PDA

View Full Version : nissan sponsors

derm
07/01/2004, 8:27 AM
I for one am glad that Nissan are de our new sponsors. Despite de money part, de logo is not as ostentatious (whew) as some and looks well on de shirt. De Guinness logo looks dated IMHO.Plus I doubt that they'll do an ad that celebrates de joys of armchair football as Guinness have done ...

jofyisgod
07/01/2004, 5:19 PM
Originally posted by derm
[BPlus I doubt that they'll do an ad that celebrates de joys of armchair football as Guinness have done ... [/B]

True...

It looks good in my opinion, remember minimalism is in. Simple is good.:D
Hopefully they'll give the club a bit more press and support than Guinness did too.

tiktok
07/01/2004, 7:45 PM
Originally posted by jofyisgod
Hopefully they'll give the club a bit more press and support than Guinness did too.

I'm getting more argumentative in my old age:rolleyes:

Guinness were IMO great supporters of Cork City, don't forget that until this season we've never had anybody else's name on the shirt, and the money City received from Guinness helped us through troubled times (that aren't that long ago).

As for the Guinness name and logo being dated, c'mon, it's one of the world's most recognisable brands, probably only second to Budweiser when it comes to alcohol.

While the Nissan deal is great, i'm glad that Guinness are maintaining links.

Counting Crow
07/01/2004, 9:41 PM
Hey ...... it's better than "Des Kelly's Carpets" IMO.

........"Anyouse wanna boye a karrrpa' " ................. :D

OR..........

......"Woddie's DIY".........now there's a classy sponsorship!

At least we have an Internationally known sponsor who is actually paying us some "folding" money........not some castaway rugs or cheap screwdrivers :p

Gary
07/01/2004, 10:02 PM
Great sponsorship deal. Better than some panel beaters, or some carpet gaff, or some silly chemical plant.

Only thing i dislike is the way nissan is printed on the shirt. As mentioned in another thread it looks cheap, and will start to peel rather soon.

I just wonder will the derrynane or the St Annes become the "NISSAN STAND"?

derm
08/01/2004, 7:23 AM
Originally posted by tiktok
Guinness were IMO great supporters of Cork City, don't forget that until this season we've never had anybody else's name on the shirt, and the money City received from Guinness helped us through troubled times (that aren't that long ago).

I'm not knocking that but that's what a sponsor's money does. As other big teams are showing, de troubled times are never far away and nissan's money will help see us thru what would be dodgy times.

As for the Guinness name and logo being dated, c'mon, it's one of the world's most recognisable brands, probably only second to Budweiser when it comes to alcohol.

I don't like it so there! To be honest it's more of a stylistic thing, I prefer de look of nissan on de shirt. Personal taste. And as people have pointed out things could have been horrible so I'm relieved as well.

Hear hear. Guinness did bring a lot of special moments to de cross like jazz bands and de fighting inflatable pints :D Glad they're still aboard but enjoying de breath of fresh air too.

pete
08/01/2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Counting Crow
At least we have an Internationally known sponsor who is actually paying us some "folding" money........

I'd say its more likely its the irish Nissan distributors who paying the sponsorship monies...as opposed to the japanese Nissan.

liamon
08/01/2004, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by pete
I'd say its more likely its the irish Nissan distributors who paying the sponsorship monies...as opposed to the japanese Nissan.

Doesn't matter which branch pays out, it's still an internatoinally recognised company.

patsh
08/01/2004, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by pete
As a matter of no particular interest, Renault own Nissan now and continue to use the name as one of their brands...;)

max power
08/01/2004, 12:48 PM
is anybody down there actually buy a nissan because of the money they put into the club ????

Neil
08/01/2004, 12:52 PM
Is there another European club with Nissan as their sponsor?
I was thinking Basle but they're Toyota...
Did Fiorentina used to?

patsh
08/01/2004, 1:13 PM
Originally posted by max power
is anybody down there actually buy a nissan because of the money they put into the club ????
Bought two last week.......:)

Fiorentina used to have Toyota as sponsors.

max power
08/01/2004, 1:14 PM
bought two last week, yeah not surprised, cheap things. don't think much of nissan as a car maker at all.

dcnags
08/01/2004, 4:24 PM
don't think much of nissan as a car maker at all.

Who cares?They're one hell of a rich sponsor for us:D

We're in d money.(Oh great i've jinxed us);)

max power
08/01/2004, 4:27 PM
on offence, all that money and that was the best jersey you could come up with ???

Éanna
08/01/2004, 5:52 PM
Originally posted by tiktok

spot on there. they were excellent to city down the years, and its great to see them continuing in some capacity

patsh
08/01/2004, 6:24 PM
on offence, all that money and that was the best jersey you could come up with ???
O'Neills were the people who came up with the jersey. It's quite a decent jersey and colour scheme, can't see why ye are all moaning about it.
Especially someone from a club who copied the worst club colours in Ireland !;)

liamon
09/01/2004, 9:35 AM

No one buys a car because of a sponsorship deal with their favourite team. Would you buy an opel coz it's on the Irish jersey? Doesn't matter if it's a Nissan, Ford or Toyota deal.

