PDA

View Full Version : Best LOI games in Europe

Pages : [1] 2

Umberside
29/04/2009, 5:19 PM
With the European qualification coming up in a few weeks, I thought it was a good idea to start recounting the best League of Ireland performances in Europe.

Five fantastic encounters:

Shelbourne 4-1 Glentoran - Tolka Park, 2005

After a 2-1 away win in The Oval, Shels destroy Glentoran 4-1 at Tolka in a UEFA Champions League qualifier, and went through 6-2 on aggregate. Jason Byrne was the star of the show, scoring a double in both legs, with Glen Crowe and Owen Heary the others that found the net. It would also be the last season that they competed in the UEFA Champions League.

Aberdeen 1-2 Bohemians - Pittodrie, 2000

Bohs get a fantastic result away to Aberdeen, and in the home leg hold on to the advantage unlike other Irish clubs in the past, to qualify for the next round. Despite a 1-0 home defeat, the 2 away goals keep them in the competition.

Celtic 0-0 St Patrick's Athletic - Celtic Park, 1998

Pat Dolan's Saints pull off a remarkable result at Parkhead, taking a 0-0 to Tolka Park. They could've even won it only for Martin Reilly's shot going the wrong side of the post well into the second half. Unfortunately, Celtic win the home leg 2-0 to put Pats out of the competition.

St Patrick's Athletic 2-1 Elfsborg - Richmond Park, 2008

With over an hour gone in the first leg, St Pats looked like they were out already. They were 2-0 down after a quarter of the round gone. But somehow, they clawed two goals back to put them in a great position to qualify. But in the home leg, Elfsborg took a shock lead and now it looked like Pats really were gone. However, two goals in the last four minutes put St Pats into the UEFA Cup First Round and complete an incredible round.

Shelbourne 2-0 Hadjuk Split - Tolka Park, 2004

Probably the best League of Ireland European match ever. Despite a 3-2 defeat in Split, Shels needed just one goal to go into the next round. With the teams going in at half time level, a goal was needed from somewhere and Dave Rogers stepped up with a cracker to put Shels ahead. The game was completed when some clever play from Joseph Ndo was crossed along the goal line and finished off to seal an historic moment for League of Ireland football.

mr.untitled
29/04/2009, 6:12 PM
i know it was not a victory but

Dynamo kyev 2-2 Drogheda united.
Sooooooooooo close

Umberside
29/04/2009, 6:19 PM
i know it was not a victory but

Dynamo kyev 2-2 Drogheda united.
Sooooooooooo close

Yeah I thought about putting that in but opted for St Patrick's Athletic in the UEFA Cup.:ball:

BohDiddley
29/04/2009, 6:42 PM
Bohs v Aberdeen UEFA Cup 2000 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H1vFbv71Oo&feature=channel_page) :ball:

Umberside
29/04/2009, 6:44 PM
Bohs v Aberdeen UEFA Cup 2000 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H1vFbv71Oo&feature=channel_page) :ball:

What a game. Completely forgot about it until recently.

irishultra
29/04/2009, 6:49 PM
Drogheda against Dynamo Kyiv was the best result imo.

LukeO
29/04/2009, 6:49 PM
Rangers 5 Shelbourne 3 in 1998... with Shels leading 3-0 with 30 mins to go... ouch

crc
29/04/2009, 7:19 PM
There are three or four candidates from Derry's UEFA Cup run in 2006, but for me the best was:

IFK Gothenburg 0-1 Derry City

Reasons: because it was so unexpected, because it was away from home and because I was there. It was the first game in a European run that put a big dent in my Visa card. I remember that the 300 or so City fans went over more in hope than in expectation, but as the game wore on it became clear that we might be able to get something from it. Hargy's goal sent us into party-mode for the rest of the night and the following morning.

A face
29/04/2009, 7:52 PM
City v Nantes a while back, we lost but great game.

Bohs V Aberdeen was good alright. Bohs v Bordeaux years ago stands out as a game where the LOI played well but result doesn't tell that story.

