PDA

View Full Version : Oldest Programmes for your club ?

Pages : [1] 2

dcfcsteve
18/05/2009, 5:56 PM
I'm keen to find out what the oldest programmes are for each of the LOI clubs.

Half the teams in the league have been in senior football for less than 25yrs, so for all of those I'll assume they've been producing programmes from day 1 (is that true for Mervue and Sporting F ?).

Of the older teams (Bohs, Shels, Pats, Rovers, Athlone, Sligo, Waterford, Dundalk, Drogheda) does anyone know when they first started doing programmes ?

Of the other teams who've been around in a non-league form (e.g. Cobh), does anyone know if they produced programmes for any big games prior to joining the league ?

Thanks.

John83
18/05/2009, 6:00 PM
UCD certain have had programmes back to our first league game, but I don't know if there's been a gap at any stage, or if we produced one during our non-league history.

Martinho II
18/05/2009, 6:17 PM
I know that we produced a program for the first ever senior match which was us against sligo rovers in abbeycartron in the 84/85 season.:ball:

soccerc
18/05/2009, 6:33 PM
Of the other teams who've been around in a non-league form (e.g. Cobh), does anyone know if they produced programmes for any big games prior to joining the league ?

Thanks.

St Francis produced programmes for all home games whilst still a Leinster Senior League side in season 95/96

The full series of them that I was holding for you seem to have been dumped, not by me I hasten to add, but SWMBO

red bellied
18/05/2009, 6:39 PM
This lads Sligo Rovers collection dates from the thirties.

http://www.sligochampion.ie/sport/other-sports/anthony146s-spectacular-collection-reflects-lifelong-devotion-to-rovers-1198174.html?start=2

He has also found it difficult to trace Rovers programmes from the 1960s and ‘70s, although his vast collection includes programmes from most of the other decades in the club’s history. He even has a programme from a home match in the 1936/’37 season when Rovers won the League for the first time.

I know that we produced a program for the first ever senior match which was us against sligo rovers in abbeycartron in the 84/85 season.:ball:

Saw that on ebay last week.

Partizan
18/05/2009, 7:16 PM
We have been producing match programmes since the mid 1930s and once saw one from the 1937 Cup Final.

as rare as hens teeth they say.

DmanDmythDledge
18/05/2009, 7:26 PM
Info about ours here (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=286636&postcount=17).

atfconline
18/05/2009, 7:54 PM
Certainly there exists one from 17th March 1924 from our Cup Final win over Fordsons.

Carlin
18/05/2009, 11:22 PM
Bohs started producing programmes in 1938 and kept doing so until the mid 50s.

Apart from big friendlies, they didn't produce programmes again til 1966 and have continued to do so since.

Ash
19/05/2009, 7:39 AM
Certainly there exists one from 17th March 1924 from our Cup Final win over Fordsons.

I wonder if Orlando distributed a few team sheets back in 1887 :D

blackholesun
19/05/2009, 8:23 AM
Shamrock Rovers did a programme for every game starting in the 1938 season.
I am not sure if one off programmes were done before that, I've never heard of any.

bhs

seand
19/05/2009, 9:29 AM
Dundalk have been producing programmes regularly since at least the 30s, and I think there were some in the 20s. I don't know of any from before Dundalk joined the league in 1926.

Cobh had a special issue for the cup game against Dundalk in 82-3, prior to joining the league.

Drogheda produced programmes in their first season in the league and there are a few examples from before then.

HarpsinDublin
19/05/2009, 12:26 PM
Harps first programme appears to be for the first competitive game against Shamrock Rovers in the Dublin City Cup.

Never come across one from our junior days yet! Strange as I have a number of Junior Cup Finals from the early sixties but have never come across one for 1968 when Harps won it.

Harps have produced pretty much regularly since 1969 but didnt do anything in 76/77, 77/78, 78/79 (bar Everton UEFA Cup), 79/80, 80/81 (bar Athlone FAI Cup), 81/82 (bar Bohemians League).

Mixture of teamsheets and programmes throughout middle to late eighties and programmes pretty much since.

gspain
20/05/2009, 11:21 AM
Derry issued from 1929/30 in the Irish league and from the start in the LoI.

Harps issued for Shamrock rovers city cup 1969.

Sligo as stated - 36/7 is as old as I've heard of.

Galway didn't issue pre league AFAIK - 1st issue v St Pats 1977

Longford v Drums cup 1957 - nothing known for v limerick 1953

Athlone v Windsor 1953 opening of stand at st mels.

