hhttp://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1801/

Whats going on here, anybody any info ?

dcfcsteve
08/05/2009, 11:13 AM
How hard is it to cut and paste something, ya lazy git..... :D

Welsh Premier ref officiates Bray clash

by Gareth Penrose
Thu, May 07 2009

Dean John officiates at Bray tomorrow Friday night sees Welsh referee Dean John take charge of the clash between Bray Wanderers and Drogheda United. Mr. John hails from Swansea and began his refereeing in the Swansea Senior League in 1998 and moved onto the Welsh Premier Full List in 2005/2006.

The televised match between St. Pat’s and Cork City sees Richie Winter take charge. The list of the weekend fixtures in full is as follows:

Is he still Wales-based though, or has he moved here to avail of the booming economy....?

pineapple stu
08/05/2009, 11:15 AM
How hard is it to clock on a link?

dcfcsteve
08/05/2009, 11:18 AM
How hard is it to clock on a link?

Obviously harder than it is to just read something that's right in front of you, smart hole......

Dodge
08/05/2009, 11:41 AM
Settle down pedantors...

Wasn't there a scheme a couple of years ago when a couple of Scottish refs came over for the odd game. I presume Irish refs went there too.

Perhaps this is a new initiative with Wales?

GuisaSaigon
08/05/2009, 11:58 AM
Ray Crangle, a Nordie ref did our game in Drogheda in April. I suppose when the best they can get is Mark Gough and Anthony feckin Buttimer you have to start importing them!

Rovers1
08/05/2009, 12:01 PM
We had a Scottish ref called McClean for our game V Bray (i think) last year.

Redie
08/05/2009, 12:18 PM
It was common practice in the Thirties and Forties when Irish League Soccer was in its infancy for the match officials to travel over by boat from England to referee matches.

eamo1
08/05/2009, 12:24 PM
Back then of course in the 1930's and 40's was when 90,000 crammed into Dalymount every week for the games:rolleyes:.

Monkfish
08/05/2009, 12:31 PM
I suppose when the best they can get is Mark Gough and Anthony feckin Buttimer you have to start importing them!

Agreed 1000000%

pól-dcfc
08/05/2009, 12:36 PM
Is he bringing his linesmen?

I've been on lino watch this season. The standard is abysmal. They never ever flag for anything unless the referee has indicated his decision first. Keep an eye on it tonight. The ball will go out, the ref will hold up his hand to indicate the direction of the throw, and the lino will eventually raise his flag. This happens even when the ref is miles away and the play is right in front of the lino. Offsides are much the same, and you rarely see a lino flagging for a foul.

srfc1928
08/05/2009, 12:53 PM

I've been on lino watch this season. The standard is abysmal. They never ever flag for anything unless the referee has indicated his decision first. Keep an eye on it tonight. The ball will go out, the ref will hold up his hand to indicate the direction of the throw, and the lino will eventually raise his flag. This happens even when the ref is miles away and the play is right in front of the lino. Offsides are much the same, and you rarely see a lino flagging for a foul.
Absolutely spot on,
It drives me nuts,
they never make a decision even on throw ins,
they wait for the wee nod from the ref.
As for blatant fouls right in front of them, they somehow never see them.

CameramanConka
08/05/2009, 1:54 PM

Step forward Terence Moyne.

dcfcsteve
08/05/2009, 4:07 PM
It was common practice in the Thirties and Forties when Irish League Soccer was in its infancy for the match officials to travel over by boat from England to referee matches.

In its infancy...?!?! :eek:

You do realise that league football in Ireland began 40-50yrs earlier, in 1890....? :o

Rovers1
08/05/2009, 4:17 PM
In its infancy...?!?! :eek:

You do realise that league football in Ireland began 40-50yrs earlier, in 1890....? :o

You love being right Steve, don't ya?:)

Ezeikial
08/05/2009, 5:04 PM
Ray Crangle, a Nordie ref did our game in Drogheda in April. I suppose when the best they can get is Mark Gough and Anthony feckin Buttimer you have to start importing them!

Could we do a ref exchange with Outer Mongolia?

gufc2000
08/05/2009, 5:32 PM
Well this Welsh fella can't be any worse than whats already ou there

dcfcsteve
08/05/2009, 9:34 PM
You love being right Steve, don't ya?:)

Nahhh -like any habit, you just get used to it after a while.... :p

superfrank
08/05/2009, 9:57 PM
No. Linos were both Irish lads.

One lino tonight kept changing his mind after the ref made his decision. The lino would flag for a Bray ball and the ref would point the other way, then the lino would flag for a Drogs ball. It happened a few times.

The ref sent Chris Deans off on that lino's advice tonight.

I think someone at the match said it was part of the exchange thing mentioned earlier on in the thread. I think the ref had a pretty good game. The sending off wasn't his choice and he made some good calls on fouls and advantages.

pól-dcfc
09/05/2009, 1:14 AM
No. Linos were both Irish lads.

One lino tonight kept changing his mind after the ref made his decision. The lino would flag for a Bray ball and the ref would point the other way, then the lino would flag for a Drogs ball. It happened a few times.

The ref sent Chris Deans off on that lino's advice tonight.

I think someone at the match said it was part of the exchange thing mentioned earlier on in the thread. I think the ref had a pretty good game. The sending off wasn't his choice and he made some good calls on fouls and advantages.

Good man. The linos in our match were slightly better than normal, it has to be said. I noticed several times the lino flagging before the ref.

I'll post more on this in the morning. I'm steamin, delighted, roped and ecstatic at the result tonight.

Mainly drunk though...

Copa Mundial
09/05/2009, 10:48 AM
hhttp://www.extratime.ie/newsdesk/articles/1801/

Whats going on here, anybody any info ?

This initiative has been ongoing between the FAI, IFA, SFA and FAW for the past three seasons. It is an exchange match referees between leagues in each country which excludes FIFA referees from those associations. It also does not include the SPL. England wont exchange.

The purpose is to give the perceived promising match referees from these associations more experience outside of their own respective leagues.

How successful the initiative has proven to be is up for discussion. Referees from those associations that have refereed in the League of Ireland have done so in both divisions thus far.

The feedback from spectators in those leagues has been 60/40 towards positive with the basis for that being down to the fact that their teams were being officiated by someone 'new'. That information has been gathered from sites such as this.:ball: