PDA

View Full Version : 16 team premier article in the star!?

blackholesun
30/04/2009, 2:19 PM
Anyone else see the article in the star today about the league expanding back to a 16 team premier?

Personally Id favour an expanded league, if we are to grow the game in Ireland its pointless having teams struggling in the first division for years.

The ten team league was driving by greed by the likes of Ollie, Bohs, Cork and Derry who wanted more big games to cover the inflated wage bills.

bhs

eamo1
30/04/2009, 2:35 PM
Is it that time of the week already?The now seemingly weekly debate about a 10,16,20,276 team premier league.

Longfordian
30/04/2009, 2:40 PM
Is it that time of the week already?The now seemingly weekly debate about a 10,16,20,276 team premier league.

Thumbs up from me, we might get in to that one.

eamo1
30/04/2009, 2:43 PM
Ya,there might be some slight fixture congestion with a 276 team premier league but sure we'd manage:D.

randomcomment
30/04/2009, 2:46 PM
the powers that be would have trouble organising a 2 team league, never mind a 16 team league :)

thischarmingman
30/04/2009, 3:04 PM
http://www.creativescreenwriting.com/csdaily/csdart/images/images/Groundhog_Murray_running.jpg

Umberside
30/04/2009, 3:11 PM
They said when they launched it it was for better quality matches. I haven't seen any raise in the quality of the matches so far.

There's no point in getting rid of the set-up after one season, it needs time to work.

randomcomment
30/04/2009, 3:28 PM
http://www.djtechtools.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/bush_04_06_2004_head_scratch.jpg

16 teams X 2 rounds =

gufc2000
30/04/2009, 3:31 PM
Anyone able to post a link to where I could get the article online?

dublinred
30/04/2009, 3:50 PM
Don't think 16 teams would be enough as only 30 games compared to 36 this year so missing income for 3 home games and would expect players would want the same money , 18 teams wouldn't be a bad option with relegation to the A League . I think the likes of Limerick and Athlone would benift from getting increased away crowds and better coverage in the press and after a couple of season the standard should improve across the board . The current first division is a joke in terms of coverage, and its easy to get bogged down there.

jinxy lilywhite
30/04/2009, 3:59 PM
we don't have enough clubs to support a 16 team in the loi. in all fairness to the top 6 in the first they are of no standard to be playing premier division football.
why should the fai make it easier for clubs down there now to go up for clubs beforehand had to sell their souls

stann
30/04/2009, 4:10 PM
You advocating a 9 team Premier Division then Jinxy?

Given that a team that were one kick of a ball away from being in the Premier instead of ye are suddenly 'of no standard to be playing Premier Division football' like?

Dyl10
30/04/2009, 4:19 PM
It would be better for football and the league as a whole.
The two major outlying problems for me are:

A) What happens with relegation?

B) How big a gap will there be between top and bottom?

The league would be more attractive for younger players torn between joining a first division club or playing for an intermediate club. Attendances for first division clubs in the new premier division would be up(In most cases) and the prospect of a bit more variation in the fixture sheet would certainly be more attractive to me.

GalwayRed
30/04/2009, 4:33 PM
we don't have enough clubs to support a 16 team in the loi. in all fairness to the top 6 in the first they are of no standard to be playing premier division football.
why should the fai make it easier for clubs down there now to go up for clubs beforehand had to sell their souls
You honestly dont think the likes of ourselves, fingal, waterford and ucd could not be competitive in the premier? Id have to disagree with you there. Especially after Dundalk sent a strong side to Tolka just recently for the league cup and got hammered.
Anyway back on topic, I would be against a 16 team league. I dont think changing around the numbers every couple of years is going to solve all the finacial difficulties and lack of support for the league. Its best to stick with the structure set out for now and give it a chance. The league needs some stability and thats not going to happen if theres 6 teams thrown into a new premier division. Itll just encourage lesser teams to overspend having gotten their break- they will want to take their chance and stay up up at all costs- and could lead to more financial difficulties.

gufc2000
30/04/2009, 4:39 PM
What 16 teams would you include?

Mine would be:
Bohemians, Cork, Derry, Shamrock Rovers, Sligo, Bray, St Pats, Galway, Drogheda, Dundalk, Waterford, Limerick, Shelbourne, Athlone, Finn Harps, Longford,

Then you could have Fingal, Monaghan, Kildare, UCD, Wexford, Mervue and the rest of the A teams in another league

SligoBrewer
30/04/2009, 5:03 PM
Can we merge this with every other 16 team thread?

