PDA

View Full Version : European Parliament Elections 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

pete
11/05/2009, 5:41 PM
Full Candidate List confirmed (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0511/breaking51.htm).

Incumbents *.

Dublin 3 seats, down from 4.
Byrne Eibhlin (FF)
De Burca Deirdre (GP)
De Rossa Proinsias (Lab) *
Higgins Joe (SP)
McDonald Mary Lou (SF) *
McKenna Patricia (Ind)
Mitchell Gay (FG) *
Ryan Eoin (FF) *
Simons Caroline (Lib)
Sweeney Emmanuel (Ind)

East 3 seats.
Aylward Liam (FF) *
Byrne Thomas (FF)
Childers Nessa (Lab)
Funchion Kathleen (SF)
Garvey Paddy (IND)
Grealy Micheál E (Ind)
McGuinness Mairéad (FG) *
O'Malley Raymond (Lib)
Phelan John Paul (FG)
Sharkey Tomás (SF)
Tallon Jim (Ind)

North West 3 seats
Gallagher Pat "The Cope" (FF)
Ganley Declan (Lib)
Harkin Marian (Ind) *
Higgins Jim (FG) *
Higgins John Francis (Ind)
King Thomas (Ind)
MacLochlainn Padraig (SF)
McCullagh Noel (Ind)
McNamara Michael (Ind)
Mooney Paschal (FF)
O'Keeffe Susan (Lab)
O Luain Fiachra (Ind)
O'Reilly Joe (FG)

South
Boyle Dan (GP)
Burke Colm (FG) (held Simon Coveneys seat since he resigned in 2007)
Crowley Brian (FF) *
Ferris Toireasa (SF)
Kelly Alan (Lab)
Kelly Sean (FG)
O'Keeffe Ned (FF)
Sexton Maurice (Ind)
Sinnott Kathy (Ind) *
Stafford Alexander (Ind)

Northern Ireland 3 seats.
Agnew Steven (GP)
Allister Jim (TUV) *
De Brún Bairbre (SF) *
Dodds Dianne (DUP)
Maginness Alban (SDLP)
Nicholson Jim (UUP) *
Parsley Ian (Alliance)

Battery Rover
14/05/2009, 8:13 PM
Plenty of info on sitting MEPs from Ireland including speeches and attendance records etc

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/members/public/geoSearch/zoneList.do;jsessionid=1619C7280C389056D5A28676450 0681A.node1?country=IE&language=EN

irishultra
15/05/2009, 3:12 AM
I'm sort of blindly voting in these European elections, I mean what exactly are they about? Probably as I heard on the radio during the week European Union transperancy isn't really relevant to many people in these economic times.

I'll be going for Labour who are alligned with PES.

Dodge
15/05/2009, 9:07 AM
Attendance records for the MEPs

Dublin
Mitchell - 88%
De Rossa - 83%
Ryan - 83%
McDonald - 56%

East
Aylward - 91%
Doyle - 87%
McGuinness - 87%

North West
Harkin - 87%
Higgins - 86%
O Neachtain - 94%

South
Burke - 85%
Crowley - 94%
Sinnott - 93%

Pretty good records by everyone but Mary Lou McDonald in fairness

The Good Son
15/05/2009, 9:32 AM
Attendance records for the MEPs

Dublin
Mitchell - 88%
De Rossa - 83%
Ryan - 83%
McDonald - 56%

East
Aylward - 91%
Doyle - 87%
McGuinness - 87%

North West
Harkin - 87%
Higgins - 86%
O Neachtain - 94%

South
Burke - 85%
Crowley - 94%
Sinnott - 93%

Pretty good records by everyone but Mary Lou McDonald in fairness
Does attendance mean just signing in, I wonder? If you sign in, like Sinnott,
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mep-sinnott-attacks-abusive-tv-quizzing-in-expenses-probe-1425236.html
and leg it straight back out on to the next flight home, are you still recorded as being in attendance.
If this is the case then Mary Lou is either the stupidest or most honest of the lot.

holidaysong
15/05/2009, 9:40 AM
With Dublin down to 3 seats, it's hard to see McDonald holding on to her seat anyway. If people actually used the EP elections to vote on European issues, the anti-Lisbon transfers might see her through but that's not very likely as EP elections are always just used as opinion polls on the government of the day.

