PDA

View Full Version : Should this forum not be called

nifan
07/01/2004, 3:52 PM
National TeamS, seeing as how Ireland has two - the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland? ;)

tiktok
07/01/2004, 3:56 PM
There's already a Northern Ireland International Team forum....

Forums/Other Stuff/Rubbish

:D :D :D

nifan
08/01/2004, 12:40 PM
Sure there is no football team called Ireland :eek: - so it must be referring to both teams :p

SÓC
08/01/2004, 2:10 PM
Then again there is no Country called Ireland.

A National called Ireland/Éire

Two States called the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.

Éanna
08/01/2004, 6:12 PM
There is a country (Ireland) and people fromm all 32 counties of it can play for its national team. A section of that is occupied by Britain and has its own puppet representative team, which doesn't even have its own anthem

nifan
09/01/2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Éanna
There is a country (Ireland) and people fromm all 32 counties of it can play for its national team. A section of that is occupied by Britain and has its own puppet representative team, which doesn't even have its own anthem

I was only having a joke, but if you are going to be barbed about it - check the Fifa rules. Neither us or you are permitted to call our team Ireland. Whether you agree with it or not that is FIFAs ruling.

And what does puppet representative team mean.

Éanna
09/01/2004, 10:34 AM
Wasn't trying to be barbed, just calling it as I see it. And to be perfectly frank, its not FIFA's call to tell anyone what to call their country. Simple fact of the matter is the team FIFA call the Republic of Ireland DOES represent the whole of Ireland, because anyone born on this island can play for the team, thus the team is IRELAND. Simple enough really.

What I mean by puppet representative team is the team representing an artificial state which was set up to appease a minority section of the population of Ireland, which has no historical basis, no anthem and IMO no real basis for existing.

tiktok
09/01/2004, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by nifan
And what does puppet representative team mean.

before this gets too serious

Muppet representative team? (http://football.guardian.co.uk/Football/gallery/image/0,8556,-11604659561,00.html)

Éanna
09/01/2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
Muppet representative team? (http://football.guardian.co.uk/Football/gallery/image/0,8556,-11604659561,00.html) :)

nifan
09/01/2004, 10:57 AM
The muppets are brilliant.

As for Eanna, I hate to bleat on about the GFA, but it ratifies our existence. You may not like it but its there, there where many parts I didnt like about it.

Éanna
09/01/2004, 11:20 AM
You may not like it but its there
yup, not gonna argue with ya there.

Its not really a thing against the 6 county team, it goes for Scotland and Wales as well to some extent. I just think the idea of subdividing countries for football is crazy. They're either countries or they're not

nifan
09/01/2004, 11:40 AM
So you would prefer we were part of a UK team. I know I wouldnt. I am Northern Irish first and foremost.

Éanna
09/01/2004, 11:43 AM
So you would prefer we were part of a UK team. I know I wouldnt. I am Northern Irish first and foremost.
Its either Britain or its not.

Neil
09/01/2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
There's already a Northern Ireland International Team forum....

Forums/Other Stuff/Rubbish

They were beaten by Iceland there last month... their next game is against Tesco...

nifan
09/01/2004, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Neil

They were beaten by Iceland there last month... their next game is against Tesco...

Aye original, havent heard that before :o

Anyway - we beat Iceland the country 3-0 last time we played them:p

gspain
09/01/2004, 1:04 PM
Aye original, havent heard that before :o

Anyway - we beat Iceland the country 3-0 last time we played them:p

3 own goals was it. :D :D

frano
10/01/2004, 2:26 PM

Anyway - we beat Iceland the country 3-0 last time we played them:p [/B]

Nifan, do yourself a favour mate, don't go down the road of defending NI's goal scoring record.
Jaysus, you might aswell **** in your sunday hat as do that.

Sorry mate, I'm just tryin to save you from yourself:D

SÓC
12/01/2004, 8:55 AM
The fact that people born in the North can play for the Republic is a non-football thing. The Irish Government accepts these people as Irish hence they can get a passport and play for the Republic. If the NI Assembly Government( if they had one) could pass a law saying anyone from the south who wanted to could get Northern Irish nationality (if such a thing exists) then any player from here could play with them.

Its all a bit sad really. I was reading on some NI fans forum that more and more players from a Nationalist/Republician back ground are opting not to play for the North now, they wont have many more O'Neills, Armstrongs, Quinns etc. A small country is losing 45% of their potential players.

Duncan Gardner
12/01/2004, 9:04 AM
You seem to be confusing a few players from Northern Ireland declaring for the Republic's youth and U-21 teams, with the make-up of the full international side. Which has always included many from nationalist/ Catholic backgrounds. Messrs McVeigh, Mulryne, Johnson, Doherty etc. at present.