Dodge
30/04/2009, 5:05 PM
Can we merge this with every other 16 team thread?

System isn't big enough to hold a 7,631 page thread.

I'd guess...

MariborKev
30/04/2009, 5:08 PM
The ten team league was driving by greed by the likes of Ollie, Bohs, Cork and Derry who wanted more big games to cover the inflated wage bills.

bhs

Source?

I'd like you to find a Derry source on it, otherwise withdraw it.

thedoyler
30/04/2009, 6:24 PM
Have not read the article yet but whats the problem with doing the 2 rounds and then splitting into a top and bottom for last round a la northern irish league? I think it would be better as the geographical spread is awful. No team in the middle of the country. 1 in Munster. Crazy stuff, will lose fans from those counties if premier football isnt available.

Dodge
30/04/2009, 7:35 PM
Have not read the article yet but whats the problem with doing the 2 rounds and then splitting into a top and bottom for last round a la northern irish league?.

You mean a la the League of Ireland16/17 years ago

it was crap then, and it'd be crap now

blackholesun
30/04/2009, 9:29 PM
Source?

I'd like you to find a Derry source on it, otherwise withdraw it.

He was singing its praises!

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:DqwSi58G4wgJ:www.irishnews.com/pageacc.asp%3Ftser1%3Dser%26par%3Dben%26sid%3D2567 06+%2210+team+premier%22+derry&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

DERRY City chairman Jim Roddy “The new-look 10-team premier league will be much more professional".

:D

bhs

Poor Student
30/04/2009, 9:33 PM
The same teams enjoying an easy promotion into an expanded 16 team league would be the same teams hopelessly battling to avoid the drop in 2-3 years time when they decide to relegate 4 teams to reduce it back to 12 again.

MariborKev
30/04/2009, 10:13 PM
bhs,

That was prior to the last round of the 10 team League.

A comment form a former board member, eight years ago, doesn't define current policy.

srfc1928
30/04/2009, 10:18 PM
You mean a la the League of Ireland16/17 years ago

it was crap then, and it'd be crap now
Agreed, it was a disaster

El-Pietro
30/04/2009, 11:23 PM
He was singing its praises!

http://209.85.129.132/search?q=cache:DqwSi58G4wgJ:www.irishnews.com/pageacc.asp%3Ftser1%3Dser%26par%3Dben%26sid%3D2567 06+%2210+team+premier%22+derry&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ie

DERRY City chairman Jim Roddy “The new-look 10-team premier league will be much more professional".

:D

bhs
Jim Roddy was also a huge advocate of the All Ireland league - and agreed with Droghedas approach to getting their stadium and spending to build an unsustainable team

he also though Arkaga were misunderstood.

Red&White Rover
01/05/2009, 1:52 AM
What about an All-Ireland league? Has anyone ever thought of that?

citybone
01/05/2009, 9:32 AM
What about an All-Ireland league? Has anyone ever thought of that?

great idea lol

well it is in theory but only 2 clubs up north are big enough. I think 2 ten team leagues or 2 twelve team leagues with a split like the SPL my problem with the current system is clubs like Kildare and drogheda getting hammered every week, more so Kildare.

But like many here i don't like this coming up again and again.

Schumi
01/05/2009, 10:51 AM
How about a 12 team premier, has that been tried yet? You'd have to play everyone three times, probably but that wouldn't be a big deal. My picks for the 12 teams would be:
Bohs
Pats
Rovers
UCD
Longford
Wexford
Cork
Harps
Sligo
Dundalk
Galway
A new team in Tipperary

The current system ISN'T WORKING, we have to try something different!

citybone
01/05/2009, 11:07 AM
How about a 12 team premier, has that been tried yet? You'd have to play everyone three times, probably but that wouldn't be a big deal. My picks for the 12 teams would be:
Bohs
Pats
Rovers
UCD
Longford
Wexford
Cork
Harps
Sligo
Dundalk
Galway
A new team in Tipperary

The current system ISN'T WORKING, we have to try something different!

why isnt it working? premier division average attendances are up

JC_GUFC
01/05/2009, 12:30 PM
is clubs like Kildare and drogheda getting hammered every week, more so Kildare.

But like many here i don't like this coming up again and again.

I think Kildare would probably find their standard if there was an All-Ireland league - particularly when towards the end of the season the Irish League teams decide to throw a few games for a bit of a pay-day!

Mind you what happens when 2 teams are trying to lose a game?!?! 4-4 draw?