Dodge
15/05/2009, 9:41 AM
Does attendance mean just signing in, I wonder? If you sign in, like Sinnott,
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/mep-sinnott-attacks-abusive-tv-quizzing-in-expenses-probe-1425236.html
and leg it straight back out on to the next flight home, are you still recorded as being in attendance.
If this is the case then Mary Lou is either the stupidest or most honest of the lot.

Click battery Rover's link above and you can read all you like about their attendance, what committees they're on etc etc

holidaysong
15/05/2009, 9:58 AM
By the way, it should be pointed out that McDonald was on maternity leave for some of that time. This would explain part of that low attendance and it isn't factored into those figures which Dodge put up.

Edit: SF claim that when maternity leave is taken into account that her actual attendance record is 73%..

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/stateoftheunion/

dahamsta
15/05/2009, 10:02 AM
The wife told me that yesterday, plus she wouldn't have been able to travel before she gave birth. Crazy that wasn't included in that dataset.

pete
15/05/2009, 10:21 AM
If people really care about the Lisbon Treaty it shoudl really see a large vote for Libertas.

First flyer in the door this week for Caroline Simmons (http://www.libertas.eu/ireland/candidates/carolinesimons) who is running in Dublin. The most noticable thing about she was having a pop at all the toher candidates for various things but told me nothing about herself. Had to google her to find bio on her web site. No chance I will vote for Libertas but I have seen her on TV & she comes across very poorly. I don't like Ganley but he is sharp on TV.

Dodge
15/05/2009, 10:24 AM
By the way, it should be pointed out that McDonald was on maternity leave for some of that time. This would explain part of that low attendance and it isn't factored into those figures which Dodge put up.

Edit: SF claim that when maternity leave is taken into account that her actual attendance record is 73%..

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/stateoftheunion/

Fair points. I didn't know anything about her pregnancy and took the figures at face value

Bald Student
15/05/2009, 2:11 PM
The professor who put the statistics together was on the radio the other day and accepted he had made a mistake and apologised to Mary Lou.

Dodge
15/05/2009, 3:02 PM
The professor who put the statistics together was on the radio the other day and accepted he had made a mistake and apologised to Mary Lou.

The statistics on the Euro parliament site?

Bald Student
15/05/2009, 3:13 PM
The statistics on the Euro parliament site?No, he was some British professor who put together a website to do with the European Parliament.

pete
15/05/2009, 10:47 PM
Irish Times (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0515/breaking78.htm)

Fianna Fáil is set to hold at least three of its four seats in the European Parliament, despite the slump in the party vote, but Libertas founder, Declan Ganley, is unlikely to be elected, according to the latest Irish Times /TNS mrbi poll.

Percentages from IT.

North West
Jim Higgins (FG) 20%
Pat “The Cope” Gallagher (FF) 19%
Marian Harkin (Ind) 18%
Padraig MacLochlainn (SF) 10%
Declan Ganely (Lib) 9%

Dublin
Gay Mitchell of (FG) 26%
Proinsias De Rossa (Lab) 21%
Mary Lou McDonald (SF) 14%
Eoin Ryan (FF) 11%
Patricia McKenna (Ind) 8%
Joe Higgins (Soc) 7%
Deirdre De Burca (Green) 6%
Eibhlin Byrne (FF) 5%
Caroline Simons (Lib)1%

FF 1st preference vote down 1/3 from 23% in 2004. FG up from 21%. Labour had 2 candidates with same percentage. SF also on same number. McKenna had 9% as official Green candidate - would they get seat if vote not split?

sligoman
16/05/2009, 1:15 PM
First flyer in the door this week for Caroline Simmons (http://www.libertas.eu/ireland/candidates/carolinesimons) who is running in Dublin. The most noticable thing about she was having a pop at all the toher candidates for various things but told me nothing about herself.Ganley's one is the same. Must be a Libertas thing.

holidaysong
16/05/2009, 2:33 PM
EU citizens would have to apply for a 'blue card' to allow them to work in other EU countries for a maximum of 2 years. Someone from Newry wanting to work in Dundalk would also have to apply for this (although Simons doesn't initially seem to realise that Newry and Dundalk aren't in the same member state).. :rolleyes:

Listen here (http://www.radioireland.ie/lastword/1552009-17.wmv) - From 8 minutes, 40 seconds in.

