PDA

View Full Version : FIFA Position unchanged - FAI

Ref
06/01/2004, 12:39 PM
FAI Chief Executive Fran Rooney has dismissed a newspaper report that the football authorities would receive another derogation allowing the use of temporary seating at Lansdowne Road.

Read on here. (http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=11763&mainheading=Republic%20of%20Ireland&viewstory=yes)

:rolleyes:

Declan_Michael
06/01/2004, 1:16 PM
This thing is turning into farce.

The stadium issue rumbles on and nobody knows if Lansdowne will be availble in September.

:o

Éanna
06/01/2004, 1:20 PM
and the FAI look down their noses at eircom League clubs for not getting their houses in order. If anyone needed proof that the rot in Irish football ran right down from the top, this is it :rolleyes: And Fran Rooney is still clinging to the thought of playing in his beloved $elltic park :rolleyes:

pete
06/01/2004, 2:16 PM
Those bucket seats at Lansdowne are probably safer than the stands. Since the temporary seating already constructed on top of a terrace be very hard to bring it down.

Ref
06/01/2004, 2:23 PM
Originally posted by pete
Those bucket seats at Lansdowne are probably safer than the stands.

especially seeing that trains run under the west stand.

Éanna
06/01/2004, 2:26 PM
Originally posted by pete
Those bucket seats at Lansdowne are probably safer than the stands. Since the temporary seating already constructed on top of a terrace be very hard to bring it down.
Yeah. Fair enough that FIFA have to have their rules, but I don't really see how the seats are so dangerous.

Ozymandias
07/01/2004, 11:07 AM
I can't understand why FiFa don't send a safety inspection team to view the buckets.....in farness the west stand does not reach the safety standards of the Taylor? report in britain after the bradford tragedy....the west stand is definitely more in danger of coming down

gspain
07/01/2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Yeah. Fair enough that FIFA have to have their rules, but I don't really see how the seats are so dangerous.

10-15 of them collapsed during the Swiss game and I believe at least fan was taken to hospital. however if constructed properly they are safe.

Rules are bent all over the place - I remember being in Seville where we had seats but a lot of the Spanish fans got cushions and stood on the terraces. FIFA leave a lot to the lcoal safety authorities.

I really really hope I'm wrong but I can't see the government agree to fund part of the redevelopment. I know the spin doctors are working overtime with leaks etc and all sounds positive but they could still decide to butry a decision for another year or two.

republic
07/01/2004, 1:24 PM
Originally posted by gspain

I really really hope I'm wrong but I can't see the government agree to fund part of the redevelopment. I know the spin doctors are working overtime with leaks etc and all sounds positive but they could still decide to butry a decision for another year or two.

According to best estimates, even if the decision is given to go-ahead with the redevelopment of Lansdowne it will be at least 2008 before the new stadium will be reopened. This presumes a lengthy planning process with many objections.

Remember the area in which Lansdowne is situated? Anyone who does not believe that the residents of Lansdowne Road, owners of some of the most expensive properties in Dublin, will not object and use every legal trick in the book to delay or halt the redevelopment is not living in the real world.

In this respect it would be far better to build on a green field site in Abbotstown.

Also, what happens when/if the construction work finally gets underway at Lansdowne. Where do we play then? Ultimately my guess is that at some stage we will have to play some matches outside the country. Sad but true.

Glacky
08/01/2004, 9:24 AM
From a selfish point of view my main worry about Abbotstown is where are you going to go for a drink before and after the game and how long is it going to take to get back into town after. At least there are plenty of boozers round Lansdowne.

SÓC
08/01/2004, 2:14 PM
Next time the temp seats are there (if there is a next time) have a look underneath. Then think of the jumping around etc in the eL section. You wont feel safe.

You'll see poles going everywher with loose pieces of supporting some poles which arent long enough and others at a funny angle coz the can fit properly. Those temp seats will kill people some day I tells ya.

pete
08/01/2004, 4:51 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
Those temp seats will kill people some day I tells ya.

Will the ambulance chasers be waiting outside Lansdowne then?

;)

Slash/ED
08/01/2004, 5:30 PM
I wonder if Rooney has come out and said this as he wants to keep the pressure on the GAA to open up Croker. Even with temp seats allowed the FAI would much rather be playing in Croker, so maybe Fifa will allow the use of them but Rooney doesn't want it coming out before the confrence in April (I think?) where we'll find out if Croker is a possibility at all.