PDA

View Full Version : Swine flu

Pages : [1] 2

Poor Student
26/04/2009, 8:10 PM
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0426/swineflu.html

Worryingly the flu outbreak in Mexico appears to have claimed over 80 lives so far. It's has definitely spread to the US and there are possible outbreaks in Europe. Any posters here with any insight into this kind of thing? They're saying the amount of deaths in the young/middle aged adult bracket has characteristics of previous pandemics.:(

NeilMcD
26/04/2009, 8:26 PM
No deaths in the US yet though despite that there is 20 cases of it. I would say any flight from Mexico now is going to be checked.

thischarmingman
26/04/2009, 11:14 PM
The international community is better prepared than ever to deal with the threatened spread of a new swine flu virus, a top UN health chief has said.

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8019566.stm)

RĂ©iteoir
27/04/2009, 1:22 AM
I'm pig sick about the whole thing - very worrying

Shilts
27/04/2009, 9:15 AM
I'm pig sick about the whole thing - very worrying

I dont like your attitude Reiteoir - over 80 people dead so far - that's nothing to be sneezed at is it? :D

pete
27/04/2009, 9:50 AM
So we had avian flu, now its swine flu, what next... rodent flu.

While people have died in Mexico it seems to only have made news when it hit the US & their media really do love spread any apocalypse story.

dahamsta
27/04/2009, 10:36 AM
So pigs can fly?

DaveyCakes
27/04/2009, 11:41 AM
The people of South Park are stampeding to the Community Center as we speak.

Pauro 76
27/04/2009, 2:03 PM
Stop mucking about. Snout of order.

Wangball
27/04/2009, 2:19 PM
Apparently its not that bad, can be cured with a simple oink-ment!

osarusan
27/04/2009, 2:22 PM
So pigs can fly?
This one can. Perhaps he's the one responsible for all this. And to think all he needed was a jacket and scarf.
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/Pictures/flying-pig.jpg

Pauro 76
27/04/2009, 2:27 PM
Hopefully we'll all save our bacon.

Red&White Rover
27/04/2009, 3:09 PM
Stay away from all Gardai for the next couple of weeks so lads.

Pauro 76
27/04/2009, 3:25 PM
Hope the government aren't telling us porkies.

Wangball
27/04/2009, 3:42 PM
Doubt they're lying, they swore by the hairs on their chinny chin chins

Edit....if anybody is found to be lying about this surely they'll be for the chop!?

Pauro 76
27/04/2009, 3:45 PM
Bit of a sausage fest in here?

mypost
27/04/2009, 3:55 PM
Have any of the mini-balaclava wearing population, realised that it's not just the nose and mouth where they can be infected, but also the eyes? :confused:

Flu can only enter the body through open exposed areas, from mouths to miniscule hand cuts.

Where's my gloves to go with the balaclava??

Wangball
27/04/2009, 3:58 PM
Bit of a sausage fest in here?

Seems to be a lot of h-amateur comedians about today....LARF!

Rashers Baptisa
27/04/2009, 4:16 PM
Are any of the league of Ireland matches in danger of being called off next weekend because of the Swine Flu outbreak?

Will the FAI be taking any precautionary measures at the gates of the teams' grounds?

dahamsta
27/04/2009, 4:49 PM
http://littlegreenfootballs.com/weblog/pictures/Pictures/flying-pig.jpgHe flu, he flu!!!

37Beour
27/04/2009, 7:18 PM
The only thing I did find strange was that when I was going to bed Thurs or Friday night there wasn't a mention of a flu of any kind....when I wake up 80 are dead and there's a risk of global pandemic!!!:eek:

And no smart arses asking how long I was asleep for :p

eamo1
27/04/2009, 7:31 PM
This is just like the Hurricanes.Hurricane Ivan and Rita BATTERED Haiti and Cuba and killed 100s but the news reporters only bothered with it when it was near the U.S.Same with this flu,"ah sure its fine,its only Mexico(also killed people in Costa Rica too btw),oh wait,its now found in the U.S and Canada and Europe,NOW its a story":mad:.
They are also scaremongering by saying its going to be a pandemic.They are NOT reporting that simple tablets like Tamiflu do the job as does plenty of rest:rolleyes:

Poor Student
27/04/2009, 7:37 PM
Got a source for the fatalities in Costa Rica? Why does it have a roughly 7% fatality rate in Mexico if a bit of Tamiflu and rest will fix it?

mypost
27/04/2009, 8:02 PM
This is just like the Hurricanes.Hurricane Ivan and Rita BATTERED Haiti and Cuba and killed 100s but the news reporters only bothered with it when it was near the U.S.Same with this flu,"ah sure its fine,its only Mexico(also killed people in Costa Rica too btw),oh wait,its now found in the U.S and Canada and Europe,NOW its a story":mad:.
They are also scaremongering by saying its going to be a pandemic.They are NOT reporting that simple tablets like Tamiflu do the job as does plenty of rest:rolleyes:

All lives are equal, but in journalism, they are more important when it's Western lives at risk. But that's journalism for you. :o

No surprise that it's only Mexico where people have died. It's not as capable to deal with it as everywhere else.