SÓC
12/01/2004, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
You seem to be confusing a few players from Northern Ireland declaring for the Republic's youth and U-21 teams

No thats the point Im making, in the recent past these lads would have played for the North but are now choosing to play for the Republic unlike the players you listed. Just seems to be a trend of late.

nifan
12/01/2004, 1:11 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
No thats the point Im making, in the recent past these lads would have played for the North but are now choosing to play for the Republic unlike the players you listed. Just seems to be a trend of late.

This has always occured actuallt. Some choose not to represent us, others choose to play for us. Chris Baird was asked to play for the republic by Kerr personally, but chose to play for us.

John83
12/01/2004, 1:25 PM
A small country is losing 45% of their potential players. Yeah, but an only slightly less small one is gaining 30% more players (not counting the English-based diaspora).

Éanna
13/01/2004, 11:33 AM
If people are born on this island they're entitled to play for Ireland. The government has made passports available to people in the 6 counties, because they are Irish! simple.

BannsideBoy
18/01/2004, 12:02 PM
If people are born on this island they're entitled to play for Ireland. The government has made passports available to people in the 6 counties, because they are Irish! simple.

everything seems to be simple for you;)

IrelandUnited
26/01/2004, 8:32 PM
Some NI lads declare for the ROI for the very reason some english lads do - they try to play with the best international team that will have them. ROI has been better than NI for ages so they go south just as Morrison, etc cross the sea because england won't have them.

As for 2 teams look everyone benefits. twice as many strapped clubs get european football. I personally wouldn't mind having 4 associations in the country.

eoinh
27/01/2004, 9:14 AM
Its either Britain or its not.

Actually Northern Ireland isnt part of Britain, its part of the United Kingdom. Britain is an island.

BannsideBoy
27/01/2004, 9:20 AM
Originally posted by davros

As there's more mixing of races this will be more of an'issue',but if they want to play & are entitled to....Why not?!

are you a facist now as well:confused:

nifan
29/01/2004, 11:56 AM
erm, what have the l/uvf got to do with this?

Andyh
31/01/2004, 2:22 PM
I think Davros and Lopez have a good knowledge of facism, as they seem to practice it on a daily basis on this forum, while everyone else on the forum is generally dead on.

lopez
31/01/2004, 8:43 PM
Originally posted by Andyh
I think Davros and Lopez have a good knowledge of facism, as they seem to practice it on a daily basis on this forum, while everyone else on the forum is generally dead on.
Yes I do have a good knowledge of 'facism' (sic.), but maybe you would like to explain how I practice it?

Duncan Gardner
01/02/2004, 8:39 AM
I think this is a little hard on Lopez and Davros.

There's little evidence in Lopez's fascination with nationality qualfication, or his occasional lapses into crude playground Spanish, of any real affinity with the corporate state, cult of personality leadership, or other standard features of the Third Reich.

While I doubt that Mussolini's motives for invading Abyssinia, Albania and Nice included the objective of making their mutant inhabitants feck off or integrate.

PS Fancy a beer in the Central Bar, Andy? I should be Carrick the w/e 19/22 February, and they had a good pint of Old Nollaig last time I was over :)

lopez
01/02/2004, 1:28 PM
Originally posted by Duncan Gardner
I think this is a little hard on Lopez and Davros.

There's little evidence in Lopez's fascination with nationality qualfication, or his occasional lapses into crude playground Spanish, of any real affinity with the corporate state, cult of personality leadership, or other standard features of the Third Reich.
DG, thanks for your once again unsolicited interference.:rolleyes: But could you let the wee lad answer for himself? He can't spell the word fascism. Let's see if he knows the first thing of what being a fascist entails, before I phone my solicitor.:D

Andyh
01/02/2004, 2:35 PM
'a policy of belligerent nationalism and racism'

I think that sums up Davros' thinking.

'suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship'

And i think that sums up Lopez' behaviour towards us poor Northern visitors to this site who can't say a word without being jumped upon.

Only joking of course lads. Sure you two wouldn't be the types to take anything seriosly would you????

I'm thinking DG if i've really upset Lopez and Davros i might need to make a few friends in the Central Bar.
:eek:

lopez
01/02/2004, 3:20 PM
Originally posted by Andyh
'suppression of the opposition through terror and censorship'

And i think that sums up Lopez' behaviour towards us poor Northern visitors to this site who can't say a word without being jumped upon.
Terror? I'm now a terrorist, so I am?:( Censorship? You have to look to our mutual fat friend for that one, or the Army Groupie and Research Boy, who took exception to me: 1. Ripping apart Dog Breath's post (not hard I know) 2. Pointing out that not all Ireland fans are thieves. 3. Suggesting that military regalia on a football website, especially one in NI, might be a bit alienating to a section of NI society.

