PDA

View Full Version : See Keane is at it again [R]

SeanieBoy
30/12/2003, 12:46 PM
See Keane is at it again, getting Irish fans hopes up...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/republic_of_ireland/3356735.stm

Declan_Michael
30/12/2003, 12:57 PM
Posted this on another forum..

News sources are reporting that a certain player is considering playing for Ireland again.

This certain player turned his back on his country and embarassed us all.

This certain player held talks with Brian Kerr about a possible comeback. However on medical grounds decided against it. So what exactly has changed? Not too tired after all those Man Utd pre season money spinning tours?

Apparently there are a couple of players in the current set up who he wouldn't get on with. Oh well, better get Brian and the FAI to tell these players they are no longer required. Afterall you have always considered yourself bigger than the team.

We can see through this facade - trying to win your way back into the hearts of the Irish people.

Suggest you join your friend Eamon, he could do with support at the moment. Or how about ya man Denis he has always fought your corner. Think he needs abit of help at Wolves. Why don't you join your other pal Paul for a quick pint?

I hear theres only one Irish team that would welcome you with open arms - Cork

gustavo
30/12/2003, 1:32 PM
well those dastardly players that roy doesnt like should all be forced to retire so that roy can feel at home if he ever decided to come back .

tricky_colour
30/12/2003, 3:42 PM
And about time too, season of goodwill and all.
Its time to bury the hatchet.

Best news I have heard in ages.

NigeSausagepump
30/12/2003, 3:54 PM
I reckon the only way it could happen would be if he left Man U at the end of this season and moved to a smaller club which didn't have the same European commitments/national team phobia. Whether the majority of the players would welcome him back is something I'm not privy to.

tricky_colour
30/12/2003, 4:20 PM
Originally posted by NigeSausagepump
I reckon the only way it could happen would be if he left Man U at the end of this season and moved to a smaller club which didn't have the same European commitments/national team phobia. Whether the majority of the players would welcome him back is something I'm not privy to.

Fact is Keane won't be playing every game for United whether he
is playing internationals or not so his inintial reasoning no
longer applies.
Keane will be 'rested' quite regularly anyway so he should have
plenty of time for internationals.
Besides our world cup qualifying group does't look too tough
to me.

frano
30/12/2003, 4:59 PM
Connor, good point about blooding new players for the midfield. Though I can't think of too many players with more experience and skill in the position that I'd rather learn from than Roy Keane.
If we as Irish supporters and the FAI as an association don't want to once again become the laughing stock of international football, then for **** sake lads, stop crying about the past, and do everything we can to build for the future.

We will have a better future midfield if the likes of Miller get a chance to learn from a player who is undoubtably one of, if not the greatest, Irish midfielder of all time.

ger121
30/12/2003, 6:02 PM
I wonder who the one or two players are. With Quinn, Kelly and Staunton retired who else does he have a major problem with. McAteer is unlikely to feature in to many future squads as he is struggling with injuries a lot.
I'm sure a lot of the younger players would be glad to have his leadership in the team. If you put personal feelings aside and look at it from a purely footballing sense, then his return to the team would only help to benefit Ireland.
I for one did not agree with everything he did and said it the last 18 months but nobody can doubt the mans footballing abilities. I hope this is not another rumour as this long running story was finally being put to bed. Time will tell.

tricky_colour
30/12/2003, 6:49 PM
Originally posted by ger121
I wonder who the one or two players are. With Quinn, Kelly and Staunton retired who else does he have a major problem with. McAteer is unlikely to feature in to many future squads as he is struggling with injuries a lot.
I'm sure a lot of the younger players would be glad to have his leadership in the team. If you put personal feelings aside and look at it from a purely footballing sense, then his return to the team would only help to benefit Ireland.
I for one did not agree with everything he did and said it the last 18 months but nobody can doubt the mans footballing abilities. I hope this is not another rumour as this long running story was finally being put to bed. Time will tell.

I really dont have much of an idea but the first name I thought
of was Holland, then Cunningham, then Breen but I really have
no idea whatsoever about Keanes relationship with any of these
players. All the other players seem too young to have got
up Roys nose.
I though McAteer had retired from internationals anyway.
Actually I just checked he hasn't which may make some of what
I said above redundant.
Here is what Jason says on his site

http://www.jason-mcateer.com/mcateer/diary.asp?uid=701438464&newsID=1222

Gráinne
30/12/2003, 6:52 PM
I thought I was dreaming when I heard it at first...on sky sports news, I think I over heard it on... but I've also heard that he isnt coming back because of 'medical reasons'...which was his excuse in the end Im sure...:confused:

Gary
30/12/2003, 7:30 PM
Without getting into it, but im sure what the 'report' said was that judas said that he still thinks he is good enough to play international footie, but is unlikely to return regardless.