MariborKev
29/04/2009, 8:05 PM
As crc has said Gothenburg was some trip.

However for a performance, look no further than the record away win for a League of Ireland side

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WelpDm_Scd8

LeixlipRed
29/04/2009, 8:07 PM
How come Bohs v Aberdeen was played in Tolka? Had forgotten about that.

LukeO
29/04/2009, 8:10 PM
We only had one stand... Shed and Connaught St were still terraces...

LeixlipRed
29/04/2009, 8:11 PM
Ah of course.

MariborKev
29/04/2009, 8:21 PM
We only had one stand... Shed and Connaught St were still terraces...

Was it not to do with floodlights as well?

Was it not a combination of the lights and German TV that had the home leg against the Germans played early?

sligoman
29/04/2009, 9:13 PM
Was it not to do with floodlights as well?

Was it not a combination of the lights and German TV that had the home leg against the Germans played early?Are Aberdeen German?:confused:

dcfcsteve
29/04/2009, 10:40 PM
With the European qualification coming up in a few weeks, I thought it was a good idea to start recounting the best League of Ireland performances in Europe.

Five fantastic encounters:

Shelbourne 4-1 Glentoran - Tolka Park, 2005

After a 2-1 away win in The Oval, Shels destroy Glentoran 4-1 at Tolka in a UEFA Champions League qualifier, and went through 6-2 on aggregate. Jason Byrne was the star of the show, scoring a double in both legs, with Glen Crowe and Owen Heary the others that found the net. It would also be the last season that they competed in the UEFA Champions League.

Aberdeen 1-2 Bohemians - Pittodrie, 2000

Bohs get a fantastic result away to Aberdeen, and in the home leg hold on to the advantage unlike other Irish clubs in the past, to qualify for the next round. Despite a 1-0 home defeat, the 2 away goals keep them in the competition.

Celtic 0-0 St Patrick's Athletic - Celtic Park, 1998

Pat Dolan's Saints pull off a remarkable result at Parkhead, taking a 0-0 to Tolka Park. They could've even won it only for Martin Reilly's shot going the wrong side of the post well into the second half. Unfortunately, Celtic win the home leg 2-0 to put Pats out of the competition.

St Patrick's Athletic 2-1 Elfsborg - Richmond Park, 2008

With over an hour gone in the first leg, St Pats looked like they were out already. They were 2-0 down after a quarter of the round gone. But somehow, they clawed two goals back to put them in a great position to qualify. But in the home leg, Elfsborg took a shock lead and now it looked like Pats really were gone. However, two goals in the last four minutes put St Pats into the UEFA Cup First Round and complete an incredible round.

Shelbourne 2-0 Hadjuk Split - Tolka Park, 2004

Probably the best League of Ireland European match ever. Despite a 3-2 defeat in Split, Shels needed just one goal to go into the next round. With the teams going in at half time level, a goal was needed from somewhere and Dave Rogers stepped up with a cracker to put Shels ahead. The game was completed when some clever play from Joseph Ndo was crossed along the goal line and finished off to seal an historic moment for League of Ireland football.

Missing City's away result against Gretna in 2006 off that list is, frankly, an embarassment.

A set of 4 second-half goals the combined quality of which you would struggle to find in any game anywhere - including the world cup.

Shels win over Glentoran was no great shakes in all honesty.

DaveyCakes
29/04/2009, 10:40 PM
Sligo Rovers 3 - 3 Nantes, Intertoto Cup 1996(?)

Rovers went 2-0 up, then 3-2 down and got an equalizer in the last few minutes.

Réiteoir
29/04/2009, 10:47 PM
Kaiserslautern - Bohs in the UEFA Cup (which Bohs won 1-0 and had a goal incorrectly disallowed for offside) - becoming the first League of Ireland side to win two away games in the same European Campaign.

