PDA

View Full Version : Eleven-a-side magazine

Sheridan
29/12/2003, 4:10 PM
I presume this has long since gone to the wall, but does anyone know if it's connected to the website? Some late-night rummaging turned up a copy of the magazine's very first edition (from 1993), and a fine read it was too. Excellent club profiles of Drogheda and Shels, interviews with the late Shay Brennan and Enda McGuill and many other features. Some good anecdotes from Paul McGee (then turning out for Finn Harps at the age of 38.)

"I was playing for Galway in Waterford when I got entangled with Jim Donnelly, the ref called me over and asked my name. I told him he knew it and he went, number eleven, what's your name. I told him at that point, and then he started to be smart calling me back, saying, number eleven come here, what's your number, so I says Sligo 23589, give us a ring next time you're down my way, and the card suddenly changed from yellow to red."

Shame there's no real equivalent these days.

TommyT
29/12/2003, 6:14 PM
Some of the overtly commercial features got a bit much though, after a while I rarely bought it. Think it lasted about 3 years.

Rocky
30/12/2003, 3:44 PM
Is that the same EL magazine that was around about 3 years back? I was wonderin' what happened to that.

A face
30/12/2003, 7:06 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
Is that the same EL magazine that was around about 3 years back? I was wonderin' what happened to that.

I could be wrong but it think that is a different one !!

Would love to see something like that happen again.

EireBadBoy
31/12/2003, 2:17 AM
I remember an EL Mag, but it was'nt Eleven-A-Side......Mebbe I dreamt it :eek:

The Irish League currenty has a Magazine running and although it does have a hell of a lot of Ads (It's how Media works people!!) it is a good read - Ironically enough I bought the first issue of it on the way to Dublin!!

The website is Total Football Magazine (http://www.totalfootballmagazine.com/)

Then again, it might just be for us Brits!! :rolleyes:

Dodge
31/12/2003, 10:15 AM
The Soccer Magaizne was the good one. very well produced and very well written.

Eleven-a-Side was done by some publisher who makes its money doing GAA mags. They did pieces on the league and junior clubs and got that clubs sponsors to take ads in that month's edition. It moight work in GAA circles but it didn'tfor us.

There was also Kickin' which was ****e and aimed at kids. It concentrated mainly on International stuff but was good for pics...

gspain
31/12/2003, 11:46 AM
Thought the soccer magazine was miles ahead of eleven a side too. Went downhill though. Sad to see Bob Hennessy who wrote so much for it passed away recently too. May he rest in peace. a true devotee of Irish football.

Re Paul Magee - another good story on him was towards the end of his career - late 80's I'd guess - at Galway John Herrick took over as manager (father of Mark too no prisoners in his day). first team talk was the usual kick lumps out of the opposition until he got to Ski. "Okay Magee I want you tracking back and tackling their centre half when he comes forward". "Look boss I haven't gone into a tackle since 1972