Anyway, who bloody cares, old news. BOOOOOOORING!

Slash/ED
30/12/2003, 7:31 PM
Roy Keane has said nothing about coming back. All he's said is he could 'still do a job'. Alan Shearer has said that thousands of times and every time the English media blow the story out of proportion and twist it into a 'Shearer's coming back!' front page news story, and that's what's happend here.

Footie_Fan
30/12/2003, 7:31 PM
Picture the scene:

Croke Park.
80,000 supporters.
The French in town.
Roy leading us out.
Zidane his opposite number.

Mouth watering!

gustavo
30/12/2003, 8:06 PM
im sure the occasion would be just as admirable even if keane wont be leading us out.

adamcarr
31/12/2003, 6:20 PM
PICTURE THIS SCENE.
IN SOME ENGLISH STADIUM
AROUND 3000 SCREAMING FANS
KENNY CUNNINGHAM LEADING US OUT.

IT MIGHT NOT BE GLAMOURIS BUT ITS LOOKIN THAT WAY

adamcarr
01/01/2004, 5:38 PM
i would not mine seeing dunphy leading us out then keano would follow

gustavo
01/01/2004, 10:47 PM
now i know one of you two last guys was being ironic and one was being serious but i just cant figure out which one !

tiktok
02/01/2004, 9:21 AM
I've no problemwith him if he comes back, still the best midfielder we have currently playing, would teach the young lads coming through quite a bit.

adamcarr
02/01/2004, 8:57 PM
even if he did come back how long wud it be for? i doubt we will ever see that man in a green jersey again. Paddy Power Have him down for 6/1 for him to play in the first of irelands world cup qualifing game. 33/1 for him to score in that game. 100/1 for him to be sent off and 20/1 for him to play in the world cup.

Éanna
04/01/2004, 4:16 PM
Originally posted by gustavo
well those dastardly players that roy doesnt like should all be forced to retire so that roy can feel at home if he ever decided to come back .
exactly. how dare everyone not worship him as the greatest thing on this planet. why not give him the nobel peace prize as well, and send mick mccarthy to the war crimes tribunal for daring to upset the poor dear. BO!!OX!

The best solution is to deport the cúnt the next time he sets foot on Irish soil, take his passport off him and reintroduce section 31 of the broadcasting act spcifically for him, so we never have to listen to the self-glorifying woe-is-me bullsh!t he insists on churning out any time he gets within 100 yards of a journalist.He's a traitor and a scumbag, not to mention being a pale shadow of the player he once was. Oh, and he still can't pass the ball more than 10 yards :rolleyes:

Ruairi
04/01/2004, 4:24 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
Oh, and he still can't pass the ball more than 10 yards :rolleyes:

neither can you :p

A face
04/01/2004, 4:42 PM
Originally posted by tiktok
I've no problemwith him if he comes back, still the best midfielder we have currently playing, would teach the young lads coming through quite a bit.

Same here ..... might get some where if he did !!

Ozymandias
05/01/2004, 4:35 PM
whether you agree with him or not..he was the best we had and is still the best in his position...the whole affair is such a pity cause if it didn't happen I would be going to portugal in the summer cause teams like russia and Switzerland wouldn't have turned us over.....such a pity...

anyway onwards and upwards...Ar aighaidh ar aighaidh Éire

tricky_colour
06/01/2004, 12:31 AM
Just when I had given but the saga behind me Keane appears
to have raised it again.(Or perhaps the Journalists did).
I am a fan of Keane but I think "put up or shut up" is the
appropiate phrase.
Yes I would love to see him back, but I don't want to go
through the Saipan saga again. well not unless it results in
him playing again!!:mad:

Éanna
06/01/2004, 1:40 PM
Originally posted by Ruairi
neither can you :p
true true:)

Plastic Paddy
07/01/2004, 5:06 AM
Originally posted by tricky_colour
Just when I had given but the saga behind me Keane appears
to have raised it again.(Or perhaps the Journalists did).
I am a fan of Keane but I think "put up or shut up" is the
appropiate phrase.

To your first point, it sells papers. I blame the lazy hacks myself. And as for the second, I wholeheartedly agree. Keane has shown himself adept at ****ing on our collective bonfire as well as being a skilled media manipulator. If he cared for his country's footballing fortunes, and by extension the fans, he shouldn't make such comments as he must realise only too well the impact they have.

:D PP

Ozymandias
07/01/2004, 10:57 AM
we could do with him though....such a pity and a waste

carnstien
08/01/2004, 5:43 PM
Originally posted by Éanna
exactly. how dare everyone not worship him as the greatest thing on this planet. why not give him the nobel peace prize as well, and send mick mccarthy to the war crimes tribunal for daring to upset the poor dear. BO!!OX!

The best solution is to deport the cúnt the next time he sets foot on Irish soil, take his passport off him and reintroduce section 31 of the broadcasting act spcifically for him, so we never have to listen to the self-glorifying woe-is-me bullsh!t he insists on churning out any time he gets within 100 yards of a journalist.He's a traitor and a scumbag, not to mention being a pale shadow of the player he once was. Oh, and he still can't pass the ball more than 10 yards :rolleyes:

You are a complete *******, you have no idea what you are talking about and you have no idea whats best for the Irish team, based on that "cant pass a ball more than 10 yards" remark I doubt you have ever actually seen Roy Keane play. In my opinion Keane is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership, but I would find it hard to believe someone as uninformed as you has ever actually seen a Premiership match.

Mick McCarthy is the **** who should be deported the next time he sets foot on Irish soil, he ****ed up the best chance we will ever have to win the world cup, but its idiots like you, who didn't even realise it was possible we could win the world cup who will be lining up to give McCarthy blow-jobs every time he comes over here for a holiday.

Plastic Paddy
08/01/2004, 5:53 PM
Originally posted by carnstien
You are a complete *******, you have no idea what you are talking about and you have no idea whats best for the Irish team, based on that "cant pass a ball more than 10 yards" remark I doubt you have ever actually seen Roy Keane play. In my opinion Keane is the best passer of the ball in the Premiership, but I would find it hard to believe someone as uninformed as you has ever actually seen a Premiership match.

Mick McCarthy is the **** who should be deported the next time he sets foot on Irish soil, he ****ed up the best chance we will ever have to win the world cup, but its idiots like you, who didn't even realise it was possible we could win the world cup who will be lining up to give McCarthy blow-jobs every time he comes over here for a holiday.

And to think I reacted in another thread when you told me to get my head out of my arse! I shouldn't think Roy Keane's walking too comfortably right now with your tongue nuzzling his prostate. In case you forgot, he walked out on his country at Saipan. That means he walked out on you and me, boyo, whatever delusions you may have. But I digress.

:mad: PP

Éanna
08/01/2004, 6:35 PM

Correct- I have never watched a premiership match. Not interested. Glad to see you're reverting to the last refuge of the moronic Roy fan- claiming I'm somehow sexually attracted to Mick McCarthy. For the record (again) I never liked mccarthy and was glad to see the back of him, doesn't make judas any less the traitor. Mick McCarthy NEVER turned his back on his country, the other fella did- simple as that

carnstien
09/01/2004, 5:15 PM
Originally posted by Plastic Paddy
In case you forgot, he walked out on his country at Saipan. That means he walked out on you and me, boyo, whatever delusions you may have. But I digress.

How can you expect to argue a point logically when you don't even know what you are talking about.

Roy Keane was SENT HOME from the world cup for giving an interview with Tom Humphries of the Irish Times. He did not walk out. Clearly you don't even know what happened in Saipan and don't have a clue about football, so I'm wasting my time even trying to argue with you.

frano
09/01/2004, 8:12 PM
****in hell lads, it's getting like kicking out time at my old local in here.

Slash/ed made a totaly accurate point on the first page.

Nobody, not even Keane said he'd play for Ireland again. What he said was he feels he could still do a job for them.

I mentioned, a couple of entries before Slash/ed, that the likes of Miller would only improve their game learning from someone like Keane. I stand by that. My reasons for thinking that way are, as i said, that i think Roy Keane is one of, if not the greatest midfielder we've ever had. I stand by that aswell.

I have never thought that Keane would come back as a player, but as a part of the coaching staff, i think he could a fantastic job with the younger players.
For the younger players to be denied the opportunity to learn from Keane would be a mistake imo.

The FAI letting him return though is about as likely as a sliding roof on Lansdowne!

I also stick to what I said about Ireland being the laughing stock of world footbal AGAIN, if all sides don't draw a line over what happened in Saipan and build for the future, and we'll have a stronger midfield in the future with Keane helping out.

Plastic Paddy
09/01/2004, 8:37 PM
How can you expect to argue a point logically when you don't even know what you are talking about.

Roy Keane was SENT HOME from the world cup for giving an interview with Tom Humphries of the Irish Times. He did not walk out. Clearly you don't even know what happened in Saipan and don't have a clue about football, so I'm wasting my time even trying to argue with you.