Kaiserslautern then went onto reach the semi finals where they lost to Alaves - who then lost that manic final against Liverpool...

pól-dcfc
30/04/2009, 12:01 AM

However for a performance, look no further than the record away win for a League of Ireland side

It's ridiculous that even so far on every time I see that clip I get goosebumps. Derry were superb. Our wins over Gothenbourg and the 0-0 with PSG (McHugh should have had a pen and Brennan(?) hit the bar) were great results, but that win at Fir Park made me so proud. Did more than any other single thing to wake me up from my 7 year LoI slumber (except for maybe the playoff against Harps). Never looked back.

Even until last year I would have considered myself both a Derry and Man Utd fan, but games like that and the atmosphere in the town made me realise that following an English team is the emptiest enterprise for anyone here to pursue.

Billy Lord
30/04/2009, 12:54 AM
Shamrock Rovers beat Odra Wodzisław of Poland home and away (2-1, 1-0) in the 2003 Intertoto Cup.
Very few LoI clubs have won both home and away legs even once in a European tie, but Rovers have done it three times (v Spora, Fram and Odra).
Beat that. :cool:

joema
30/04/2009, 12:59 AM
Shels 0 Deportivo 0!

Have people forgotten?

Cork City have done brilliant in recent years, beating Djurgardens and Malmo especially...

pól-dcfc
30/04/2009, 1:03 AM
Shamrock Rovers beat Odra Wodzisław of Poland home and away (2-1, 1-0) in the 2003 Intertoto Cup.
Very few LoI clubs have won both home and away legs even once in a European tie, but Rovers have done it three times (v Spora, Fram and Odra).

Who, who and who? At least we did it against Gothenburg ;)

Billy Lord
30/04/2009, 1:08 AM
Who, who and who? At least we did it against Gothenburg ;)

You miss the point. Who has won three ties both home and away? Once is a fluke, twice is good work, three times is a sign of class. :cool:

dcfcsteve
30/04/2009, 1:16 AM

They were hardly classics though, in fairness.

I took a detour on my way home from a stag do in Galway to catch the Odra game at Richmond Park, and it was far from a game to remember.

Rovers Maniac
30/04/2009, 7:35 AM
Bayern Munich v Cork City in Munich, as a young lad switching through channels on the sat at home and came across this. Obviously expecting Cork City to be firmly hammered,decided i would watch a few minutes. Cork played some class stuff on the night and came so so close to knocking Bayern out, Bayern did not score the first untill i think 2 minutes from time which was against the run of play, they got a second in injury time to win 2-0. But how Cork did not score is beyond me esp very late on which Bayern broke from and got the first goal. For me probably never see a performance like this again in Europe from a league of Ireland team against one of the world's biggest football clubs in their home ground.

SunderlandBohs
30/04/2009, 7:47 AM
Bohs 3-2 Rangers. Bohs 0-0 Steua. Also Athlone Town v AC Milan in St Mel's. Cork City's 2 games NEC from Holland in the Intertoto. Can any City fans remember the scores? I remember you won one of them.

gspain
30/04/2009, 8:10 AM
Missing City's away result against Gretna in 2006 off that list is, frankly, an embarassment.

A set of 4 second-half goals the combined quality of which you would struggle to find in any game anywhere - including the world cup.

Shels win over Glentoran was no great shakes in all honesty.

Why? You put away an inferior side with a comfortable win. Sure they were great goals but Gretna were a poor team in a league that has 2 big clubs. Your win over Gothenborg was far far more impressive. Agree re Shels v Glentoran.

The impressive performances for me were the games against bigger teams from bigger leagues. In particular those where the Irish side won the tie

Shels v Hadjuk for me was the best

also

Pats v Elfsborg
Shels v Karpaty (great boost for the league at the time)
Drumcondra v Odense
Bohs v Esbjerg

Notable heroic failures

Rovers v Bayern Munich - 10 mnutes away from winning the tie
Bohs v Rangers - again 10 mins away from winning the tie.
Drogheda v Dynamo Kiev - 2 great late chances to win the tie.

I'm a bit more sceptical about one off results as it is hard to know how seriously the opposition treated the game. We got a 1-1 draw at Southampton and played superbly and indeed could have won it but were already 3-0 down from the home leg. I'd have to put results like Bohs win in Kaiserslautern i nthat category

seand
30/04/2009, 8:14 AM
Need to rename this thread best LoI games in Europe in the last 10 years I think!

