bette rprospect the more I think about it Abbotstown makes sense - no planning issues, no need to move abroad while being built. However I still don't trust this government to make a decision.

How many times would we sellout the Brazil friendly at an 80,000 seater Abbottstown next month????

John83
13/01/2004, 9:52 AM
Jim McDaid still favours the 80,000 option at Abbotstown.

...McDaid was very pessimistic re getting planning permission through for Lansdowne without years of delay - he does have a point here.

...3 options still o nthe table - 50,000 at Lansdowne, 65,000 or 80,000 at Abbotstown.

While a finished stadium in Lansdowne would be the bette rprospect the more I think about it Abbotstown makes sense - no planning issues, no need to move abroad while being built. However I still don't trust this government to make a decision.

How many times would we sellout the Brazil friendly at an 80,000 seater Abbottstown next month????

The planning permission issue is a point I hadn't thought of, but I think an 80,000 seater at Abottstown would be a financial disaster. There's no way we'd fill it for a friendly against anyone but France, Brazil, Argentina, England, Italy, Germany, Holland, Portugal or Spain, and maybe not even for all of them.

Even competitive matches would be half-full a lot of the time. It would end up a white elephant for the government, and not economically viable for the FAI or the IRFU to open it for most matches.

patsh
13/01/2004, 11:06 AM

He also claimed this would be best because they were basing it on "the Olympic Stadium in Munich" model. There the local community used the stadium a lot, so therefore that made it profitable.
Would somebody in FF, maybe you might help him out Conor, point out to McDaid the following facts:
Munich is a city of almost 2 million people, with fantastic transport infrastructure and an underground system which stops at the Olympic park. The Olympic park where the stadium is situated, has a residential area, shops, restaurants, cinemas, clubs, in fact it is a medium sized town, almost in the city centre of Munich.
There is a population of roughly 12 million people within 1 and a half hours drive/train journey time.
Abbotstown is a place with a road passing by. There is no local community, there is no transport infrastructure, there are roughly 4 million people who might possibly use the facilities, but for most of them getting there is a days journey virtually.

So 1 place has a vibrant, large local population, infrastructure and economy.
The other place is a muddy field.
Remarkably similar, aren't they?...:rolleyes:

gspain
13/01/2004, 11:20 AM
there is a big tradition here of attending sporting events.

I believe we would sell out 80,000 block bookings for this campaign.

You can also design a stadium so that you don't open the full ground for lesser games. The GAA's issue with Croke Park is that the premium seats which are guaranteed for every event are in the middle tiers so it is not possible to just open the lower tier hence they need a 35,000 min attendance to justify using Croke Park.

Every 6 nations home rugby game v Wales, Scotland and england would sellout - 15,000+ away fans now for these and most have no hope of getting in. France will probably sellout and Italy would still attract a decent crowd (a block booking system would sell that out too).

How many times would the GAA sellout their All Ireland finals and big Dublin games?

There are economies of scale once you go above a certain attendance figure but even with 65,000 tickets there would still be huge demand for tickets.

pete
13/01/2004, 1:26 PM
The fault continues to lie with the govt!

Govt ask FAI/IRFU to submitt their perferred option. Got right or wrong they submitt their preferred option as Lansdowne.

Govt continue to dither. No time scale given for decision. FAI/IRFU can't even try to come up alternatives til the govt makes a decision!

btw 60k would be plenty big enough in either location!

I think its fairly bad that elcted Ministers can't make a decision on a football stadium. How can anyone trust them to make decisions that actually affect the daily lives of the population.

:rolleyes:

gspain
13/01/2004, 1:52 PM
Originally posted by pete
The fault continues to lie with the govt!

I think its fairly bad that elcted Ministers can't make a decision on a football stadium. How can anyone trust them to make decisions that actually affect the daily lives of the population.

:rolleyes:

That's the worry. They can't and they don't. Hence I think they'll dither again here.

republic
15/01/2004, 10:16 AM
Fran Rooney was on RTE's Questions & Answers last night.

