PDA

View Full Version : Dublin South Byelection

Ringo
05/05/2009, 6:28 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0505/1224245943455.html

I think its wrong for Media analysts’ to run for any political party. It brings into question George Lees impartiality in the past. :confused:

Macy
05/05/2009, 9:11 AM
If anything he's been soft on the Government - in line with RTE policy. But which came first - the rumour he was running, or his apparent censorship in RTE (he's made comments on air about people having to be careful about they say if they want to stay working for RTE).

pete
05/05/2009, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't have a problem with his impatiality up to now however if he runs as a candidate & loses them he would have to give up his RTE job. In fact by just declaring himself as a candidate he would have to resign from RTE.

Ringo
05/05/2009, 12:04 PM
RTÉ's Lee stands for FG in Dublin South
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0505/finegael.html

There are already two sitting Fine Gael TDs in Alan Shatter and Olivia Mitchell in a constituency that has traditionally been volatile and hotly contested.

Win a seat in the by-election & loose it at the nexrt General.

Macy
05/05/2009, 1:29 PM
Anyone hear the News at One? O'Rourke going on about Lee threatening RTE impartiality. You couldn't make it up, considering the pro-FF bias of the station. It might as well have been PJ Mara himself interviewing Lee...

mypost
05/05/2009, 1:45 PM
The people are not exactly "impartial" towards the government at the moment, so there's nothing wrong with him standing.

Martin Bell stood for Labour and won a seat in the UK election in 1997, but I can't see Lee winning DS.

Bald Student
05/05/2009, 2:26 PM
But which came first - the rumour he was running, or his apparent censorship in RTE (he's made comments on air about people having to be careful about they say if they want to stay working for RTE).
The rumours he was running came first and since he was in talks with FG, it was correct for RTE to keep him on a tight leash.

Macy
05/05/2009, 2:33 PM
it was correct for RTE to keep him on a tight leash.
If they were consistent maybe. When can we expect RTE to do the same to O'Callaghan and Turbidy et al? I mean, ffs they let O'Callaghan chair the leaders debate when her brother was an FF candidate!

Bald Student
05/05/2009, 2:44 PM
If they were consistent maybe. When can we expect RTE to do the same to O'Callaghan and Turbidy et al? I mean, ffs they let O'Callaghan chair the leaders debate when her brother was an FF candidate!

The difference between Lee and Miriam is that he was accounting for his own actions, not his brothers.

pete
05/05/2009, 3:12 PM
Now that he is officially a candidate he should resign his RTE job as he cannot continue.

FF candidate not decided yet...

From irish Times

Fianna Fáil will also hold a selection convention in the constituency tomorrow night with Shay Brennan, son of the late Séamus Brennan, the favourite to get the nomination ahead of Senator Maria Corrigan.

Mr Brennan, who works with Anglo Irish Bank, had been reluctant to run because of the controversy over the bank but has had a change of heart in recent times.

Picking an Anglo Irish Bank employee as a political candidate is surely insane? Even putting bank employee on the election ballot isn't going to exactly gain votes for him. :eek:

Schumi
05/05/2009, 3:19 PM
Any FF candidate will have a very difficult job to get elected. Seamus Brennan's son has a better chance than most.

Longfordian
05/05/2009, 3:23 PM
They're a very well known family in the area and Seamus Brennan was very popular there. I know some of the family and apparently Shay Brennan wasn't all that enthused about running until recently, the Fianna Fail organisation must have worked hard on him. It'll be tough but he would have a chance.

Macy
05/05/2009, 3:58 PM
The difference between Lee and Miriam is that he was accounting for his own actions, not his brothers

It's the usual story in this country, nothing wrong with a bit of political bias, once it's pro-FF. I personally would've said that Lee has been soft on the Government in recent times, and anything critical would stand up to scrutinity.

Now that he is officially a candidate he should resign his RTE job as he cannot continue.

He's taking a leave of absence.

On the actual ballot, could be interesting, and whilst I'd have Lee as favourite because of his profile, Brennan's transfers may still be enough to push White over the line.

Bald Student
05/05/2009, 4:05 PM
It's the usual story in this country, nothing wrong with a bit of political bias, once it's pro-FF. I personally would've said that Lee has been soft on the Government in recent times, and anything critical would stand up to scrutiny.I don't want to pick a fight Macy but you're reading your own opinions into what I wrote.

mypost
05/05/2009, 4:08 PM
When McAleese was a RTE tv reporter, did she resign from the FF party? No, she won their nomination for President instead.

pete
05/05/2009, 4:14 PM
On the actual ballot, could be interesting, and whilst I'd have Lee as favourite because of his profile, Brennan's transfers may still be enough to push White over the line.

Who is White? Haven't seen that name mentioned.

I don't know anything about Brennan junior but surely he hasn't got much to offer on his CV besides hsi fathers legacy? That said for all our bitching Irish voters will more than likely vote on that basis.

Bald Student
05/05/2009, 4:23 PM
Who is White? Haven't seen that name mentioned.White's the Labour guy. He was in the last general election.