Limerick v Shelbourne 1937 - 3rd home game (probably issued for first and second)

Cork is a thread all on its own - City issued v Limerick league cup but then claimed Waterford league was their first issue. Fordsons v Kilmarnock 29, Cork FC issued - seen copy v Shamrock rovers 1930, I saw a Cork Bohs programme v Bohs. Cork City v Bohs 1938 dublin city cup, Cork Utd v shels 1940, Cork Ath ltic v limerick 48, Evergreen v Rovers cup 51 pre-league, Cork Hibs v dundalk 57, celtic from 59, All albert rovers issues from 76/7 claim to be their first programme. cork united v limerick alex ludzic testimonial

Cobh apparently issued v Pats 48 in the cup but I haven't seen it.

There is a photocopy of a 1930 waterford issue v shels reproduced in a 1950's waterford programme. Earliest issue I've actually seen/have is 45/6 v limerick.

Thurles v Sligo 1977.

Newcastlewest v Limerick 85 league cup

Bray v Shels cup 1958 Bray Unknowns did issue but I haven't actually seen any.

A collector in Dundalk has Dundalk v Drums march 32. They issued regularly from 38/9 bur probably from at least 31/2.

Drogheda issued for a few leinster league games in 82/3. -1st one as a league club was v drums shield 63

Bohs issued v Cardiff 1925 and for other friendlies prior to 38 - 1st regular known league issues were from 38/9.

Drums issued in 39/40 - think I've number 6

Shels issued a card v Bohs 1937 and a regular issue from 39/40. Reds unite dissued v Bohs in the cup circa 34 so I assume shels were issuing then too.

Dolphin issued v Rangers 1933.

Brideville issued in 38/9 1st issue v Drums city cup I think.

Rovers issued from 38/9 1st issue v Waterford shield.

Transport issued in 48/9 limerick city cup sept probably earlier.

Pats issued pre-league v Shels in the cup late 40's.

UCD issued v Leeds 1971 - there is a programme for UCD v Celtic 1969 which I don't have but have seen and think it is a pirate. That is disputed but both the guys I know who have it. The Celtic guys consider it official.

I've left out some of the recent teams and have probably forgotten a few more.

Mark
20/05/2009, 3:15 PM
St Pat's issued from the time they joined the LOI. there where several for cup games in the late 1940s. programmes for the fai junior cup finals in the late 40s would have been published ,.... but by the fai

gspain
20/05/2009, 5:17 PM
St Pat's issued from the time they joined the LOI. there where several for cup games in the late 1940s. programmes for the fai junior cup finals in the late 40s would have been published ,.... but by the fai

Can you confirm that you know these Junior Cup finals had programmes issued? I've never seen a programme for any FAI Junior Cup Final in the 40's. BTW in reference to the Harps final above I suspect no programmes were produced for Junior finals from approx 65-75 apart from a St. Michaels issue for one of the early 70's. Fairview and Cals both from Limerick played in finals and a guy i know in Limerick is adamant nothing was done and he was at them and would have got programmes. I suspect 68 was probably the same.

Pats issued regular league programmes during 54/5 & 55/6 however I'm pretty sure they were not issuing regular programmes for their first 3 seasons in the LoI and subsequently until 1969.where a few issues appeared and then again not until the 1980's.

Indeed circa the 50th anniversary of the 1951/2 title win I recall discussing with the leading Pats programme expert and agreeing that it is unlikely any programmes were produced by Pats that season. However 1 v Shels has subsequently surfaced. Pats did issue for a few home FAI Cup games and home european ties but I know of only one other league issue (1960 I think v Rovers at Dalymount) up until 1969 outside of 54/5 & 55/6. If you can confirm any others I'd love to know about them (and buy them if for sale :D).

seand
21/05/2009, 10:21 AM
Dundalk have been producing programmes regularly since at least the 30s, and I think there were some in the 20s. I don't know of any from before Dundalk joined the league in 1926.

Cobh had a special issue for the cup game against Dundalk in 82-3, prior to joining the league.

Drogheda produced programmes in their first season in the league and there are a few examples from before then.

To clarify on Dundalk, there are images of a Dundalk v Bohs programme from 33-4 season in Jim Murphy's History of Dundalk book, that's the earliest I've seen. I'll bow to gspain's superior knowledge re: the existence of a programme from 31-2! (the earliest known LoI programme??)

