PDA

View Full Version : Leeds, Leeds, Leeds!

Lionel Ritchie
09/05/2009, 10:10 AM
So where are foot.ies' contingent of Whites supporters watching the L1 PO semi today?

I can only assure Limerick Whites that there IS a place that will be showing Leeds rather than two Scottish whales flopping around in their wee teardrop.

I speak of course of Mickey Martins off Thomas St.

Not long now. C'mon the Leeds!

MOT

Red&White Rover
09/05/2009, 5:35 PM
Great stuff in the first hour then collapse.

When Beckford doesn't score he looks atrocious and he missed our two best chnaces today.

I'm going over on Thursday ( Can't wait:)), but reckon it's gonna 1-1 or 0-0...

Lionel Ritchie
09/05/2009, 11:09 PM
Not at all R&WR. Millwall are lousy travellers. I'm pretty confident we'll do it on thursday ...despite being very poor in the second half today. I wouldn't put too much blame on Becks. Midfield might as well have paid for their tickets the same as the rest of the onlookers there. We just couldn't retain any possession from then on either.

Monkfish
10/05/2009, 11:32 AM
Millwall are lousy travellers.

Racist! :)

OwlsFan
11/05/2009, 9:04 AM
Most Leeds' fans in Ireland should be close to drawing their pensions if they're a throwback to the Revie era unless they're of the class of O'Leary generation.

Sligo Hornet
11/05/2009, 9:38 AM
I watched the game, and think most Championship teams have nothing to fear from either team

Lionel Ritchie
11/05/2009, 1:36 PM
I watched the game, and think most Championship teams have nothing to fear from either team

...which would explain why they're Championship teams. :ball:

Red&White Rover
11/05/2009, 3:11 PM
Most Leeds' fans in Ireland should be close to drawing their pensions if they're a throwback to the Revie era unless they're of the class of O'Leary generation.

I'm off the George Graham generation;)

Sligo Hornet
13/05/2009, 10:36 AM
Well you're incorrect there...I started following them in about 78!!

What spastics follow Sheff Wed?

How very charming!

Den Perry
13/05/2009, 11:20 AM
How very charming!

apologies....used a bad choice of word there...

OK then, what cnuts follow Sheff Wed?:D

Lionel Ritchie
13/05/2009, 11:34 AM
OK then, what cnuts follow Sheff Wed?

...about half of Def Leppard. Case closed. :D

OwlsFan
15/05/2009, 1:13 PM
Michael Palin, Roy Hattersley, Michael Vaughan and me :p You're right. Cnuts we are.

Enjoy another season in Division One.

old git
15/05/2009, 2:43 PM
Michael Palin, Roy Hattersley, Michael Vaughan and me :p You're right. Cnuts we are.

ouch nice one :D:D

Lionel Ritchie
16/05/2009, 9:07 AM

Another two or three unless something quite unforeseeable happens in the next 12 months. No complaints. Not ready to step back up if we can only score once against Millwall at Elland Road.

Red&White Rover
16/05/2009, 11:49 AM
Grayson will get Leeds up next year. No doubt in my mind.

Lionel Ritchie
16/05/2009, 12:58 PM
I hope you're right.:)

MOT

Den Perry
16/05/2009, 3:11 PM
I hope you're right.:)

MOT

If Grayson had been in charge all season we'd have gone straight up....instead of the clown McCallister

Lionel Ritchie
16/05/2009, 4:14 PM
If Grayson had been in charge all season we'd have gone straight up....instead of the clown McCallister

You may well be right Den. But I'm guessing you're extrapolating backwards (sounds painful) and applying a similar set of results achieved since he arrived to the seasons earlier games played under Macca and Stan.

Next season will be different and may well involve attempting automatic promotion without the services of Messrs. Beckford, Delph, maybe Becchio... AND with Norwich, Charlton and Southampton (though the latter will be starting with -10) dumped into the division with us. ...on the other hand there could be cash plus players for the services of some of ours. Ferguson is said to have offered cash plus long term loans of Gibson and Cathcart in exchange for Fabian Delph. Villa are almost certainly after him as well and he's contracted til 2012 so it should take a fair wedge of cash to get him.

