PDA

View Full Version : Vocal supporters needed

Pages : [1] 2

Beavis
08/01/2004, 1:46 PM
Haven't seen Prof Frink around here in a while but,now that we know where we're playing and we don't want a repeat of last campaign's morgue like atmosphere,
do yous want to take any action on the forming of a vocal supporters group in the south terrace?

ProfFrink
09/01/2004, 1:11 PM
According to Fran Rooney we are only allowed to play in Lansdown Road if the government (or someone with the money to do it) was a serious plan in place to build a stadium. At present as far as FIFA are concerned there is NO plan in place.

PS i've been off trying to get volunters. I have 20 names - but i reckon not all of them are serious. We still need more.

ProfFrink
13/01/2004, 1:47 PM
Right Brazil is the first match. We need people who are interested to get tickets for the south terrace. Meet up in a pub before hand, a couple of pints to get us going?

Any ideas for chants new/old?

I know this is obvious but everyone needs an rep. of ireland jersey.

Volunteers?

Beavis
13/01/2004, 1:58 PM
I think the thing about the net is that everyone can remain anonymous,so should we just decide that whoevers up for it to gather at a certain part of the south? Preferably sufficiently intoxified to sing themselves stupid for the match duration.

I've got about 4 but could get some more(but reluctant cos they're part timers and thats not what we want).That's not enough for any real noise I'm afraid :(

ProfFrink
13/01/2004, 2:07 PM
I reckon at the back of the south behind the goal.

Jon'o
13/01/2004, 7:50 PM
count me.... depending on ticket :rolleyes:

Beavis
15/01/2004, 1:16 AM
Any effective supporter group needs a large drum,I think my brother should be able to sort that out,but the more bodhrans,drums and other loud paraphenalia the better.
If there's any more that's required,suggestions would be appreciated.
We'll need a few more tunes than the hackneyed regulars.Possibly we could use irish ballads (no sectarian/IRA elements) e.g Big Strong Man,A Nation once Again,God Save Ireland,The Wearing of the Green(particularly appropriate:D) ,Whiskey in the Jar,Dublin in the Rare ould Times(Up the Dubs;)),Botany Bay,The Wild Rover,Galway Races etc etc.

Anyway there's plenty of time for further recruiting.But many aren't fortunate enough to have net access so how's about a Herald Ad or the likes?

tiktok
15/01/2004, 8:42 AM
Originally posted by Beavis
.......so how's about a Herald Ad or the likes?

every week the herald donates a page to the various football supporters clubs based about Dubin (on thurs i think), if you ring in your add by close of business monday it'll be featured (for free AFAIK).

sylvo
17/01/2004, 3:56 PM
i've found the craic better at friendly game's then at competative game's i think this is mostly due to the fact that coporate Ireland take's no intrest and that most of the tickets go to football fan's and not to bank's, golf club's and major national company's.
I think it's a good idea to get people organised and ready to turn the south terrace back to the bouncing sea of green and the deafening noise that used to be there before bucket seat's and fan's in suit's with personality bypass's appeared at lansdowne.
I agree that everone should turn out in green but i think that for every home game. i also think that the public adress guy at lansdowne with his tina turner c'd s and other rubbish should take a night off and leave it to someone who can help get the crowd going, for example when we were in germany for the friendly in 94 the d j was playing non stop pogues tune's and the crowd was going mad.
but back to the story yea i think that every one should be made aware that if yer going to be on the south terrace for the brazil and cezch game's bring yer singing voice's and leave the golf club's at home, see yer all somewhere at back of the south terace on feb 18, obrigado senhor's

ProfFrink
20/01/2004, 1:46 PM
Six items:

1. What wording do you want for the herald ad?

2. Song: Johnny Boy (instead of Danny) for when O'Shea scores.

3. We also should post in a separate thread the words to the songs.

4. Also we need to all email the FAI to ask them that their PR man not play 'current chart hits' and instead play some real irish motivational music.