When it comes to "knowing about football", I'll refer you to Conor's post elsewhere, and those of the other posters you've managed to wind up since you started here. The rest of us can't all be wrong.

On the Keane walkout - you were in the room when it all kicked off, were you? **** me, I need to get out more because I don't think I've ever come across someone so determined to avoid the truth as you. What an arsehole.

tricky_colour
09/01/2004, 10:06 PM
I have just had a brain wave!!

Roy Keane Player-Manager :D

carnstien
10/01/2004, 4:59 PM
Originally posted by Conor74
You think you know it all, living in London and going to games, PP.

Carnstein here can stay in his slippers and get some wide boy cockerneeee beamed into his sitting room every Saturday morning on Soccer am. Then you have Jimmy Greaves in the letters page in Shoot, and there's the backs of those Panini stickers with their info. on heights, weights and previous clubs. (Incidentally I still have three Didier Six and about seven Kerry Dixons lying somewhere). And of course then he puts on his Liverpool shirt and if lunch is served up early enough he can head down to the pub and sit with the others watching former players watch games on Sky. And then there's Dunphy and Giles too. And before you know it, it's Sunday morning, and The People and the Sunday sport can bring him right up to date because they even give player ratings out of ten (with 0 being crap and 10 being excellent). And then he can go back to the pub to watch Aston Villa play Chelsea and listen to the holy of holies, Richard Keys and Andy Gray. And then there's BBC5 and Talksport...

Sure where else would you acquire expert knowledge about football except the sitting room and the barstool? It helps you even forget the minor details like the fact that Keane had already walked out on the team (and had to go back due to Colin Healy's inability to be considered) BEFORE the Humphries interview.

Bet he's still trying to work out Eanna's one about not watching the Premiership. Eanna only goes to just about every Cork City game and Ireland match as well as being a veteran of live Spanish and German football from his time in both countries. How could he hold a candle to Carnstein and the News of the World player ratings?
You must think you are hilarious.

I can't understand why anyone would waste the ammount of time it would take to write out that ****e, get a life.

Plastic Paddy
10/01/2004, 8:18 PM
Conor, you obviously touched a nerve. Go easy on him, woodja?

;) PP

(and, for what it's worth, remind me never to upset you. I'd have no chance... :) )

frano
11/01/2004, 1:07 AM
**** me Conor, you been on the vallium mate:)

A mild mannered Conor, never thought i'd see the day.

As for Keane not being able to pass a ball 10 yards, you were pushing the boat out a bit there.

Carnstien, you fought your corner well, but as for McCarthy ****ing up our chances, I can't agree.

At the end of the day, I blame niether of them. Their fued ran for over a decade, (America springs to mind), and for any organisation to not allow two of it's middle managers, (for thats what they were in business terms), to have hard nosed clear the air talks, the moment their respective postions became so tightly linked, (ie, mananger/captain). Is a damning inditement on the way the organisation was run. No other business would allow that kind of **** to fester for so long

McCarthy nor Keane ****ed up the last world cup.

The FAI did.

Beavis
11/01/2004, 4:55 PM
Originally posted by frano
Carnstien, you fought your corner well

Did you actually read his/her posts?

Plastic Paddy
11/01/2004, 7:35 PM
I dare say that you've hit the nail right on the head there Frano with the latter bit. A great post. :)

:D PP

Éanna
11/01/2004, 7:54 PM
You must think you are hilarious.

He is hilarious, as just about ahyone who knows him will tell you. Either that or he's certifiably insane :)

scouser
12/01/2004, 1:46 PM
From a neutral perspective, I believe the lad Keane didn't walk out on the team in north korea but was sent home by a crap manager who was taking the mickie.

Scouser.

Ozymandias
12/01/2004, 2:28 PM
Just to tidy up the facts there for ya scouser....It was saipan (an island) also North korea had nothing to do with the world cup it was South Korea and Japan...

Other than that I take your point...I would be pro keane as well

scouser
13/01/2004, 9:07 AM
Originally posted by Ozymandias
Just to tidy up the facts there for ya scouser....It was saipan (an island) also North korea had nothing to do with the world cup it was South Korea and Japan...

Ta.

Scouser

Éanna
13/01/2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by scouser
From a neutral perspective,

Originally posted by Ozymandias

:rolleyes:

scouser
13/01/2004, 3:18 PM
I don't understand yer point?

tiktok
13/01/2004, 3:49 PM
Eanna was pointing out that Ozymandias is now counting the neutrals as being part of the pro-keane lobby (and quite rightly too :D )

Ozymandias
14/01/2004, 10:32 AM
lol...I think this is gonna run and run

n e way Éire Abú