Shilts
30/04/2009, 8:56 AM
Cork City 1 (Dave Barry) Bayern Munich 1
UEFA Cup early 90s. Going for 91 myself! :ball:

Schumi
30/04/2009, 10:20 AM
UCD 0-0 Everton.

A first leg draw against the team that won the competition.

thischarmingman
30/04/2009, 10:20 AM
Best thread ever... (http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=37583)

The infamous SuperGretna thread :) (http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=37979)

Hargy's goal in Sweden (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsMZ9_kiSV4)

5ForKeeps
30/04/2009, 11:08 AM

Definitely the best IMO after Gretna took Derry lightly and were so cocky and got handed a beating.

Another game, Bohs away to Kaiserlautern 1-0 win. Crowe scored the only goal.

Pablo Escobar
30/04/2009, 11:10 AM
Cork City's 2 games NEC from Holland in the Intertoto. Can any City fans remember the scores? I remember you won one of them.

NEC 0-0 Cork City - Billy Woods hitting the crossbar from 30 yards and we weren't really troubled!

Cork City 1-0 NEC, Kevin Doyle

Cork City -v- Bayern Munich:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMjsDNJAn2U

Cork City -v- Galatasaray:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEts5UJgdA

Cork City -v- Apollon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5RsnIs5oP4&feature=PlayList&p=11DCBF13460085D2&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcB-lu6ZWZc&feature=PlayList&p=11DCBF13460085D2&index=4&playnext=2&playnext_from=PL

seand
30/04/2009, 11:14 AM
No mention of Athlone 0-0 Milan yet!!!

Rovers should have beaten Bayern in the 60s. They also drew with Valencia, Real Zaragoza and Nice, and beat Schalke.

Dundalk had an 8 game unbeaten run at home, including a win over Hajduk Split and draws with Spurs, Porto, Celtic and a PSV Eindhoven side including half the Dutch World Cup squad.

Drums knocked out Odense and then beat Bayern Munich at home.

Hibs4Ever
30/04/2009, 11:20 AM
Also Athlone Town v AC Milan in St Mel's

No mention of Athlone 0-0 Milan yet!!!

There is if you read the thread ;)

Réiteoir
30/04/2009, 11:51 AM

I wouldn't describe Luxembourg, Iceland or Poland as real powerhouses of European football...

mandrake
30/04/2009, 12:03 PM
Need to rename this thread best LoI games in Europe in the last 10 years I think!

i knew it wouldnt be long til a dundalk head stuck on a comment about this...and history and all that blah blah...
go on then impress us...!!

pineapple stu
30/04/2009, 12:18 PM
UCD 0-0 Everton.

A first leg draw against the team that won the competition.
Losing 1-0 away, when they'd already received a scare from us, was arguably better.

El-Pietro
30/04/2009, 12:27 PM
Bohs 3-2 Rangers. Bohs 0-0 Steua. Also Athlone Town v AC Milan in St Mel's. Cork City's 2 games NEC from Holland in the Intertoto. Can any City fans remember the scores? I remember you won one of them.
0-0 and 1-0

El-Pietro
30/04/2009, 12:29 PM
citys wins over malmo home and away were something else

started our european runs over three or four years getting though at least one round

oriel
30/04/2009, 1:05 PM
i knew it wouldnt be long til a dundalk head stuck on a comment about this...and history and all that blah blah...
go on then impress us...!!

Ok here`s another one, FC Zurich 1 Dundalk 2 - 1963 European Cup, first Irish team to win an away game in Europe.

Blah blah

dcfcsteve
30/04/2009, 1:33 PM
Why? You put away an inferior side with a comfortable win. Sure they were great goals but Gretna were a poor team in a league that has 2 big clubs.