5. Where can I get the mother of all air-horns - one that would deafen the guys on the north when i use it on the south. :)

6. I should say this DON'T BOO anyone, lets not at our first match get a bad rep for Foot.ie Supporters Club.

Beavis
20/01/2004, 2:06 PM
Originally posted by ProfFrink

1. What wording do you want for the herald ad?

I would have sorted this out,but seeing as you've offered go ahead.Something along the lines of what's been discussed above (people willing to sing,green jersey,drums,no Ra heads etc and gathering at back of south centre presumably some time in advance of KO),
and prob should leave a contact number so that if we decide on any modifications between now and the first game that anyone interested could be notified ie take the numbers and send a text to them if necessary.
You could also state that further information is available at foot.ie/f67.htm. Anyway whatever you think yourself.I'd expect a decent response,I've talked to a good few people who are sick of the south being cr@p .

4. Also we need to all email the FAI to ask them that their PR man not play 'current chart hits' and instead play some real irish motivational music.
Good call

Foot.ie Supporters Club.
Is a specific name required?

tiktok
20/01/2004, 2:59 PM
1. To attract attention I'd call it 'Vocal Irish' as opposed to Foot.ie fans. It might be an idea to put a contact email address or to put a meeting place before the game at least.

3. Good idea, even EL boys could use another few ideas, a hymnsheet wouldn't be a bad idea either.

lively
20/01/2004, 3:40 PM
meeting up in a watering hole before hand is a good idea as you get to know the lads, have a couple of swifties and exercise the vocals.... also if you mention where the meeting point is in the add...

good idea re the half time music!...

Beavis
20/01/2004, 4:06 PM
Originally posted by lively
meeting up in a watering hole before hand

Grand we'll say for those interested in the pub before we'll chose one,and alternatively you could just join the group on the south.

As regards songs,any ballads I have the words,and will post no probs. Any particular ones in mind?

10,000 tickets for the terraces go on sale on Febuary 5th(Tuesday) from ticket master.ie and outlets,so if your joining us make sure to get yourself sorted.[E60 for the 3 friendlies]

ProfFrink
21/01/2004, 11:11 AM
The following email address has been set up:

VocalIrish@visiquiz.com

Beavis if you send your email address to the above address i'll send you the login and password details. Also if you could take care of the herald ad for next week as I might be off on a company junkit.

In regards to the email address if you want the name changed submit ideas in this forum.

Pogsly
21/01/2004, 12:54 PM
Lenwoods on the LOng Mile Road D12 is supposed to be good for those sort of things . A friend of mine used to work there and said they stocked Air Horns and the like.

sylvo
25/01/2004, 3:08 AM
Feel a bit helpless about the air horn's issue, plenty of place's over here in Laaandaaan that sell them, but in the present climate trying to take one of those air horn's through Stansted airport on the 17th, (night before game) might mean not only would i miss the Brazil game but might miss a few week's off work, you know what their like here, just found out that my ticket's will be in the usual east stand, will be losing my head up there like nornal, and wish you all the best in getting some real life going on the south terrace.

liam88
25/01/2004, 6:59 PM
Ideas for songs:
-Boy's on the Docks
-Wild Rover
-Every Dog has it's day
-Whats left of the flag (?)
-MOLLY MALONE!!! We have to do it! It will be brilliant if we can get the stadium going and everybody knows the words

Beavis
25/01/2004, 7:17 PM
The Wild Rover

I've been a wild rover
for many's a year
And I've spent all me money on whiskey and beeR,
But now i'm returning
With gold in great store
And I'll play the wild rover no more.

Chorus: And it's no nay never
No nay never no more
And we'll play the wild rover no never no more.

That's probably enough for a match situation,sing the Chorus a few times over and that'd be fine.It's a good tune for a match ,we usually sing it in pubs so there's no reason not to sing it on the terrace too.

liam88
25/01/2004, 8:59 PM
Whats left of the Flag-

"His eyes they close
and his last breath spoke
he had seen all to be seen
a life once full
now an empty vase
wilt the blossums
on his early grave

walk away me boys
walk away me boys
and my morning we'll be free
Wipe that golden tear
from your mother dear
and raiase what's left of the flag to me!"

Nice an' easy :)

Boys on the docks

"Say hey johnny boy,
the battle call Uninted we stand,
divided we fall
Together we are what we canit be alone
We came to this country you made it our home.

can go on.........

