PDA

View Full Version : Reggae Boyz for Ireland?????

London Irish
04/01/2004, 6:35 PM
Apparently Jamaica are being lined up for the Feb friendly with the possibility of China in Mrach. See

http://www.soccercentral.ie/viewstory.asp?id=11745&mainheading=Other&viewstory=yes

Not wishing to be snobby –what I saw in Basel doesn’t allow one that pleasure - but shouldn’t we be looking for tougher quality opposition????

I’ll be there home and away regardless, but to get the buzz again before the Euro2004 hangover kicks off during the summer - we need top quality opposition gracing Lansdowne Road or at least a nice trip.

Perhaps the FAI need to be a bit more proactive in setting friendlies - England have managed to get two set up pretty quickly (Portugal and Sweden I seem to recall). What about a top class side – Argentina and Brazil have plenty of European based players and might fancy a game in Dublin. We also seemed to get ‘lumbered’ with the Canada game which was announced at very short notice. We should be attractive opponents given recent FIFA ranking, premiership influence and away from home our huge and brilliant support.

Erin Go Bragh

Jon'o
04/01/2004, 9:24 PM
i saw the brazil v Jamaica game which was played at the walkers stadium at the begining of this season. brazil put out a strong side and jamaica were not the turn overs everone were expecting.

they had quite a strong side and while they might considered at the same level as the canada game i think that it will be good to see some of the younger team comming through. at least they will be tested

as long as we dont book a row of games at the same level then we will be fine. after all the world cup qualifyers wont start to september or october.

picking first teamers during this time in the season never goes down well but the more games that the up and comming players get then all the better.

Jon'o
04/01/2004, 9:27 PM
thinking about it brazil were happy to play Jamaica this season so why not us too? :p

dont know unless you ask :D :D

tiktok
05/01/2004, 8:08 AM
Neither Jamaica nor China will be easy, but a strong european team would provide better preparation for the WC qualifiers, and probably draw a better crowd at landsdowne.
Can't see either of these being much more attractive than the Canada fixture.

pineapple stu
05/01/2004, 12:35 PM
Maybe the FAI can't afford anyone better? Either through being broke or through saving for a new ground?

Just a theory...

gspain
05/01/2004, 12:53 PM
It is down to money.

These countries will come cheap - probably just for expenses.

We get decent crowds so the F.A.I. make loads of money. Decent tv fee from Sky too for home games.

Brazil, Italy et al have big guarantees for a friendly fixture and we'd make less on them even with a full house.

The likes of denamrk et al would probably not attract a lot more fans and would cost more money.

I understand we actually owe Denmarkand maybe a couple of others a friendly fixture in return for their visits to Dublin.

Obviously I'd love to see Italy et al coming here for friendlies but can't see it happening. Still I'm just hoping that France are coming here.

pineapple stu
05/01/2004, 12:55 PM
A friendly against Wales could be interesting... Cheap enough, big interest and a tough test.

There's also an article on the website about a friendly in Croatia in August.

Pogsly
05/01/2004, 1:28 PM
The trip to Croatia would tie in nicely with a two week holiday in Dubrovnik . Sweet ...

derm
05/01/2004, 3:00 PM
I second that suggestion on Wales, they caught a lot of people's attention during Euro qualifiers and would be tougher test than Jamaica (I would think!)

Footie_Fan
06/01/2004, 9:49 AM
We should be playing better quality opposition regardless of money issues. It is a self liquidating investment by playing better teams now at higher price because by doing this we are increasing our standard and thus increasing our chances of earning in the future i.e. a big financial windfall at the next World Cup.

Peadar
06/01/2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by gspain
It is down to money.

I think there's more to it than not being able to afford "quality" opposition. Many teams participating in the Euro Championships wont want to travel which means Ireland would have to travel to them and only pick up expenses.
If we get teams to come here, we pay their expenses and keep the money from the gate, TV etc.
It can't be easy to attract teams to Ireland when we're not going to feature in this summers main event.

Declan_Michael
06/01/2004, 1:13 PM
China & Jamaica.

On cold, dark and wet Wednesday evenings do you seriously think 35,000 will turn up?

Jon'o
12/01/2004, 7:51 PM
Originally posted by Jon'o
thinking about it brazil were happy to play Jamaica this season so why not us too? :p

dont know unless you ask :D :D

SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU KEEP YOU YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!! :D

tiktok
12/01/2004, 9:03 PM
Originally posted by Jon'o

Here Jon'o, could you recommend six random numbers for the lotto on wednesday:D