Some interesting points.

3) Alan Hunter has a mate - anothe rmember of the IFSA there.

4) Enda Kenny made a significant statement backing the stadium

1) It is obvious that McDaid and Bertie still favour Abbotstown. The more I think about it the more I favour this too. McDaid said that he examined all the planning issues around Lansdowne. It is a minefield. Redevelopment of Lansdowne will also mean that the DART will have to be stopped or, at least, seriously curtailed. Can anyone realistically see this happening? There will be an *extremely* powerful residents lobby who will do everything possible to stop the redevelopment.

2) Allan Hunter's mate (Sean Reid?) in the ISFA surprisingly came across as being quite reasonable.

4) Enda Kenny making a "significant' statement". That's a first! Despite all Bertie's obvious failings we are fortunate that Enda is not in charge :D. (Apologies to any Blueshirts)

Also seen in the audience was the esteemed Niall Ginty who asked a question about the possibility of a retractable roof. Ain't gonna happen Niall.

Fran Rooney's main argument was that a decision is needed now, irrespective of location. I suspect Rooney's preferred option is Lansdowne but that he would gladly support Abbotstown .

patsh
15/01/2004, 12:34 PM
1) It is obvious that McDaid and Bertie still favour Abbotstown. The more I think about it the more I favour this too. McDaid said that he examined all the planning issues around Lansdowne. It is a minefield. Redevelopment of Lansdowne will also mean that the DART will have to be stopped or, at least, seriously curtailed. Can anyone realistically see this happening?
Well serious curtailment and stoppage of the Dart is already happening, isn't it?
Aren't the stations along the line being upgraded, which means no Dart at the weekends?

The planning issues at Lansdowne would surely be nothing compared to the expenditure on Abbottstown, the upgrading of the roadway, and the issues and objections the PD scum will bring up.

patsh
15/01/2004, 2:36 PM
Will mention it to him at the Ard Fhis, during the lull in conversation after the venison and before the brandy and cigars. Jimmy is a good boy, you know, he'll understand...:D ;)
Will ye be putting on the circus in Kerry again this year?

pete
20/01/2004, 2:25 PM
Strangely enough i think it could be easier to get planning persmission at Lansdowne. The ground already has 2 stands so anything new will meerly be replacing them in height. Lansdowne is already designated as a sports stadium so whereas in Abbotstown they would surtely have to actually apply to get that designation...?

pete
20/01/2004, 2:25 PM
Strangely enough i think it could be easier to get planning persmission at Lansdowne. The ground already has 2 stands so anything new will meerly be replacing them in height. Lansdowne is already designated as a sports stadium so whereas in Abbotstown they would surtely have to actually apply to get that designation...?

drummerboy
21/01/2004, 11:48 AM
To complimate things even more, I have a feeling that the GAA will allow rugby and football into Croke Park, during their convenntion in April. The hierarchy of GAA don't want the other sports to have a modern stadium of their own. It could prove a treat to their own in times to come.

drummerboy
21/01/2004, 11:49 AM
Oops sorry about that, that should read complicate

soccerc
21/01/2004, 12:25 PM
A free stadium (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=11900&mainheading=Republic+of+Ireland&viewstory=yes)

gspain
21/01/2004, 12:48 PM
Re free stadium,

Yes it could - has been discussed quite a bit - is there a catch here?

2 D4 councillors on Newstalk this morning - residents have already met with Philip Browne and battle lines have been drawn - concewrns re houses being overshadowed and pop concerts etc.

Funniest thing was Chris Andrews being worried about the F.A.I. involvement. Said there was too much infighting and incompetence and they'd screw it up. And his father is a football man and patron of the association............................

Peadar
21/01/2004, 1:24 PM
Originally posted by soccerc
Could this be the answer

Without sounding like a total lánger, what does Nally get out of this?

tiktok
21/01/2004, 1:41 PM
Without sounding like a total lánger, what does Nally get out of this?

In a nutshell, it'd be his stadium.

