PDA

View Full Version : CL Final

Pages : [1] 2 3

Emmet7
11/05/2009, 10:36 AM
I think this deserves a thread all by itself.

Should be a good game.

Abidal a big loss for Barca. Henry might be missed as an impact sub. Pique is playing brillantly but against Man Utd, who knows. I don't think Danial Alves is that big a loss, they might do better without him.

I think Utd will be too strong for them in the end.

Barca just about scraped one goal in 180 minutes playing Chelsea and didn't score in 180 minutes against Utd last year.

They will probably struggle to score against Utd I think, while Ronaldo is bound to get a couple of free kicks in good positions.

Advantage Utd imo.

cheifo
11/05/2009, 11:06 AM
Looks like Iniesta will be out for Barca after picking up an injury at the weekend.

Dammit.:(

osarusan
11/05/2009, 11:10 AM
I think the attacking players on both sidea are tremendous. But for me the question is which attack is more likely to break down which defence, and I think Man United are more likely to score (or likely to score more) than Barcelona.

jmurphyc
11/05/2009, 12:22 PM
If United play defensively - which I doubt - it'll be difficult for Barcelona to score. However, if they play a more expanisve game I could really see it going either way. If Henry is out then he'll be a massive loss for Barcelona. He'd certainly be more than an impact sub.

jmurphyc
11/05/2009, 12:33 PM
Now it looks as though Iniesta may be out. Unless Henry and him come back things are starting to look bleak for Barcelona.

gustavo
11/05/2009, 12:38 PM
I think this deserves a thread all by itself.

Should be a good game.

Abidal a big loss for Barca. Henry might be missed as an impact sub. Pique is playing brillantly but against Man Utd, who knows. I don't think Danial Alves is that big a loss, they might do better without him.

Why would Henry have been on the bench if fit ?

Mr Maroon
11/05/2009, 5:46 PM
Iniesta should be fit

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11945_5313132,00.html

Emmet7
11/05/2009, 7:41 PM
Why would Henry have been on the bench if fit ?

Because he won't be fit and will lack match practise. You cannot come back from an injury and play your first game back in the CL final against Man Utd. Even if he is free of injury I doubt Guardiola will start him.

He may be good for 30 minutes at the end of the game or as a plan B if plan A doesn't work.

But I doubt he will start.

sligoman
11/05/2009, 7:48 PM
Definitely the two best European teams this season playing each other in this one so should be a good game. It'll be 1 goal that will decide it, Barca to win.

lionelhutz
13/05/2009, 1:07 PM
Because he won't be fit and will lack match practise. You cannot come back from an injury and play your first game back in the CL final against Man Utd. Even if he is free of injury I doubt Guardiola will start him.

He may be good for 30 minutes at the end of the game or as a plan B if plan A doesn't work.

But I doubt he will start.

If Henry is "free of injury" I'd say he will start. It's not like he hasn't played in months - it's only a few weeks out.

Denis The Red
16/05/2009, 11:32 PM
United won the league today, Real lost to Villareal tonight so Barca are champs also, I'm salivating here at the prospect of the final between these two. I hope it'll be the occasion we expect and the tournament deserves.

old git
17/05/2009, 12:59 PM
United won the league today, Real lost to Villareal tonight so Barca are champs also, I'm salivating here at the prospect of the final between these two. I hope it'll be the occasion we expect and the tournament deserves.

plenty of attacking players on both teams and both like to play a passing game so has to be a 0-0 and won on a penalty shoot out :D:D

De Town
17/05/2009, 1:20 PM
Everyone expected an attacking encounter last year in the semi's and it never happened. I can see the same thing happening here. Barca with plenty of the ball, United soaking up the pressure and looking to hit them on the break.

DmanDmythDledge
17/05/2009, 1:44 PM
Everyone expected an attacking encounter last year in the semi's and it never happened. I can see the same thing happening here. Barca with plenty of the ball, United soaking up the pressure and looking to hit them on the break.
Yeah. I think the team that started against Arsenal in the second leg will be the team for the final, with Scholes coming in for Fletcher. Ronaldo will be definitely be upfront, with Rooney on the wing.

De Town
17/05/2009, 2:32 PM
Yeah. I think the team that started against Arsenal in the second leg will be the team for the final, with Scholes coming in for Fletcher. Ronaldo will be definitely be upfront, with Rooney on the wing.

