PDA

View Full Version : Juventus Sack Ranieri

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 4:22 PM
:D:)

OFFICIAL: RANIERI SACKED
Monday 18 May, 2009
Juventus have sacked Claudio Ranieri with just two games of the season left and made Ciro Ferrara caretaker Coach.

It has been a disappointing campaign for the Bianconeri, who have failed to secure any trophies and are in danger of sliding into fourth place.

After last weekend's 2-2 draw with Atalanta, the Juve directors held a crisis meeting with President Giovanni Cobolli Gigli this morning and they have decided to end the Ranieri era early.

“Juventus would like to thank Ranieri for the work he has done over the last two years,” a statement from the club reads.

“We will the new boss Ferrara immediate success in his new position.”

Ferrara will be presented to the Press at 5.15pm and will take charge of training tomorrow morning.

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/may18p.html

DeLorean
18/05/2009, 4:25 PM
You're happy I take it Maroon?

tetsujin1979
18/05/2009, 4:26 PM
Pity, I always liked Ranieri as a coach. Thought he got a bit of a raw deal from Abramovich but I'm sure the pay off was more than compensatory!

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 4:41 PM
You're happy I take it Maroon?

Extremely. :D

irishultra
18/05/2009, 4:48 PM
Who would you like to see come in to replace him? I was thinking maby Lippi but very doubtful.

DeLorean
18/05/2009, 4:53 PM
Extremely. :D

I wouldn't follow Serie A like you do but I was under the impression that things were motoring along nicely for Juve. Champions League football on their return to the top flight and performed well in that as well. What exactly was the problem- too inconsistent in the league, too many points behind Inter presumably?

NeilMcD
18/05/2009, 4:54 PM
No wins in their last 7 and may possily not make the Champions League next year.

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 4:56 PM
Who would you like to see come in to replace him? I was thinking maby Lippi but very doubtful.

That won't happen, he's said a few times that he won't go back to club management.

My first choice would have been Genoa's Gian Piero Gasperini but he signed a new contract at Genoa today :mad:.

The other candidates are:
Antonio Conte(won promotion to A with Bari this season),
Cesare Prandelli (currently with Fiorentina),
Roberto Mancini (was harshly sacked by Inter when they hired Mourinho),
Luciano Spalletti (currently with Roma)

The outsiders would be Rijkaard, Sven, Luca Vialli.

Out of all of them, I'd choose Cesare Prandelli. :)

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 4:56 PM
No wins in their last 7 and may possily not make the Champions League next year.

We will definitely make the CL next year.

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 5:00 PM
I wouldn't follow Serie A like you do but I was under the impression that things were motoring along nicely for Juve. Champions League football on their return to the top flight and performed well in that as well. What exactly was the problem- too inconsistent in the league, too many points behind Inter presumably?

ProblemS

-he's tactically inept
-he's managed to force 2 Juve legends to the verge of leaving club (Trezeguet and Buffon)
-he's extremely reluctant to give any of our highly promising youngsters a chance (Giovinco, Iago, etc)
-he insisted we sign Poulsen instead of Xabi Alonso when we desperately needed a creative midfielder

DeLorean
18/05/2009, 5:10 PM

Didn't realise they were on such a bad run

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 5:19 PM
Ferrara will be presented to the Press at 5.15pm and will take charge of training tomorrow morning.

Ferrara: "The first thing I'll ask to the boys is to bring 7pts in these last two games. If they bring 6 it'll be nice too."

:D

TheBoss
18/05/2009, 5:58 PM
Antonio Conte(won promotion to A with Bari this season),

Most likely choice

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 6:01 PM
Most likely choice

IMO, Spalletti is most likely, unfortunately.

TheBoss
18/05/2009, 6:03 PM
IMO, Spalletti is most likely, unfortunately.

Not sure about, he has somewaht struggled despite playing good football with Roma, I think Conte would be the best choice, he knows the club, the fans would like him.

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 6:21 PM
Not sure about, he has somewaht struggled despite playing good football with Roma, I think Conte would be the best choice, he knows the club, the fans would like him.

I agree that Spelletti has struggled that's why I said "unfortunately", but something just tells me that he's the one that'll get the job. Prandelli has distanced himself from it in the press (I know that doesn't rule him out though), Ferrara and Conte are very inexperienced, Mancini wouldn't be accepted by many of the fans because he'd be seen as an "Inter reject". That leaves Spelletti.

As for Conte... as I said, he's very inexperienced. He's never managed in Serie A or in European football let alone a club that should be challenging for the title and for the CL. All he has going for him really is what you said: he knows the club, the fans would like him.
I'd love Conte to be Juve manager in the future but I just don't think he's ready for it yet and I hope the board feel the same way.

Another interesting point to do with all this, the president's contract expires this summer. There could be change upstairs in the club as well. Lippi has been linked with a directors role after the World Cup in 2010.

TheBoss
18/05/2009, 6:42 PM
Somehow Moggi will get himself back involved :D

Mr Maroon
18/05/2009, 7:03 PM
Somehow Moggi will get himself back involved :D

:D I hope so!

volley
19/05/2009, 10:02 PM
Disappointed for Ranieri. Maybe harsh considering the considerable rebuilding job required at the club, he hadn't done that badly. But I guess the bad end of season run was unacceptable.
Ferrara was a top defender, but will he be a good 'Tecnico', if that is the word? They should sign Cassano I'll tell you that much (p.s. saw the house where he was born in Bari last month!).