He'd probably persuade the government to donate the land, but once it was up, his company would own and run it. They would charge the FAI and IRFU a fee for it's use (although still allowing them to make a nice profit). He can run whatever he wants out of it after that, can turn it into a concert venue or whatever he likes.

Basically, while it'd work to our advantage too, Nally would be seeing this as a way to make money through hosting events.

There was a great article in the herald on him a while back, if i can find it I'll post it up.

drummerboy
21/01/2004, 1:52 PM
It sounds too good to be true. What made me sceptical of the article in the Herald was the fact it was written by Mr Sensational himself Paul Hyland. However I hope my misgivings were misplaced, its certainly encouraging to see he met the Govt. It will cost the taxpayers zilch, except for the site at Abbotstown, which should satisfy Mary Harney.

republic
21/01/2004, 2:05 PM
The Nally proposal seems, at first glance, to have a lot of things going for it. There would probably be a lot less planning headaches compared to the Lansdowne redelopment.

Also the fact that it's 'free' to the state should make it extremely attractive to Slim & the PD's and also the Blueshirts.

gspain
21/01/2004, 2:38 PM
Is this the proposal that also required some of the land to build houses,hotel etc?

A stadium on its own is not financially viable now maybe it could be with land donation etc.

The old option years ago was a Casino and a stadium but that got scuppered too as successive governments did nothing.

The PDs are also against state land being donated so still work to be done.

republic
21/01/2004, 2:55 PM
Is this the proposal that also required some of the land to build houses,hotel etc?

The PDs are also against state land being donated so still work to be done.

Nothing has been indicated so far to suggest that additional land is required to build houses, hotels, casinos, brothels etc.

As regards the PD's nothing is surprising. The old saying that they 'know the cost of everything but the value of nothing' is never more evident when talking about them. Amazing that a parliamentary party which could fit in a taxi can hold an entire sporting community to ransom.

IrelandUnited
25/01/2004, 8:00 PM
Minority???

Not in fact true. No Ireland international was in the top three televised events in 2003 all of which were GAA. Even the make or break v Switzerland attracted fewer than the hurling semi final. Your complacency is part of the problem. The WC final appearances spoiled a lot of people who are now utterly uninterested if it is not a world cup final game. They are not Ireland fans. they are "event" fans and there is a difference.

gspain
26/01/2004, 8:41 AM
Originally posted by IrelandUnited
Not in fact true. No Ireland international was in the top three televised events in 2003 all of which were GAA. Even the make or break v Switzerland attracted fewer than the hurling semi final. Your complacency is part of the problem. The WC final appearances spoiled a lot of people who are now utterly uninterested if it is not a world cup final game. They are not Ireland fans. they are "event" fans and there is a difference.

Do you have the figures to prove this?

IrelandUnited
26/01/2004, 10:52 AM
Do you have the figures to prove this?

Yes. Check the Irish Times a couple of saturdays back They published the list. If we include the Special olympics which I do not but they do no football events were in the top 4. It was Two weeks ago I think but you can believe me on this.

My point is that we shouldn't confuse World Cup Final "Event groupies" with true fans. Most of them would go for tennis if an Irishman was in a Wimbledon final or for golf if an Irishmman was winning the US Masters. I actually believe the WC campaigns spoiled a lot of our fans who simply do not care about the Game except if its say v Germany in a finals tournament. The innocence is gone I suppose and the true fans remain

patsh
26/01/2004, 10:55 AM
They are not Ireland fans. they are "event" fans and there is a difference.
A bit like those people who show up at their nearest pub for one of Sky's weekly over-hyped "events" ?

IrelandUnited
26/01/2004, 10:59 AM
A bit like those people who show up at their nearest pub for one of Sky's weekly over-hyped "events" ?

Is that an attempt to put me back in the dock Patsh?

A bit like the vast majority of your fellow fans but I'm sounding like a broken record.

republic
26/01/2004, 12:01 PM
Yes. Check the Irish Times a couple of saturdays back They published the list. If we include the Special olympics which I do not but they do no football events were in the top 4. It was Two weeks ago I think but you can believe me on this.

