PDA

View Full Version : Rovers 0-3 Shams

Rovers Maniac
07/05/2009, 10:16 PM
Hopefully a good crowd for this, there seems to be a big away crowd coming from Dublin for this so should be a good atmosphere and hopefully a good crowd in general.

Twigg seems absolute quality and if we can stop him i fancy ourselves but it will be tight, by they have not won down here in 10 years, so hopefully we can keep the run going saturday evening.

nechayev
08/05/2009, 12:43 PM
.... who cares which picture you see / etc etc....

the shams game last season (3:2, i think?) was mighty - goals, fisticuffs, handbags, the full monty - one of the best this foreign blow-in has enjoyed!

looking forward to saturday

see y'all

KEEP HER COUNTRY!

DIMITRI

sligored
09/05/2009, 9:33 PM
lost 3-0. o grady sent off. parkhouse missed pen.
woeful stuff-no fight.
shams were hungrier and could have won by six.

rovers100%
09/05/2009, 9:51 PM
thought brush could have done better on first 2 goals but hard to be critical as a very good keeper who has improved since joining. we have no midfield all season. connor runs his heart out but cant do it all on his own. incidently a red card for him and another suspension we dont need, captains are meant to lead by example !!! we have no wingers at the club its like playing with 9 men every game, cash plays better when coming on as a sub. i feel for our strikers are brill and run and show all day, never do we get less than 100% and ya can put peers in that caterigory. feeney was shocking. ya cant take anything away from shams they were excellent. 2 very good strikers and showed us how defending should be done. richie ryan does not leave the centre circle and is 2 fond of going back with the ball, he is gone back the ways as a footballer imo. i like alan keane for me he is the best of the new signings. we badly need almeida back to shore up defence, peers is a one man show and how long can we keep him ? have we as a team gone bakwards this year.........i honestly hope not it kills me to see us play this bad. we have only played 2 good games all season, bohs and derry. hopefully this performance gives the lads a kick up the ass as not good enough losing to part timers so badly.

sligo23
09/05/2009, 10:35 PM
disapointing result, move on...
but on an aside who else thinks the draw for the trip to europe with the team was fixed...?:p
well done alan:D

The Midget Gem
09/05/2009, 11:08 PM
Very very very very bad.
Well done to the fans who sang them off, there are alot(most) fans in the world would boo their team off after their worst preformance in years but ye kept heart, I couldn't though, I'm one of those majority who just can't stand for it and would rather let the team know how i really feel, sunshiner:o! Fair play lads though ye deserve better.
On the match, oh god. I was the one who spoke about Richie only this week. I must have given his a curse because he was shocking the only player worse was Morrison. Morrison, Morrison, Morrison, i don't know. He thinks he is the 'white pele'. Takes on players when there is just no need to, when simple balls are by far the better choice. Wastes too much posession. He frustrated the hell out of me tonight and caused the second goal by being to lazy in the tackle down the wing when the ball was there to be won. Parkhouse is in very bad shape and i doubt Cook's ability to get him into shape after the episode with Foy. But who knows. Parkhouses committment is questionable.

I know people have been saying give them time to gel, oh we have loads of injuries, etc etc. But you can't have exuses for that tonight. It felt like the second of the movies the 'Matrix'. The first being Dundalk, and now today the sequel: Shams, the second just being more rubbish than the first.

I got out of Hospital a day early to see that tonight as well, what a sickener.

Like Rovers100% said its just not good enough getting bet 3-0 by a bunch of part timers at home.

Rovers fan
09/05/2009, 11:12 PM
Very poor:(

As one of the lads said,we have resorted to too much hoofing. But the key difference between this year and last is our full backs. Tonight our full backs were keane(who has been brilliant) and ventre,neither of whom can cross/go forward. Last year a lot of our attacks started off through seamie and himself and butler were constantly bombing forward,providing options and overlaps. We really miss that this season and hence why we lack creativity. We created sweet FA tonight. And despite the fact that we have two small strikers we still hoof it forward to them:confused:

I don't see how we can play so well against bohs and then just not turn up tonight.

A good crowd of shams fans,and they were very vocal,fair play. Tis a pity our lads couldn't put in a decent performance considering there was a big enough crowd.

2 wins in 11 games is worrying but I still think the lads can pick it up....