When McAleese was a RTE tv reporter, did she resign from the FF party? No, she won their nomination for President instead.

The constitution requires presidential candidates to resign from their jobs so I'm reasonable sure you're wrong on this point.

mypost
05/05/2009, 4:43 PM
It is nearly 30 years since she was working for RTE, but she got elected for FF a few years later, and was their candidate for the Presidential election in 97.

OneRedArmy
05/05/2009, 4:58 PM
Blindly electing progeny and siblings is yet another example of the unreconstructed tribalism of politics in this country.

On Lee, there really should be a cooling off period between people leaving the state broadcaster and running for office.

The potential for conflicts of interest are huge. It's irrelevant whether they actually exist.

Mr A
05/05/2009, 5:14 PM
This is all very interesting. One of the reasons I see that Bruton has not been party leader is that there was no obvious person to credibly replace him in the finance department.

With Lee aboard, that wouldn't be the case any more.

He is now on unpaid leave from RTE and I assume even if not elected will not be able to return to the newsroom. If that's the case then I applaud his willingness to attempt to make a difference at risk of his own interests.

MariborKev
05/05/2009, 5:34 PM
Martin Bell stood for Labour and won a seat in the UK election in 1997, but I can't see Lee winning DS.

No he didn't. He ran as an independent against the Hamiltons(Tories) in 97. In saying that, I reckon Slobodan Milosevic would have had a shout at that seat, so reviled were the incumbents.

Personally I have no problem with Lee running for it, though it sounds from the soundbytes as if he has been promised something if he can win the seat.

mypost
05/05/2009, 6:06 PM
Personally, while I would like to see him elected, he hasn't a hope. It'll be between Brennan or White.

Ringo
06/05/2009, 6:33 AM
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fury-at-lee-coup-by-fg-as-cowen-faces-poll-hit-1729632.html

Mr Lee only told his immediate bosses at 12.30pm -- immediately before going on RTE Radio 1's 'News at One' -- where he was tackled by presenter Sean O'Rourke as to whether he had been completely open on the matter.

Mr Lee said he had only seriously been considering a run since the emergency Budget. "Until this week there was nothing to know. I don't need you or anybody else in RTE to tell me what my future is," he said.

Mr Lee challenged his listeners to find any bias in his work over the years, and also revealed:

•He expects never to return to RTE, despite officially taking leave of absence;
•He was initially approached up to two months ago;
•He considered running for FG in 2002, but wasn't asked in 2007;
•He has done 'no deal' with FG for a frontbench position if he wins the seat.

Fine Gael's hierarchy was confidently predicting for the past month that they had a high-profile candidate from outside the party ready to be announced. But rather than being confronted by RTE about widespread rumours, Mr Lee continued to comment on the Government's economic policies. During this time, Mr Lee analysed the emergency Budget, discussed the setting up of NAMA and presented a programme called 'How we Blew the Boom'.

Fianna Fail sources were angered by RTE management's handling of the situation and for allowing Mr Lee continued airtime instead of so-called "gardening leave".

A Fianna Fail backbencher claimed RTE had been misled over Mr Lee's intentions. Chris Andrews said RTE had issued statements denying Mr Lee was to pursue a political career

I would question Lee's judgement in going for this.

bennocelt
06/05/2009, 6:54 AM
Could be worse, at least he isnt running for FF:)

Mr A
06/05/2009, 8:12 AM
What the hell are FF complaining about? Can they point to anything the man said that was unfair? If anything they were given a soft ride FFS.

Personally, I think it's a healthy thing that a well qualified and respected individual would want to get involved in politics at a time like this, even if I have no love of FG.

Macy
06/05/2009, 8:33 AM
I don't want to pick a fight Macy but you're reading your own opinions into what I wrote.
:o Probably - I was, and still am getting annoyed with the accusations of bias against Lee/ RTE, whilst the organisation is nothing but a Government mouthpiece. Are we even a month since the debacle over the Cowen paintings, and RTE's complete lack of coverage of the raids of radio stations and the like? FF sent people on the Last Word last night looking for proper implementation of the Broadcasting Act - we can but hope, but we know they don't really mean it!

Who is White? Haven't seen that name mentioned.
He's come close the last two General Elections, and was the clear favourite before this annoucement.

I would question Lee's judgement in going for this
I don't mind a purge on political bias in RTE, but it has to be complete, not just on none FF people.

First
06/05/2009, 9:19 AM
I can't see George Lee getting elected , to me he is the poster child for doom and gloom , too many years of hearing him telling us that things are bad and getting worse. Doesn't matter that he was right, he just compounds the misery with the drone that is his voice. Yes I am that fickle as I am sure alot of the electorate are.

Mr A
06/05/2009, 10:12 AM
Dunno about that, the bookies have him at 1-2 on. His record of calling the economy right is in stark contrast to the government who have made a complete and utter balls of it. While the Labour candidate may well challenge I think FF are in for a good kicking.