OneRedArmy
16/05/2009, 4:49 PM
EU citizens would have to apply for a 'blue card' to allow them to work in other EU countries for a maximum of 2 years. Someone from Newry wanting to work in Dundalk would also have to apply for this (although Simons doesn't initially seem to realise that Newry and Dundalk aren't in the same member state).. :rolleyes:

Listen here (http://www.radioireland.ie/lastword/1552009-17.wmv) - From 8 minutes, 40 seconds in.As I said in the other thread, this puts Libertas' assertion that they are pro-European in true context.

Free movement of labour is probably the core tenet of the EU.

Blatant populism and opportunism given the economic situation.

pete
17/05/2009, 2:59 PM

It seems Libertas are following a similar policy as the Lisbon Treaty. There is no cohesion to their policies & they will jump on any populist campign to win a few votes. During the Lisbon Treaty I could never figure out why they were against due to the miriad of stances on the issues.

OneRedArmy
17/05/2009, 6:58 PM
The only coherent link in their rag tag assortment of candidates across Europe appears to be disaffection with the EU. When you look into it in a bit more detail, some of the candidates are disaffected by the same issue from polar opposite views. Unless they can get get beyond general disaffection and negativity into developing real policies they will die out, regardless of how many votes they get in this election.

pete
19/05/2009, 6:21 PM
Does anyone know where on the net I can check whether or not I'm on the register to vote?

REGISTER OF ELECTORS (http://www.checktheregister.ie/)

A surprisingly efficient service.

Battery Rover
19/05/2009, 6:21 PM
Does anyone know where on the net I can check whether or not I'm on the register to vote?

http://www.registertovote.ie/index.php?view=where-to-register-to-vote

bennocelt
25/05/2009, 5:59 PM
just home, so just seeing that westmeath is now all of a sudden part of the northwest - WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

thats a complete joke, sure we are nearer to Dublin than to the rednecks up in Donegal.

Anyway all are voting for Libertas in my family household, Ganley is the only man who talks sense

holidaysong
25/05/2009, 6:43 PM
Anyway all are voting for Libertas in my family household, Ganley is the only man who talks sense

Be sure to apply for a work permit when you want to head back to London then.

bennocelt
26/05/2009, 12:57 AM
Be sure to apply for a work permit when you want to head back to London then.

because ff, fg, lab, and the rest are great:rolleyes:
oh i love been irish

mypost
26/05/2009, 3:34 AM

He makes a change from the tired other candidates, who aren't going to represent their constituents, but will merely follow the party leader's line.

Macy
26/05/2009, 8:51 AM
because ff, fg, lab, and the rest are great:rolleyes:
oh i love been irish
All he did was state Libertas policy. Work permits for EU members who want to work in other countries, and no benefits even if they've been paying their social insurance. I suppose you could strike, if it wasn't also Libertas policy to encourage strike breaking. That's before you get on to the ultra right wing catholic fundamentalist candidates like Simmons. But sure at least they're not FF/FG/ Labour :rolleyes:

superfrank
26/05/2009, 9:03 AM
Unfortunately, I saw a Libertas poster the other day and I think they could be rather effective in getting votes. It basically said: "Tired of that shower? - Vote Libertas".

I'm a bit wary of voting for Nessa Childers. All her leaflets drone on and on about her dad, nothing much about her in it and I always complain about dynasty politicians.

pete
26/05/2009, 11:09 AM
Libertas explain Blue Card System (http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/libertas-views-misrepresented-1746381.html)

First thing we must do is recognise a problem and then think how to deal with it calmly and as fairly to all as possible. Libertas will introduce a blue card system to prevent abuse of the Irish welfare system, but which will not interfere with EU freedom to travel or intergovernmental agreements such as that facilitating travel between Britain and Ireland.

Since May 2004 , half a million immigrants from new EU accession states have come to work in Ireland.

According to the CSO figures, 90pc of new jobs in 2007 went to non-Irish nationals.

The latest welfare figures show 29,000 PPS number have been given to non-Irish nationals in Ireland since the start of 2009.

Yet in the last year, over 100,000 people in Leinster alone have lost their jobs.

What to do? Taking these facts into consideration, Libertas will look at a number of options to control disruption of the labour market, to protect all workers, stop job displacement (a la Irish Ferries) and prevent a race to the bottom in regard to conditions.

