PDA

View Full Version : In todays Examiner-sounds familiar

Bernie
02/10/2001, 1:15 PM
[October 2, 2001
Corkery sickened by the years of insults

By Mick Ellard
FOR Colin Corkery, footballing battles are not just confined to the field of play.
He, more than most, seems to be at an epicentre of abuse from spectators and media with unkind and strongly vocal thoughts on his weight and pace.

He has been castigated for the past five years, and yesterday at an awards ceremony in his honour, he admitted he and his family have suffered greatly as a result of those comments.

“It is not nice for your wife and three year old kid to hear ‘Corkery you fat *******’ shouted when you are doing your level best to perform in a Munster or Cork County final.

“It is disgusting and disquieting and actually despicable, not alone to me but to my family,” said the genial giant who yesterday received his TSB Man of the Match award following his performance in Sunday’s Cork County senior football championship when he led Nemo Rangers to a record equalling 12th title success.

“I have had both health and weight problems but I never gave less than 100 percent when I put on the Nemo or Cork jersey.

“I find it very difficult to comprehend the antagonism and personal insults I have been subjected to over the five years,” said Corkery, who received his award from TSB regional manager John Denis at a luncheon also attended by defeated finalists Bantry Blues at Cork’s Imperial Hotel.

“Thankfully, I have learned to block it all out but I think it is reprehensible that my son Cormac, who will be three in December, and my wife Susan, should be listening to those things shouted out at me.

“I know it is part and parcel of things for a professional player to get shouted down. That is all part of the high profile they get thousands of pounds to live with. But we are amateur players and should get respect for what we do and the sacrifices we make on a voluntary basis for our various clubs and counties,” said Corkery. ]

Doesn't seeem to matter if its Turners Cross or Pairc UiCaoimh?

pete
02/10/2001, 1:21 PM
I've never seen the point of abusing your own players while they're on the pitch. Its not as if its going to make then try harder is it?

OK so everyone curses a player when they miss a bad chance or whatever but certain people (we all know who they are) constantly abuse certian players to no purpose.

Noel Hartigan might be useless but what the point in me shouting abuse at him while hes on the pitch?

:(

Brotus
02/10/2001, 1:41 PM
I've never seen the point of abusing your own players while they're on the pitch. Its not as if its going to make then try harder is it?

I can see where Colin Corkery is coming from, it's not nice for your family to be hearing things like "you fat Bast*&d".

But can you honestly tell me you have never slated the likes of
Noel Hartigan, Pat Morley, Deccie Daly etc,etc,

OK so everyone curses a player when they miss a bad chance or whatever but certain people (we all know who they are) constantly abuse certian players to no purpose.

"We all know who they are" whats that all about. Are we not true City supporters. I mean come on, I what to see city's best 11
play every week, but when there are players on the bench better than those on the field it ****es me off. The one player where all on about here is Morley, if the abuse he gets form the city fans doesn't make him think about getting fit and proven us wrong nothing will.:)

James
02/10/2001, 1:51 PM
The one player where all on about here is Morley

what are u on about Brotus
Morely is a great player and has alot to offer city as I and numerous others have said. everyone is agreeing with you on that point at all

ok last posting
i gotta go pack
:D USA, USA ,USA

Citymark
02/10/2001, 2:08 PM
Enjoy Boston James, easy on the Bud now!!!:D

Mark

pete
02/10/2001, 2:30 PM
I give up trying to make some constructive commenst backing skippy. whats the pount :rolleyes:

From what i've heard Bud is like the Dutch Gold of the US but maybe thats what your into ;) Bud is shi**but dear here here but its el cheapo beer in the US. Try Rolling Rock instead or Miller in the states.

Adios James, you better find a web connection fast when arrive stateside as i'm moving in quickely at the top of the posters list ;)

Citymark
02/10/2001, 2:35 PM
Actually James, try and get some Sam Adams. It's a local Boston beer. It's a dark red beer and is quite potent!! Don't forget to visit Harvard!! :rolleyes:

pete
02/10/2001, 2:39 PM
Actually James, try and get some Sam Adams.

Can second that as beer expert buddy always raving about but then again its an Ale so maybe not your thing?

niamh
02/10/2001, 4:39 PM
That's the difference between GAA supporters and football supporters...we know that shouting at them makes no difference as we have done so in the past and it never works...except occasionally with Pat Morley.

a.n.other
03/10/2001, 8:04 AM
that's right niamh gaa supporters have six heads four dicks and walk around all day telling people that colin corkery is a fat *******..soccer supporters on the other hand are lovely people who get up early to go the shops for old ladies ....don't generalise niamh the same people support both codes the only difference being the geographical and social basis of the codes.

Brotus
03/10/2001, 8:43 AM
Morely is a great player and has alot to offer city

Lads what do ye see in Morley, the man is about 37 and he is totally unfit. The only time he looks any bit good is away games cause he can't play against packed defences. I not saying he was never a good player but he can't last a game any more, but he would be a good sub to bring on for the last 15-20 minutes.

niamh
03/10/2001, 1:14 PM
Twas a joke a.n.other. And if you read it I made no referance to what GAA supporters are like. i simply said that us City supporters realised a long time ago that shouting at a player doesn't make a difference. The times I have been to a GAA match, in general, supporters never say anything bad about their own...Lighten up will you?

Neil
03/10/2001, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Brotus
Lads what do ye see in Morley
Class.

IMO People who give Morley a hard time are either sheep who feel a need to copy the personal grudge Moses has against Pat, or people who have no footballing brain and do not understand what Morley's game is all about.

Brotus
04/10/2001, 8:15 AM
People who give Morley a hard time are either sheep who feel a need to copy the personal grudge Moses has against Pat, or people who have no footballing brain and do not understand what Morley's game is all about.

Well Neil, I do be at the X every week and I would be one to give Morley a hard time, but to say I'm a sheep and only dislike morley because moses does'nt like him is one of the most stupid comments I've read on this Web page.

And I'll tell you now I DON'T understand Morley's game but I would appreciate it, Neil if you took the time to explain it to me.:D

Neil
04/10/2001, 10:11 AM
You have proved yourself to be one of the more idiotic posters here and your dislike of Morley fits the bill. Fair enough, we'll leave it at that.

A face
04/10/2001, 11:02 AM
somewhere "he just said what everyone is thinking", Neil i have to agree with you, this piped up hate thing for Morley, is crap and that sort of thing just isn't "with it" these days ... shape up Bronto or whatever your name is.

City till we die !!!:cool: :cool:

Brotus
04/10/2001, 2:22 PM
I was expecting a reply like that, the reason being is everyone out there likes Morley because of the player he once was. But let anyone tell me what morley offers the team now.

And face don't be a dick the name is Brotus it was wrote in front of ya. Agree with one thing City till we die:cool: :cool:

pete
04/10/2001, 3:04 PM
I've never suggested hes the greatest we have at the moment but he not ready to be put out to pasture yet.

But let anyone tell me what morley offers the team now.

Best finisher in the box CCFC have bar none.

Neil
04/10/2001, 3:18 PM
Originally posted by Brotus
let anyone tell me what morley offers the team now.

With all due respect to CPOB, he missed 5 sitters on Sunday. A certain Patrick Morley would have stuck at least two of them with his eyes closed. That is what he offers - deadly finishing. understand Brutas?