PDA

View Full Version : Keith Fahey

Umberside
03/05/2009, 2:11 PM
With another goal today added to three already scored, plus being a regular in the Birmingham City team, will Keith Fahey succeed in the Premier League?

irishultra
03/05/2009, 2:15 PM
Yes. He should find it easier there too. He's too light for the Championship but it was probably a good education for him.

OneRedArmy
03/05/2009, 2:18 PM
Rolls eyes.

Given up on Cork have you?

Dave77
04/05/2009, 2:56 AM
hope he makes it in the EPL but dont know of i could take it because of the way the english commentators pronounce fahey.

A face
04/05/2009, 9:31 AM
dont know of i could take it because of the way the english commentators pronounce fahey.

Why, how do they pronounce it?

longfordjames
04/05/2009, 9:57 AM
Faw he

brianw82
04/05/2009, 10:11 AM
Like Andy Key-oh and Ken Dough-herty

Sheridan
04/05/2009, 10:28 AM
There's no reason they should be able to pronounce those names. The hard h following a vowel has been rightly eliminated from English pronunciation because it sounds harsh and inelegant.

osarusan
04/05/2009, 10:44 AM
There's no reason they should be able to pronounce those names.

There is every reason they should be able to pronounce his name correctly. There is no missing phoneme in British English that exists in Irish English that stops them from pronouncing it correctly. It is just a matter of bothering to out how his name is pronounced, rather than just assuming that it will be pronounced the rule about a "hard h following a vowel" is the same in Ireland as in England.

kingdomkerry
04/05/2009, 12:46 PM
How much did pats get for fahy?

Saint_Charlie
04/05/2009, 12:50 PM
How much did pats get for fahy?

400k I think.

Now he's been promoted we are supposed to be getting between 50 - 300k depending were you read.

irishultra
04/05/2009, 1:18 PM
any chance you could invest in a replacement with that money? when he was leaving he did an interview with pat's tv and he mentioned that you might go 'further afield' or something to get a replacement for him.

Umberside
04/05/2009, 1:53 PM
I thought they said when he signed that it was 400k first and then a total of 700k depending on promotion and appearances. Pats will certainly get the 700k now.

pól-dcfc
04/05/2009, 2:06 PM
There's no reason they should be able to pronounce those names. The hard h following a vowel has been rightly eliminated from English pronunciation because it sounds harsh and inelegant.

Holy Mary... That's the ****test post on his forum. I have a fair few English mates from my time living there, and after an initial correction they can all pronounce Keogh, Fahey and Doherty.

WexCar
04/05/2009, 3:31 PM
its like when Darius Vassell came on the scene, everyone was pronouncing Darius wrong, so he just came out and let it be known how to pronounce it correctly.

DmanDmythDledge
04/05/2009, 3:32 PM
It was pronounced right yesterday so no big deal anymore. Not that it ever should have been a big deal.

Sheridan
04/05/2009, 3:54 PM
His named is Anglicised, therefore it observes the norms of English pronunciation. If it was in a foreign language it would be a different matter.

irishultra
04/05/2009, 4:06 PM
As in if he had the Irish surname of O'Fathaigh then they would have a case to answer but since we use their language I guess they can dictate hows its pronounced.

Saint_Charlie
04/05/2009, 4:16 PM
any chance you could invest in a replacement with that money? when he was leaving he did an interview with pat's tv and he mentioned that you might go 'further afield' or something to get a replacement for him.

I highly doubt it. We're pinching the pennies all over the shop at the minute so I doubt we'll splash out.

osarusan
04/05/2009, 9:35 PM
His named is Anglicised, therefore it observes the norms of English pronunciation.
I don't mean to harp on about this (non) issue, but I have to point out that this is just wrong. There are no universal "norms of English pronunciation", and if there were, Fahey, as an example of Hiberno-English, would follow the norms of that dialect.

The norms of English pronunciation in Hiberno English means his name is pronounced with "æ" as the vowel sound in Fahey, not "eɪ" or "ɑː".

Scrufil
04/05/2009, 10:11 PM
Recently RTÉ have gone about changing how all the words are pronounced on their broadcasts. Some of it is laughable. The HSE is now the 'Atch S E and the letters RTÉ should sound the same in both English and Irish but some Irish language presenters think the last letter in RTÉ is a word and have taken to calling it RTA - as in using the word é. Not much use worrying about the English way of saying things when we have a National broadcaster like RTÉ mucking everything up.

magnumpi
05/05/2009, 10:05 AM
sorry, but the mispronunciation really annoys me. as someone with an irish name living in england i've got used to hearing the terrible pronunciations, but hearing Faaar-hay again and again really annoyed me. as it did with Mark Kin-seller and Andy Key-o.

i don't think its being too particular to have someone point it out to the commentators how to say someones name, its just common courtesy.

pete
05/05/2009, 10:17 AM
Pronounciation is a non-issue. That is the way english people pronounce A as in soft vowel. In Ireland it is a hard vowel.

Seen bits of Fahey in other Birmingham games but he didn't feature too much - i think it was games they had player sent off. Seen him yesterday & he did very well. He had a great where he setup Phillips who wasted the chance. Will be interesting to see if he he bulks up in the summer. Given some of the players that Fahey is keeping on the Birmingham bench he has a good chance of playing in the Premier League.