PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Carr for right-back?

Barna Bee
15/05/2009, 3:54 PM
Still only 32 , has just secured a new deal with Birmingham (2 years) and has to be better then McShane. On his day Carr is class.

jbyrne
15/05/2009, 3:57 PM
Still only 32 , has just secured a new deal with Birmingham (2 years) and has to be better then McShane. On his day Carr is class.

his day was a long time ago. retired himself from international football. we need to move on from his type of self serving footballer

danonion
15/05/2009, 4:21 PM
He's our best option bar Finnan doing a Lazarus, but that's not saying a well lot.

Hibs4Ever
15/05/2009, 4:21 PM
The Birmingham fans reckon he's easily their best signing of the season along with Fahey. They can't praise him enough on their forums

John83
15/05/2009, 4:26 PM
There is a bit of a hole at right back, and he's not so old that it's unthinkable, but he was so consistently just adequate there for us for the last few years that I'd sooner see the lad at Wolves tried there before asking Carr to unretire himself. That said, if it stays a problem position, he might as well be tried.

Stuttgart88
15/05/2009, 4:39 PM
I dislike him intensely but I'd prefer him at RB to McShane, only as a short term fix.

I'd like to see Foley given first look in Finnan's repeated absence, or if St. Ledger looks good beside Dunne, maybe JOS; or even St. Ledger at RB if Dunne & JOS are kept together. I just have no confidence in McShane anywhere right now.

SwanVsDalton
15/05/2009, 4:50 PM
Prefer him to McShane but I think Carr's time is finished tbh. Give Foley a run, let Finnan get fit and we have two quality right backs, youthful and experienced. Bringing through another centre back (St Ledger?) will allow O'Shea to cover in emergencies.

livehead1
15/05/2009, 6:53 PM
I've never liked him but I have seen him 4 or 5 times for Birmingham and he has been outstanding. He is definately an excellent option if he can continue that form next season.

carloz
15/05/2009, 6:58 PM
He was a liability in his last few years for us. Yes he has been brilliant for Birmingham this year but he is not that answer whatsoever. His time has come and gone. Such a shame he missed out on the 2002 world cup

irishfan86
15/05/2009, 11:29 PM
He looked good in the games I saw for Birmingham.

If he's willing to play, I'd have him in the team ahead of McShane at fullback any day.

As others have said, Foley would be my first choice with Finnan out though.

Crosby87
16/05/2009, 12:11 AM
I think this is a good idea, short term to come in against the Bulgies, he would probably love to get out there again. Think Trap even knows who he is?

geysir
16/05/2009, 12:44 AM
I'm glad he is playing well. It was a long hard road for him to get his form back.
I don't like him, nor do I have any dislike for him, which I thought probably made me his most popular fan here.
But now we have the beginnings of a Stephen Carr appreciation thread.

irishfan86
16/05/2009, 1:35 AM
I think this is a good idea, short term to come in against the Bulgies, he would probably love to get out there again. Think Trap even knows who he is?

Even if he does, I doubt he could be any further than the squad/bench by the time of the Bulgaria match.

Rarely does a player enter the squad for the first time and walk into the team under Trap.

NeilMcD
16/05/2009, 1:51 AM
Jesus lads do any of you know anything about buidling a squad atmosphere. In the squad possibly in the team no chance.

tetsujin1979
16/05/2009, 12:38 PM
Rarely does a player enter the squad for the first time and walk into the team under Trap.keith andrews being the obvious exception

boovidge
16/05/2009, 5:47 PM
Up to Brady to tell Trap he's Irish. A few months ago I'd have thought this thread was a joke, but if he is playing well then we have to look at all options for RB.

Irish_Praha
16/05/2009, 8:09 PM
If he plays for Ireland again will he be the first ever Irish player to retire and come back 2 times?

Colbert Report
16/05/2009, 9:58 PM
He'll be the only Irish right back playing in a Premiership first team next season. If he'll play, he's a lock to start if Finnan's injury woes continue.

Wexford Delboy
16/05/2009, 10:34 PM
He'll be the only Irish right back playing in a Premiership first team next season. If he'll play, he's a lock to start if Finnan's injury woes continue.

Kevin Foley??:O:O

tetsujin1979
16/05/2009, 11:14 PM
He'll be the only Irish right back playing in a Premiership first team next season. If he'll play, he's a lock to start if Finnan's injury woes continue.stephen kelly is still contracted to birmingham, and foley has been promoted with wolves. Both john O'shea and Joey O'Brien can fill in there in a pinch as well, although i don't see that happening

Colbert Report
16/05/2009, 11:15 PM
My mistake, forgot about Kevin Foley. I haven't seen him play more than a handful of times so I don't know much about him.

as_i_say
18/05/2009, 10:01 AM
who does finnan play for again?-totally forgotten:eek:

harpstilidie
18/05/2009, 10:54 AM
who does finnan play for again?-totally forgotten:eek:

Espanyol in Spain. I'd give young Foley a chance too. Wasn't he voted player of the year by Wolves? I'd stick him into the squad for the Nigeria friendly.

geysir
18/05/2009, 12:30 PM
Seems only natural that Foley should step into the breech.
It would take all our rb options to get hit by a meteorite whilst on the training pitch before thinking seriously of recalling the retired Carr.

macdermesser
18/05/2009, 2:22 PM
mentioned this before, but saw him Jury's with Fahey before the Bulgaria home game. .. thought it was impressive that he was showing enough interest to following the team as a fan too. I would prefer Foley to be blooded in that position .. O'Shea would be first choice there if we had another decent centre half. Hmm.. I wonder could Carr play at CB?

irishfan86
18/05/2009, 8:28 PM
O'Shea would be first choice there if we had another decent centre half. Hmm.. I wonder could Carr play at CB?