This man so humble, this man so brave A legand to many, he fought to his grave Saved family and friends from the hardship and horror In a land of depression he gave hope for tomorrow."

I know it's about the Irish coming to England but it's a good chant :D

ProfFrink
26/01/2004, 5:08 PM
Should the words not be?

FAI's been the wild rover
for many's a year
And they've spent all our money on bull**** and beeR,
But now they're returning
With no stadium to show
And they'll play the wild rover no more.

ProfFrink
26/01/2004, 5:17 PM
Alternative version of: Danny Boy

Oh Johnny boy, the fans,
the fans are calling
From end to end,
and along the touchline

There is one song that all the crowd knows and thats the fields.
How about we try and get them singing it just before the players come out. It'll fire up the lads while they're standing in the corridor.

Lyrics:

By a lonely prison wall I heard a young girl calling,
Michael, they are taking you away,
For you stole Trevelyn's corn,
So the young might see the morn,
Now a prison ship lies waiting in the bay.

CHORUS:
Low, lie the fields of Athenry,
Where once we watched the small free birds fly
Our love was on the wing,
We had dreams and songs to sing
It's so lonely round the fields of Athenry.

By a lonely prison wall I heard a young man calling,
Nothing matters Mary when you're free,
Against the Famine and the Crown,
I rebelled they cut me down,
Now you must raise our child with dignity.

REPEAT CHORUS

By a lonely harbour wall she watched the last star falling
As the prison ship sailed out against the sky
Sure she'll wait and hope and pray
For her love in Botany Bay,
It's so lonely round the fields of Athenry.

REPEAT CHORUS

liam88
27/01/2004, 4:02 PM
Fields NEVER lets down and it's our tune :D
Sums up Ireland and everybody knows the words-I'm with you all the way if I can make it to the match :D

Beavis
27/01/2004, 11:42 PM
Just a 2 things to clear up before I put in that Herald Ad by Monday next.

1. What pub are people meeting up in?Preferably near the south enterance,Paddy Cullen usually has a good pre-match buzzbut might be too packed for an assembly of sort.

2.Should we gather on the south say 45 mins before the game?to get a good spot at the back behind the goal,get ourselves sorted,kinda make our intentions known and so others coming in,hopefully after reading the impending Herald ad,can join us.Bring a few tinnies to keep us going until kick off.

So what songs/chants have we:We'll sing the full version of The Fields of Athenry,it's rarely sung past the first verse and chorus even though most peole know all the words(don't they?).[Sorry Liam I don't think most people would know your two].The ould Come on You Boys in Green,Brian Kerr's green and white army,The Wild Rover in some shape or form,good idea there Prof Frink but now that we probably will get a stadium how's about this slight modification:

They've been the wild rover
for many's a year
And they've spent all our money on bullsh!t and beer,
Now Rooney's resolving,
With a stadium for sure,
And we'll pay for their nonsense no more.(?)

We have to sing 'A team of Gary Breens'(we sang this all the way to the stadium in Basle :D )whenever he does well,great chant IMO and it can go on for ages.

Also 'Oh Kenny Kenny ,
Kenny Kenny Kenny Kenny Cunningham'

Particularly appropriate for the next match 'Keano it's just like watching Brazil,it's just like watching Brazil............'

'When Johnny goes marching down the wing O' Shea......'

'Clinton Morrison la,la,la,la,la,la Clinton Morrison la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,la,' [mmm.....probably have to know the tune there]

'Ian Harte Harte Harte,Ian Harte Harte Harte'

Thinks there's a few more but I'm tired of writing now.

tiktok
28/01/2004, 2:24 PM
"....all you need is Duff, lalalalala..." copyright the beatles

Bosco
28/01/2004, 8:21 PM
Duffers a brazilian
Hes worth at least a million lalalala etc.

Robbie Keane,Robbie Keane,Robbie Keane,Robbie Keane
If there will be an answer Robbie keane

The most important thing that needs to be done is that when the north terrace are singing something the south terrace are singing something like wise.Otherwise the two chants will clash and you'l basically just have alot of noise.This has happened alot in recent matches especially since the el section started.

