PDA

View Full Version : Lansdowne

Pogsly
06/01/2004, 7:41 AM
According to tv3 this morning , FIFA have confirmed that Lansdowne Road including the Bucket seats will be allowed to stage World Cup Qualifying matches this season . Apparently the reason there was all the hype over matches moving abroad was because the FAI didn't ask FIFA could they use the Bucket Seats . I guess we won't be getting that new stadium just yet

tiktok
06/01/2004, 8:05 AM
Originally posted by Pogsly
Apparently the reason there was all the hype over matches moving abroad was because the FAI didn't ask FIFA could they use the Bucket Seats

:rolleyes: priceless :rolleyes:

Pogsly
06/01/2004, 8:07 AM
I bet Bertie feels like a tool for "going on the record" now wouldn't he !!!

FAI
Funny Ageing Idiots

Pogsly
06/01/2004, 8:11 AM
tv3 have now changed their stance on this story after Fran Rooney contacted FIFA earlier this morning ( I find this highly unlikely) and informed the press that their was NO confirmation from FIFA over the use of Lansdowne .

OMG!!!:o

Xlex
06/01/2004, 8:27 AM
to all the clowns,

does anyone think that perhaps Rooney was trying to embarrass the government (PD's)and give the joint FAI/IRFU proposal some urgency? We have to give the current post-genesis FAI some time to judge them....if not as national league supporters, but maybe as sports fans...

I don't think they neglected to appeal against FIFA ruling, I think they were just holding cards close to their chests.

gspain
06/01/2004, 9:21 AM
Originally posted by Xlex
to all the clowns,

does anyone think that perhaps Rooney was trying to embarrass the government (PD's)and give the joint FAI/IRFU proposal some urgency? We have to give the current post-genesis FAI some time to judge them....if not as national league supporters, but maybe as sports fans...

I don't think they neglected to appeal against FIFA ruling, I think they were just holding cards close to their chests.

Yes of course he is.

We need a decision on the stadium. There is a real cocnern that this could be buried for another 2-3 years in "fact finding mssions" to avoid the government having to make a decision. The PDs are crucial here. They do not seem to want public money going to build a stadium.

The noises coming forom the government in recent days are positive but we need a firm decision and I'm still no convinced we'll getone.

republic
06/01/2004, 1:57 PM
Originally posted by gspain

The noises coming forom the government in recent days are positive but we need a firm decision and I'm still no convinced we'll getone.

According to a news report on RTE last night, the odds favour a government decision very shortly to support the redevelopment of Lansdowne. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen.

The stance of the PD's is sickening. A parliamentary party that could fit inside a taxi (well, only if Slim travels in another one :D) has continually delayed and thwarted this whole project. The Blueshirts, as usual, are intent on making as much capital as possible out of the issue.

Interestingly, Paul Hyland in the Evening Herald has been promoting the case of Patrick Nally who has said that he will build a stadium in Abbotstown without cost to the state *and* complete it within two years. Nally may want tax-breaks or other 'incentives' but surely even this is something that that the PD's could support.

soccerc
06/01/2004, 2:41 PM
Originally posted by Pogsly
tv3 have now changed their stance on this story after Fran Rooney contacted FIFA earlier this morning ( I find this highly unlikely) and informed the press that their was NO confirmation from FIFA over the use of Lansdowne .

OMG!!!:o
Well FIFa confirmed it to me!

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=11766&mainheading=Other&viewstory=yes

Peadar
06/01/2004, 4:34 PM
Originally posted by soccerc
Well FIFa confirmed it to me!

That's fair enough on the part of FIFA.
It would be unacceptable in these modern times to unconditionally allow the use of temporary seating at a major international sporting event. We're a 1st world country with 3rd rate facilities. With all the revelations about planning corruption and the like surely the government owes this country something major? We've funded the exorbitant lifestyles of greedy planners, developers and politicians for decades and no amount of tribunals will appease this little nation. The government has not the right to deny us but is obliged to facilitate us with a grand theatre of sport. More's the pity this isn't an election year where our precious votes could be bribed with the promise of a stadium.

pete
06/01/2004, 5:11 PM
Originally posted by Xlex
does anyone think that perhaps Rooney was trying to embarrass the government (PD's)and give the joint FAI/IRFU proposal some urgency?...

Thats almost certainly the case & the IRFU even joined in recently saying they short of cash & need better facilities soon. Unfortunately people are way too quick to bash the FAI at any opportunity. If the govt are given 10 years to make a decision they will take 12.