It's easy to say now in hindsight that we put away an inferior team, but let's not forget that not a single soul outside of Ireland thought we'd beat Gretna at the time. There were also many within Ireland who didn't fancy our chances either - including the bookies, who rarely get things wrong. Myself and a fair few Derry fans made some good money out of them that night, and I rarely ever gamble. You need only look at my signature to see the kind of expectations that existed for us to lose.

So not only was it a game that most people thought we wouldn't win, we then won in the most outrageous fashion, with a set of goals that were unmatched in any other second-half performance by any team in Europe that year. Plus it was the biggest away win ever recorded by an Irish team in Europe. For all those reaosns, it was a big thing.

Your win over Gothenborg was far far more impressive.

As a result - yes. As a footbaling display - no chance.

P.S. Which win over Gothenborg are you referring to....? ;)

Longfordian
30/04/2009, 1:42 PM
We've certainly had some memorable nights in Europe too, ahem. Though I guess looking back our 1-1 draw with Litex Lovech was a good result, we had a chance to go 1-0 up in the last minute or two over there too.

gspain
30/04/2009, 2:24 PM
It's easy to say now in hindsight that we put away an inferior team, but let's not forget that not a single soul outside of Ireland thought we'd beat Gretna at the time. There were also many within Ireland who didn't fancy our chances either - including the bookies, who rarely get things wrong. Myself and a fair few Derry fans made some good money out of them that night, and I rarely ever gamble. You need only look at my signature to see the kind of expectations that existed for us to lose.

So not only was it a game that most people thought we wouldn't win, we then won in the most outrageous fashion, with a set of goals that were unmatched in any other second-half performance by any team in Europe that year. Plus it was the biggest away win ever recorded by an Irish team in Europe. For all those reaosns, it was a big thing.

As a result - yes. As a footbaling display - no chance.

P.S. Which win over Gothenborg are you referring to....? ;)

It is also a record home defeat for Scottish sides in Europe. However I remember the draw and fervently hoping you'd get Gretna who were by far the weakest team you could have got. Sure the goals were great but you still have to consider the opposition. Shamrock Rovers ****ed on Fram in 1982 (4-0 & 3-0) but they wouldn't consider it an all time great result.

Take your pick on which 1-0 win over Gothenborg - I meant the tie and beating them home and away was really impressive. I imagine you were far longer odds to win in Gothenborg than you were to win in Motherwell.

garyderry
30/04/2009, 3:10 PM
It is also a record home defeat for Scottish sides in Europe. However I remember the draw and fervently hoping you'd get Gretna who were by far the weakest team you could have got. Sure the goals were great but you still have to consider the opposition. Shamrock Rovers ****ed on Fram in 1982 (4-0 & 3-0) but they wouldn't consider it an all time great result.

Take your pick on which 1-0 win over Gothenborg - I meant the tie and beating them home and away was really impressive. I imagine you were far longer odds to win in Gothenborg than you were to win in Motherwell.

10-1 in Gotenberg
8-1 at home to Gotenberg
and 5-1 away to Gretna

Great odds all the same, especially when you had bet on them all

Martinho II
30/04/2009, 7:34 PM
cork city galatarasay match in 1993 is that the same tudgay thats still at blackburn??

Umberside
30/04/2009, 8:21 PM
cork city galatarasay match in 1993 is that the same tudgay thats still at blackburn??

Yeah same one

Sheridan
30/04/2009, 9:18 PM
I can't believe people are citing InterToto Cup games...

geysir
01/05/2009, 12:19 AM
Ok here`s another one, FC Zurich 1 Dundalk 2 - 1963 European Cup, first Irish team to win an away game in Europe.

Blah blah
Dundalk beat Zurich in the home leg, not the away one.
But still were the first LOI club to win a European Cup tie:cool:

I haven't seen a few of the games already mentioned but they would have to very good just to come close to Shels V Split.

I would have swapped all Euro glory for Drogheda to knock out Kiev.

bennocelt
01/05/2009, 7:17 AM

;)

Yeah thats true
many , myself included, made a nice tidy profit betting for Derry in both legs of this tie. It wasnt such a shock, the only shock in it was that Derry scored so many goals