I think Giggs will get the nod over Scholes tbh. But apart from that it'll be the same team as Arsenal away alright.

pete
17/05/2009, 4:11 PM
Will Manchester United play 3 attacking players like in the semi final or will they go back to just Rooney & Ronaldo in attack?

I think Barca missed Henry badly in the semi final as Iniesta is mucn in midfield alongside Xavi than when used on the left side of the attacking three.

DmanDmythDledge
17/05/2009, 4:22 PM
Will Manchester United play 3 attacking players like in the semi final or will they go back to just Rooney & Ronaldo in attack?

I think Barca missed Henry badly in the semi final as Iniesta is mucn in midfield alongside Xavi than when used on the left side of the attacking three.
Yeah, Barca's biggest loss from not having Henry is losing Iniesta from the middle.

I think it will be the two attacking players that you've named for Man Utd but maybe things will be different if no Iniesta in the middle.

volley
19/05/2009, 9:54 PM
What are the odds of Barca winning 5-0?
I can see it happening.
It's about time somebody steam-rollled Man U in Europe.

Realistically though, I don't think Man U can defend as well as Chelsea did (for most of the 2 semi-legs) and thus I believe Barca are more likely to score. However, Man U are more of a threat themselves on the counter than Chelsea, so they can bang a few in themselves against what is a shaky Barca defence.

Fascinating isn't it. But I have to say, Barca aren't THAT bad at the back. It amuses me fellas like Dunphy slating the likes of Puyol saying he can't play at this level. Well I would refer Mr.Dunphy to Puyol's trophy cabinet thanks very much (for club and country).

I think Barca will score early and ultimately win by 2 clear golas.

And for the record, John O'Shea is better than you think. He gets harsh criticism in this country. Ask him to show you his trophy cabinet!

lionelhutz
21/05/2009, 1:32 PM
Ya and Djimi Traore is an excellent left back since he has a champions league winners medal

gaiscíoch
21/05/2009, 3:16 PM
Barcelona are shocking at the back only a fool would think otherwise.

gustavo
21/05/2009, 3:28 PM

The mighty Manchester United and Chelsea could only score 1 goal against them over 180 minutes each and they've conceded the least goals in La Liga :confused:

gaiscíoch
21/05/2009, 3:47 PM
The mighty Manchester United and Chelsea could only score 1 goal against them over 180 minutes each and they've conceded the least goals in La Liga :confused:

Valdes is crap, Alves is crap, Puyol is crap, Pique is handy as long as the ball doesn't come in the air, Abidal is handy enough still not great.

No team in La Liga could afford to attack Barcelona because they risk conceding 5 or six Barcelona are that good attacking wise.

I think there is only one team in the world could outscore them and that is Man Utd because they are very good at the back and good going forward they have more balance in my opinion.

gustavo
21/05/2009, 4:13 PM
Valdes is crap, Alves is crap, Puyol is crap, Pique is handy as long as the ball doesn't come in the air, Abidal is handy enough still not great.

No team in La Liga could afford to attack Barcelona because they risk conceding 5 or six Barcelona are that good attacking wise.

I think there is only one team in the world could outscore them and that is Man Utd because they are very good at the back and good going forward they have more balance in my opinion.

If these players are crap , Why have they been playing in one of the best teams in Europe for the last decade :confused:Surely them being woeful would have been found out , It's not like Barcelona are short a few quid to replace them . I suppose Spain's defence is rubbish too and them with Puyol at the heart of it.

gaiscíoch
21/05/2009, 7:16 PM
If these players are crap , Why have they been playing in one of the best teams in Europe for the last decade :confused:Surely them being woeful would have been found out , It's not like Barcelona are short a few quid to replace them . I suppose Spain's defence is rubbish too and them with Puyol at the heart of it.

I'll put it like this if you were to pick your best keepers in the world, would Valdes be one?
Buffon, Casillas, Van Der Sar, Given, Cech, Reina, Diego Lopez, Doni, Julio Cesar, Enke, Boruc and many many more. Do you get my point?

Puyol has at least one mistake in him a game. You seem to know a bit about football surely you cna see that?
Spain defence is not/was not rubbish as a whole they are excellent but you were to pick a weak link Puyol them Ramos are two you could target.
Even Puyol wouldn't make top 20 defenders list IMO.