Dodge
21/05/2009, 10:38 AM
Oi! Look after your own club… ;)

From my research I'd agree with gspain. Even in the late 70s/early 80s there weren't too many season that Pats issued for every game.

For those interested the Irish Programme fair is coming soon. Last weekend in May, aturday in Belfast, Sunday in Dublin. Can't remember where off hand...

dcfcsteve
21/05/2009, 11:21 AM
Oi! Look after your own club… ;)

From my research I'd agree with gspain. Even in the late 70s/early 80s there weren't too many season that Pats issued for every game.

For those interested the Irish Programme fair is coming soon. Last weekend in May, aturday in Belfast, Sunday in Dublin. Can't remember where off hand...

I'm heading over for the Belast Fayre on the Saturday, but hadn't realised the show was heading on to Ath Cliath the next day. Is it the same dealers with the same stuff at both events do you know ? Do yuo knwo who the organsier is ?

BTW - is there still a two-way split in the Republic's formal football programme collecting fraternity ?

pineapple stu
21/05/2009, 11:24 AM
UCD issued v Leeds 1971 - there is a programme for UCD v Celtic 1969 which I don't have but have seen and think it is a pirate.
Wasn't even aware we played Leeds. Any details on the game?

I assume we did nothing for our various non-league FAI Cup appearances or the Intermediate Cup finals?

Dodge
21/05/2009, 11:34 AM
I'm heading over for the Belast Fayre on the Saturday, but hadn't realised the show was heading on to Ath Cliath the next day. Is it the same dealers with the same stuff at both events do you know ? Do yuo knwo who the organsier is ?

BTW - is there still a two-way split in the Republic's formal football programme collecting fraternity ?

Yeah, the same dealers from UK would be involved. Not 100% certain on whether some ROI clubs are represented at the NI fair. Pats, Bohs and Rovers usually have a representative at the Dublin fair.

I'm not involved in any clubs but its run by the same people who have always run it. I think they're called Irish Programme collectors Club (or something like that). Gspain will know for sure.

gspain
21/05/2009, 6:38 PM
The Programme fair is in the St. andrews Resource Centre in Pearse street on Sunday May 31st approx 10.30am-2pm. Normally the same Cross Channel dealers go to both Belfast on the saturday and Dublin on the sunday. However they often have different stock. Local collectors will sell spares as well.

It is run by the Irish Football programme collectors club which has been around since approx 1981. We've had more splits since your average terrorist group. :D A rival Irish football programme collectos society was setup in the 1980's but is long defunct.

The Northern Ireland fair in in Georges Market on Saturday May 30th again approx 10.30am-2pm. I'm on the early morning BMI LHR to Belfast flight after the Nigeria game so say hello ifg you make the fair.

The Dundalk v Drums March 1932 is held by a Dundalk fan and collector. I have Dundalk v Shels September 1932. I've seen and have a photocopy of a Cork FC v Shamrock Rovers 1931 issue which is probably the oldest extant LoI club programme. The owner is not a collecter as such but has no wish to sell.
Apart from the Dundalk v Bohs mentioned I don't know of any other Dundalk homes until 37/8. Since then Dundalk have been probably the country's most prolific programme producers.

Programmes exist for FAI Cup finals as far back as 1924, 26,27 and 30 also exist - Bohs v Cardiff friendly 1925. The oldest extant programme from what is now the RoI is for an Ireland v England amateur International 1908 in Dalymount. A programme also exists for Ireland v England 1912 British championship at Dalymount.

Programmes are known to exist for all senior home Internationals except Belgium 1929 although I suspect one was produced.

However new issues still turn up all the time. ebay has certainly unearthed quite a few old items.

Martinho II
21/05/2009, 7:05 PM
anyone from foot.ie going to the fair?

Martinho II
21/05/2009, 7:09 PM
I will be going to the fair myself representing Longford Town .i have a lot of match programs to get rid of

gspain
21/05/2009, 7:11 PM
Wasn't even aware we played Leeds. Any details on the game?

I assume we did nothing for our various non-league FAI Cup appearances or the Intermediate Cup finals?

UCD v Leeds was August 7th 1971. No idea re the score but I'm sure collegetillidie will know.

UCD v Celtic was November 7th 1969 and was a 75th anniversary game.

Cork Athletic issued v UCD in the cup in 1957. I can't think of any others or indeed any issues for Intermediate cup finals.

DeNiro
21/05/2009, 7:27 PM
anyone from foot.ie going to the fair?

