PDA

View Full Version : Euro 2012 - Calling Germany?

DaveyCakes
13/05/2009, 2:03 PM
http://www.uefa.com/uefa/keytopics/kind=64/newsid=829457.html

Warsaw, Gdansk, Wroclaw, and Poznan chosen as Polish host cities.

Kiev confirmed for group games, quarter- and semi-final, but NOT final

Donetsk, Lvov, and Kharkov given November 30 deadline to resolve "important shortcomings" with stadia, transport, and accomodation.

Odessa and Dnipopetrovsk out.

Hmmm....

Closed Account 2
13/05/2009, 3:36 PM
I don't think Germany would be a contender, even though it's a border to Poland and it has all the infrastructure I think UEFA would be reluctant to hold half of 2012 there due to it only being 6 years since the world cup was held there.

I can see them increasing the number of Polish cities and then just holding the matches in Donyetsk and Kyiv. Another option could be Russia. Moscow has 2 world class stadiums (Lokomotiv and Luzhniki, and will have CSKA stadium by then too, additionally Petrovskii Dva (new stadium in St. Petersburg) will be built by then and both cities have enough hotels and transport to cope. All that would need to happen would be a relaxation of the visa process, which happened 2008 anyway! (Russia and Belarus have a customs union so access to one permits access to the other - effectivly meaning Poland and Russia share a border for tourists. I could see Czech Republic (Prague) or even Denmark being used as both have not had a tournament in living memory.