To answer your other question Barcelona have been really good to Puyol and Valdes obvious home pride matters alot to them.
I don't know why they don't replace them. They would domonate world football if they could replace them.

gustavo
22/05/2009, 8:30 AM
I'll put it like this if you were to pick your best keepers in the world, would Valdes be one?
Buffon, Casillas, Van Der Sar, Given, Cech, Reina, Diego Lopez, Doni, Julio Cesar, Enke, Boruc and many many more. Do you get my point?

Puyol has at least one mistake in him a game. You seem to know a bit about football surely you cna see that?
Spain defence is not/was not rubbish as a whole they are excellent but you were to pick a weak link Puyol them Ramos are two you could target.
Even Puyol wouldn't make top 20 defenders list IMO.

To answer your other question Barcelona have been really good to Puyol and Valdes obvious home pride matters alot to them.
I don't know why they don't replace them. They would domonate world football if they could replace them.

If home pride were that important they wouldn't have sold Oleguer the most radically patriotic Catalan at the club at the time. Puyol does the ugly things well imo.I'd have Valdes ahead of at least some of those players in that list .Still I applaud Barcelona and Spain for winning all those trophies for players you describe as "useless":D

gaiscíoch
22/05/2009, 10:45 AM
If home pride were that important they wouldn't have sold Oleguer the most radically patriotic Catalan at the club at the time. Puyol does the ugly things well imo.I'd have Valdes ahead of at least some of those players in that list .Still I applaud Barcelona and Spain for winning all those trophies for players you describe as "useless":D

There has been alot of talk of Valdes being replaced so we will wait and see....
Valdes is not in the Spain squad is he?

Puyol has been dropped on numerous occassions this season. When Marques and Pique were both fit. ie First leg against Chelsea.

He won't be in the Spain team too much longer.

DeLorean
22/05/2009, 2:02 PM

Alves is crap, Puyol is crap

Strange how one back four with two weak links can be excellent and another can be shocking, and only a fool would think otherwise!!

I don't think Barca's defenders are really that bad but are generally left fairly exposed by their midfield, whereas Spain are a much tighter unit. I don't think Valdes is amongst the top keepers in the world but I don't think he's nearly as bad as you are making out either.

Dodge
22/05/2009, 2:33 PM

Every team needs role players. Players who aren't world class but can do a job and bring qualities that some of the star players don't have. Man U have O'Shea, Park, Fletcher who wouldn't get within an asses roar of being great but they make Utd tick. Barcelona have Puyol, Valdes and others.

Real madrid proved that the Galacticos model didn't work

old git
22/05/2009, 3:30 PM

alves / abidal both missing due to suspensions so 2 less crap defenders to wory about ... would you class john o shea world class and evra has been very shaky for utd last couple of games

if and a big if utd can contain barcelona attacking force they may sneak a win :D

old git
22/05/2009, 10:02 PM

and the same mighty barcelona who only scored 1 goal against utd & very late goal against chelsea :D

De Town
22/05/2009, 10:11 PM
and the same mighty barcelona who only scored 1 goal against utd & very late goal against chelsea :D

United won 1-0 on aggregate last year! ;)

volley
23/05/2009, 11:12 AM
Ya and Djimi Traore is an excellent left back since he has a champions league winners medal

:confused:
The fact is, yes he does, and he played a massive part in the success in 2005.

You might highlight some of his poor challenges and lapses in concentration in certain league games and that terrible o.g. in the FA Cup, but when Liverpool were getting the best out of him he did quite well actually.

I refer to the 2 legs of 1/4 final against Juve and the 2 legs of 1/2 final v Chelsea. In those 4 games Liverpool conceded just one goal, with Traore at left-back at all times. This is a much better defensive record than Liverpool have had at that stage of the competition since. He was an integral part of that unit and at that level there is no hiding and no room for weak links. I dont care how good Carrahger & Hyppia were, you can't survive unless Troare is doing his job too. While he was at fault for the free-kick in the first minute in Istanbul from which Maldini scored, I recall a very decisive goal-line clearance that Traore produced late on as well. Worth a goal you might say.

You can't win European Cups with weak links in your team. You might have players who are carried a bit fair enough, but you must have a certain level of quality. O'Shea is decent enough to be considered a key part of Man U's defensive unit. Are you saying Fergie does not know what he is doing?

Clearly Traore's performances that season 2005 were better than people care to admit, but admittedly he has gone seriously downhill since. It happens. Get facts right before you slate players thanks! :D

hunt4the
27/05/2009, 9:33 AM
Very tough to call this year? I do think barca last year and barca this year are two very different teams despite being made up of largely the same group of players so last years semi result is largely irrelevant.