Denis The Red
17/05/2009, 1:28 AM
Does anyone here think that Ken Bates is the root of all evil. I know he wasn't in charge when they first got relegated in 2004 but he is the one person who could never make things right.
A full stadium of 37 odd thousand for a League 1 match is something amazing and if that club cannot make something out of that and build on over turning a 15 point deduction and still getting to the playoffs in spite of it a couple of years ago, then there's something rotten in the state of Yorkshire.
I think the problems got worse when Bates came in and shafted Blackwell (now in the Championship final with Sheff Utd) to employ his "godson" and poison dwarf Dennis Wise. I know it was Wise who got them to the play offs with that 15 point loss but can any of you Leeds fans tell me that you would be in the Championship now or at least League 1 final if that demented cockney was still at the helm???

OwlsFan
17/05/2009, 8:51 AM
A full stadium of 37 odd thousand for a League 1 match is something amazing

Not really. Wednesday had 40k+ in their derby games in the old Division 2 with Sheff Utd back in the 1980s.:p

No doubt Leeds are way too big for that division but I suspect, despite the crowds, they too are saddled with debt so easier said than done. They have kept great support and are a big club (certainly a lot bigger than many in the Premiership) and their day will come.

Lionel Ritchie
17/05/2009, 1:11 PM
Does anyone here think that Ken Bates is the root of all evil? Yes, yes I do.

I think the problems got worse when Bates came in and shafted Blackwell (now in the Championship final with Sheff Utd) to employ his "godson" and poison dwarf Dennis Wise.
Amongst Leeds supporters I'm in a small minority who think Blackwells achievements at Leeds were remarkable and that he was done some disservice by LUFC.

I know it was Wise who got them to the play offs with that 15 point loss but can any of you Leeds fans tell me that you would be in the Championship now or at least League 1 final if that demented cockney was still at the helm??? Not to take from Wise entirely but Leeds form dipped and stayed down practically from the day Gus Poyet left to join Ramos at Spurs so you may be onto something. I know no Leeds supporter who wasn't glad to see the back of him ...myself included.

No doubt Leeds are way too big for that division but I suspect, despite the crowds, they too are saddled with debt so easier said than done. They have kept great support and are a big club (certainly a lot bigger than many in the Premiership) and their day will come.

As far as I know the debts are gone. An operating profit of £4.5M was announced late last year. If I was one of the misfortunate "non football creditors" who got payed 11p in the pound I'd be pretty peeved and heading back to court to see if I could petition the judge with an AFFL plea ("Ah for f***sake like!") but Leeds apparently plan on buying back Thorp Arch with the proceeds.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/27/leeds-united-profit-football-league-one

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/45m-profit-Leeds-United-march.4736647.jp

Red&White Rover
17/05/2009, 8:55 PM
TBH I think Blackwell failed big time and folded under the pressure the year we lost the PO final to Watford. We should have caught Sheffield United that year.

And I think in fairness to Bates, he's proved he's not in it for a quick buck as we're profitable now and he's not f*cked off. He's generally been ok with managers and is giving them resources to build with, without interfering.

I think he's done ok, no matter how much Leeds fans resent him...

Red&White Rover
26/05/2009, 1:02 PM
Beckford rejected his new contract today, and is now on the transfer list...Not realy that bothered to be honest...

Lionel Ritchie
26/05/2009, 5:09 PM
Beckford rejected his new contract today, and is now on the transfer list...Not realy that bothered to be honest...

Silly move by Leeds. What'll we get for him realistically? Probably a fairly small transfer with appearance bonuses to follow. We know he can score 30+ goals a season so why not use him to try and get out of the division and let him walk next summer? Money better spent imo.

corkboy360
26/05/2009, 5:13 PM
Beckford will probably end up in the championship.
Be a good buy for Burnley.