First thing Libertas shall do is oppose the accession of Turkey to the EU.

The free movement of 80 million poverty-stricken Turkish citizens into the EU would cause huge damage to Irish workers, and to the CAP payments for farmers.

Turkey also has a very poor human rights record -- but Turkish accession is fully supported by FF, FG and Labour.

A vote for Libertas is a thumbs up for friendship, free-travel and free-trade throughout the EU.

So Libertas support free trade & travle in the EU but they want to restrict the rights of workers across the EU.So we will restrict working rights of Eastern European (basically poor Europeans) but have a different set of rules for Irish going to the UK.

:rolleyes:

osarusan
26/05/2009, 11:13 AM
The free movement of 80 million poverty-stricken Turkish citizens into the EU would cause huge damage to Irish workers, and to the CAP payments for farmers.....

A vote for Libertas is a thumbs up for friendship, free-travel and free-trade throughout the EU.....
....And poverty for those outside it.

pete
26/05/2009, 11:26 AM
I almost missed the acertain that everyone in Turkey lives in poverty. We need a sensible debate on Turkey not a pathetic effort like that.

Once again Libertas showing their true colours by choosing another scaremongering policy.

Lionel Ritchie
26/05/2009, 12:07 PM
I almost missed the acertain that everyone in Turkey lives in poverty. We need a sensible debate on Turkey not a pathetic effort like that.

Once again Libertas showing their true colours by choosing another scaremongering policy.

Absolutely. Libertas even managed to find an extra nine or ten million Turks for that stat. Nothing about Turkey having one of the fastest growing economies of the noughties anywhere either.

I personally have some grave reservations about Turkey becoming a full member of the EU. But as Pete says ...that's for a sensible debate and one where people try and stick to the facts.

Macy
26/05/2009, 1:08 PM
but they want to restrict the rights of workers across the EU.
Not just on movement, but on individual workers rights within the country too. People would want to face up to who he is, and what views he really represents before voting for him and his band just because they're "different".

I'm a bit wary of voting for Nessa Childers. All her leaflets drone on and on about her dad, nothing much about her in it and I always complain about dynasty politicians.
It's a bit different though, as she isn't trying to get her old mans seat on a sympathy vote. imo the leaflets are an appeal to the FF floaters that can't bring themselves to vote FG. Time will tell whether that'll be effective.

OneRedArmy
26/05/2009, 1:23 PM
Political nepotism, another one of this country's most embarrassing traits.

It basically says to the voter "I know you're too thick to understand policies or ideologies, or basically politics in general, but sure me da/uncle/brother was a grand fella and ye voted for him and I'm related to him, so how could ye not vote for me too?".

Yet another example of knuckledragging tribalism.

pete
26/05/2009, 1:40 PM
Political nepotism, another one of this country's most embarrassing traits.

Slightly off topic but could only laugh when heard 70 year old Maurice Ahern (FF Dublin Central by election candidate) is running on his younger brothers (Bertie) legacy. :eek:

Macy
26/05/2009, 1:41 PM
If people didn't vote for them on that basis that campaigning wouldn't be effective. Unfortunately it largely does work.

John83
26/05/2009, 2:01 PM
If people didn't vote for them on that basis that campaigning wouldn't be effective. Unfortunately it largely does work.
"To summarize the summary of the summary: people are a problem."

holidaysong
26/05/2009, 2:12 PM
A very good debate with the Dublin candidates on Today with Pat Kenny is now available on RTÉ Player.

http://www.rte.ie/news/elections/player.html?hi2550295,2550295,real,209

eamo1
26/05/2009, 4:10 PM
Will be voting for Ganley.
Harkin was in Terryland a few weeks ago at the Galway Utd St.Pats game.She was told in no uncertain terms by 2 random guys to sit down when she went around the main stand handing out flyers DURING THE MATCH,was funny.Didnt think they were allowed canvas inside LOI grounds.A good few candidates were around the Volvo Ocean Race Village on Sunday and Monday,there was more of their flyers on the ground then in ppls hands though.
My point being that theres alot of apathy to these elections and id say turnout wont be higher then 30-40%.

irishultra
26/05/2009, 6:09 PM
if libertas are voted in does that mean irish will no longer have free movement within EU. how about if I leave this ****ty country beforehand, would it still apply?

mypost
26/05/2009, 6:16 PM
if libertas are voted in does that mean irish will no longer have free movement within EU. how about if I leave this ****ty country beforehand, would it still apply?