I think if Ferguson bullheadly went into this playing utd's style of football and ignored barcelona's as he did in the milan semi the year before last they'd be bet off the park, but i think he learned massively from that night and results since have proven it.

In summary :) were all hoping otherwise but it's gonna be a sh£$e final, utd are gonna sit back frustrate barca and get one in the last ten on the counter game over without so much as breaking a sweat.... yawn!!!

cheifo
27/05/2009, 10:55 AM
Wonder how much bluffing there is over injuries?
Will Ferdinand, Henry and Iniesta all play? I doubt it.

This could be the deciding factor.
Evera will find Messi tough going but you have to fancy Man U to get some joy going forward.

Hope this is a good one.I want to be thrilled and then see Barca lift it.:)

brianw82
27/05/2009, 11:01 AM
Really looking forward to the game. I think Utd will have too much for Barca and will win it in normal time.

shakermaker1982
27/05/2009, 11:23 AM
I think Fergie will opt for this:

VDS

O'Shea-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra

Anderson-Carrick-Giggs

Park-Ronaldo-Rooney

He might go for Scholes over Giggs but other than that I'd say there is a good chance that is the team he'd opt for. I'd rather see Tevez from the start but he'd be a good impact sub if needed. Carrick (like Lampard) might be out of his depth though tonight when Xavi and Iniesta start hogging the ball to themselves hence the need for somebody like Scholes to keep the ball. Fingers crossed it's a brilliant game of football and one worthy of a Champions League Final.

NeilMcD
27/05/2009, 11:32 AM
Said it from a while back Man Utd to win.

oscar
27/05/2009, 11:36 AM
i think Utd will win it also,i love watching Barca and have a soft spot for them but Utd are a better team overall

gustavo
27/05/2009, 12:03 PM
Very very tight but I think the absense of Abidal and Alves coupled with the other 2 long term injuries at the back will tip the balance in Man Uniteds favour slightly

NeilMcD
27/05/2009, 1:31 PM
Name the 5 players who have played for both clubs.

KK77
27/05/2009, 1:38 PM
Name the 5 players who have played for both clubs.

Mark Hughes
Pique
Jordi Cruyff
Henrik Larsson
Lauarent Blanc

NeilMcD
27/05/2009, 1:42 PM
YOu been reading the BBC website then.

DeLorean
27/05/2009, 1:43 PM
Good question. I cheated and looked up the answer so I won't give any away for whoever wants to go about it the right way. All very getable on reflection though.

eamo1
27/05/2009, 1:44 PM
Someone said Barca didnt score against Utd last year,true.The reason they didnt score is because Man Utd parked the bus at the Camp Nou in the first leg and after they scored in the second leg they double parked the bus inside their own area.This is a one off game and so i think Man Utd will be less inclined to do it tonight and so Barca should have more freedom.I am a Barca fan,they'd be my second fave team behind Galway Utd and im pretty confident they will win.

lionelhutz
27/05/2009, 3:41 PM
Barca to win 2-1 in normal time with Xavi and Iniesta to teach Carrick and Andersen a lesson in midfield play

old git
27/05/2009, 3:49 PM
Someone said Barca didnt score against Utd last year,true.The reason they didnt score is because Man Utd parked the bus at the Camp Nou in the first leg and after they scored in the second leg they double parked the bus inside their own area.This is a one off game and so i think Man Utd will be less inclined to do it tonight and so Barca should have more freedom.I am a Barca fan,they'd be my second fave team behind Galway Utd and im pretty confident they will win.

jesus galway must have some team if barcelona only your second fav team :D

old git
27/05/2009, 3:55 PM
Barca to win 2-1 in normal time with Xavi and Iniesta to teach Carrick and Andersen a lesson in midfield play

think anderson will be more intrested in trying to stop xavi & iniesta playing lovely football :D going forward both teams have an amount of goalscoring talent so hopefully we get a good game a lot could depend on messi v evra / vidic/ferdinand v eto clash and ronaldo may also run riot against barcelona backline ... would agree on your 2-1 prediction but not sure to who yet :ball: could be a great game if somebody scores an early goal

eirebhoy
27/05/2009, 7:35 PM
Jesus I love watching Iniesta. He seems to pass the ball before it even gets to him it's that quick. :D

Umberside
27/05/2009, 7:42 PM
Time to bring on Tevez I think.

Ciprian Marica
27/05/2009, 7:42 PM
Bloody camera is a mile away!