Can't make it this year, first I missed in a long time :mad:. It's an interesting and indeed expensive dayout!

pineapple stu
22/05/2009, 8:08 AM
UCD v Celtic was November 7th 1969 and was a 75th anniversary game.
Knew about that one alright; think George Casey refereed it. Also think we got utterly hammered. Wouldn't be surprised if the Leeds game was similar. Will try CTID on it though, cheers.

seand
22/05/2009, 8:29 AM
Knew about that one alright; think George Casey refereed it. Also think we got utterly hammered. Wouldn't be surprised if the Leeds game was similar. Will try CTID on it though, cheers.

10-0 to Celtic I believe

pineapple stu
22/05/2009, 8:31 AM
Ssssh!

Mark
22/05/2009, 10:51 AM
i can only go on what my dad says about St pat's.
He's sure there were progs for the junior finals. some of his uncles played in them. There were defo programmes (though not neccesaraly every game) for home games in chapelizod and milltown. maybe they were cup games only?

he believes there was a programme for the first game in chapelizod. there was certainly one later in the season he thinks, because it included a photo of mayor alfie byrne who had done the opening ceremony at the first game there. those photos appeared in the indo the following day after the first game there - i have photocopies of the pics and report.

seemingly there were huge gaps in the 60s and 70s - no prog for the game in which gordon banks played against rovers as far as my dad knows - though again he may be wrong.

i've none from the 50's tough i have a photocopy of the benefit game for jimmy timber cummins that was played against distillery - derek dougan played in it. the original was signed by Jimmy.

the pats programme editor is pat o'callaghan. i'd say he's the best port of call for more info.

dcfcsteve
23/05/2009, 3:32 PM
The Northern Ireland fair in in Georges Market on Saturday May 30th again approx 10.30am-2pm. I'm on the early morning BMI LHR to Belfast flight after the Nigeria game so say hello ifg you make the fair.

I'm on the 6:50am flight out of LHR if that's the one you're on Gary ? Twenty years after I was supposed to meet you before the 1989 cup final as a kid to sell you an old programme, we may finally get to say hello..... :)

It is run by the Irish Football programme collectors club which has been around since approx 1981. We've had more splits since your average terrorist group. :D A rival Irish football programme collectos society was setup in the 1980's but is long defunct.

Can you PM contact details for the IFPCC ? I haven't been a member in years, and couldn't find anything about them in Google. Thanks.

dcfcsteve
29/05/2009, 1:50 AM
I will be going to the fair myself representing Longford Town .i have a lot of match programs to get rid of

Martinho - I'm going to the Dublin fayre now, so bring any Town v City programmes you have :)

Martinho II
29/05/2009, 5:59 PM
Martinho - I'm going to the Dublin fayre now, so bring any Town v City programmes you have :)

well dcfcsteve I will have all my programmes there with me.. look forward to catchin up with you.. its a long four years since wales!:D:D

Blue-Army
29/05/2009, 7:57 PM
I have 2 old programmes...

Cup Final Offical Programme - Cork Athletic V. Shamrock Rvs.
Dalymount Park. Sunday, April 29, 1956.

and,

League of Ireland v. Hesse Football Association
Dalymount Park, Sunday 12th February 1956.

Both are in perfect condition. No marks etc..

Anyone know if they're worth anything? I probably wouldn't sell...just curious.

Dodge
30/05/2009, 10:28 AM
Not really. I bought the 1954 Cup final programme for €3 a few years ago

The LOI one might be a rare enought thing (as I've never even heard of the Hesse Football Association)

pól-dcfc
30/05/2009, 10:57 AM
Not really. I bought the 1954 Cup final programme for €3 a few years ago

The LOI one might be a rare enought thing (as I've never even heard of the Hesse Football Association)

It's a local association in Southern Germany. Bit like a Bundesliga -v- Munster FA match ;)

Mark
30/05/2009, 12:40 PM
the '56 final is quite common. lots of rovers fans i know have it.
the hesse ones are harder to find. the LOI played them several times - sometimes its refered to as hessen league, or is that a totally different league?!

dcfcsteve
30/05/2009, 1:10 PM
the hesse ones are harder to find. the LOI played them several times - sometimes its refered to as hessen league, or is that a totally different league?!

It's the same league - just two different names/translations.

LOI played them three times in Ireland : definitely on 12th May 1954and 12th February 1956, and also a third one I believe as well.