I saw that report. This most viewed sports event was actually the opening of the Special Olympics!

A couple of things:

1.) Over the last number of years, soccer internationals have attracted the largest single event audiences on RTE; far in excess of All-Ireland finals etc.

2.) The figures released by RTE a couple of weeks ago do not obviously include viewers of internationals on Sky Sports. Sky has 300,000 subscribers in Ireland. It would be reasonable to assume that a significant number of those subscribers look at Sky's (arguably, superior) coverage of internationals in preference to RTE.

3.) The figures released by RTE do not also include those who look at internationals in pubs etc. For some reason soccer seems to attract a far greater number of viewers in pubs than GAAH or rugby. Strange but true.

IrelandUnited
26/01/2004, 1:06 PM
The All Ireland finals are contested by two counties out of 32. We shouldn't pat ourselves on the back because we may or may not get viewing figures that exceed those for the All Ireland. Viewing figures are not the be all and end all, next we'll be comparing ourselves with the Rose of Tralee and the Eurovision and seeing who's bigger. The GAA have facilities that put ours to shame in every parish and every county, bar pockets of Dublin perhaps.

Entirely true Conor and admirably level headed.

One or two comments on republics points.

1 Your assertion about figures "far in excess" of AI finals year on year is unsourced and almost certainly inaccurate. Leaving aside the 2002 far east I doubt if they have any truth this decade.

2 The figures do include pub audience as all Neilsen figures do.

I'm not startying a row on this since, like Conor ,I really do not care but in the interest of accuracy I point out that wishful assertion is one thing and reality another.

Macy
26/01/2004, 1:12 PM
The All Ireland finals are contested by two counties out of 32. We shouldn't pat ourselves on the back because we may or may not get viewing figures that exceed those for the All Ireland. Viewing figures are not the be all and end all, next we'll be comparing ourselves with the Rose of Tralee and the Eurovision and seeing who's bigger. The GAA have facilities that put ours to shame in every parish and every county, bar pockets of Dublin perhaps.
Pity the Tribune aren't visiting this week, eh Conor"GAA"74? Besides its that WUM that brought it up, but still I would've thought our "national games"(sic) would get far bigger audiences than some garrison game.....

gspain
26/01/2004, 2:54 PM
I haven't seen stats for last year but 2002 Ireland v spain game by far the most wtached sports event - also the biggest even t on network 2 (RTE1 gets consistently higher tam ratings than 2 or TV3 as it is the default channel).

2001 it was nearly all football with the Iran games and Portugal an dHolland - even Estonia beat the GAA finals.

Special olympics probably was number 1 last year but the Swiss game was the biggest event otherwise.

One year (91) the "broken glass spreaders" hired dimension Ad agency and they added to gether the viewing figures for the 2 All Ireland sand they beat the figures for the top Ireland game by 50,000 and then claimed that GAA was more popular. The same year more people watch England v turkey (in our qualifying group live on RTE on a wednesday afternoon) than the Hurling final.

republic
26/01/2004, 3:18 PM
Entirely true Conor and admirably level headed.

One or two comments on republics points.

1 Your assertion about figures "far in excess" of AI finals year on year is unsourced and almost certainly inaccurate. Leaving aside the 2002 far east I doubt if they have any truth this decade.

2 The figures do include pub audience as all Neilsen figures do.

Have a look at the 'official' figures released by RTE over the last number of years. Soccer has attracted consistently higher ratings than GAA finals or rugby internationals. I am afraid that I do not have the figures to hand but perhaps someone can dig them up? I will stand corrected on viewing figures in pubs if that actually is the case (?) but certainly not on the point regarding Sky. Add in the Sky figures with a subscription base of 300,000 homes and they make a noticeable difference. Sky also don't show live GAA (thankfully :D ) so the ratings have been skewed over the past year or more.

GSpain is correct in the points he is making regarding this issue.