Bosco
28/01/2004, 8:24 PM
Originally posted by Bosco
The most important thing that needs to be done is that when the north terrace are singing something the south terrace are singing something like wise.
Don't know what happened here.I meant to say when the south terrace are singing something the north join in and when the north are singing something the south join in

Bosco
28/01/2004, 8:27 PM
Originally posted by Bosco
Duffers a brazilian
Hes worth at least a million lalalala etc.

Don't know whats wrong with me today.That should prob be changed to

Hes worth a hundred million

ProfFrink
29/01/2004, 2:13 PM
About the ad.

1. Which pub? I don't know the area that well, but it would need to be somewhere that will fit us. Anyone have any ideas?

2. I'd say we should be in the grounds an hour before at the back behind the goal.

only1kilbane
30/01/2004, 9:59 AM
What about john o neills beside irishtown garda station ! Big enough pub and only two minutes walk to the south terrace !

Beavis
30/01/2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah I know it,that could be a good spot.
In relation to Lansdowne it's the right turn at Rumms Pub and down along Bath Avenue (cross the Dodder) then at the end of that,turn left and it's just down there.

Is that agreed then for anyone coming along,John O'Neills beforehand and down to the ground about an hour before kick off and a couple of tinnies there.

Beavis
01/02/2004, 10:48 PM
Here's the ad that I'll send to the Herald tommorrow:

South Terrace Vocal Irish
We are hoping to establish a vocal supporters group in the South Terrace at Lansdowne Road, to supply some much needed atmosphere during Senior Soccer Internationals. Beginning with Ireland versus Brazil on Febuary 18th,our aim is to improve the overall noise level at the ground for the up coming qualifying campaign by chanting and singing for the game’s entirety. For anyone interested in partaking for the Brazil game, we will be assembling an hour before KO directly behind the goal at the very back of the South Terrace. Preferably wear an Ireland jersey, bring your singing voice and all bodhrans, drums etc will be much welcomed. For further information, to make a suggestion/comment or to pledge your support contact us at VocalIrish@visiquiz.com, phone 0877907107,or see www.foot.ie/f67.htm

Fine?
I didn't mention the pub cos it hasn't been confirmed.Also does anyone know if I can put send this to the Herald over the net or do I have to ring them?

liam88
01/02/2004, 11:03 PM
I used to play in a Samba band and they are VERY loud-the Brazilians will have loads-ours had about between 6 and 20 throughout it's years and it could always defean ya!
We need LOT's of Bodhrans and LOT's of singing!

Beavis
05/02/2004, 1:28 PM
I sent in that ad but was dismayed to find when I got the paper it was nowhere to be seen but then someone from the Herald rings me asking to do an article on it with an interview and some pictures with me tomorrow!!I know it would be good publicity and all that (well maybe not with my ugly head as our representitive:D) but I think it would become to much of a big deal.
We only intended it to be a casual few doing some singing and shouting.I'm gonna have to say I appreciate the support but I'll have to decline.If they could just write up a small piece on it that would be grand.Unless one of yous wants to be the spokesman and get yer mug in the paper.

Beavis
05/02/2004, 4:13 PM
I talked to the Herald and they said there would be a small piece in next tuesdays CityLife.Nothing major,I just told her on the phone about what we were trying to do here.But they said they might want to do something in a few games time if we were successful in our attempts to liven up the south.That would get the FAI looking and then they might give us an allocation of tickets for the WC qualifying campaign.:eek:
Anyway hope yous are still up for it,I seem to be doing all the talking these days.It'll probably be just the 4 of us singing on our own (no different from most games then).

only1kilbane
05/02/2004, 4:17 PM
fair play to you !

everyone does give out about the lack of atmosphere at games its about time some got there finger out of there hole and did something !

you wont be alone once you get a few going everyone will join in !

the herald piece would be a great idea though !

Beavis
05/02/2004, 4:29 PM
Originally posted by only1kilbane
fair play to you !
Honestly not looking for cuotos here and it wasn't even my idea in the first place but I do feel strongly a good support can make a huge impact.

you wont be alone once you get a few going everyone will join in !