The manufacturers seems to see a value in sponsoring football teams. I don't have a marketing degree and so I don't pretend to understand this stuff. I guess they look for increased market awareness or something. Anyway, they seem to see a value in this sort of thing across Europe.

max power
09/01/2004, 9:39 AM
i would support a company that supported my club

liamon
09/01/2004, 10:05 AM
i would support a company that supported my club

By buying a €20,000 car? You must be loaded. I wouldn't let something like club sponsorship influnce my decision on something as big as that.

Bit different if it's something cheaper - like cola.

tiktok
09/01/2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by liamon
Bit different if it's something cheaper - like cola.

or chippers;)

max power
09/01/2004, 10:39 AM
well take Cork gaa, i know a lot of people from Cork who have their phone with O2 because they support the county, what will nissan really get from this deal, some good pr, a little tv coverage ( very little with tv3 involved ) and will they get bill boards at the ground ???

i'm just wondering if the money companies spent on sponsership really comes back to them or is it dead money,

does des helly really sell that many extra carpets or is it because they have a base in phibsboro

or autoglass or flancare or whoever ????

and liamon no i'm not buying a car for 20,000. i'm buying one for 30,000 and it would be a nissan !!!

liamon
09/01/2004, 10:47 AM
Srry Max power, I don't think you'll get an answer on this page to that question. You'd have to ask Nissan/Opel/Toyota what benefits they see in sponsoring football teams.

tiktok
09/01/2004, 10:53 AM
well take Cork gaa, i know a lot of people from Cork who have their phone with O2 because they support the county

it was down to the sponsorship deal, but i think you'll find a lot of cork people hav O2 phones because the stores gave away the GAA jersey free with purchases of a new phone as opposed to brand loyalty.

max power
09/01/2004, 10:57 AM
didn't know about the give away, good marketing ploy, they'll make back that outlay in no time, with operating profits of 109 million last year it should not be a problem.

patsh
09/01/2004, 1:43 PM
Well I did not get a free jersey, but I choose O2 becuase of their sponsorship of the Cork teams. Plus, Eircell had 087 at the time, and they sponsored the thugs from Clare.
Even if I had the money, I wouldn't buy a Nissan!

pete
12/01/2004, 9:03 AM
Nissan will just get grater brand awareness locally & around the country.

I'm not gonna buy a Micra just cos they sponsor city.

SÓC
12/01/2004, 10:50 AM
Nissan are getting value for their money, dont you worry Max. As a massive company with a huge marketing department they worked out what the deal would cost them and see if they would get a return, they decided they would get a return on their investment.
Think about it, they already got loads of free ads from the press conference, to buy ads that would create that much publicity alone would cost loads. Think of all the jerseys that now has their brand on it. Look at us now we're talking about Nissan. They've succeded.

max power
12/01/2004, 10:52 AM
but next season and the season after that they won't have the press coverage to push the product, free press on the first day is great but what about the rest of the contract, that is what i'm getting at.

SÓC
12/01/2004, 11:02 AM
but next season and the season after that they won't have the press coverage to push the product, free press on the first day is great but what about the rest of the contract, that is what i'm getting at.

True but what Im saying is that alone was a huge bonus to Nissan.

Walk around Cork tomorrow and you'll see as more City jerseys than any other almost at this stage. Thats 5000 walking nissan billboards, that'll be on the jersey for 3 years at least. Then factor in TV and othe media coverage, their name on all Cork City Press releases etc.

I dont have a degree in Marketing, or know very much about it even. Nissan have thousands of people employed for them who do. They know well what they are doing.

max power
12/01/2004, 11:15 AM
but look at other sponsers, 02 pulled out of the Dorgs deal ( wouldn't blame them), rovers have a bad name and no home so what do woodies get, shels have no supporters to ware the jersies, des kelly is gettin a deal from bohs i feel, local company cheap product available to all etc, carolls sell dublin city jersies so they get a cut of each sale and its good pr for the company, flancare get a lot of press coverage with the naming of the ground in news bullteins etc, autoglass?? a lot of jersies and a cheap product and pats always give them a good plug at home games, waterford, bauasch & lomb, took a while to find out what they do and its eye care ??? are they a local employer ??? if so good pr if not they advertising ain't doing much. derry smithwicks, beer/sport always a link there as any cork fan will know from the guiness days.

so take what you will from above, some positive/some negative/ some ???

GavinZac
12/01/2004, 1:35 PM
i like syntax.

Macy
12/01/2004, 1:42 PM
Max Power getting a top of the range Micra cos they sponsor Cork? :confused:

max power
12/01/2004, 1:43 PM
i think even a small car like that would be beyond the means of most city supporters, mayde an 89 micra ????