As an aside,does anyone know how many people entered the draw for the europa cup trip thingy majig?

rovers100%
09/05/2009, 11:19 PM
i agree last year our full backs got forward brilliantly, they hid the fact we have no wing play, how can we expect to progress and achieve when we play with 9 men cos morrison & doherty do nothing. is it a lot to ask for 90 minutes of hard work and try something. worst is morrison actually has ability just loves himself too much and is so greedy and wont release the right ball 99% of the time. brush, peers, keane, o gredy, boco and raf all doing a job, holmes not bad the rest need to take a long hard look at themselves. do they not want to do better for themselves never mind the club

Rovers Maniac
10/05/2009, 8:30 AM
Jesus that was woeful, our midfield is terrible. Ryan likes to pass the ball square or back he was particularly disappointing i thought as he has football in him. Morrison is another one who has ability but takes way to much out of the ball. We have no drive from midfield, the ball to the front line last night was laughable nothing positive going forward from the team as a whole, takes an age to do anything no quick football anymore. I think we had one effort on target and that was Raf's header in the second half which lacked conviction, while the team as a whole lack hunger. Only positive thing i saw was young Danny Keohane who came on in the second half, i like the look of this lad and he looks comfortable on the ball.

The Midget Gem
10/05/2009, 9:10 AM
The key difference between this year and last is our full backs. Tonight our full backs were keane(who has been brilliant) and ventre,neither of whom can cross/go forward. Last year a lot of our attacks started off through seamie and himself and butler were constantly bombing forward,providing options and overlaps. We really miss that this season and hence why we lack creativity.
Absolutely spot on.
Most of our flowing football last year was created by our two attacking full backs. It was Colemans ability to take on players that made space for everyone else last year, same as Butler. We simply don't have that this year.

Well Red
10/05/2009, 9:19 AM
Shamie Coleman where are you when we need you. Guess by the amount of games Everton reserves play, Shamie could nearly slip over and put a game in for us at the weekends.

srfc1928
10/05/2009, 9:22 AM
do they not want to do better for themselves never mind the club
Very disapointed after last night and have to agree with all of the above,
Im not going to pick out players but rovers100% raises a great question.

dong
10/05/2009, 9:54 AM
It's not getting any better really. I was one of those who heralded Parkhouse as a great new signing. I have been soundly proven wrong on that one. I doubt Harps would even have him back.

SligoBrewer
10/05/2009, 10:06 AM
Report up. (http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11437/2/)

I still can't believe how bad we were last night.

sligofan4ever
10/05/2009, 10:22 AM
That was terrible last night, I would've taught the lads would have been full of confidence after Mondays win. Apart from O'Grady, our midfield were below average last night, Richie Ryan is capable of so much more than back passing, Brian Cash didn't look comfortable on the ball, and Morrison, whats happened to him ? he was a joy to watch at derry now hes just lost that form, he's to greedy with ball, he needs to pass every now and again at least. And how right was I about Parkhouse :(, hes absolute tripe on front of goal with us, he has height you would think he'd use it FFS!. Raf and Boco played well when they had the ball at their feet but I felt sorry for them looking at the football being played by the lads supposed to be supplying them. The positives we can take from this is, Keohane coming on, hes much more comfortable on the ball than Feeney. Feeney was another dissapointment last night, he played well on Monday, but tonight was a different level of football compared to Finn Harps. Our other positive is the improved and IMO, MOTM performance by Ventre, he was by far our best player,rarely gave away possesion, won the ball alot without conceding a free kick or penalty, hope he keeps it up, if he does this for every game now he will get on fine this season. I hope Cookie has something planned to get them going again, as its not looking good now. Lads was that really a penalty they deserved last night do any of ye know ? it looked like a clean shoulder shoulder to me.

brianw82
10/05/2009, 12:29 PM
Feck, that bad eh?

Hopefully we can go to Pats and nick a win. The boys should at least be more motivated than Kenna´s. At least we, usually, keep things tighter at the back than they do.