Jumping on our Northern visitors? AG and RB gave as good as they got. In fact RB got in his first dig on ourweeminds. If he didn't call me a 'bigot' - perhaps I should have taken this as a compliment: like a Brazilian saying I was brilliant football player - I would have left him alone. If AG didn't come out with all that Barry White about reading the Irish Post then he too would not have got the 'treatment.' Anyway I've been sticking up for Army Groupie lately after his 'links' with Arkan were exposed. Photos of 'facists' were paraded from various sites but they all seemed to me like Rangers fans waving for the camera. I've yet to jump on Nifan or BB - perhaps because they haven't made any snide personal remarks about/to me - and I left Black Dog alone even though - oooooohh!!! - I could feel the hostility to the man who put his mad brother in his kennel pouring out of my monitor. DG and me have been sparring long before we jousted on this forum and he is more than up for it. And I've yet to jump on you (OK that bit about Martin O'N excepted, but it was just a question).

Listen young whippersnapper, you're lucky I've just had a w*nk and am in a fairly good mood...and I've a soft spot for Glentoran (well they play in green). Also that so far you have generally not come out with - offending post excepted - much cr*p. F*cking call me a 'facist' again and you'll definitely need to see your mates in the Central Bar. ;)

PS: Try using a spell-check!

nifan
02/02/2004, 12:49 PM
I still dont know what the l/uvf has to do with anything here?

lopez
02/02/2004, 11:19 PM
Sure they have some fascinating literature on fascism et al.Why not write & ask?
It pains me to question you in front of our new found northern friends, but Fascism with a small 'f' is not confined to the unionist community (one party state, armed militia, vertical society, government sanctioned extrajudicial executions). My good mate (best man at mutual weddings) was informed the previous weekend that his cousins' house in Feeny Co. Derry had an extrajudicial visit of their own from 'the boys'. Their 'crime'? Having a spate of a loud parties and smoking some Moroccan Old Holborn. Environmental Health Chucky Style entails having the front door shot to pieces.

I still dont know what the l/uvf has to do with anything here?
The subject of l/uvf was brought up after Bannerside boy suggested Dav was a fascist for saying: 'As there's more mixing of races this will be more of an 'issue'.' Now I may be the little boy in Hans Christian Andersen's 'The Emperor's New Clothes', but I think all he was doing was pointing out the bloody obvious. Perhaps you should ask BBboy what is 'fascist' about this statement, particularly coming from someone of 'mix race' himself?

nifan
03/02/2004, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by lopez
It pains me to question you in front of our new found northern friends, but Fascism with a small 'f' is not confined to the unionist community (one party state, armed militia, vertical society, government sanctioned extrajudicial executions). My good mate (best man at mutual weddings) was informed the previous weekend that his cousins' house in Feeny Co. Derry had an extrajudicial visit of their own from 'the boys'. Their 'crime'? Having a spate of a loud parties and smoking some Moroccan Old Holborn. Environmental Health Chucky Style entails having the front door shot to pieces.

Aye but it would be pointless of me to start referring to the IRA every time I was making a point to members of this board. Terrorists are pretty much sum whatever way you look at it, so I wish davros would give up on the "but the loyalists are worse" etc.

Dont recall the incident in feeny - was it recent? Whatever its typical of the terrorists who want to rule their way.

my left foot
03/02/2004, 11:45 AM
virgin post so apologies for any mispelt words.the original post was an enquiry about dual team/s.as far as i can remember i and all of my friends were solid behind norn irn in 82 as our lot were still being discriminated against by dodgy refs in sofia

lopez
03/02/2004, 1:00 PM
Dont recall the incident in feeny - was it recent? Whatever its typical of the terrorists who want to rule their way.

Re: Feeny. See ic.derry.com. Armed Gang Attacks House (http://icderry.icnetwork.co.uk/news/ireland/page.cfm?objectid=13850052&method=full&siteid=66002)

BT and BBCUlster carried the story but the BT article has gone into the archives (which you have to pay).

Also regarding the recent attacks on ethnic minorities in the North, this has been going on for at least six years in the Republic, so we shouldn't feel too smug about this either. And - surprise, surprise - while the SF leadership talks about a more tolerant attitude to immigrants, both North and South, the 'grass roots' have been found to be more anti-immigrant than either voters of FF or the Blueshirts.:confused:

lopez
03/02/2004, 11:15 PM
Aye,yer right....we need to address our own problems in this respect....just that I think even the'grassroots'haven't quite stooped to being in Lge.with 'mainstream'fascists like the JA fan club et al!
Do the people you quote have a political ideology? Mad Dog listened to Celine Dion and Goldie most of the time he was in the Kesh while Grugg hated all and sundry except Israel, :confused: because 'they are just like us fighting terrorism.' As for Skelly, well he'd be wearing a pink triangle on his pyjamas in Dachau if he lived in Third Reich.:rolleyes:

nifan
04/02/2004, 10:05 AM
Aye,yer right....we need to address our own problems in this respect....just that I think even the'grassroots'haven't quite stooped to being in Lge.with 'mainstream'fascists like the JA fan club et al!