Stan?

Noelys Guitar
24/10/2009, 3:33 PM
Has been excellent today for Birmingham. Looks as fit as I have ever seen him and has been up and down the pitch the whole game. Made one particular tackle early in the game that was class and stopped Richardson from scoring.

Colbert Report
24/10/2009, 3:50 PM
Yeah, I watched most of the Birmingham-Sunderland match myself. Carr looked very good. Very, very good.

SkStu
24/10/2009, 3:57 PM
watched the game too. He made one good tackle. He was good though. Not "very very good" really. Dont think he would add too much to the team nor do i think he is particularly bothered about playing for Ireland. He is "retired" after all :rolleyes:

Razors left peg
24/10/2009, 4:02 PM
watched the game too. He made one good tackle. He was good though. Not "very very good" really. Dont think he would add too much to the team nor do i think he is particularly bothered about playing for Ireland. He is "retired" after all :rolleyes:

he has retired for about the 3rd time now...

back of the net
26/10/2009, 2:42 PM
he has retired for about the 3rd time now...

he can stay retired....dont want him back

amaccann
26/10/2009, 3:12 PM
I dunno, the guy had a bad attitude, but if it was a choice between him & Paul McShane ... ...

twoenz
26/10/2009, 3:58 PM
mentioned this before, but saw him Jury's with Fahey before the Bulgaria home game. .. thought it was impressive that he was showing enough interest to following the team as a fan too. I would prefer Foley to be blooded in that position .. O'Shea would be first choice there if we had another decent centre half. Hmm.. I wonder could Carr play at CB?

He unretired himself the first time because he missed the craic on matchday (if I recall).

He's done very well to come from a retired player to captaining a Premier League team in less than a season. He was never captaincy material at Spurs or Newcastle.

It is a shame he missed the 2002 World Cup, and I'd like to have him back.

Murfinator
26/10/2009, 4:18 PM
If he's interested I think trap will offer him, Carsley, A.Reid etc a chance in friendlies and training prior to the World Cup to give them all a shout if we were to qualify. Otherwise no.

shakermaker1982
27/10/2009, 11:17 AM
I'd have him in the squad. Experienced and knows the RB position. Must be close to a call up?

Noelys Guitar
01/11/2009, 10:44 PM
I thought he was excellent again today. I know its pointless talking about someone who has retired 100 times but he is back to his best and wonder have the management team thought about asking him to reconsider (like Finnan).

seanfhear
03/11/2009, 9:22 AM
I thought he was excellent again today. I know its pointless talking about someone who has retired 100 times but he is back to his best and wonder have the management team thought about asking him to reconsider (like Finnan).
If he was back to his very best days at Spurs then he would be among the best full backs in the premiership.

Unfortunately injury prevented Stephen from producing what he was capable of for most of his career
he could have been one of Irelands all time greats and his career reminds me a lot of Dave Langans

irishfan86
03/11/2009, 9:24 AM
I agree that he's definitely not back to his best, but I'd probably still have him ahead of McShane in the right-back pecking order. Not gonna lose any sleep over it though.

seanfhear
03/11/2009, 1:10 PM
I agree that he's definitely not back to his best, but I'd probably still have him ahead of McShane in the right-back pecking order. Not gonna lose any sleep over it though.
To be honest McShane should only be an emergency fullback at the best of times and certainly at international level.
To be honest managers do nothing for his reputation by playing him outside his best position. That is centre back and I know there is varied opinion as to his effectiveness in this position but i do not think he has the pace for a fullback and his use of the ball is not up to that position either.

Junior
03/11/2009, 2:04 PM
Im not sure where all these postive memories are coming from for Carr.

He was ok as a fullback for Ireland but to be fair it was split hairs for me as to who was the biggest bombscare him or Harte. At least Harte had the dead ball bow to his arrow.

He played well on Sunday against City but is that a reason for looking to call him up? He retired from football completely not 6 months ago. He'll play for the rest of this season, maybe one more. He hasnt featured so far in this campaign for Ireland, he hasnt publicly stated any desire to play for the national setup again. We shouldnt be looking at Carr at all in my opinion.

tetsujin1979
03/11/2009, 2:44 PM
Carr peaked in the home 1-1 game VS Portugal in 2001, basically holding off the opposition with Keane in imperious form in central midfield.
Since then injuries have taken a toll on the former Premiership full back of the season. Along with Finnan, he's the only regular starter in that position this season (O'Shea has played there, at centre half) but with previous retirements may have blotted his copybook with the FAI, if not the current regime.
Finnan and Kiely only agreed to return after speaking to Trapattoni, but Carr had retired completely from the game at the time. His return with Birmingham was only supposed to be temporary, but here he is nine months later back playing in the Premiership and not playing badly either.
I'd imagine it would take a call from the management to see if he's interested in returning, and I doubt he would call them spontaneously to declare his availability.