DaveyCakes
27/04/2009, 9:08 PM
SARS, Bird flu, now this...By my reckoning we should all be dead 3 times over at this stage.

Red&White Rover
27/04/2009, 10:40 PM
Obviously the US Government is behind it. They're behind everything that goes wrong. Ever.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya.

Bluebeard
28/04/2009, 8:56 AM
I think some of the reports have been rasher than the others, a lot of the journos seem to be only too happy to trot out the "end of the World" headlines once again.

All the same I suppose we all have to prepare once more to meat our maker.

Roadend
28/04/2009, 9:01 AM
Some of the puns in here are just sow bad

Wangball
28/04/2009, 10:27 AM
Some of the puns in here are just sow bad

Some people have conspired to make a pigs ear of this thread!

passinginterest
28/04/2009, 10:38 AM
Just back from New York and it's dominating the news there, they really do love a good apocalypse story. I do have a bit of a sore throat though so here's hoping I haven't brought home the bacon!
There was 140 school students in Queens getting tested, 10 of them had regular flu at the last update.

37Beour
28/04/2009, 1:46 PM
Obviously the US Government is behind it. They're behind everything that goes wrong. Ever.

Wouldn't be the worse guess in the world I bet!

Schumi
28/04/2009, 1:55 PM

http://www.prisonplanet.com/swine-flu-attack-likely-a-beta-test.html

OneRedArmy
28/04/2009, 2:08 PM
Have any of the mini-balaclava wearing population, realised that it's not just the nose and mouth where they can be infected, but also the eyes? :confused:

Flu can only enter the body through open exposed areas, from mouths to miniscule hand cuts.

Where's my gloves to go with the balaclava??The masks are to prevent carriers transmitting it (coughs and sneezes) rather than preventing people receiving it. As you say, they offer little protection for that.

But if people knew that they wouldn't be so bothered about wearing them, therefore there's an incentive not to de-bunk the myth that wearing one protects you.

pete
28/04/2009, 2:11 PM
I do have a bit of a sore throat though so here's hoping I haven't brought home the bacon!

There should be a ban on all people travelling outside the US. It would have been one benefit of the swine flu. :cool:

tricky_colour
28/04/2009, 4:41 PM
So pigs can fly?

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200803/r233611_936550.jpg

Thunderblaster
28/04/2009, 5:41 PM
Will little Miss Piggy be going to the market at the weekend?:D

eamo1
28/04/2009, 10:45 PM
So the Irish tests came back negative for it this evening.I know the exact headline in the papers tomorrow "IRELAND GETS THE ALL CLEAR FROM SWINE FLU OUTBREAK,FOR NOW!".Then they will procede to tell us how "its only a matter of time before it comes here".Granted in this era of easy travel etc it might come here but its like they are hoping it comes.:mad:

tricky_colour
29/04/2009, 12:48 AM
You know you have swine flu when you come out in rashers :D

Pauro 76
29/04/2009, 7:32 AM
Got the sniffles and ended up sneezing on the tube. Daggers looks all round. Media stoking up the paranoia here too.

pete
29/04/2009, 9:37 AM
ASibLqwVbsk

This is how you catch Swine Flu!!! Be careful people!

OneRedArmy
29/04/2009, 10:59 AM
So the Irish tests came back negative for it this evening.I know the exact headline in the papers tomorrow "IRELAND GETS THE ALL CLEAR FROM SWINE FLU OUTBREAK,FOR NOW!".Then they will procede to tell us how "its only a matter of time before it comes here".Granted in this era of easy travel etc it might come here but its like they are hoping it comes.:mad:On the basis the WHO have said it can't be stopped travelling at this stage, I would say that's a reasonable accurate, headline.

Here's hoping it continues to be non-fatal outside Mexico.