Rovers1
10/05/2009, 12:45 PM
Terrible night. There seems to be two or three out there who are just happy to swan about the pitch on a Friday/Saturday then collect their wage cheque after. On the bright side: Gavin Peers

red arrow
10/05/2009, 12:45 PM
i was'nt at the game last night but was very dissapointed with the result. from reading the posts here we seem to have big problems. this is very dissapointing that the team is not performong as there is a lot of good work being done about the place and a lot of people have put in a mighty effort to get the ground ready for europe. from my observation of the game against harps feeney is not good enough, he is to slow and causes problems for peers who wants to move the ball at pace. morrison carries the ball to much and as someone here suggested tries to beat a player twice(however on a faster football surface he can be better). at this stage paul cook hopefully notices what everybody else can see i.e. morrison needs to be coached better and his bad points pointed out. cparkhouse has'nt shown anything at all (it will be a miricle if he improves) doherty is like a warm breeze
he blows now and again but rarely performs. the biggest dissapointment for me is ryan he takes the easy option playing the ball square or backwards(is this what he is being told to do?) he needs a boot up the ar****. he seems to have lost the ability to beat a player and like feeney cannot play the ball at pace therefore giving the opposition time to defend. a lot of our players need to be pulled aside and there lack of committment and effort pointed out.
we need to turn it around very fast. paul cook always preached 150 per cent committment from his players this is not happening at the moment (some are giving their all). apart from our league position at the moment ther is for ever the financial situation which is there every day when we wake up. if we stay in this position the crowds will dwindle and god help us. it is now hugely important that we get a result from next game and win the league cup match

red bellied
10/05/2009, 2:08 PM
Shams are fairly ordinary but when Rovers go behind the game is over. They had no tempo or pace to the game. Its true that they tend to hoof the ball up but this is partly due and has been said already the full backs are basically no good on the ball. Christ it funny in a way but the two front lads Cretaro and Boco would make better full backs than the two regular boys.

forza rovers
10/05/2009, 5:34 PM
swap parkhouse for young dave?

Rovers fan
10/05/2009, 5:38 PM
A small striker,that's exactly what we need.

I know parkhouse is lazy and all but in fairness he has been out injured and then comes on as a sub and he is getting torn into by everyone. I'd nearly swear people were just waiting for him to be a failure so they could be proven right. FFS will yis give the lad a chance.

Red&White Rover
10/05/2009, 5:41 PM
A small striker,that's exactly what we need.

I know parkhouse is lazy and all but in fairness he has been out injured and then comes on as a sub and he is getting torn into by everyone. I'd nearly swear people were just waiting for him to be a failure so they could be proven right. FFS will yis give the lad a chance.

For some reason People need a scapegoat. When Parkhouse was out it was Holmes, when Holmes was out last night it was Morrison until Parkhouse came on.:rolleyes:

Rovers fan
10/05/2009, 5:52 PM
Exactly. Fickle,fickle fans we have. I just don't understand why somebody would come on here,before parky had played a game,saying it wasn't a good signing etc. What good would this do? Say now he came on here to see what we are saying,well yis can think for yourselves what his reaction would be. I know some players might need a kick up the arse etc. if they're not putting in 100% but sometimes I just don't understand some people's mentality. When a player is struggling for form,having the fans on his back is only going to knock his confidence even more. Holmes got a bit of stick at the start of the season(another player that was judged before he got a chance) and you could see in his body language that his confidence was shot. Then in the Jinks we decided to get behind him and surprise surprise his performances picked up. People tore into ventre after the drogs game. LOi i obviously not the highest standard of football,but you cannot fault a player like ventre who gives 100%. If you wanna shout at a game,shout for your team,not against them.

clubman
10/05/2009, 7:41 PM
Last night like every other Bit O’ Red supporter I left the ground totally dejected. After recent games I suppose I was living off a false security, the trashing of Harps certainly added to my optimism. It’s too easy to get on the backs of our players, single out individual performances and play the blame game. Sometimes we have to look at the bigger picture. Last night there were two teams on the pitch, one far more superior to the other. Last night the result didn’t lie and that’s the be all and end all of the matter. I believe that no player ever pulls on the jersey to have a bad game. I also believe every player has a level. Unfortunately for us too many of our players are just not up to the level they presently are playing at. That can in no way be the blame of the player/players in question. Players don’t pick teams – managers do!
Supporters have a huge role to play I totally agree but supporters are loyal to the club not to players. Supporters criticise player performance because supporters expect what’s best for the club. Every supporter is the life blood of the club and deserves respect. Players get paid to do a job and all’s that expected of them is to give 100%. It’s not much to ask to earn a decent wage.
Now in all fairness how many of our players give 100% last night?
Did all of our players earn their pay cheque last night?
I for one certainly don’t think so!
Some of our players are just not up to League of Ireland Premier Division standard but that certainly doesn’t give them licence to give less in terms of trying.

