PDA

View Full Version : Rep Ireland U18 vs England U18 Schools

Junior
24/04/2009, 11:26 AM
Live on Sky Sports tonight, sorry if I missed a thread on this but couldnt see one anywhere.

24/04/’09: Ireland U18 Schools v England U18 Schools, RSC, Waterford 7.35 pm

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND PANEL

No. 1 Aaron MCCAREY - St. Macartan’s College
No. 2 Neil HARNEY - St. Aloysius College
No. 3 Ian STORAN - Crescent College Comprehensive
No. 4 Garvan BROUGHALL - Athlone Community College
No. 5 Tomas BOYLE - Salesian College
No. 6 Jason HUGHES - CBS Sexton Street, Limerick
No. 7 Gary BURKE - Larkin Community College
No. 8 Paul CORRY - Belvedere College
No. 9 Carl FORSYTH - Cabinteely Community School
No. 10 Shane HOWARD - Colaiste Eoin, Hacketstown, Carlow
No. 11 Brian GAFFNEY - St. Joseph’s College, Galway
No. 12 Andrew BOYLE - Colaiste Phadraig CBS, Lucan
No. 13 James KEOHANE - CBS Kilkenny
No. 14 Jason DWANE - St. Peter’s College, Dunboyne
No. 15 Robert BENSON - Marist College, Athlone
No. 16 Gerard HANLEY - St. Joseph’s College, Galway
No. 17 Danny FALLON - Sancta Maria College
No. 18 Cillian MORRISON - St. Eunan’s College, Letterkenny

Dodge
24/04/2009, 12:31 PM
Its Ireland schools, not Ireland u18

Good bit of a difference in fairness

Junior
24/04/2009, 12:35 PM
U18 Schools - no?

Take your point, regardless, its on the box for those interested.

geysir
24/04/2009, 1:39 PM
It's u18 Schools Internationals /Schools International u18
Schools u18 / U18 Schools
take your pick.

I'd watch it but I'm not a sky subscriber.

Stuttgart88
24/04/2009, 3:15 PM
No Terenure College kids? Not interested :)

geysir
24/04/2009, 3:34 PM
Mostly culchees.

SunderlandBohs
24/04/2009, 3:49 PM
So it's a school international? That explains why England and Scotland were wearing different kits than their national teams last Friday. Does it count as an international? Still counts as a great to represent your country at any sport at any level.

DmanDmythDledge
24/04/2009, 3:52 PM
Does it count as an international?
No, it does not.

Dodge
24/04/2009, 3:54 PM
So it's a school international? That explains why England and Scotland were wearing different kits than their national teams last Friday. Does it count as an international? Still counts as a great to represent your country at any sport at any level.

Technically its not an international as its open to pupils attending school in the individual countries, and there's no nationality barrier. There's been a couple of Nigerian lads who have played for the Irish schools side, and one of the more famous examples is Ryan Giggs who played for England schools as his school was in England.

Still a great honour though. Particularly for the lads who stayed in Ireland and look to finish their schooling. The Ireland u18 team tends to be made up of lads at academies in England and Scotland (with a few home based players obviously). That fact means the impressive Irish performances thuis year are even better IMO

SunderlandBohs
24/04/2009, 4:02 PM
Technically its not an international as its open to pupils attending school in the individual countries, and there's no nationality barrier. There's been a couple of Nigerian lads who have played for the Irish schools side, and one of the more famous examples is Ryan Giggs who played for England schools as his school was in England.

Still a great honour though. Particularly for the lads who stayed in Ireland and look to finish their schooling. The Ireland u18 team tends to be made up of lads at academies in England and Scotland (with a few home based players obviously). That fact means the impressive Irish performances thuis year are even better IMO
So you don't have to Irish just attend school here to play? I can remember the the Ryan Giggs thing alright.

strangeirish
24/04/2009, 7:01 PM
Game on here..0-0 so far

http://www.justin.tv/vip_football_2/popout

strangeirish
24/04/2009, 7:20 PM
Irish lads playing a nice bit of ball...England sitting back.

SkStu
24/04/2009, 7:23 PM
irish are generally dominating. Looking good. that right winger looks decent. (im only watching in patches as i am at work)

strangeirish
24/04/2009, 7:30 PM
0-0 at the half. England attacked a bit more in the last ten minutes. Ireland dominated possession in the first half and looked very comfortable on the ball. Unlucky not to have a goal or two. English keeper looks good.