That they are even considering fielding an Anglo Irish Bank employed dynastic candidate shows that they're in a heap of trouble here.

crc
06/05/2009, 10:17 AM
...too many years of hearing him telling us that things are bad and getting worse. Doesn't matter that he was right, he just compounds the misery with the drone that is his voice
I met some Americans in 2004 who were voting for George Bush "so that he would have to fix the all problems he made himself" - WTF(?)
You're the kind of berk who would have done that, and its the reason we have so many gombeens in politics.
Though I have never put FG high up the ballot in my life, I congratulate George Lee on the courage of his conviction and hope he does well; we need a lot more like him, not fewer.

pete
06/05/2009, 10:33 AM
Saw him on the news last night where he was saying it was time for people like himself to get involved. I think he is right & we need less career politicians. Could get more business people & other people from the real world into politics?

First
06/05/2009, 11:20 AM
I met some Americans in 2004 who were voting for George Bush "so that he would have to fix the all problems he made himself" - WTF(?)
You're the kind of berk who would have done that, and its the reason we have so many gombeens in politics.
Though I have never put FG high up the ballot in my life, I congratulate George Lee on the courage of his conviction and hope he does well; we need a lot more like him, not fewer.

You have no idea what I am like , berk or otherwise, liking me to the American electorate isn't appreciated either . Someone put the "gombeens" in government but it wasn't me. I use my vote as wisely as I can . George Lee has been the spokesman for RTE , whose agenda he has had to adhere to for years , now people are applauding him for his convictions, fair enough but my point is ,that to me even though he was correct about alot, his public personna is a proveyour of doom and gloom. Plus the fact he is running for FG , he will at least be in opposition until a general election where we will again hear his sound bites telling us the other lot are wrong , wrong , wrong . Christ we know they are wrong and have ballsed up everything. It will change nothing , FG were also looking at George Hook as a prospective candidate. Public image rather than political substance ( Is there such a thing in this country ). FF , FG , Labour , Green Party (FFS ) , Sinn Fein , Independants they are all the same , politics is politics , it's all the same , IMO , they are all in it to feather their own nests.

By the way do you vote Tory , Labour .............:p

MariborKev
06/05/2009, 11:41 AM
Saw him on the news last night where he was saying it was time for people like himself to get involved. I think he is right & we need less career politicians. Could get more business people & other people from the real world into politics?

Why would you Pete?

Anyone with any reasonable talent will earn far more in the private sector, and won't have to put up with the "Liveline Brigade".

Ringo
06/05/2009, 1:34 PM

Does he not just become a career politician , if he's giving up his job in RTE:confused:

A lot of politicians have come from the real world. Brian Cowan is a solicitor, Brian Lenihan is a Baristor, doesn't make them any better at running the country.

pete
06/05/2009, 1:42 PM
Does he not just become a career politician , if he's giving up his job in RTE:confused:

A lot of politicians have come from the real world. Brian Cowan is a solicitor, Brian Lenihan is a Baristor, doesn't make them any better at running the country.

I mean less barristers/solicitor & teachers as we have enough of them already.

Ringo
06/05/2009, 4:31 PM

And Economist's:p

OneRedArmy
06/05/2009, 6:04 PM

That's a very valid point Pete. We desperately need more diversity in our political representation, regardless of actual political views.

God help mr for saying this, but people like Kathy Sinnott, Lee and those from outside the old political family structure are good for politics.

On Lee'schance of winning, all the risk in is winning the by-election. I would almost guarantee he has an agreement that one of the incumbents FG TDs will be shifted to a marginal constituency at the next general election.

tiktok
06/05/2009, 6:10 PM
This is all very interesting. One of the reasons I see that Bruton has not been party leader is that there was no obvious person to credibly replace him in the finance department.

With Lee aboard, that wouldn't be the case any more.

I think this may have had a huge bearing on the party's thinking to be honest.
If the local and European Elections don't go brilliantly for Enda, he may come under pressure to step down.

TonyD
06/05/2009, 9:15 PM

He's not though. Taking a leave of absence. Don't think he should have that option to be honest. If he doesn't get elected, what then ? How can he go back on TV ? Talk of him going back to RTE to lick stamps is patent nonsense. I know of one case of a civil servant who ran for the PDs. She had to resign, and then didn't get elected (I don't feel too sorry for her - it was the PD's after all:D)

Ringo
07/05/2009, 5:46 AM
Former RTÉ economics editor George Lee was formally confirmed as the Fine Gael candidate for Dublin South at their selection convention for the constituency last night.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/0507/1224246059470.html

Macy
07/05/2009, 7:39 AM
He's not though. Taking a leave of absence. Don't think he should have that option to be honest.
He doesn't reckon he'll be back either way. It could be a way around notice periods (certainly it's the mechanism used here to get around the 3 month notice period).

Being a former political candidate and party strategist doesn't seem to effect Noel Whelan - he's normally introduced simply as a "Political Analyst" as though he's independent/ non-aligned, rather than a former FF candidate and former FF internal strategist.

pete
07/05/2009, 9:22 PM
Paddy Power Odds

George Lee 1/10
Alex White 9/2
Shay Brennan 10/1
Elizabeth Davidson 33/1
Ross O'Mullane 80/1
Shaun Tracey 100/1