PDA

View Full Version : My League of Ireland Idea

Iorfa2MaccaJim
30/04/2009, 7:57 PM
I was just thinking, wouldn't it be great if the F.A.I. were to expand the League of Ireland. Bring L.o.I. football to areas of the country that do not currently have a team. So that every single county in the country would have a team representing it in the League. Personally I think it would be a great idea to see the likes of Laoise, Roscommon, Tipperary, Clare ect, have a team in the league. I know these things take money and there is no money about at the minute, but, who knows. In an ideal world one if not all of these new countis (teams) need a Mick Wallace figure behind them. A man, who loves the sport, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is. There is no point in shooting me down and saying, that those kind of people are not out there. Nearly everyone in this country loves sport. I think only good things can be gained from it. By the way I almost forgot to mention, I think it is great to see the likes of F.C. Carlow, Castlebar Celtic, Tralee Dynamos, in the league. It prooves my point that it is great to vring a new sport to a differant part of the country.

What do ye think

Rovers1
30/04/2009, 8:03 PM
As with todays current LoI teams, would the interest in the areas you talk of be there?? A fan base etc. I doubt it.

thesilverfox
30/04/2009, 8:06 PM
i miss celtictiger.....

Iorfa2MaccaJim
30/04/2009, 8:13 PM
Rovers1 Wrote :

would the interest in the areas you talk of be there?? A fan base etc. I doubt it.

In my opinion, (with all due respect) a couple of years ago we could have been saying the same thing about the area of Wexford.

sheao
30/04/2009, 8:19 PM
I would love to see a league of ireland club in all parts of the country. It will take some time but hopefully one day this will eventually happen.

Dodge
30/04/2009, 8:20 PM
Rovers1 Wrote :

would the interest in the areas you talk of be there?? A fan base etc. I doubt it.

In my opinion, (with all due respect) a couple of years ago we could have been saying the same thing about the area of Wexford.

We're still sayng that.

The A league is there, and new teams have emerged naturally. Why try and force things?

peadar1987
30/04/2009, 10:17 PM
I think the FAI needs to take the initiative. If teams haven't sprung up in these areas in the last 100 years of Irish football, they're not highly likely to spring up now.

I'm not saying the FAI should directly set up clubs, but they should strongly encourage it, by offering expertise and financial support, helping find staff, organising marketing campaigns etc. in certain targeted areas like Portlaoise, Tipperary, Clare and Mullingar.

LeixlipRed
30/04/2009, 10:21 PM
Down with this sort of thing.

Iorfa2MaccaJim
30/04/2009, 10:25 PM
Carefull now.

RonnieB
30/04/2009, 10:25 PM
there is more interest in Longford from Roscommon people than the local fanbase these days sadly..

L.T.F.C.
30/04/2009, 10:27 PM
soccer wouldn't survive in kerry, and we all seen how it struggled in kilkenny. the gaa is too bleeding strong.

Mr Maroon
30/04/2009, 10:33 PM
Blah blah 16 team league... blah blah Kerry.... blah blah FAI... blah blah black sheep have you any wool

Does every user get one of these threads?

My idea would be: stop making the same thread every few days.

L.T.F.C.
30/04/2009, 10:38 PM
Blah blah 16 team league... blah blah Kerry.... blah blah FAI... blah blah black sheep have you any wool

Does every user get one of these threads?

My idea would be: stop making the same thread every few days.

shoo!

Guts&Glory
30/04/2009, 10:45 PM
I was just thinking, wouldn't it be great if the F.A.I. were to expand the League of Ireland. Bring L.o.I. football to areas of the country that do not currently have a team. So that every single county in the country would have a team representing it in the League. Personally I think it would be a great idea to see the likes of Laoise, Roscommon, Tipperary, Clare ect, have a team in the league. I know these things take money and there is no money about at the minute, but, who knows. In an ideal world one if not all of these new countis (teams) need a Mick Wallace figure behind them. A man, who loves the sport, and is willing to put his money where his mouth is. There is no point in shooting me down and saying, that those kind of people are not out there. Nearly everyone in this country loves sport. I think only good things can be gained from it. By the way I almost forgot to mention, I think it is great to see the likes of F.C. Carlow, Castlebar Celtic, Tralee Dynamos, in the league. It prooves my point that it is great to vring a new sport to a differant part of the country.

What do ye think

It doesn't prove your point at all have you even totted up the amount of clubs that have failed over the recent past? EMFA, Kilkenny, Cobh, Limerick at various times, lets be realistic if we consider the financial troubles of Bohs, Cork, Drogheda etc. there are few healthy teams at the moment.

You can offer as much expertise, advise and some financial support as you want (re the finance other clubs that are established LOI clubs wouldn't be impressed by if they werent getting some also as they would see that every club needs a help financially from the FAI).

As pointed out elsehwere the key is getting a stable fan base and local business support, none of the clubs you outlined in the A championship or indeed Mervue in Div 1 have a fan base and are realistically unlikely to develop one.

Can you see thousands attending a Dive A Championship game that isnt much better than a Leinster senior league level of football.? I dont think so.

At a trime when most people are reaching a consensus that a full time league in Ireland isnt feasible you want to increase the club numbers?!

thischarmingman
01/05/2009, 7:14 AM
I'm not saying the FAI should directly set up clubs, but they should strongly encourage it, by offering expertise and financial support, helping find staff, organising marketing campaigns etc.

I'm sorry, which FAI is this?

:confused:

ShnaeGuevara715
01/05/2009, 10:59 AM
*Facepalm*

rerun
01/05/2009, 12:59 PM

What do ye think

Definately a good idea, but to get the folks going to the games in these areas you'd need change a few rules, like maybe you can pick up the ball and solo it a few times, and sure just have one team per county. Might be a few good attendances in the summer if you had, say, a purpose built 82000 seat stadium in Dublin. Pie in the sky, but a good idea ;)