PDA

View Full Version : Do The Powers That Be Read Foot.ie ?

ShnaeGuevara715
07/05/2009, 8:43 PM
Hmm, that rhymes.

Every other day folk post up new ideas on league structure etc on everything from academies, to cup competitions, leagues and so on. Infact it seems its the only purpose some people are here..!

I've only been on foot.ie for about 2 years, but is there any indication that They have ever read the articles/nicked the good ideas? Have to admit this place has a massive ideas turnover, has to be a diamond in the rough somewhere that Abbotstown couldn't resist nabbing in the past?

niallsparky
07/05/2009, 8:49 PM
I would assume that they have somebody that would have the odd look around here. In fact I'd be pretty surprised if they didn't.

pól-dcfc
07/05/2009, 8:54 PM
I think it would be severe neglect if they didn't have someone having a look around here. It's the one place to find a group of usually very committed fans of a diverse range of clubs in the same place at the same time.

billybunter
07/05/2009, 9:06 PM
I can tell you for a fact they do. About 6 years I made a post on a football website about the shop (or lack there of) on the FAI website. And lo and behold, 6 years later its only a few weeks from opening. So keep those idea's coming!!

holidaysong
07/05/2009, 9:11 PM
Hopefully they didn't read any of CelticTiger's suggestions..

pineapple stu
08/05/2009, 8:35 AM
I was in a few meetings with the FAI a while back (the NLSA thing), and one of the things that came up was asking us to try and stop people posting so many negative things about the FAI on here. They're fairly conscious of the amount of bad press on here, it seems (more so than is sensible really).

bennocelt
08/05/2009, 8:50 AM
I was in a few meetings with the FAI a while back (the NLSA thing), and one of the things that came up was asking us to try and stop people posting so many negative things about the FAI on here. They're fairly conscious of the amount of bad press on here, it seems (more so than is sensible really).

wow interesting, thats good to know:p

Monkfish
08/05/2009, 8:52 AM
Hopefully they didn't read any of CelticTiger's suggestions..

Hopefully they dont stray into the Off Topic section or we'll all be dismissed as a shower of weirdo loser types. :o

Dodge
08/05/2009, 8:54 AM
Hopefully they dont stray into the Off Topic section or we'll all be dismissed as a shower of weirdo loser types. :o

They all support Liverpool or man utd, they already think we're weirdo loser types

pól-dcfc
08/05/2009, 9:11 AM
try and stop people posting so many negative things about the FAI on here.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/66/Adolf_Hitler-1933.jpg/225px-Adolf_Hitler-1933.jpg

Pineapple Ztu, ve must make zem comply mit our vishes!

If they want people to stop criticising them they should get their act together.

Longfordian
08/05/2009, 9:40 AM
I know from personal experience that they're very aware of what goes up on here and quite likely to try and find out who put it up. A few other members have similar stories I believe.

John83
08/05/2009, 11:54 AM
If they want people to stop criticising them they should get their act together.
Yeah, that's part of it.

Thing is, even if they were running things very well, they'd still get heaps of abuse over any tiny thing that went wrong, or was perceived to be wrong.

Also, there's a tendency to become institutionalised in a place like that - even fair, valid ciriticism is seen as an unreasonable attack on you and the people you work with.

Besides, I'm sure at least half the stuff we get aggitated about is just plain wrong (rumours, misinterpretations, spin from some ****ed off manager or chairman), and it must be galling for them to take stick over that.

But yeah, as long as there are clubs being denied a licence over the colour of pen used, and other clubs being given one in spite of not having the resources to last half a season, they'll get hassle here.

eamo1
08/05/2009, 12:31 PM
Nick Leeson at a Galway Utd fans forum asked the fans to not post most of what was discussed up on our unoffical site M.B.Didnt the Drogs Chairman(name escapes me) make a similar plea to their fans too a few months ago??My point being that the "they"(FAI Board etc) might not be much aware of fans on the net but Chairmen seem to be.

pól-dcfc
08/05/2009, 12:33 PM
Yeah, that's part of it.

Thing is, even if they were running things very well, they'd still get heaps of abuse over any tiny thing that went wrong, or was perceived to be wrong.

Also, there's a tendency to become institutionalised in a place like that - even fair, valid ciriticism is seen as an unreasonable attack on you and the people you work with.

Besides, I'm sure at least half the stuff we get aggitated about is just plain wrong (rumours, misinterpretations, spin from some ****ed off manager or chairman), and it must be galling for them to take stick over that.

But yeah, as long as there are clubs being denied a licence over the colour of pen used, and other clubs being given one in spite of not having the resources to last half a season, they'll get hassle here.

Every organisation in the world has to put up with unwarranted stick. To be perfectly fair, the FAI haven't covered themselves in glory. True, they arranged MNS for us. Yeah, advertising has got slightly better. But the licensing has been a farce, and that's the one thing (ok, it's a series of loads of smaller things) that could actually make the league a bit more popular.

Until they make clubs stick to their commitments, particularly in relation to stadia, they will be criticised. Asking a member to try and stop people outlining their gripes on a forum isn't on.