DmanDmythDledge
24/04/2009, 7:32 PM
We're 11/5 with Boyles to win. I haven't been watching- are we worth a punt? Draw is 11/8, England win 13/8.

SkStu
24/04/2009, 7:34 PM
from what i have seen - if youre going to bet, go small on the win or large on the draw.

strangeirish
24/04/2009, 7:35 PM
We're 11/5 with Boyles to win. I haven't been watching- are we worth a punt? Draw is 11/8, England win 13/8.
We looked very good, but I'll leave it at that, as I don't want to jinx ye.;)

DmanDmythDledge
24/04/2009, 7:44 PM
Some intersting stats:

In our last 10 meetings with England at this level we have only lost once, winning six of those games.
We've beaten Wales and NI so far this season, draw with Scotland.
England beat Scotland but lost to NI.

So I've decided to put a fiver on us at 11/5.;)

SkStu
24/04/2009, 7:52 PM
good double chance from a corner there.

strangeirish
24/04/2009, 7:59 PM
Good chance at each end there. Nice break by the Irish lads.

strangeirish
24/04/2009, 8:15 PM
1 down...

New link

http://www.justin.tv/vip_football_3

tetsujin1979
24/04/2009, 8:26 PM
link down
stream available here: http://www.justin.tv/vip_football_2

longfordjames
24/04/2009, 8:36 PM
ireland 4 6 and 8 look good

Legendary Bear
24/04/2009, 10:26 PM
Congrats to Thomas Boyle, centre half for Leixlip United Under 17s and definitely one for the future.

Predator
25/04/2009, 1:55 PM
I only caught glimpses of the game. I was pleased to see that we had 'dominated' the statistics, but when I watched the game, I saw that the team wasn't able to play football in the middle of the park at all. The manager seemed content to let play flood down the flanks, where we weren't getting many clear-cut chances. I was always wary of England's ability on the counter-attack too, as they seemed much too comfortable sitting back. Since we had effectively dominated, I was disappointed to find out the young lads had lost 1-0. Nevertheless there appeared to be a collection of talented players out there. Burke stood out for me in the minutes I watched.

Stuttgart88
25/04/2009, 2:21 PM
Ger Hanley - wasn't he the keeper at the U17 World Cup in Turkey? He really impressed me in that tournament.

gspain
12/03/2010, 2:32 PM
Rather than start a new thread anybody know the venue for the Northern Ireland game next Wednesday. It was originally meant to be Athlone but now has "Midlands venue" on the FAIS site.

BTW the England game on April 30th at Burton Albion will also be live on Sky again this year.

Dodge
12/03/2010, 4:59 PM
Just looking back at that team. McCarey has signed for Wolves (after starring for Monaghan i LOI) and harney has signed for Pats.

gspain
13/03/2010, 10:02 AM
venue now changed from midlands venue to venue tbc

Anybody know what is happening?

ifk101
13/03/2010, 11:46 AM
Just looking back at that team. McCarey has signed for Wolves (after starring for Monaghan i LOI) and harney has signed for Pats.

Quite a few names there that are now regulars with LOI clubs.

Ger Hanley - Mervue.
Jason Hughes - Limerick.
Paul Corry - UCD.
James Keohane - Wexford
Robbie Benson - Athlone.

Alf Honn
13/03/2010, 2:01 PM
venue now changed from midlands venue to venue tbc

Anybody know what is happening?

Tullamore FC, 2.30pm

gspain
17/03/2010, 5:09 PM
We lost 1-0. I didn't get a teamsheet and the programme had only squad lists so no line ups. NI won with an early goal after approx 10 minutes. A snap shot from the edge of the box.

NI dominated the first half although the RoI centre forward missed 2 gilt edged chances incl failing to hit the target from 6 yards out unmarked with only the keeper to beat. We were much better
after the break in the main thanks to 2 subs at half time and 1 early in the 2nd half. We dominated possession and territory aided by a strong wind without seriously threatening the keeper. NI did hit the woodwork with
about 10 minutes to go.

The crowd was approx 300. Best for us was the sub number 18.

Appreciate this isn't much of a report. www.fais.ie will have a proper one at some stage.

Predator
17/03/2010, 10:57 PM
Cool stuff gspain. That sounds like a good crowd for a schools game. That's more than what you'd get at some LOI grounds!

geysir
18/03/2010, 12:37 AM
200 of them were FAI scouts.

Predator
18/03/2010, 2:30 PM
FAI match report here: http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=100758&catid=15&Itemid=25

I think at least 4 of those lads in the NI team are playing with Derry, but I'm not sure.

DmanDmythDledge
18/03/2010, 4:18 PM
Quite a few names there that are now regulars with LOI clubs.

Ger Hanley - Mervue.
Jason Hughes - Limerick.
Paul Corry - UCD.
James Keohane - Wexford
Robbie Benson - Athlone.
Danny Fallon and Tomas Boyle are both with UCD as well.

gspain
26/03/2010, 10:56 AM
Good win in Haverfordwest last night for the schoolboys team.

report from www.fais.ie

http://www.fais.ie/news/324/solitary-goal-enough-for-ireland-u18-schools-against-wales/

The Republic of Ireland Under-18 Schools' team clinched a vital Centenary Shield win against Wales on Thursday night in Haverfordwest reports John Fallon.

After losing their opening game to Northern Ireland on St. Patrick's Day, Ireland were chasing a win to redeem their title aspirations.

And it was late call-up Sean Brosnan of St. Patrick's School in Castleisland who supplied the only goal of the game on 17 minutes.

Brosnan was the only newcomer to the squad from the panel that faced Wales. His elevation arose due to the unavailability of Marwan Azimi because of club commitments.

He displayed predatory instincts in a crowded goalmouth to seize upon the loose ball and slam home after the Wales goalkeeper was unable to gather Sean Skelly's stinging 25-yard free-kick.

In rain-soaked conditions, Ireland coped well and should have been further ahead by the break.

Robbie Benson and Gary Shaw each missed chances but the closest Ireland came to grabbing a second was through Brosnan, who capitalised upon a mis-hit back-pass to go through one on one with the goalkeeper but he was denied this time by the netminder.

Wales came more into the game in the second half without causing Ireland goalkeeper Josh Byrne or his defence much concern.

Ireland saw out the game in comfortable fashion and can look forward to next week's game at home to Scotland with optimism.

Dave Archbold, manager of Ireland, said: "We needed this win and the victory puts the destiny of the trophy back in our hands.

"It was good all-round performance and we probably could be won by more.

"We've two games remaining in the campaign, firstly on Good Friday against Scotland at Ballybofey before meeting England in what could be the decider on April 30 at Burton Albion. It's up to us to win those matches and take the trophy."

REPUBLIC OF IRELAND: Josh Byrne (De La Salle, Waterford); Brian Nolan (St Paul's CC), Jason Dwane (St. Peter's College), Tomas Boyle (Salesian College), Nathan Murphy (Colaiste Ris); Daryl Horgan (St. Enda's College, Galway), Sean Skelly (St. Joseph's Fairview), Hugh Douglas (St. Brendan's College); Gary Shaw (Patrician SS), Robbie Benson (Marist College), Sean Brosnan (St. Patrick's SS, Castleisland).

Substitutions: Daragh Walshe (St. Kieran's College) for Shaw (h/t), Stephen Chambers (St. Fintan's) for Skelly (60 mins), Tom O'Halloran (Athlone CC) for Brosnan (65 mins), Barry O'Mahony (Summerhill College) for Benson (80 mins)

Kildare Lad
02/04/2010, 11:52 PM
Bet Scotland 5-2 tonight I believe, fair play lads.

gspain
03/04/2010, 7:55 PM
Great win - full report here

http://www.fais.ie/news/331/ireland-enjoy-victory-over-scotland/

If we beat England in Burton at the end of the month we win the tournament.

Razors left peg
03/04/2010, 11:41 PM
just havin a look at the team lists there. Its a bit strange that theres not even one player from the All Ireland Champions St Marys from Galway

MuckaTucka
15/04/2010, 1:35 PM
The Centenary Shield decider is live on Sky Sports on Friday the 30th of April 2010 from Burton, KO. 7.40pm.

The lost 2-1 to New Zealand in a friendly on Monday but were missing 5 players, and most of the Irish team had played over the weekend for their clubs.

Predator
15/04/2010, 2:25 PM
The NI schools game on tomorrow night on Sky Sports 3 might also make interesting viewing. This NI team thrashed the New Zealand team 6-1 and beat the Republic 1-0. Tommy McBride, who was recently called up for our U19s, is in the squad as are a number of other Derry lads, including Andy Devlin (who is captain), Robbie Hume (who was supposed to make a move to Blackpool at the start of the season), Darren Coyle and Matty Harkin.