As usual - "we arent as bad as ...." of course nost people arent as bad as JA, but dont think that many of the RA, INLA etc are any better. They are all scumbags and theres little to choose between them in my eyes.

I dont know any NI fans who support JA so throwing im in our face is like us throwing the racists in the republic in your face.

nifan
04/02/2004, 10:07 AM
Re: Feeny. See ic.derry.com. Armed Gang Attacks House (http://icderry.icnetwork.co.uk/news/ireland/page.cfm?objectid=13850052&method=full&siteid=66002)

Cheers, couldnt remember the incident, my ma is from feeny and my granny still lives there. I have plenty of relatives about the place too - Sean Martin Lockhart of Derry GAA fame is a 3rd cousin or something like that :eek:

lopez
04/02/2004, 11:17 AM
Cheers, couldnt remember the incident, my ma is from feeny and my granny still lives there. I have plenty of relatives about the place too - Sean Martin Lockhart of Derry GAA fame is a 3rd cousin or something like that :eek:
My mate's mother is from there and his parents (old man from Donegal) live there now. Met the poor lads' brother a couple of times at Ireland games in the late eighties.

I dont know any NI fans who support JA so throwing im in our face is like us throwing the racists in the republic in your face.
Doesn't he and his former budds support England? :D

nifan
04/02/2004, 11:31 AM
My mate's mother is from there and his parents (old man from Donegal) live there now. Met the poor lads' brother a couple of times at Ireland games in the late eighties.

Doesn't he and his former budds support England? :D

My granny could very well know them, its not while big, though the estate down the bottom expanded in the last 10 years.

Aye, plenty of the scumbags support England. Must be insecure in their nationality. Personally I reserve the right to be british but not english.They seem to think English is the most British so we will follow them.

That muppet from the PUP Huthinson was on tv talking about the "national team" once. He was of course referring to England:confused:

SÓC
04/02/2004, 12:31 PM

while the SF leadership talks about a more tolerant attitude to immigrants, both North and South, the 'grass roots' have been found to be more anti-immigrant than either voters of FF or the Blueshirts.:confused:

Once the mist clears SF will be a a fair deal of trouble with their lefty policies. SF are pro-choice when it comes to abortion but I'd bet a vast majority of their voters are not. Same Re: Immigration Policy and Taxation.

lopez
04/02/2004, 12:58 PM
Aye, plenty of the scumbags support England. Must be insecure in their nationality. Personally I reserve the right to be british but not english.They seem to think English is the most British so we will follow them.

That muppet from the PUP Huthinson was on tv talking about the "national team" once. He was of course referring to England
'Football for All' might just be working.;) Can understand that sort of thing in Scotland with the Tartan Army so nationalistic but the WP team is hardly a hotbed for NI independence (let alone Irish nationalism).

I'll pm the name of the family. You never know who reads this.:D

Once the mist clears SF will be a a fair deal of trouble with their lefty policies. SF are pro-choice when it comes to abortion but I'd bet a vast majority of their voters are not. Same Re: Immigration Policy and Taxation.
Pro-choice is one thing, although I think abortion is still banned in NI except for exceptional circumstances. Saw that 'Texan Virgins' last week (put it back in, it wasn't what you think) and there was this Bob Jones graduate, running around preaching abstinence and this 'silver ring thing' (basically it's there to remind you to keep your cherry until you marry) and he's up to meeting some Senator: 'He's a great guy. Close to being nominated for the Republican candidate for president. Anti-'pro-choice', six kids :eek:, and a Catholic!' :confused: I felt like reaching for my ancestors' kippah and visiting Rabbi Murphy.

Anyway, SF soft on immigration? From a party called 'we, ourselves'? Somewhat ironic?

nifan
04/02/2004, 3:49 PM

God knows who people will vote for when you have to vote on ACTUAL politics.

SÓC
04/02/2004, 3:55 PM

Saw that 'Texan Virgins' last week (put it back in, it wasn't what you think) and there was this Bob Jones graduate, running around preaching abstinence and this 'silver ring thing' (basically it's there to remind you to keep your cherry until you marry) and he's up to meeting some Senator: 'He's a great guy. Close to being nominated for the Republican candidate for president. Anti-'pro-choice', six kids :eek:, and a Catholic!' :confused: I felt like reaching for my ancestors' kippah and visiting Rabbi Murphy.

Watch this space on this btw. If Bush gets a second term expect Roe .v. Wade to be over turned and abortion to become illegal in the States.