John83
08/05/2009, 12:49 PM
Every organisation in the world has to put up with unwarranted stick. To be perfectly fair, the FAI haven't covered themselves in glory. True, they arranged MNS for us. Yeah, advertising has got slightly better. But the licensing has been a farce, and that's the one thing (ok, it's a series of loads of smaller things) that could actually make the league a bit more popular.

Until they make clubs stick to their commitments, particularly in relation to stadia, they will be criticised.
Yeah, I don't disagree with you on any of that.

I still hold some (possibly naive) hope that licensing will gradually come good, that Bohs are the last club with a rotten financial basis, and that we'll eventually have a league where I would be genuinely surprised to hear that some players weren't paid this month, but every new financial crisis eats away at that. I don't trust them when they say that things are improving. The FAI's attitude has long seemed to be that if no one hears about it, it's not a problem. Which leads us neatly to...

Asking a member to try and stop people outlining their gripes on a forum isn't on.
Yeah. They want us to shut up and trust them, but they rarely give us any reason to trust them.

passerrby
08/05/2009, 12:50 PM
I would say its more important to make clubs live up to the financial committments than anything else, espically wages, tranfers and general spending

John83
08/05/2009, 12:55 PM
I would say its more important to make clubs live up to the financial committments than anything else, espically wages, tranfers and general spending
Except that they have a habit of making committments they can't keep. But yeah, good financial management is the right thing to emphasise. You can build on that.

Bald Student
08/05/2009, 12:59 PM
The FAI banned STIG from being sold in Belfield Park because we published an article implying that Shels were in financial trouble.

passerrby
08/05/2009, 1:05 PM
The FAI banned STIG from being sold in Belfield Park because we published an article implying that Shels were in financial trouble.

well there ya go writing such rubbish .shels in trouble whoever heard the like, they must have been scarlet when it didnt come true

Bald Student
08/05/2009, 1:10 PM
For the sake of reminiscing, here's the cover of the article.

Candystripe
08/05/2009, 1:12 PM

Should that not of read........"Ollie Byrne told the FAI to ban STIG from being sold in Belfield Park because we published an article implying that Shels were in financial trouble"?

Longfordian
08/05/2009, 1:16 PM
Would it not have been that the article dared to question the FAI not doing anything to prevent said trouble?.

Bald Student
08/05/2009, 1:19 PM
Would it not have been that the article dared to question the FAI not doing anything to prevent said trouble?.

To be honest, STIG went through a Shels obsessed faze where we had something on them in most issues.

pineapple stu
08/05/2009, 1:30 PM
Should that not of read........"Ollie Byrne told the FAI to ban STIG from being sold in Belfield Park because we published an article implying that Shels were in financial trouble"?
Very prescient of you; that's exactly what happened.

Ironically, Ollie never read the fanzine, as far as we can work out, but saw the front cover in the programme, where we used to carry a one page ad for STIG. Needless to say, that was also banned.

And I'm just waiting for Maribor's contribution to this thread...

pól-dcfc
08/05/2009, 1:37 PM
To be honest, STIG went through a Shels obsessed faze where we had something on them in most issues.

The whole league went through a Shels obsessed phase for a while, as we watched them rise and rise all the while knowing that they were millimetres from the massive crash.

thischarmingman
08/05/2009, 1:44 PM
The whole league went through a Shels obsessed phase for a while, as we watched them rise and rise all the while knowing that they were millimetres from the massive crash.

Thank God we've all learned that lesson.

pól-dcfc
08/05/2009, 1:54 PM
Thank God we've all learned that lesson.

:D

I hope to god Derry have anyway.

Hairy Bowsie
08/05/2009, 2:30 PM
The whole league went through a Shels obsessed phase for a while

I'll hold this thread up as proof that the "obsessed phase" you mention, isn't over :)

John83
08/05/2009, 2:35 PM
I seem to remember them denying that outright (though I forget when & where). It may be more accurate to say that UCD were leaned push STIG out the gate. Nothing on paper. Asses covered. :)

Hairy Bowsie
09/05/2009, 2:23 AM
It may be more accurate to say that UCD were leaned push STIG out the gate. Nothing on paper. Asses covered. :)

Exactly. So i trust you and your UCD cronies to take back your slanderous remarks about Ollir Byrne :D

Dodge
09/05/2009, 2:30 AM
Exactly. So i trust you and your UCD cronies to take back your slanderous remarks about Ollir Byrne

You can't slander a deadman

Hairy Bowsie
09/05/2009, 7:12 AM
Ha i barely remember posting that but i'm sure i left out a smilie anyway, i'll put it in now.

Martinho II
09/05/2009, 5:23 PM
I know from personal experience that longford towns players and management read whats discussed on our forum. our kitman posts on this forum.

Raheny Red
09/05/2009, 9:18 PM

All fanzines are banned from being sold in LoI grounds!

DmanDmythDledge
09/05/2009, 9:43 PM
All fanzines are banned from being sold in LoI grounds!
It was because of that.;)

stann
11/05/2009, 6:11 AM
Just as a bye-the-bye, is there a current STIG going to be available at the match Friday? And if so where will it be sold?

pineapple stu
11/05/2009, 8:37 AM
You want to check with Angus on that, the new editor in chief.