PDA

View Full Version : town sign new keeper

Martinho II
30/04/2009, 3:34 PM
I have just heard from an extremely reliable source ex athlone town ,waterford utd and cobh ramblers goalkeeper anthony fennelly has signed for us.I m not sure as of yet whether he is registered in time but its fantastic news. This lad played against us for Waterford Utd in the fai cup semi in 2000/01 and is highly experinenced.;)

sadloserkid
30/04/2009, 3:40 PM
The ;) makes me think you're probably joking but he is utterly, utterly crap and probably weighs as much as two Alan Goughs.

atfconline
30/04/2009, 3:46 PM
:D

That is all.

Massop 10
30/04/2009, 3:48 PM
It's great to see the club has now got a SOCCER keeper with experiance ! Who gives a damn if he is 20 stone as long as he can save a few shots and that the gaffer can do his job on the line !!!!! Although it is not good that it was let go this far into the season without cover in goals !

Longfordian
30/04/2009, 3:49 PM
Oh God.... Athlone fans must be loving this season so far. .

sadloserkid
30/04/2009, 3:56 PM
He's also ex-Limerick, Dundalk and Monaghan. And I think Kilkenny.

RonnieB
30/04/2009, 4:13 PM
The bigger the better, less room to get the ball into the net.

Battery Rover
30/04/2009, 4:22 PM
Oh God.... Athlone fans must be loving this season so far. .

Only a couple more and we will have our third eleven over there:D

Longfordian
30/04/2009, 4:28 PM
I must go looking for photos of 2000-2004 to cheer myself up a bit.

Tallanted
30/04/2009, 4:33 PM
This proves how stuck we are for a keeper, sad sad times.

Rocky77
30/04/2009, 4:40 PM
We'd have been better off bringing Jacko out of retirement

Tallanted
30/04/2009, 4:52 PM
He got the man of the match award against us in the 2 all draw in the cup for Athlone a couple of seasons ago and dropped the award after collecting it... there is a reason he didnt get a club this year

Martinho II
30/04/2009, 6:55 PM
The ;) makes me think you're probably joking but he is utterly, utterly crap and probably weighs as much as two Alan Goughs.

sorry sadloserkid I hit the wrong smilie it should have bein a smiley face!

Martinho II
30/04/2009, 6:57 PM
He got the man of the match award against us in the 2 all draw in the cup for Athlone a couple of seasons ago and dropped the award after collecting it... there is a reason he didnt get a club this year##

that must have bein the fai cup match in 2004.oh well will change the smilie to :(

L.T.F.C.
01/05/2009, 11:18 PM
keeper is cat.

Martinho II
04/05/2009, 5:44 PM
he is not bad though. ok he is out of shape but he is a damn fine shotstopper as we saw him the other nite..

Tallanted
04/05/2009, 6:48 PM
shotstoppin isnt all it takes to be a keeper theres so much more.. I think the comments from his previous clubs fans on the transfer forum says it all.. Just wonderin how many more athlone rejects will we sign in the transfer.. Kildare will be strong come june with the new manager able to make signings so if we havent pulled away from them by then i would really fear for us

L.T.F.C.
05/05/2009, 12:51 AM
he is not bad though. ok he is out of shape but he is a damn fine shotstopper as we saw him the other nite..

out of shape! Marty come hither! One save last friday and inept attacking with the other save does not make an okay keeper. He doesn't want to be there. when he came out against kilduff and kilduff beat him to the ball he jogged back to goal from the edge of the box. no effort made whatsoever, not even for his first game with the club. no mans land for their first goal. another prob is no sub - no competition for a place!

Martinho II
05/05/2009, 6:21 PM
out of shape! Marty come hither! One save last friday and inept attacking with the other save does not make an okay keeper. He doesn't want to be there. when he came out against kilduff and kilduff beat him to the ball he jogged back to goal from the edge of the box. no effort made whatsoever, not even for his first game with the club. no mans land for their first goal. another prob is no sub - no competition for a place!

i heard that fennelly is still living down in cork so I dont know how it will work with training. From what I gather I think its a short term signing until we get someelse better.

Massop 10
05/05/2009, 9:26 PM
This is starting to sound more and more like a non-league set-up every day !!! Actually you wouldn't even see it there ! Sign a keeper, get rid of him. Manager go in goal for a while and sign another keeper but only short term until a better one comes along AND have no sub keeper ! No wonder I have to listen to so many children slagging me about Longford Town !!!!!

Tallanted
06/05/2009, 8:57 AM
I hear Mickey Mouse is available on a free!

Longfordian
06/05/2009, 9:49 AM
It doesn't look great alright. The only thing is we can't sign anyone who's registered to played any sort of football this season until 31st May I believe which kind of limits our options. Why it's gotten to that stage is what you'd have to wonder about.

howsyourtouch
06/05/2009, 1:18 PM
obviouly someone in the club screwed up big time...

Rocky77
06/05/2009, 2:11 PM
Perhaps, but allowing the two registered keepers to leave and not being aware of the procedures in replacing them falls on the manager.

Whether Murphy was dodgy or not - and I've no idea what Nicholson was like - we've just lost seven in a row (five with the manager in goals) so things couldn't have been any worse if he had tried to reason and get at least one of them to stay.

Longfordian
06/05/2009, 2:21 PM
Agree with that. It was a bad situation to find ourselves in. Maybe we can do something about it in June or July but until then we're stuck with what we have which isn't great.

L.T.F.C.
06/05/2009, 3:01 PM
i don't think we have the worst team. we just make pathetic decisions in every corner of the pitch. fitness might also be a problem...

Tallanted
06/05/2009, 3:38 PM
Give it to the left full and let him smack it 60 yards up the pitch only for it to come straight back at us, thats the one thing that really frustrates me. When we have kept the ball down this season and played simple football it has worked and has been enjoyable to watch. Confidence is somthin we need to get back