Lionel Ritchie
26/05/2009, 5:51 PM
Beckford will probably end up in the championship.
Be a good buy for Burnley.

My point exactly. 1.3 million is the most Burnley have ever paid for a player -and that was last summer. Even at twice that kind of money I think Leeds would be better off foregoing the fee and letting/making him see out his contract and walk away, hopefully from a newly promoted championship club, next summer.

Red&White Rover
26/05/2009, 8:20 PM
He won't get as many chances in the Championship and he'll be a flop IMO.

And if he's moving anywhere it'll be down south.

oscar
26/05/2009, 10:03 PM
They have kept great support and are a big club (certainly a lot bigger than many in the Premiership) and their day will come.

i hope so because i'm sick to death of my mates taking the p1ss out of me

corkboy360
27/05/2009, 2:27 AM
All in all they have a huge scum element

Lionel Ritchie
27/05/2009, 8:13 AM
:rolleyes:
Anyway, glad to at least see this statement from Shaun Harvey -if he'll stick to his guns on it....
"In the event that no offers are forthcoming or the offers received are unacceptable to us, then he will remain part of Simon Grayson's squad next season."

Newcastle and Coventry are among the first names linked.

Red&White Rover
28/05/2009, 5:01 PM

Close the thread. We've been found out.

Lionel Ritchie
30/05/2009, 1:49 PM
Great to see the 70's smiley logo on a tricolour at Craven Cottage last night.:ball:

:)

Lionel Ritchie
23/09/2009, 2:47 PM
Thought Leeds gave a very fine account of themselves against Liverpool last night. Great to see Elland Road stuffed full as well.

Bring on the mock Dons at the weekend.

Lionel Ritchie
26/09/2009, 9:57 PM
Bring on the mock Dons at the weekend.

Mock Dons vanquished! :D

Snotty boy on fire!

MOT

:cool:

Blue Man
27/09/2009, 1:41 PM
I think we look superb this season. Really impressed with how calm and assured Grayson comes across. Really is a talented manager IMO. Id like to see another striker come in as Showunmi and Grella arent able to pressure Becks or Becchio. Also a bit unsure of Crowe at right full. Very impressed with Higgs in goal and Bradley Johnson has had a teriffic start. Snods is a capable of a higher level and hopefully the goal yesterday kick starts his season. All in all, I think it we look very good!! MOT

Lionel Ritchie
28/09/2009, 12:03 PM
IAlso a bit unsure of Crowe at right full. Very impressed with Higgs in goal
Both those lads are very doubtful for the Carlisle match at ER tomorrow night.

Blue Man
28/09/2009, 8:11 PM
Yea what happened to Higgs? Had no mention of it in the match report. I know Crowe pulled his hamstring. Another huge one for us!

Lionel Ritchie
29/09/2009, 9:25 AM
Yea what happened to Higgs? Had no mention of it in the match report. I know Crowe pulled his hamstring. Another huge one for us!

Thigh strain according to the site. Not expected to make it. Able replacement there in Casper though -he played the last half hour on saturday. I know an amount of people reckon he's at his level but I rate Casper and reckon he could be a good championship keeper.

Blue Man
29/09/2009, 11:54 AM
Looks like we're trying to bring an emergency loan keeper in as Alan Martin is at Accrington Stanley. I think Casper is still capable of doing a job and has been great for us, but I dont know how much he has left in the tank

Lionel Ritchie
20/10/2009, 9:32 AM
Great win last night after a mixed performance. Norwich were pretty good and Lambert was sickened they lost.

Downside was early injury to Higgs. Casper came on and did a bit of flapping but made a couple of great instinctive saves as well.

Back on top.

MOT

KK77
20/10/2009, 9:36 AM
Great win last night after a mixed performance. Norwich were pretty good and Lambert was sickened they lost.

Downside was early injury to Higgs. Casper came on and did a bit of flapping but made a couple of great instinctive saves as well.

Back on top.

MOT

Would love to see Leeds back in the premiership soon.