Defeat will always be hard to take by any loyal supporter and that’s the way it should always be. But what’s worse than defeat is lack of effort by some members of the team. It won’t be tolerated by the loyal supporters so let’s hope the manager is of the same opinion.

Rovers Maniac
10/05/2009, 8:03 PM
I was more embarrassed at the final whistle than angry as somebody else said you would think they would want to do it for themselves at least !

By the way whats the story with Holmes?

sligoman
10/05/2009, 8:16 PM
There's too many things wrong here. We're a full time team but I don't think we're professional enough for it. Other FT teams in the league train twice a day, we train once. Holmes, Morrison & Parkhouse are living up in Derry, Holmes is part-time so that's fair enough but the other 2 should have to base themselves in/around Sligo if they want a full-time contract here. A lot of players still look off the pace fitness wise, this should not be happening at this stage of the season. Too many players are happy to go out on the pitch and arse about for 90mins and collect their handy wages at the end of the week. There needs to be a drinking ban of some sort until we start getting sharper with fitness and an increase in training too. Even look at our pre-match warm-up's, home or away, we're always the last team out, it's just not good enough at the moment. It seems too easy to be a full-time Sligo Rovers player this season.

I'm still confident things will pick up and we certainly wont be involved in a relegation battle but we really need to start picking up points...fast.

MMVIII
10/05/2009, 8:38 PM
Exactly. Fickle,fickle fans we have. I just don't understand why somebody would come on here,before parky had played a game,saying it wasn't a good signing etc. What good would this do? Say now he came on here to see what we are saying,well yis can think for yourselves what his reaction would be. I know some players might need a kick up the arse etc. if they're not putting in 100% but sometimes I just don't understand some people's mentality. When a player is struggling for form,having the fans on his back is only going to knock his confidence even more. Holmes got a bit of stick at the start of the season(another player that was judged before he got a chance) and you could see in his body language that his confidence was shot. Then in the Jinks we decided to get behind him and surprise surprise his performances picked up. People tore into ventre after the drogs game. LOi i obviously not the highest standard of football,but you cannot fault a player like ventre who gives 100%. If you wanna shout at a game,shout for your team,not against them.

I normally would never be one to abuse a player after a bad performance/string of bad performances, but I did on Saturday night. Got extremely frustrated with Parkhouse. I regret saying some of the things I said about him now, it was his first game back from injury, but at the time I just couldn't think of anything else to say. It's not that I don't want him to do well or anything like that, it was at that moment I needed someone to take my frustration and anger on and unfortunately he was the one who sprang to mind.

On saying that, i completely agree with what your saying about getting behind the player as thats what I normally do and shall continue to do, but most people who do get ****ed of at a player normally do it in the heat of the moment. Not making excuses for it, I'm just saying.

I'm not being a ***** here, but I'm nearly sure you shouted abuse at Morrison in Drogheda? Bit contradictory? Not trying to start anything but like, if your preaching on here about it and you do it yourself I find it ironic.

DocRovers
10/05/2009, 9:10 PM
Guys been away for a while. Last night very disappointing. But best way to help the team & club is by giving some time - a couple of hours/week. there is a post on looking for help putting up posters which are very good & show the effort some lads are making. can we get a few lads to help - all money goes to improving the team!

sligofan4ever
10/05/2009, 9:21 PM
I was more embarrassed at the final whistle than angry as somebody else said you would think they would want to do it for themselves at least !

By the way whats the story with Holmes?

He broke his nose in a match recently I think so i would presume thats whats keeping him out, and his partner gave birth to a child recently aswell which was why he wasn't playing on Monday.

Rovers1
10/05/2009, 9:36 PM
which was why he wasn't playing on Monday.

