PDA

View Full Version : Surprisingly good gigs...

Billsthoughts
08/05/2009, 7:49 PM
.....has anyone ever been to gigs that they have enjoyed despite themselves..? got dragged along to the frames one xmas years ago in vicar street and it was brilliant. it was before they released the live album so the banter was quite fresh and the crowd not have as annoying as they became...the singers little brother came out and played revelate with the band. A relation of mick christopher came out and sang hey day. she was only a little girl. it was really emotional. been a couple of times since and never really enjoyed as much and couldnt sit thru one of their albums but deffo have a soft spot for them after that gig...

SligoBrewer
09/05/2009, 9:13 PM
The Blizzards. Couldn't believe it. It felt so dirty.:p

Lionel Ritchie
10/05/2009, 12:43 PM
Mundy

The Farm

Hairy Bowsie
10/05/2009, 1:37 PM
Had bought tickets to Mark Knopfler in the Point a few years back, by the time the gig rolled around i was in no mood as i'd recently broke up with an ex and was a little sick but i went anyway and it was brilliant. The best gig i was at that year anyway.

holidaysong
10/05/2009, 2:28 PM
Electric Six - went with colllege friends.

Slipknot - Supporting Metallica.

SligoBrewer
10/05/2009, 5:58 PM
Electric Six - went with colllege friends.

I hear great things about them live.

stann
11/05/2009, 7:32 AM
Manu Chao, Oxegen 2006.
Not because I didn't think he was any good, just that the show was very different to what I expected and particularly suited to a sunny summer afternoon. :cool:

The Pale at Trafest in 2000 and blah.
Didn't think they could spin two singles out into a great show but they very much did! :)

The Optimist
11/05/2009, 9:24 AM
Sheryl Crow point depot 2004.
She finished the set with a great version of Led Zeppelins immigrant song.

Lev Yashin
11/05/2009, 12:23 PM
Was at oxegen one year and it started raining so we jumped into the nearest tent and Eagle Eye Cherry was playing...he was brilliant..still didn't buy his album though!:D

Wolfie
11/05/2009, 12:47 PM
The Fun Lovin Criminals - Olympia

When they toured their first album. Wasn't expecting much but they were great. After the gig, they invited all of the audience across the road to Eamon Dorans and played for another 40 minutes .

The Farm - Anthems + Communal Atmosphere = Good Gig.

Damien Dempsey at Vicar Street - say what you like about him but he puts his heart and soul into his live performance. I couldn't believe it was the same bloke that had released "Dublin Town".

David Bowie at the Point in 2005 (?) - I thought it would be a tired, pale imitation, old git Bowie. I was wrong. Very wrong. 3 hour set of Greatest Hits!!

Lionel Ritchie
11/05/2009, 1:24 PM
The Farm - Anthems + Communal Atmosphere = Good Gig.

David Bowie at the Point in 2005 (?) - I thought it would be a tired, pale imitation, old git Bowie. I was wrong. Very wrong. 3 hour set of Greatest Hits!!

I saw the Farm at feile 91 ...which overall was not the best fun I've ever had but I was really dreading the likes of the Farm. In the end they were good enough fun and considerably better than for example Happy Mondays who were on the same bill.

I've never been a signed up fan of Bowie -which is to say I was aware of loads of his stuff -liked it even, but never owned any of it and never felt compelled to seek it out. BUT I happened to see him at Phoenix Festival in Statford-upon-Avon in 97 and it was the very best gig I've ever seen in my life!!

Rovers1
11/05/2009, 4:55 PM
The Venga Boys in The Clarence in March.... 1 hour of nostalgia and cheese..:D

Been to a few in Whelans that i thought i wouldnt like but did..

ken foree
13/05/2009, 5:35 PM
ween - saw them at a womad festival or something similar. blindingly hot upstate ny summer, plenty to smoke and drink and this band comes on -i was simultanesouly blown away by how funny and amazingly GOOD they were. they have this amazing ability to rock while they're winking at the whole silly idea of "rock" at the same time.

david byrne - expected him to be good, didn't expect him to be truly great. amazing performance, one of my top five i'd say.