PDA

View Full Version : Celtic OK to Ireland

tiktok
02/01/2004, 12:29 PM
Celtic have granted Ireland permission to use their ground for World Cup 2006 qualifiers, according to www.rte.ie:

A step in the wrong direction????

Gary
02/01/2004, 2:15 PM
Originally posted by tiktok

A step in the wrong direction????

A step???? That would be an entire facking leap in the wrong direction.

But then, is anyone that surprised? The FAI is, afterall, a pathetic excuse for an organisation. How many times have we been promised a proper stadium for 'soccer'. By my reckoning its been that way since 1988, 16 bloody years ago.

For us to play our home fixtures in Britain (last time i checked, thats where Celtic play) is an insult to every Irish person, not too mention the football fans.

Declan_Michael
02/01/2004, 2:25 PM
It's a sad state of affairs to be in. IMO the only solution is opening up Croke Park.

How could you justify building a 60,000 capacity soccer stadium from scratch?

Dublin is too small to justify two huge stadiums.

If the Celtic thing is true they (Celtic FC) have clearly seen the financial gain from hosting Ireland matchs.

Declan_Michael
02/01/2004, 2:28 PM
'Informal' discussions with Liverpool & Man Utd have also taken place.

NigeSausagepump
02/01/2004, 3:08 PM
Wonder if the FAI would be willing to approach Rangers for the use of Ibrox?:D

Apparently its closer to the airport in Glasgow than Parkhead and it has a higher UEFA stadium rating.

Might keep a whole lot of booing 'fans' away too.......although they'd probably start booing Ireland if they were the 'home' team at Ibrox!

:D

lopez
02/01/2004, 3:21 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
Wonder if the FAI would be willing to approach Rangers for the use of Ibrox?:D

Apparently its closer to the airport in Glasgow than Parkhead and it has a higher UEFA stadium rating.

Might keep a whole lot of booing 'fans' away too.......although they'd probably start booing Ireland if they were the 'home' team at Ibrox!

:D
Reckon Rangers would rent out the ground? Still like the idea of the ok2boo brigade implementing their 'ain't gonna play Hun city' policy even if that's wishful thinking.

Declan_Michael
02/01/2004, 3:27 PM
Is Celtic Park really advisable after a small minority of our 'fans' booed players with dubious links to Rangers at Lansdowne?

TheRealRovers
02/01/2004, 5:01 PM
If we do end up playing our games in a foreign country I think Park Head would be a bad move because I don't think Glasgow would be the safest city for 60,000 Irish fans

lopez
02/01/2004, 5:51 PM
Originally posted by TheRealRovers
If we do end up playing our games in a foreign country I think Park Head would be a bad move because I don't think Glasgow would be the safest city for 60,000 Irish fans
Personally, I reckon it won't take off. What happens when Ireland and Scotland both play at 'home'? It's gonna be madness. Police will block it if you are talking 60K.

Instead I want Luton Town's Kenilworth road instead. I've been told all by some bigot :eek: on a NI forum that the 'beggars' in my locality support the club. :rolleyes: More importantly it's twenty minutes by car from the house.:) BTW does anyone know how the club is doing? Do they play in the premiership?:D

Bosco
03/01/2004, 1:41 PM
Originally posted by lopez
Personally, I reckon it won't take off. What happens when Ireland and Scotland both play at 'home'?

Don't scotland play in hamden park

lopez
03/01/2004, 2:01 PM
And what city is Hampden Park in?:rolleyes:

Jon'o
03/01/2004, 5:29 PM
i remember from the ireland v scotland game last febuary that we were not made too welcome during our stay. being there on a regular basis wont be wise.

not only would it be a pain to get to im sure the ticket prices will go up to pay the rent.

going to any ground outside ireland is a huge mistake, the money made through international games (by irish businesses not just the fai) should be kept in ireland.

the gaa dont like the idea of football being played at croker but im sure they need the money. i wonder what would happen if the boot was on the other foot?

niamh
04/01/2004, 12:21 PM
Honestly I don't think it would be a good idea to play the Irish games in Glasgow...it's just asking for trouble on a regular basis. If Ireland have to play their games in Britain because the GAA won't open up Croke Park on a temporary basis, the government should find some guts for a fight and say tough. The govt have put money into the stadium. It would only be for a few matches.

tiktok
05/01/2004, 10:14 AM
Personally, I reckon it won't take off. What happens when Ireland and Scotland both play at 'home'?

According to an article today on www.rte.ie a scottish councillor has come out against Ireland playing at Parkhead for precisely that reason.

lopez
05/01/2004, 10:17 AM
According to an article today on www.rte.ie a scottish councillor has come out against Ireland playing at Parkhead for precisely that reason.
Did he have the, erm, 'good book' in his right hand when he was declaring his opposition?:eek:

So Kenilworth Road is back on?:D :D

tiktok
05/01/2004, 10:24 AM
Did he have the, erm, 'good book' in his right hand when he was declaring his opposition?:eek:

SHE didn't, although 'police concerns over sectarian tensions being exacerbated by Ireland playing at Parkhead' were also mentioned.

lopez
05/01/2004, 10:30 AM
SHE didn't, although 'police concerns over sectarian tensions being exacerbated by Ireland playing at Parkhead' were also mentioned.
If ONLY they learnt to live in peace. :( :( :(

Still there are loads of other grounds in Britain that can accomodate us so the suggestion of games in Britain hasn't gone away.:rolleyes:

gspain
06/01/2004, 7:08 AM
Originally posted by davros
The'sectarian'tensions would re-appear elsewhere.Parkhead is spiritually an Irish ground,& unlike the GAA,are Happy for us to play there(& acc.to my contact there,not just to facilitate the'biscuit-tin'agenda!).

I have no doub tthat Celtic Manyoo and Liverpool are genuine in their offers and it is also a case of helping out and not just about the money.

Glasgow city council are probably right. Why risk sectarian tension when there are other options? We could play in Liverpool or Manchester without any problems.

lopez
06/01/2004, 8:21 AM
Originally posted by gspain
Glasgow city council are probably right. Why risk sectarian tension when there are other options? We could play in Liverpool or Manchester without any problems.
...or Luton.;)

Jon'o
06/01/2004, 7:09 PM

So Kenilworth Road is back on?:D :D

Kenilworth road? i think the hockey stadium in milton keynes would be better....... we are used to playing home games in a ground with only two sides!!!!:D :D

Éanna
06/01/2004, 7:14 PM
Originally posted by davros
Parkhead is spiritually an Irish ground What? Was it built here and then shipped over or what?