Afraid not.We sing there every game.The way the south is these days you get looked at like you've three heads for trying to start up a chant or song.After a while you just aren't bothered.

tiktok
05/02/2004, 8:15 PM
Beavis,

why not get back to the Herald and get them to record a interview with you and then send a photographer down to the bar/terrace when you're all together in your colours, ready made piece for them for the paper next day.

fair play for what you've done so far, i'll be in the north but we'll be keeping an eye out.

Did you think anymore about Hymnsheets?

Beavis
05/02/2004, 11:05 PM
If this thing does take hold we'll defintely get them down to the pub.
But just for the moment we're/I'm not sure if there'll be enough of us for any real noise.If we do become a permanent fixture they told me they'd be in contact in a few games time,and genuinely seemed quite interested in what we're trying to do.

Did all yous who said yous were coming along get your South Terrace tickets?I failed in getting through to ticketmaster this morning but thankfully was got hold of one tonight.

I'll have a look into some chants next week.I heard a really good Richy Dunne one once but I'll have to see if a mate can remember it.

ProfFrink
06/02/2004, 11:02 PM
Lads, I wasn't able to get tickets so loose your voice for me.

ProfFrink
06/02/2004, 11:16 PM
Anyone who goes to the south terrace for the three friendlies please hold on to your ticket stubs. They may come in handy if the FAI want proof that it was us who improved the atmosphere.

Also anyone going to the match if you can take some photos of our crowd in the pub and on the terrace etc I'll get them posted on a website.

Pogsly
07/02/2004, 9:41 PM
I know I don't contribute much on as far as posting suggestions go , but I was fully intending on giving the Vocal Irsih thing a go . No tickets unfortunately . Anyone got any ideas where to pick them u p .

Beavis
09/02/2004, 6:39 PM
No tickets?Lads try your best to get your hands on some for f*ck sake it's only me and a my few left now.Try the Buy and Sell on Wednesday.

ProfFrink you're the man behind it all and your not gonna be there?I presume your 20 other names won't be around neither.

I'd say we should pack it in but that ad's coming out in tomorrow's City Life (so I'm told) so if I get a good few people responding I'll get them down but otherwise we'll forget about it for the Brazil game at least.

Even if there are some interested it leaves me as the whole organiser which I don't wish to be,I was just enthusiastic but never wanted to be the frontman.This is just too much hassle.

only1kilbane
09/02/2004, 6:48 PM
prob just best to take it as it comes for the brazil game ! hopefully people will join in and get an atmosphere going but with it been a friendly and the fact a lot of first timers will be going it might not be the best game to start it at !

hopefully with the upcoming friendlies people will come together and start somethin off !

tiktok
09/02/2004, 9:11 PM
there are some tickets on ebay, but some of them are going for daft money

any chance of contacting the FAI, let them know what you're up to and see if they'd help out, refer them to here if you want. i know it's a (very) long shot, but you could give it a go (the interest in coverage from the herald could help, Fran loves a photo op.)

tiktok
09/02/2004, 9:35 PM
eg......ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2224399712&category=58740)

cheekily priced considering the tickets were three for 60yoyos, but beggars can't be choosers.

Schumi
10/02/2004, 12:47 PM
£60 for the Brazil game and £120 for the three are the priciest on there. I thought people'd be looking for (and getting) more than that.

tiktok
10/02/2004, 1:25 PM
13.23 now, about thirty minutes left on these auctions of you're interested (i'm not the seller by the way, just trying to help out):)

tic's on ebay (http://cgi6.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=damienburke&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=50)

Beavis
10/02/2004, 3:56 PM
Check out the Herald.
There's a fairly big article and it headlines at the start of the section.And they even stuck in a picture of the South Terrace buzzing,those were the days.
Just want to reiterate that I'm not trying or wanting to be the frontman as it definitely does comes across,I don't even know how they got me name!

only1kilbane
10/02/2004, 4:05 PM
they are always going to need a figurehead for it and you seem to be the one who is showing the most enthusiasm ! people will follow but as ever they need to be pushed !

with a bit of encouragement people will join in