The programmes aren't all that difficult to come by in fairness. Probablty worth about a tenner, depending on which game it's from and what the condition is.

gspain
31/05/2009, 8:37 PM
I have 2 old programmes...

Cup Final Offical Programme - Cork Athletic V. Shamrock Rvs.
Dalymount Park. Sunday, April 29, 1956.

and,

League of Ireland v. Hesse Football Association
Dalymount Park, Sunday 12th February 1956.

Both are in perfect condition. No marks etc..

Anyone know if they're worth anything? I probably wouldn't sell...just curious.

Great to meet Marty and dcfcsteve at the fair.

The Hesse League programme is worth about 5-10 euro. Germany didn't have a proper national league until the 1960s. The Hesse league is from the area around Frankfurt.

1954 Dublin 1-0 Loi
1955 Frankfurt lost 7-2
1955 Kassel lost 5-0
1956 Dublin 4-1 LoI
1960 Dublin 5-2 LoI (alfie Hale hatrick)

None of the Dublin programme are anyway rare but the 2 German issues are very rare. Looks like home advantage meant a lot in those ties.

dcfcsteve
31/05/2009, 8:52 PM
Good to see Gary and Marty at the Fayre today - a good turnout and a nice set-up. Will definitely be back next year.

Marty - how much did you take for the club in the end ? I'm gonna offer to run one for City next year if it seems like it'd be worthwhile.

Gary - how did you think Belfast and Dublin went versus previous years ?

Martinho II
01/06/2009, 6:00 PM
besides meeting Gary and DC steve at it I also met Niamh who posts on here representing Cork City program committee who got a reward for best premier division. I also met Sean DeLoughery whos involved with Dundalks program who posts on here.I made some good contacts that day and it was great meeting ye all!

gspain
01/06/2009, 6:57 PM
Good to see Gary and Marty at the Fayre today - a good turnout and a nice set-up. Will definitely be back next year.

Marty - how much did you take for the club in the end ? I'm gonna offer to run one for City next year if it seems like it'd be worthwhile.

Gary - how did you think Belfast and Dublin went versus previous years ?

Belfast had its biggest attendance for many years imo. However many were just looking or being very specialised.

Dublin's was down a little on last year and down a lot on 2 years ago. The recession and doubts around the date didn't help. However chatting to a couple of stall holders - some did much better than last year some much worse. One cross channel dealer did much better in Dublin and another much better in Belfast.

This year saw a big crossover in people attending both fairs which was very welcome.

Martinho II
02/06/2009, 3:17 PM
it was my first year doing it. I had a fair few people delighted that there was a longford town stall. For the first two and a half hours I was flying then it went dead for the last hour and a half as i was going around stalls trying to buy old LTFC programs to add to the collection. I got a program from 1955 and 1960 when we played Shamrock rovers in the leinster senior cup final and limerick away in the fai cup. I also got a LTFc program from 1982 when we played Sligo Rovers in the League Cup in Abbeycartron.

Mark
02/06/2009, 6:51 PM
i got the 1980 fai cup final, pat's v waterford and am happy with that!

the guy at the back wall was doing well (the leeds expert?)

i didn't see much euro 88 stuff at all. made me wonder if my stuff is worth more than i think it is

roll on the next fair

seand
03/06/2009, 2:38 PM
Twas good to put a couple of names to the faces of fellow anoraks!

A good morning's hunting till the money ran out! I picked a free copy the frankly fabulous 'A Century of Cork Soccer Memories' book, a rare pirate issue from a 60s FAI Cup semi-final and a shedload of Irish in Europe and Dundalk stuff.

Spotted a certain League of Ireland referee picking up some Ireland internationals too!

Martinho II
04/06/2009, 7:09 PM
I bought twenty five programs at the program fair involving ltfc and it took five hours to read them all!:)

pineapple stu
04/06/2009, 7:19 PM
There's never that much reading in a Longford Town programme!

Keen2win
05/06/2009, 10:15 AM
A bit like the UCD fanzine so! ;)

Martinho II
05/06/2009, 3:51 PM
There's never that much reading in a Longford Town programme!

well the old ones did especially the away programs like shams and dundalk!:p

shaun71
30/06/2009, 2:57 AM
The oldest programme I have from my team (Middlesbrough) versus Irish opposition was at Bohemians in 1948. There were also programmes from our 1952 tour v Glentoran, Cork and Glenavon. The 4th game was against Drumcondra and for the life of me I cant find out whether a programme exists from that match. Can anyone help?