PDA

View Full Version : Moral high ground

osgood was good
11/05/2009, 12:02 AM
In the aftermath of what went on at Stamford Bridge i find it amusing listening to certain fans comments regarding Death threats and Mr Drogba. Lets tackle the death threats allegedly thrown by Chelsea fans . Wrong yes, assuning it was by Chelsea fans , anybody can throw comments onto the internet in any form under any disguise . Someone posting something on an internet forum means it will happen? in that case im going to shag the arse of jeniffer aniston

If we want to talk about death threats in football, then lets go through recent history before targeting Chelsea and certain fans from certain clubs have short memories.

Gerrard transfer and Liverpool fans reaction....

Gerard Houllier, the Liverpool manager, has received an anonymous threatening letter demanding that he leaves the area or "suffers the consequences".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/2374132/P...o-Houllier.html

"Michael Owen, Liverpool's England striker, revealed yesterday that he had received the same kind of death threats as delivered last month to his manager at Anfield, Gerard Houllier."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...th-threats.html

"Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard decided to stay at Anfield because of threats to his family, it was reported on Tuesday.

The Daily Mail claims the abuse directed at Gerard reached vitriolic levels in local newspapers and on websites and his family received threatening phone calls and letters."

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/...1549825,00.html

"Neill said he received death threats from Liverpool fans after breaking Carragher's leg. He was sent off, and Gérard Houllier branded him a "coward".

Gerard Houllier, the Liverpool manager, has received an anonymous threatening letter demanding that he leaves the area or "suffers the consequences".

"Michael Owen, Liverpool's England striker, revealed yesterday that he had received the same kind of death threats as delivered last month to his manager at Anfield, Gerard Houllier."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...th-threats.html

"Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard decided to stay at Anfield because of threats to his family, it was reported on Tuesday.

The Daily Mail claims the abuse directed at Gerard reached vitriolic levels in local newspapers and on websites and his family received threatening phone calls and letters."

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Soccer/...1549825,00.html

"Neill said he received death threats from Liverpool fans after breaking Carragher's leg. He was sent off, and Gérard Houllier branded him a "coward".

Liverpool fans have a f***ing cheek throwing **** at any club considering they were responsible for getting English clubs banned from European football for 5 years , then refuse to take part of the blame for Hilsborough. This clubs fans have been responsible for the deaths of Italian fans and their own fans so dont take the moran high ground when other fans get bad press coverage.

Drogba let himself down on Wednesday , out of order but he didnt kung fu kick a fan [Cantona] , throw racist abuse at an opposition player [ take your pick], assault a customer in a bar [Gerrard], Wayne Rooney effing and effing and blinding didnt get the same coverage , Roy Keane assaulting Harrland , Tony Adams arrested for drink driving ,
Stan Collymore beating the **** out of his girlfriend, John Aldridge 94 W.C. verbally abusing and swearing at the linesman [ lost count of the use of the words F**k, wa**er] clearly heard by the entire world.

Rovers fan
11/05/2009, 1:23 AM
Drogba let himself down on Wednesday , out of order but he didnt kung fu kick a fan [Cantona] , throw racist abuse at an opposition player [ take your pick], assault a customer in a bar [Gerrard], Wayne Rooney effing and effing and blinding didnt get the same coverage , Roy Keane assaulting Harrland , Tony Adams arrested for drink driving ,
Stan Collymore beating the **** out of his girlfriend, John Aldridge 94 W.C. verbally abusing and swearing at the linesman [ lost count of the use of the words F**k, wa**er] clearly heard by the entire world.

Ya but drogba is still a bigger **** than the lot of them put together.

osgood was good
11/05/2009, 2:11 AM
Excellent reply mate, you really put your case together with a lot of great points and im terrified you may reply again. You know so much about the game i reakon you should become a journalist.

Rovers fan , well thats a laugh .

Roadend
11/05/2009, 8:23 AM
why have you singled out Liverpool fans when every supporter who does not follow Chelsea has been indulging in taking pot shots at them, and rightfully so:confused:

Lionel Ritchie
11/05/2009, 8:23 AM
.... John Aldridge 94 W.C. verbally abusing and swearing at the linesman [ lost count of the use of the words F**k, wa**er] clearly heard by the entire world.