There's nothing in their explanation in Post #31, that suggests we won't have free movement within the EU.

Macy
27/05/2009, 7:43 AM
Obviously, if Libertas implement their immigration views there'll be no comeback on Ireland. :rolleyes:

IMMIGRATION ROW: LIBERTAS HAS been accused of being “fascist” and of playing the “immigration card” with its plans to impose a two-year limit on migration into Ireland from other European states and a ban on immigrants claiming benefits here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0516/1224246700677.html

Raymond O'Malley is talking about closing the borders. Even if people agree with the right wing sentiment, and don't mind being in the company of such well respected people as fascist white nationalists in the UK (judging what google throws up and their approval for the comments), do they honestly think we can go it alone and there won't be similar conditions put on us?

In Poland, their candidates are from the League of Polish Families, who are essentially Catholic Fundamentalist, and other candidates there include outspoken holocaust deniers. In Italy they're aligned to fascists.

graham_d
27/05/2009, 9:34 AM
In Poland, their candidates are from the League of Polish Families, who are essentially Catholic Fundamentalist, and other candidates there include outspoken holocaust deniers. In Italy they're aligned to fascists.

Was considering voting for them here in Germany, except that they f*cked up their registration procedure so can't take part, and now they've gone and declared support for a right-wing Catholic "Family" party (non-fascist, but anti- lots of stuff like gay rights). That's that then. From the sound of their (Libertas) forums a lot of their erstwhile German supporters have turned away from them too.

bennocelt
27/05/2009, 11:21 AM
Obviously, if Libertas implement their immigration views there'll be no comeback on Ireland. :rolleyes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0516/1224246700677.html

Raymond O'Malley is talking about closing the borders. Even if people agree with the right wing sentiment, and don't mind being in the company of such well respected people as fascist white nationalists in the UK (judging what google throws up and their approval for the comments), do they honestly think we can go it alone and there won't be similar conditions put on us?

Yeah maybe, but still better than FF and FG - dont you think!:p

pete
27/05/2009, 12:11 PM
Yeah maybe, but still better than FF and FG - dont you think!:p

No.

Even looking this Blue Card suggestion in a selfish manner if this was to be implemented on EU wide basis it would mean unemployed Irish people in say the UK having to come back to Ireland. As I don't see Ireland economy picking up as quickly as others it is likely that emigration will be necessary.

Libertas claim to be pro EU but a polucy like that shows they are opposed to the very core of the EU which is freedom of movement & right to employment in different countries.

mypost
27/05/2009, 1:32 PM
People can't emigrate, because there are no jobs in the UK, like there are no jobs here. The recession isn't just restricted to Ireland, you know.

Libertas are opposed to Turkish membership of the EU, and from reading their website, you can see why.

Dodge
27/05/2009, 1:38 PM
People can't emigrate, because there are no jobs in the UK, like there are no jobs here. The recession isn't just restricted to Ireland, you know
There are 1,000s of Jobs all over europe. Some people can't find work. Other people are being headhunted to lead multinational corporations

Under Libertas, Irish people wouldn't be allowed take up these jobs in Europe.

Not everybody who emigrates does so because they have to.

Oh and on Turkey, ther figures are way, way out.

I'd be against Turkey joining myelf, but not on economic grounds

mypost
27/05/2009, 2:03 PM
The EU has 500 million citizens. A few thousand jobs available, is nowhere near the level needed to reduce the level of unemployment throughout the Union significantly, or stimulate economies.

A lot of jobs that are available are high level jobs, that only a select number of people can apply for, and who are usually already in employment anyway.

Dodge
27/05/2009, 2:04 PM
The EU has 500 million citizens. A few thousand jobs available, is nowhere near the level needed to reduce the level of unemployment throughout the Union significantly, or stimulate economies.

Go on then, tell me how Libertas will help this

eamo1
27/05/2009, 2:22 PM
Wheres proof that their candidates "in Italy are aligned to Fascists"???If your gonna say you read that in the Irish TImes too then im just gonna laugh.The Irish Times is NEVER trying to smear Libertas at all:rolleyes::rolleyes: