PDA

View Full Version : FT. Drogheda Utd 0 - 0 Sligo Rovers

Pages : [1] 2

Bigone57
24/04/2009, 8:43 PM
FT. Drogheda Utd 0 - 0 Sligo Rovers
................................Ventre 45. Red card
................................Morrison 82.Red card
9 man Rovers Held by Drogs :( will we have 11 players in the squad for next week.

roversman
24/04/2009, 8:45 PM
why were they sent off
we will struggle to field a team next week alright

The Midget Gem
24/04/2009, 8:59 PM
Dissappointing stuff.
Nine games are up... Time to judge.

whiteagle
24/04/2009, 9:41 PM
Rovers don't have a consistent striker , Boco is a right back , great player class touch no finishing product , raff works his ass off but rovers cant depend on him to score every game , he's a winger not a striker & Parkhouse dosnt have pace ..... 9 games time to judge , Cook talked about the tight situation with a small squad at the start of the season but instead of stating this he should of be sorting his own squad , mauro left at the end of last season injured and came back pre season injured.. butler got injured in a car accident due to reasons we all know about , hes sauntering about the town doing nothing about his injury taking peoples hard earned money in wages every week, i say pay him off and get a striker in ? Great results the past 2 weeks but 1 point draws all season wont get us up that table , fair play to the new committee alot of effort going in in the background ..

red arrow
24/04/2009, 10:53 PM
ok it does not read to good as far as dicipline is concerned but to get a point with 9 men is ok by me. cook was also sent to the stand but then again we know his passion for the game. we will struggle next week but there is a good fighting spirit in the squod. i wonder was o grady playing tonight. if not and he gets back next week it will be a help. somebody else posted here "time to judge" taking all into consideration (what happened pre season etc) i think we did all right. i say its time to judge the supporters to see how well they will get behind the team and the club regarding the groundwork for europe.
remember we have not officially got the go ahead to hold the european game in the showgrounds yet. any offers to help to do some groundwork and sell some tickets

Red&White Rover
24/04/2009, 11:10 PM
Dissappointing stuff.

We had 9 men in all fairness...

celticV3
24/04/2009, 11:11 PM
Dissappointing stuff.

Fickle, simple as.

sligoman
25/04/2009, 12:13 AM
Drogheda are easily the worst team I've seen in the Premier Division in years. We had plenty of chances to score, just didn't take them. Richie Winters and his linesman were an absolute disgrace, they were getting simple things wrong...I've come to expect that in this league at this stage. We were by far the better team, not a bad result for 9 players against 12, but we really had the better chances so should have won.

It makes the Cork game even harder now with Cook and 2 players suspended:(

Rovers fan
25/04/2009, 1:05 AM
Yeah drogheda were awful,never looked like scoring. Out of the two sides,we were probably more likely to score with 9 men. We had a few chances early in the first 25 minutes,probably should have scored. I'd say we could have gone on to win it were it not for ventre's red card.

I know he's a legend, and ya can't change him but what a stupid red card. Lunging in like that when there was no danger:mad:

We're down to the bare bones now. Peers was excellent as per usual and boco and raf were causing problems until we went down to ten men. Raf had a great chance at the start of the second half aswell,but the defender nicked in. Ryan didn't have his best game of the season. Also doc got injured. Cash worked hard when he came on,deserves a his chance imo over the next few games. I'd rather not talk about Morrison.

Richie winter is an incompetent **** and the linesman isn't much better. The lino made one disgraceful mistake in the second half for a throw in, thankfully winter overruled him.

All in all it's two points dropped, as most teams will beat them. Doesn't matter how many players/manager were sent off,we still didn't win the game. I suppose we were bound to get injuries this season considering we got so few last season. Still I think we are good nick if we get lads fit again and when suspensions are up.......

Bigone57
25/04/2009, 1:19 AM
Looks likes its goina to be a long hard Winters.

dong
25/04/2009, 1:34 AM
Wouldn't be overly disappointed with the result. I was afraid they might turn us over.
Going to be tough for Cork. What was Morrisson sent off for does anyone know?

Rovers fan
25/04/2009, 1:36 AM
Dissent I think.

srfc1928
25/04/2009, 1:47 AM
Agree with Sligoman & Roversfan
The referee was a disgrace,
for a game with little or no malice he had no control.
we as a club have not complained about any officals this season or very litttle in the past.
but this would have not have happened to a so called bigger club
Even with 9 men we were still the better team
very frustrating, considering we had 200 supporters at the game,
many of which travelled for the guts of 4 hours on largely secondry roads.
but the FAI never think of these things:mad:

Well Red
25/04/2009, 7:58 AM
The referee and one of the lines men were a disgrace, I was beside the manager when the linesman complained to the ref about Cook who had just asked a straight question. The referee did not favout either side and threw cards round like confetti. I have never seen a worse official and the Drogs supporters were of the same opinion, there was hardly a bad tackle in the game, could not see Ventre from where I was,,he did seem to go in hard in his particular style.
We should flood the FAI Email with complaints, perhaps they might look into to it. Wonder was anyone watching the ref officially from the FAI. We will have difficulty in fielding a side next week as Doherty also went off early with an injury. Fighting performance under the circumstances but officials are killing the game here in Ireland.

Brian Boru
25/04/2009, 8:53 AM
At the start of the match a giant Drogheda flag with 12 written on it caught my eye. As the game evolved I realized it was supporting their 12th man: the ref. O'Grady was sorely missed. Very disappointing match.

happydays97
25/04/2009, 9:01 AM
I know he's a legend

Danny Ventre, A Sligo Rovers Legend????

I hope you are joking!!!

stamullendrog
25/04/2009, 10:10 AM
i have to say the ref was shocking for drogheda too lots of grumbling about him after the game which shows how bad he was considering ye were the one with two players sent off and the manager too.when i seen paul cook standing just up at the club house after he was sent off i was hoping he was waiting to deck the ref after the game!!!!

Rovers1
25/04/2009, 10:21 AM
Very frustrating night. Morrison deserved his red, you dont scream a refs for making a decision, bad or good. Couldnt see Ventre's 'lunge' so i wont comment. Winters, yet again, was shocking. If a player didnt win a 50/50, he was booked. You could tell after 15 minutes it would end 0-0.

Down to the bones on Friday, hopefully we'll see McTiernan starting and O'Grady back.

SligoBrewer
25/04/2009, 10:39 AM
Dissent I think.

I thought he stamped on the Drogheda centre back as he was going through underneath with his sliding tackle.

SligoBrewer
25/04/2009, 10:43 AM
http://extratime.ie/fixtures/detail/11421/2/

Report up btw. Not me who wrote it. :)

Inside Man
25/04/2009, 10:45 AM
You can be guaranteed Danny Ventre will let you down. I've always being saying it. Could have lost us the game in Derry as well with a stupid foul that should have been a penalty, also against Galway this year and Galway last year with his penalty in league cup, need i say more.
I kept my silence until the nine games were up like Cook wanted. I took Avvenalafs lead. After 9 games i can tell you free of charge we will win nothing this year, and be a shame to the league in Europe.
The one positive of the year was the win in Derry, and that doesn't look all that great seeing Dundalk went there and won, shows Derry have big problems at home, so the win up there isn't as big a coup as we may think. Other than the Derry game we have been pathetic this season, like i have been saying all along we will end up in a relegation battle, and i predict us finishing second last, only for Drogs being so bad we would be down this year. So we can count ourselves lucky. Drogheda are easily one of the worst teams i have seen in the premier for a while.
Annoyed i went to that last night as it was spoiled by that ref.

Pile your money on Cork btw.

Rory H
25/04/2009, 10:51 AM
I really hope no one bites......

Rovers1
25/04/2009, 10:53 AM
Inside man, its getting old now.

Brewer, thought Morrison was sent off for screaming at the ref after he did'nt get a free kick. Did he actually make contact with the Drogs player?

Boo_Boy
25/04/2009, 11:00 AM

Pile our money on Cork for what?, to go down or win the league?

Either way you're an idiot..

--

Anyways, i don't agree with this whole judge after 9 games like Cook said. We still don't have Butler or Mauro available.

When Cook has the BEST players at the club available to him i will start judging...Were only 5 points off 3rd place FFS :rolleyes:.

sligofan4ever
25/04/2009, 11:11 AM
You can be guaranteed Danny Ventre will let you down. I've always being saying it. Could have lost us the game in Derry as well with a stupid foul that should have been a penalty, also against Galway this year and Galway last year with his penalty in league cup, need i say more.
I kept my silence until the nine games were up like Cook wanted. I took Avvenalafs lead. After 9 games i can tell you free of charge we will win nothing this year, and be a shame to the league in Europe.
The one positive of the year was the win in Derry, and that doesn't look all that great seeing Dundalk went there and won, shows Derry have big problems at home, so the win up there isn't as big a coup as we may think. Other than the Derry game we have been pathetic this season, like i have been saying all along we will end up in a relegation battle, and i predict us finishing second last, only for Drogs being so bad we would be down this year. So we can count ourselves lucky. Drogheda are easily one of the worst teams i have seen in the premier for a while.
Annoyed i went to that last night as it was spoiled by that ref.

I have to disagree with you about how you said we are pathetic. We needed a win to get our confidence and it did, from that match to the Bohemians game we have been playing great football (can't say how we played against Drogs). As Boy Boy said, we don't have our best 11 yet when Mauro and Butler return our back 4 will be better. Doe's anyone anyone who was at the match last night think the absence of Conor O Grady had any affect on us ?

Shedzer
25/04/2009, 11:49 AM
I know he's a legend
Danny Ventre is the stupidest player i've ever seen who does he think he is Vinny Jones. because of this so called legend three points were lost last night. I've no dought we would've taken them apart in the second half. I prefer not to talk about Morrison.

Jeebus
25/04/2009, 11:59 AM
I really hope no one bites......

I nearly did:eek:

dong
25/04/2009, 12:10 PM
Danny Ventre is the stupidest player i've ever seen who does he think he is Vinny Jones. because of this so called legend three points were lost last night. I've no dought we would've taken them apart in the second half. I prefer not to talk about Morrison.
I was never Danny's biggest fan but he was always a midfielder, not a centre half. He's been playing out of position all season. And he saved our skins in Derry realistically because we had no one else. Also against Bohs. The two best teams in the country could only put one past us with Ventre in centre defence. Give us a break lads. Unbelievably quick to stick the knife in here.

showgies
25/04/2009, 12:47 PM
I thought he stamped on the Drogheda centre back as he was going through underneath with his sliding tackle.

That's what I thought too.

I couldn't really see the Ventre lunge, I remember thinking to myself, "easy Danny, no need to jump in here". Wasn't the ball already gone for a throw? Foolish man. I am no fan of Danny but up to that point he was doing well, marshalling the defence. I genuinely think he got himself needlessly wound up, particularly when he heard the chanting of his name. The boy needs to grow up.

Am I the only one who thinks that we actually looked a little more assured when Feeney went in Centre Half? I thought so after the Galway game and the same last night.

Despite having 9 men, we could have won the game, we certainly had the chances. Good crowd from Sligo, fair play to all who travelled.

Da Real Rover
25/04/2009, 12:47 PM
Danny Ventre mighten be the most talented player in our squad but he is certainly one of the most commited.
I think he has really improved his consistency and his overall quality in defence.
Granted he does make a few rash challenges every once and a while but thats part and parcell of his game.
Every once and a while a tough tackling player of his style slips up, its an inevitability.
So maybe next time the keyboard generals who are so quick to criticise when we have a player who doesnt show commitment or heart can at least appreciate that Danny always gives 110%, thats why hes a rovers legend.

Rovers fan
25/04/2009, 12:49 PM
I genuinely think he got himself needlessly wound up, particularly when he heard the chanting of his name.

Was thinking the same meself.

But at least he gives his all,unlike our other red carded player:mad:

The Midget Gem
25/04/2009, 1:18 PM
Fickle, simple as.
Sorry but i fail to see how fickle that is? I was merely pointing out how i was dissappointed with the result, like a few on here, and i also was cueing up Avvenlaf nine game spinner, as i knew he'd come out of the closet.
After all, wasnt it Cook who said 'judge his team after nine games', hence: 'nine games up... time to judge'. Honestly i fail to see your angle on this?:confused:

There's no doubt Danny is sometimes a liability at the back. I understand that he does give 110% and i love that in a player. But at times he does jump around as if there's nothing between his ears.
Hopefully O'Grady will be back for Cork. Looks like Noctor might get another chance as well.

Red&White Rover
25/04/2009, 1:37 PM
Sorry but i fail to see how fickle that is? I was merely pointing out how i was dissappointed with the result, like a few on here, and i also was cueing up Avvenlaf nine game spinner, as i knew he'd come out of the closet.
After all, wasnt it Cook who said 'judge his team after nine games', hence: 'nine games up... time to judge'. Honestly i fail to see your angle on this?:confused:

We drew 0-0 with 9 men, and by all accounts could well have won.

We had a shocking poor start to the season. Our performances were woeful, but the last 4 games has seen a great turnaround by the players.

We're missing key players through injury, and already have a bare squad.

What do you expect? Us to be challenging for the league?

Come off it.

ndrog
25/04/2009, 1:38 PM
i know its all ifs and buts ! but if we had a striker on the pitch last night we would have won that game easily .We played some nice football but have no clue when we get up around the box . Sligo looked liked one of the worst teams to play in utd pk this season tbh , even with ten men you were very poor .We need joxer , shane barrett and robbie farrel fit if we are gonna have any chance of survival .

sligoman
25/04/2009, 1:43 PM
Sligo looked liked one of the worst teams to play in utd pk this season tbh , even with ten men you were very poor .But yet we were still the most likely to win the game...really shows how bad you are.

Winters ruined the game, if it was 11 Vs. 11 I'm confident we'd have got the 3 points.

The Midget Gem
25/04/2009, 1:56 PM
We drew 0-0 with 9 men, and by all accounts could well have won.

We had a shocking poor start to the season. Our performances were woeful, but the last 4 games has seen a great turnaround by the players.

We're missing key players through injury, and already have a bare squad.

What do you expect? Us to be challenging for the league?

Come off it.
Yes thats exactly what i expect us winning the league:rolleyes:

We were playing Drogs who are the worst team in the league, missing alot of their best players, and who had only picked up 2 points out of 24. Of course i was dissappointed when i heard the result. Never mind that we were down to 9 men. I was expressing my dissappointment that we did not beat such a poor team. Its not like i came out and said it was a shambles, and that we are going to get relegated. I merely stated my dissappointment at not beating the worst team in the league. And you come out and slate it? I've read alot worse in this thread.
Come off it yourself:rolleyes:

celticV3
25/04/2009, 2:08 PM
It was cook who said after 9 games let the team be judged, something tells me that you wouldn't be raising the issue of the 9 games if the three points had been secured last night, which makes your raising it because of a draw last night, in my opinion, fickle.

I think we're all slightly disappointed as it was an away game that we could and possibly should have picked up 3 points from, but a bit of perspective. We finished the game with cook in the stands and 9 men on the field. I think most would settle for a draw in those circumstances.

In regards to the nine games. If you haven't seen the dramatic turn around in the team in the last few games then your always going to be a sceptic. Cook has been able to gel a team together with a lot of new players and get them playing some of the best football in the league and getting results against the big teams in the league. where exactly is he faltering can I ask?

What is your evaluation after 9 games?

Sicuani
25/04/2009, 3:23 PM
People talk about Ventre being committment, this "Committment" has lost your club two points last night, this "Committment" should have caused you some point in The Bradywell, this "Committment" is just an excuse for rash and dangerous tackles, this "Committment" is a sign of a player who cannot control himself on the pitch. If all you are after is committment, and not skill...then i suggest you sign this lot...http://www.vysoke-myto.cz/portal/images/stories/kalendar/the_commitments.jpg

roversforever
25/04/2009, 4:48 PM
People talk about Ventre being committment, this "Committment" has lost your club two points last night, this "Committment" should have caused you some point in The Bradywell, this "Committment" is just an excuse for rash and dangerous tackles, this "Committment" is a sign of a player who cannot control himself on the pitch. If all you are after is committment, and not skill...then i suggest you sign this lot...http://www.vysoke-myto.cz/portal/images/stories/kalendar/the_commitments.jpg

Your contribution is much appreciated and will be taken on board..........

forza rovers
25/04/2009, 5:02 PM
people are very quick to judge a player that gives it their all,other players who put no effort in don't get criticised its a joke give the lad a chance hes up there playing out of position.if he was not good enough he wouldn't be in cooks team

roversforever
25/04/2009, 6:33 PM
sorry i was being sarcastic there in case anybody thought i was agreeing with that lad!

Da Real Rover
25/04/2009, 6:51 PM

Funny stuff.
So what he makes an odd rash challenge?
For the rest of the 90 minutes he is largely dependable and has improved his consistency no end.
He actually played a blinder against Bohs IMO.
I would rather a dependable player like Ventre that does get sent off every few games than a ****e player who doesnt get sent off and doesnt perform either.
Its remarkable how those who bash Ventre dont even comment on his defensive abilities.

chatterbox
25/04/2009, 7:09 PM
Lads. I know that the match officials were poor last night but just consider if you had put away one of your first half chances last night and went in at half time up 1 nil. If the seconds half went as it did and we failed to score against you 10 and then 9 men, you would have being aclaiming your team as heros. Stop all this critism of your team, they did exceptionally well last night against all the odds. I thought the first red card was deserved and cound not see what the second was for. But going home after the match having seen 6 yellow cards, 2 red cards and a manager sent off would give the impresion that there was a war when there was not even a shot fired in anger. Sickening to see games being destroyed by stupid refereering.