Longfordian
29/04/2009, 11:47 AM
A 23 month old child died has died from it in Texas apparently. The first fatality outside Mexico.

DaveyCakes
29/04/2009, 12:22 PM
Several thousand people die of the flu every year in the States.

Closed Account 2
29/04/2009, 4:21 PM
You know you have swine flu when you come out in rashers :D

I tried to call my doctor but I couldn't get through... I just heard a lot of crackling on the other end of the line.

pete
29/04/2009, 4:44 PM
Flu Naming Rights Dispute (http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0429/breaking70.htm)

Hoping to calm consumers and protect the pork industry, the European Commission is avoiding using "swine flu" to refer to the virus that has killed 159 people in Mexico and one in the United States, preferring the term "novel flu".

Despite the Commission's public statements, EU sources said it had sent an internal document in which the term became confused. It referred to "novel flu" in English, "Mexican flu" in French and "swine flu" in German.

Priceless! :D

Bluebeard
30/04/2009, 7:25 AM
Ye're all negative b@st@rds. Instead of wasting energy worrying about what it can do, we should be looking for ways cure it.

Besides, I think I may have already stumbled upon a solution... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnDS_Td0KIg)

Mr Maroon
30/04/2009, 9:48 AM
http://i39.tinypic.com/2ed1i54.jpg

pete
30/04/2009, 2:07 PM
Its a bit long but very good article Here (http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/engdahl/2009/0429.html)

If we are to believe what our trusted international media report, the world is on the brink of a global pandemic outbreak of a new deadly strain of flu, H1N1 as it has been labelled, or more popularly, Swine Flu. As the story goes, the outbreak of the deadly flu was first discovered in Mexico. According to press reports, after several days, headlines reported as many as perhaps 150 deaths in Mexico were believed caused by this virulent people-killing pig virus that has spread to humans and now is allegedly being further spread from human to human. Cases were being reported hourly from Canada to Spain and beyond. The only thing wrong with this story is that it is largely based on lies, hype and coverup of possible real causes of Mexican deaths.

The reporters add, ‘It was confirmed on Monday (April 27 2009-w.e.) that Edgar was the first known sufferer of swine flu, a revelation that has put La Gloria and its surrounding factory pig farms and ‘manure lagoons’ at the centre of a global race to find how this new and deadly strain of swine flu emerged.’6

In October 2005 the Pentagon ordered vaccination of all US military personnel worldwide against what it called Avian Flu, H5N1. Scare stories filled world media. Then, Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld announced he had budgeted more than $1 billion to stockpile the vaccine, Oseltamivir sold under the name, Tamiflu. President Bush called on Congress to appropriate another $2 billion for Tamiflu stocks.

What Rumsfeld neglected to report at the time was a colossal conflict of interest. Prior to coming to Washington in January 2001, Rumsfeld had been chairman of a California pharmaceutical company, Gilead Sciences. Gilead Sciences held exclusive world patent rights to Tamiflu, a drug it had developed and whose world marketing rights were sold to the Swiss pharma giant, Roche. Rumsfeld was reportedly the largest stock holder in Gilead which got 10% of every Tamiflu dose Roche sold.14 When it leaked out, the Pentagon issued a curt statement to the effect that Secretary Rumsfeld had decided not to sell but to retain his stock in Gilead, claiming that to sell would have indicated something to hide.’ That agonizing decision won him reported added millions as the Gilead share price soared more than 700% in weeks.

Panic and fear of death was used by the Bush Administration skilfully to promote the Avian Flu fraud. With ominous echoes of the current Swine Flu scare, Avian Flu was traced back to huge chicken factory farms in Thailand and other parts of Asia whose products were shipped across the world. Instead of a serious investigation into the sanitary conditions of those chicken factory farms, the Bush Administration and WHO blamed ‘free-roaming chickens’ on small family farms, a move that had devastating economic consequences to the farmers whose chickens were being raised in the most sanitary natural conditions. Tyson Foods of Arkansas and CG Group of Thailand reportedly smiled all the way to the bank.

osarusan
30/04/2009, 3:14 PM
This little piggy went to the market,
This little piggy stayed home,
This little piggy had roast beef,
This little piggy went to Mexico,
And went sniffle sniffle sniffle all the way home.

anto1208
30/04/2009, 7:28 PM
On the basis the WHO have said it can't be stopped travelling at this stage, I would say that's a reasonable accurate, headline.

Here's hoping it continues to be non-fatal outside Mexico.

I dont think we should be looking to musicians for advise on this.

Anyway its confirmed in Ireland now.