Good to see Cannavaro going back there and I hope he gets the reception he deserves from 100% of the supporters. Just because Del P, Trez, Buffon & Nedved etc stayed with the club in Serie B, does not mean the players who left should be villified. You can't blame any player for leaving Juve when they were sent down to serie B. Fabio is a legend and one of the best defenders ever. Any Juve fan who isn't delighted to have him back needs head testing. Ok he is getting on a bit, but you have to love him.

Mr Maroon
20/05/2009, 2:28 PM
Ferrara was a top defender, but will he be a good 'Tecnico', if that is the word?
Possibly not but it doesn't matter that much. It's only for these 2 matches. He won't get the job permanently (unless we win both of these matches 6-0 :eek:).
L'allenatore is Italian for the manager by the way.

They should sign Cassano I'll tell you that much (p.s. saw the house where he was born in Bari last month!).
He's a great player but another forward is just about the only thing Juve DON'T need (a keeper is the other thing). We have Trezeguet, Del Piero, Iaquinta, Amauri, Giovinco. All world class. We badly need a full back for each side.

Good to see Cannavaro going back there and I hope he gets the reception he deserves from 100% of the supporters.
I'd say there's a 0% chance of that. Del Piero had a charity game in Turin a couple of days ago that Canna played in and he got booed and jeered in that. During a recent board meeting there were fans protesting against the board, Cannavaro and Ranieri outside.

DeLorean
20/05/2009, 3:28 PM
I'd say there's a 0% chance of that. Del Piero had a charity game in Turin a couple of days ago that Canna player in and he got booed and jeered in that. During a recent board meeting there were fans protesting against the board, Cannavaro and Ranieri outside.

Cannavaro was just a blow-in anyway. It wasn't like Del Piero or even Buffon to a lesser extent who owed most of their careers to Juve. He probably felt he had only a year or two left and didn't want to spend it in Serie B.

volley
20/05/2009, 8:16 PM
I'd say there's a 0% chance of that. Del Piero had a charity game in Turin a couple of days ago that Canna player in and he got booed and jeered in that. During a recent board meeting there were fans protesting against the board, Cannavaro and Ranieri outside.

Hmmm :confused: well I must admit I was not aware of how bad things were between the Juve fans and Fabio, excuse my ignorance on that front, but I still think they are going a bit over the top. Calciopoli was not his fault after all. And as DeLorean says, it's not like he owed his career to them. But he did give 100% all the time he was there. Fans must respect that. They must be realistic. We're talking about one of the greatest defenders of all time here. I wonder would they still be complaining if they were to win Serie A next season with him at the back..................

Mr Maroon
21/05/2009, 12:09 AM
Hmmm :confused: well I must admit I was not aware of how bad things were between the Juve fans and Fabio, excuse my ignorance on that front, but I still think they are going a bit over the top. Calciopoli was not his fault after all. And as DeLorean says, it's not like he owed his career to them. But he did give 100% all the time he was there. Fans must respect that. They must be realistic. We're talking about one of the greatest defenders of all time here. I wonder would they still be complaining if they were to win Serie A next season with him at the back..................

The root of the problem between the fans and him is not the fact that he left in 2006 but the manner in which he left.
He came out without statements like "Juve even in Serie C" and "this is my club, I'll stay through anything" (paraphrasing obviously) but then he ****es off to Spain to, in his words, "win the Champions League". That worked well for him by the way :rolleyes:.

John83
21/05/2009, 12:18 PM
Yeah, he's held in similar regard to Thuram and Zambrotta, while the big names who stayed willingly - Del Piero and Nedved in particular - are adored. Whether he'll be forgiven in time or not is another matter.

Interesting to see how that Cannavaro-Chiellini partnership we saw in Bari works out on a week to week basis.

Mr Maroon
22/05/2009, 11:38 AM
Yeah, he's held in similar regard to Thuram and Zambrotta

and Vieira and Ibrahimovic. Although Ibra is the most hated of them all.

John83
22/05/2009, 12:27 PM
and Vieira and Ibrahimovic. Although Ibra is the most hated of them all.
They always hated Ibrahimovic, even when he was playing for them. I can't remember specifics about Vieira.

Mr Maroon
22/05/2009, 1:45 PM
They always hated Ibrahimovic, even when he was playing for them. I can't remember specifics about Vieira.

The same situation. He left to Inter during Calciopoli.

John83
22/05/2009, 1:49 PM
I meant how the fans thought of him before he left, whether he came out with any "Juve forever" statements before jumping ship, etc.

Mr Maroon
22/05/2009, 2:20 PM
I meant how the fans thought of him before he left, whether he came out with any "Juve forever" statements before jumping ship, etc.
They were indifferent to him really.
No, he didn't make any Zambrotta and Cannavaro style "Juve forever" statements.

volley
23/05/2009, 11:21 AM
They were indifferent to him really.
No, he didn't make any Zambrotta and Cannavaro style "Juve forever" statements.

Interesting. But I wonder can Juve knock Inter off their perch next season. Definitely possible depending on who the gaffer will be obviously. But what I really want to see is Italian clubs doing better in Europe. They seem to be lacking a bit of confidence and belief in the latter stages of the CL these days. I don't think they are TOO far behind??

It infuriates me when pundits go on about Serie A being a rubbish league. I suspect those same pundits never actually watch any Serie A games! And you cannot judge the quality of a league by how well its teams do in a knockout european competition. I wonder if the bottom 4 in Serie A played the bottom 4 in the premiership what would happen............

Mr Maroon
24/05/2009, 3:36 PM
First match with Ferrara in charge.

Siena 0-3 Juventus
Del Piero free kick
Marchisio set up by Del Piero
Del Piero set up by Marchisio.

Vastly improved performance.