Forgive if wrong, but i thought i saw Shaun on the pitch Monday????:confused:

MMVIII
10/05/2009, 9:52 PM
Holmes was playing on Monday. ;)

Red Star
10/05/2009, 10:10 PM
Thank god I missed this game I don’t think I’ll be recording MNS either:(

sligofan4ever
10/05/2009, 10:13 PM
sorry, my mistake. Well I don't know why he was out then, presume it was injury in training or something like that. I see alot of ye are sticking by Parkhouse, but I for one don't see him doing anything great for us, as I said before he has height but how often does he use it ? I was never confident about him when he joined us, but I suppose hes only played 5 full games for us so its still a bit early to judge. Its all down to wheter he can get into shape too. I'm surprised Shaun Holmes was a scapegoat for some fans, I always taught he was one of our beter signings, always gave his best apart from the televised game against Shams.

rovers100%
10/05/2009, 10:47 PM
we should def give parkhouse more time, i dont think myself he is up to much but way to early to tell with being out injured and fitness levels. the big question is who comes in....... our squad is too small for all the games we will compete in this season but what will finances allow in transfer window ? another fund raiser on the horizon ??? whats other answer is there !!! i will contribute but there is a recession in the country and i earn my money the hard way and giving it to rovers players who will not give 100% for 90 odd minutes has me questioning my sanity lol. as for critising the players i dont do it at matches but surely here is the place to disect the games and share our professional armchair opinions lol. im sure we all in the same boat it kills us all to watch the dire performances this season. 2 good games so far is not good enough, last year we dreamed of europe hopefully we will not do a longford

Red&White Rover
10/05/2009, 10:50 PM
sorry, my mistake. Well I don't know why he was out then, presume it was injury in training or something like that. I see alot of ye are sticking by Parkhouse, but I for one don't see him doing anything great for us, as I said before he has height but how often does he use it ? I was never confident about him when he joined us, but I suppose hes only played 5 full games for us so its still a bit early to judge. Its all down to wheter he can get into shape too. I'm surprised Shaun Holmes was a scapegoat for some fans, I always taught he was one of our beter signings, always gave his best apart from the televised game against Shams.

he hasn't played 5 full games, in fact I don't think he's even completed a game for us yet.

We all knew what type of player Parkhouse was. He's not going to magically change overnight just because he's signed for Rovers. He is a big awkward centre forward, and his presence alone is there to disrupt defenders. that's his job, his style, like it or not.

TBH the fact your questioning fans for "sticking" by a player is a joke. Would you rather we all hurled abuse at him and called him ****e and all the names under the sun? What would that achieve?

srfc1928
10/05/2009, 11:30 PM
This has been bugging me for a while.
We have players who have played in the English premiership, championship etc.and one who has been transferred from one club to another for over a half a million pounds sterling in the past. Surely these guys owe it to themselves to give more effort, they obviously have bags full of ability and talent. But at the moment we are lacking big time in every area of the game, the players don’t seem focused, a huge part of any sport is psychological, we go a goal down the heads go down.
They are all young men and one good season could see them get a move back across the water, which I assume is what most of them would wish.
Or even just to be remembered or talked about as being a good player rather than one who just went through the motions, what a waste of talent and opportunity they have been given if the later is the case.
Being realistic I don’t expect them to kiss the crest when they score a goal or anything like that, they play the game for the money and that’s ok.
Take Shane Robinson for example, a player labeled a mercenary by many because of the Drogheda fiasco, he tore us apart last night, he showed comitment, passion and energy to name a few, but did the Waterford native do it for the love of shamrock rovers, I doubt it but he obviously has pride in his performance and wants to better himself.

As said already some of our lads should take a look at themselves and appreciate what they have, most of us would give our right arm to be in their position.

dublinred
11/05/2009, 9:49 AM
First home game I got to in a while and it was very dissapointing , stupid playing Cash on the left as he can't beat defenders and get crosses in. Shams looked a lot sharper and it seemed like they had an extra man in the first half was very impressed by their movement , pointless hitting aerial balls to Boc and raf as they just kept coming back I think both of them need to time their runs a bit better as they are too fast for most linesman in this league ironically most times they are onside when the ball is hit but they are so fast off the mark it looks like they are yards offside when the ball reaches them. Can't understand why people are so harsh on Parkhouse he came on after the damage was done very little mention of the stupid rooney style flick by O'Grady which will incur a 3 match ban for a straight red , going to be an uphill battle now to avoid a relegation dogfight need to get stuck in and show a bit more commitment.

blackholesun
11/05/2009, 10:49 PM
great footage of the game

http://vimeo.com/4598397?pg=embed&sec=

bhs