On another note, this is a big year for Sligo Rovers. Good luck to ye in Europe and I would advise anyone that supports Sligo to beg, borrow or do what you have to to get to the European away match(es). Don't let this oportunity pass. Wear your couours and Name with pride wherever you go. You may never get this chance again.

The Midget Gem
25/04/2009, 10:25 PM
something tells me that you wouldn't be raising the issue of the 9 games if the three points had been secured last night
You don't have to believe me, and im sure you won't, but i would definitely have said it, maybe not 10 minutes after the final whistle but i would have mentioned it. We'll see it mentioned in the paper during the week by Cook no doubt. Bet you won't be calling Cook fickle.:rolleyes:

which makes your raising it because of a draw last night, in my opinion, fickle.

After 9 games i can tell you free of charge we will win nothing this year, and be a shame to the league in Europe.
The one positive of the year was the win in Derry, and that doesn't look all that great seeing Dundalk went there and won, shows Derry have big problems at home, so the win up there isn't as big a coup as we may think. Other than the Derry game we have been pathetic this season, like i have been saying all along we will end up in a relegation battle, and i predict us finishing second last, only for Drogs being so bad we would be down this year. So we can count ourselves lucky.
Hilarious the way you think I'm fickle.:rolleyes:

Red&White Rover
25/04/2009, 10:43 PM

If you can't see that Inside Man is just a WUM....Nobody bothers really replying to him anymore.

red bellied
25/04/2009, 10:49 PM
Feeney is a good footballer and has been playing in the Showgrounds since Cassidy was manager. Centre half looks like his position in the 15 minutes I seen against Galway and should be given his chance against Cork. Ithink he played centre half with O Dwyer whe n O Riordan was the manager. Actually he knocked Shels out of the cup when Fenlon was their manager, the Ollie Keogh famous goal match.

SligoBrewer
25/04/2009, 10:54 PM
Feeney is a good footballer and has been playing in the Showgrounds since Cassidy was manager. Centre half looks like his position in the 15 minutes I seen against Galway and should be given his chance against Cork. Ithink he played centre half with O Dwyer whe n O Riordan was the manager. Actually he knocked Shels out of the cup when Fenlon was their manager, the Ollie Keogh famous goal match.

Hi Sean, how're you doing these days?:p

celticV3
26/04/2009, 2:02 PM
You don't have to believe me, and im sure you won't, but i would definitely have said it, maybe not 10 minutes after the final whistle but i would have mentioned it. We'll see it mentioned in the paper during the week by Cook no doubt. Bet you won't be calling Cook fickle.:rolleyes:
If cook mentions the 9 games I'm sure he'll make similar points to the ones I just made there. He has been able to gel together a team with a few new faces and been able in the last number of games to get the team playing the great football that we were playing last year. No doubt the team is far from perfection but their has been a serious turn around in the team and cook doing a great job with resources available over the last few games.

What's even more hilarious is you comparing yourself to a wum. Most should look well after comparing themselves to inside man.

Well Red
26/04/2009, 7:23 PM
Cretaro has been playing very well this season and he is obviously very sharp but I said it after the Derry game, he needs to time his runs better as again especially in the first half he got caught offside several times.
Havings two tiny men up front does limit the options in attacking, good as Boco and Cretaro are we do need a target man even if he only comes on as an impact sub. The few times I saw Feeney he impressed me and this guy should get a more extended run and I guess with the shortage of players now that is likely to happen for the next few weeks.

brianw82
26/04/2009, 7:35 PM
Cretaro has been playing very well this season and he is obviously very sharp but I said it after the Derry game, he needs to time his runs better as again especially in the first half he got caught offside several times.
Havings two tiny men up front does limit the options in attacking, good as Boco and Cretaro are we do need a target man even if he only comes on as an impact sub. The few times I saw Feeney he impressed me and this guy should get a more extended run and I guess with the shortage of players now that is likely to happen for the next few weeks.

Aye, he'll probably come in but he'll be needed in defence more so than attack with Ventre suspended. Even with Danny back, I think he should get a run at CB just to see how he does. If he's willing to play there and that allows Danny to cover for O'Grady in central midfield, that's a positive thing, I reckon.

I wasn't at the game, so all I have to go on are the reports and what's been posted here, but on the subject of Morrison's sending off, in my mind there's just no excuse for getting booked for dissent. You're walking a tightrope for the rest of the game afterwards and there's always the chance that a mistimed tackle will be your ticket to an early bath. I know players get caught up in the heat of the moment and all that, but these are full-time pros, and non-professional behaviour like this means he's letting his team down both during the game, and the following week while suspended. Must do better.