I'm afraid you'll have to take that up with whoever gives instruction in deportment, eloqution, toastmastery or speech and drama at Prenton Park as Aldo had been a Tranmere Rovers players for quite some time by then. ;)

osarusan
11/05/2009, 8:59 AM
I don't really see what the point is of coming on to an Irish website to complain about English (and almost exclusively Liverpool) fans.

Have fans of other clubs done stuff they should be ashamed of? Absolutely. Have players of other clubs done stuff they should be ashamed of? Absolutely. Does this mean fans in general cannot criticize Chelsea players and supporters for some pretty ignorant actions / comments / threats in the aftermath of the CL semi-final? Absolutely not, of course they can comment.

Bottom line is that what happened after the final whistle was wrong, and deserves (indeed needs, for the good of the game) to be criticized and even condemned. I for one don't put rules on who can and can't criticize based on what people who were fans of the same club have done in the past.

In a few instances the reaction to a particular player / analyst may be "Like you can f***ing talk!", but whether they can be accused of hypocrisy or not doesn't mean their comments on the Chelsea game can't also be correct.

pól-dcfc
11/05/2009, 10:24 AM
Excellent reply mate, you really put your case together with a lot of great points and im terrified you may reply again. You know so much about the game i reakon you should become a journalist.

Rovers fan , well thats a laugh .

As, presumably, an Irish person, why do you care? I can understand you following a team across the water, but what difference does it make who has the moral high ground between 2 clubs which you probably rarely ever go and see?

Sheridan
11/05/2009, 10:37 AM
Take it to boards.ie, no-one gives a toss.

superfrank
11/05/2009, 1:24 PM
Lads, rules one and two of this sub-forum (http://foot.ie/forums/showpost.php?p=338545&postcount=1):

The purpose of this forum is to discuss football outwidth domestic football on this island and the national team. Any off topic threads will be moved.

This forum operates under freedom of choice. No one need justify their choice in following or supporting a foreign league or team and should not be ridiculed or attacked over it.

So don't reply to the thread if you're going to post stuff like Sheridan, pól-dcfc and the beginning of osarusan's post.

pól-dcfc
11/05/2009, 5:07 PM
This forum operates under freedom of choice. No one need justify their choice in following or supporting a foreign league or team and should not be ridiculed or attacked over it.

I can understand you following a team across the water, but what difference does it make who has the moral high ground between 2 clubs which you probably rarely ever go and see?

Perfectly in the spirit of the forum.

tetsujin1979
11/05/2009, 7:53 PM
Good post in general, but you could have done with a bit more variety of players and the club involved.

John Aldridge 94 W.C. verbally abusing and swearing at the linesman [ lost count of the use of the words F**k, wa**er] clearly heard by the entire world.He wasn't a linesman, think he was just some official at the game, not the 4th official either.

geysir
11/05/2009, 9:50 PM
Tets, I think d*ickhead is the job description you were looking for.

osarusan
11/05/2009, 9:57 PM
So don't reply to the thread if you're going to post stuff like Sheridan, pól-dcfc and the beginning of osarusan's post.
I don't think I broke either of those two rules. I didn't criticise or ridicule him for following a foreign team, or ask him to justify it.

All I said was that I didn't see the point of him coming on to post that post. I don't see what he is trying to achieve, or who he is trying to convince, and of what. His point seems to be that we shouldn't criticise Chelsea because of football history, but my point is that we can. The reason I mentioned him coming on to an Irish website is that he can't even know which, if any, English team we follow, and so his examples will be irrelevant to a large number of posters here.

stojkovic
11/05/2009, 10:39 PM
I remember Chelsea Chairman Ken Bates wanting to put electrified fencing around Stamford Bridge :rolleyes:

superfrank
12/05/2009, 11:22 AM
pól and osarusan, you were asking him why is he coming onto an Irish website to talk about this whole topic. This is the world football forum, he's posted his topic in the relevant forum. It doesn't matter if the website is Irish or not, it's in the right sub-forum which allows discussion about world football.

As, presumably, an Irish person, why do you care? I can understand you following a team across the water, but what difference does it make who has the moral high ground between 2 clubs which you probably rarely ever go and see?

I don't really see what the point is of coming on to an Irish website to complain about English (and almost exclusively Liverpool) fans.
Just because they are two English teams doesn't mean he hasn't been subjected to ridicule or whatever from Irish Liverpool fans about the whole incident. There are thousands of fans of both sides and other English teams in this country and there is banter between them all.

There are some Irish people who care about the rivalry between English teams, as strange as that may seem to the rest of us.